IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

how to identify an avathar?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Every avathar of vishnu has only been for the uphold of the vedic dharma.No Avathar preaches to go against vedic dharma.Avathars of karthikeya like sanath kumar, Kumarila pattar and thirugnana sambandhar all stressed vedas and their importance.Avathar of shiva, adi shankara preached the vedic way of life. The last avathar Samartha Ramdoss too did the same thing.The main concept was vedas and not them.

Every avathar before kali yoga asked to worship them.But every avathar in kali yuga-kumarila pattar,sambandhar,adi shankara,samartha ramdoss all stressed only bakthi to lord.They did not ask followers to worship them.So we can understand from this that in Kali yuga an avathar

1) Will never preach against vedas.

2)Will never ask people to worship them.

3)Will make people worship bhramman only.

All others claiming as avathars are'nt one.

Purpose and Necessity of Advent of a God Man.

From time immemorial, many great spiritual men of immense diversity and caliber are born in India. In fact, the main, and probably the only, contribution of India is in the field of spirituality. India has seen great seers recounting their direct experiences of superconscious reality as the Vedas and the Upanishads. Moreover, the great Yogi and Avatar Purusha Sri Krishna assures in the Bhagavad Gita about the advent of great spiritual giants whenever the Dharma (righteousness or religion) is in crisis on is on the decline.

This concept of decline in Dharma must be properly understood if one wants to clearly decipher the meaning of life and teachings of Sri Ramakrishna. The decline in Dharma means: in a given culture and social perception the aim of human life has shifted its focus from realization of our true nature i. e. divinity within, and instead the majority of people have taken to the life of satisfying worldly and bodily needs such as eating, drinking, and making merry. The superconscious dimension to our personality is forgotten in the din and bustle of materialistic cravings and sense enjoyment. With such a culture come selfishness, hate, jealousy, and passionate swings in the mood of the masses. The wars and exploitation, want and hunger, disease and epidemics are the natural side effects of gross materialism. This is known as decline in Dharma.

The purpose of the Avatar Purusha is to guide the devotees and seekers after the Truth to the path that would lead them to the royal goal of transcendental realization. The confusion created by the insistence on the glorification and importance of materialistic achievements puts doubts in the minds of the aspirants after the Truth. Who is right? -- The one who takes to the path of renunciation, selfless service, meditation, and worship, or the one who strives and achieves comforts, name, fame, and luxuries and success in the external world? This dilemma in the society, and consequently its expression at national and international level, must be resolved, or else the pain and suffering of the humanity puts doubts about the purpose and aim of the human birth itself. Depression, despondency, nervous breakdown, and similar psychiatry illnesses are added to the life of mere sensual engagements; they become the order of the day. Reason and rationality give way to chaos and mediocrity; human life, which is divine and blissful, becomes drudgery.

Moreover, the British ways of Macaulay to introduce new education system that was to prove harmful for Indian spiritual ethos, and social reform movements of liberal educated Indian intelligentsia, created the need for incarnation or saviour of Dharma. In such a situation of purposelessness all around, the gracious and compassionate Reality incarnated as Avatar Purusha to lead, teach, and guide the humankind to the goal of Self-realization as the sole aim in life.

Great Seers in ancient and recent past, e.g. Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa (1836-1886), experimented with the truths of Vedanta. Although they touched upon all the notes of 'vedantic flute', the tune of Advaita Vedanta alone stood the test of severest scrutiny and investigations as a tool to reach to the highest Knowledge. It was based on 'in-depth study of internal nature'. Later, they exhorted, overtly or covertly, all their disciples to follow that path. They told to keep the knowledge of Advaita well within their grasp and roam in the world. No ill would then befall them; they could never be wrong. However, for those devotees who initially feel uneasy with the appeal of Advaita and thereby may get diffident or even frightened, they advocated path of qualified monism; path of Bhakti and path of Karma blended with path of Jnana or knowledge.

It should be clear to us that such Men of God or 'knowers' of Advaita Truths do not solely concern themselves with eradication of evil in the world. Their principal mission on the earth is to establish perfection and excellence in the means of acquisition of highest knowledge of Unity, Divinity of each soul. Only a few gifted persons understand this mission of transcending reason and reach the state of intuitive knowledge. To these devotees specifically the 'avatar' first addresses his/her teachings, or only such rare souls understand the language of Spirit.

