IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why did Drupadi have 5 husbands.

Rate this topic

Jai Ganesh

Re

(If you want to discuss, you will not try to divert the matter by arguing something.)

I do not know what you are trying to say, at least it make no sense to me.

If anybody who is diverting it is you, let me remind what the title of this thread is

(( Why did Droupadi married five husband,

In muslim or christan culture only men have more wives, but in Hindu culture women have more husbands.))

Since when does one example make a Hindu culture,

is this a wide spread practice in our culture? Why should I explain anything to some one who has no intention to know the real reason, the headline question is nothing to do with the question that followed,

I ask you is it a rule in Hindu culture for women to have many husbands?

And then you asked ‘What about Krishna?’

So I ask you is your question in context with the original question?

Re

(Here we are discussing what is wrong and what is correct for humans, regardless of whether they are 'Avatars' or not. If you have correct explaination, let others know it.)

With due respect right and wrong is not under discussion here.

abc = xyz? No

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

The mind, intellect and reason fail when you are under the power of an intoxicant. When anesthesia is given, where is the logical mind? Does the logical mind function when you have fasted fully for a fortnight? It disappears in sleep and swoon. There are some herbs that incapacitate the mind the moment you take them. Thus, there are many occasions when the logical mind of man stops its function. How can this logical mind or rational living be given the highest status? Intuition is the highest faculty and the evolution of man is complete when he develops this intuition to the greatest degree and realizes his Atman. The knowledge gained in Samadhi is the highest knowledge. It is Samyag-drishti or Tattva-Jnana.

In case of Draupadi, it was a mistake. She was forced to marry, thinking that she was an object to share amongst the brothers. Nothing is wrong in admitting mistakes. Possibly, there were many Draupadi’s thereafter. Humans often rectify their mistakes of past after realizing it. The great Bhishma shed tears when he was on his death-bed. When questioned why he cried, he replied that the Pandavas were great devotees of the Lord and always abided by the laws of Dharma. Above all, the Lord was constantly with them in the form of Krishna. And yet they underwent so much of suffering.

The age-old, written or unwritten set principles of the ancient Hindu religious scriptures are termed ‘Sastras’. But because of this, it need not follow that they should become time-barred. The fundamental tenets of right living are unchanging. There cannot be any sort of difference in the fundamentals.

Modifications, alterations and adjustments are necessary; but these should be effected in the external modes of interpretation and methods of application to suit the changing times and the new environments of a new generation.

There is no harm in changing the externals so long as it does not affect the fundamental principles. Fundamental virtues like truth, fellowship, non-injury, purity, justice, integrity, etc., will continue to be applicable to the life of humanity. Violation of these would always be a signal for coming calamity.

abc

Jai Ganesh

Dear abc I do not know what you are going on about in relation to this thread, and I say this respectfully.

I state this again, for who ever care to answer, the original questioner alleged and I quote

‘ In muslim or christan culture only men have more wives, but in Hindu culture women have more husbands.’

I ask again, is it in our culture for women to have more husbands?

Please note the question is in plural sense also in direct relation to Muslim allowed to marry more wives

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Dear forum

Please see the following links, they are the web links for where Mr ABC has just copied and pasted COMPLETELY irrelevant things:

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/may_ianswer.htm (see point 46)

[The mind, intellect and reason fail when you are under the power of an intoxicant. When anesthesia is given, where is the logical mind? Does the logical mind function when you have fasted fully for a fortnight? It disappears in sleep and swoon. There are some herbs that incapacitate the mind the moment you take them. Thus, there are many occasions when the logical mind of man stops its function. How can this logical mind or rational living be given the highest status? Intuition is the highest faculty and the evolution of man is complete when he develops this intuition to the greatest degree and realizes his Atman. The knowledge gained in Samadhi is the highest knowledge. It is Samyag-drishti or Tattva-Jnana.]

Im not quite sure where this is from but i'm pretty sure it is Plagiarized

[in case of Draupadi, it was a mistake. She was forced to marry, thinking that she was an object to share amongst the brothers. Nothing is wrong in admitting mistakes. Possibly, there were many Draupadi’s thereafter. Humans often rectify their mistakes of past after realizing it. The great Bhishma shed tears when he was on his death-bed. When questioned why he cried, he replied that the Pandavas were great devotees of the Lord and always abided by the laws of Dharma. Above all, the Lord was constantly with them in the form of Krishna. And yet they underwent so much of suffering.]

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/may_ianswer.htm

(see point 209)

[The age-old, written or unwritten set principles of the ancient Hindu religious scriptures are termed ‘Sastras’. But because of this, it need not follow that they should become time-barred. The fundamental tenets of right living are unchanging. There cannot be any sort of difference in the fundamentals.

Modifications, alterations and adjustments are necessary; but these should be effected in the external modes of interpretation and methods of application to suit the changing times and the new environments of a new generation.

There is no harm in changing the externals so long as it does not affect the fundamental principles. Fundamental virtues like truth, fellowship, non-injury, purity, justice, integrity, etc., will continue to be applicable to the life of humanity. Violation of these would always be a signal for coming calamity.]

ABC, it all makes sense now, the reason nobody on the forum understood your post is because you copied and pasted bits and bobs from internet, you should stop doing that and try to use your own words in future.

"In muslim or christan culture only men have more wives, but in Hindu culture women have more husbands.

which one is right?"

First of all, you said 'In muslim or christian culture only men have more wives'. Let me tell you that in any culture only men have wives. As for the number of wives a person can have in Islam a person can have four legal wives. In Hinduism, there is no such restiction. Lord Rama had one wife. Lord Krishna had many. Who are we to judge? It is a question of personal choice. As long as the husband is able to keep his wives happy, there should be no problem. however in India today, as in many countries polygamy is illegal.

It is not true that in Hindu culture women have more husbands. I understand that in saying so you are trying to belittle Hinduism. Draupadi is one of the rare cases wherein a lady married more then one person at the same time. Hinduism per se, doesn't preach polyandry. So you should get your facts straight before shooting from the mouth.

Jai Ganesh

Re

(however in India today, as in many countries polygamy is illegal.)

Is it? i wish, let us have one uniform law for all the citizen of India.

Re

It is not true that in Hindu culture women have more husbands. I understand that in saying so you are trying to belittle Hinduism.

My point exactly.

Re

( Hinduism per se, doesn't preach polyandry. So you should get your facts straight before shooting from the mouth.)

I do not think this guest wanted to know the true reason about Draupadi and I dont think he/she is around to respond.

Jai Shree Krishna

Wife of the Pandavas

Draupadi was known by many names. She was known as Krsna due to her beautiful dark complexion, Parsati because she was the grand-daughter of King Prsata, Draupadi because she was the daughter of King Drupada and Pancali because she was the daughter of the King of Pancala. Pancali grew up in the palace of Drupada. Stories about her many previous births are found in the Puranas. During all these births many gods blessed her saying that she would have five husbands when she was born as the