From above we can understand that Sri Krishna was an Avatar Purusha. The question is how does one become so and the answer is if in this life one follows the path of Dharma surely in his next birth he too would become an Avatar Purusha with such powers as Sri Krishna. Coming back to the identity of an Avatar one only needs to look at a person's mode of conduct and preachings. Preaching against the vedas would be wrong but one can interprete the vedas in meaning that would accomadate the present situation is acceptable. Worshiping an Avatar is like worshiping your Guru and that is not wrong in Hinduism. All Avatars or God men insist on worshiping the supreme brahman and so the question of identifying the true Avatar is simple.

Guest guest

I too am an advaithi and believe that it is the only concept that answers all questions on god.I agree that saints like ramakrishna and vivekananda were great jnanis.

I only meant the godmen who claim that they are god.Genuine bhakts like kafir doss,chandrasekarendra saraswathi and sithas like ramakrishna paramahamsa are always my gurus.

Jai Ganesh

Dwaita v Adawita I do not know much

All I know is I am not god and since the lord is already out there how can I become him/her?

I may realize I am part of him as such have a blissful existence, against the miserable condition that I find myself in this material world.

Just as a drop of water enters the ocean and becomes part of the whole, it would be ridiculous for the drop to think it is the whole mighty ocean.

If I can quote one prayer I believe it is in sankracharya sampradaya correct me if I am wrong, it goes like this

ABA SAUMPA DIYA EES JEEVANKA SABA BHAR TUMHARE HATHOMAI

SABA BHAR TUMHARE HATHOMAI

I surrender my existence in your hand

MUZAMEN TUZAMEN BASA BHEDA YAHI MEIN NARA HUN TUMA NARAYAN HO

MEIN-----------------------

Only different between you and me is that I am a mortal man and you are Narayan

MEIN HUN SANSAR KE HATHOMAI SANSAR TUMHARE HATHOMAI

SANSAR------------------------

I am under the clutches of the sansar and the sansar is in your hand.

Krishna says only the fool thinks that I have taken this birth, any one who understands his transcendental existence is immediately liberated so says he in Bhagvat Gita.

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Many people mistakenly think that advaitha says "I am god".The problem here lies in translation.Advaitha doesnt say "I am god" It says "I am bhrammam".IN english you dont have words for bhrammam,so they translate as "god".

In vedas its said highest stage is advaitha (Becoming shivam)BUt becoming shivam is different from becoming shiva.YOu will never become shiva or narayana,but you can become shivam.

That is in nirguna bhramma stage you and ishwara are same.But when nirguna bhrammam becomes suguna bhrammam,you will act as he says.Its like saying while sleeping a king and a pauper are same.But when king wakes up they arent the same.

Advaitha never said jeevan can become ishwara.It only said jeevathma and paramathma are same.Its like saying a drop of water taken from sea is sea.It has all the characteristics of sea,but isnt sea by itself.But you cannot deny that it is sea water.Just like how your hand isnt you,but at the same time is not different from you.YOur hand obeys you,is subordinate to you--its the same concept.

Aham bhrammam asmi-i am bhramman

Thath dwam ethi -that you are.

Advaitha isnt contradictory with dwaitha.You climb the advaitha ladder through dwaitha only.

You can attain vaikunda without experiencing advaitha stage.Dwaidha says vaikunda as salvation.Advaitha says reaching vaikunda is just a step in salvation.

"Thath vishno param"--param of vishnu(dwaidha+vis.advaita interpretation)

"Thath vishno param"--param that is vishnu(advaitha interpretation)

every slogas in vedas is given 2 to 3 pashyas.Whose pashya is best has been debated for centuries.But have no worries.Advaitha,vishistathvaidha,dwaidha,pasupatha,ganathipatya,saktha,soura,goumaram are all vedic religions.It doesnt matter which one of these you follow.

Jai Ganesh

Thanks for clearing you position

Re

(every slogas in vedas is given 2 to 3 pashyas.Whose pashya is best has been debated for centuries.)

What is pashya? pardon my ignorance.

Re

(But have no worries.Advaitha,vishistathvaidha,dwaidha,pasupatha,ganathipatya,saktha,soura,goumaram are all vedic religions.It doesnt matter which one of these you follow.)

I do not have problem with any one of them, if we live by dharma all the concepts should turn in to realization eventualy we reach the truth.

my problem is when someone says that Krishna was mortal like us and became god and also we can become like him.God is god it is wrong for us to think we can become one when we are not.

Jai Shree Krishna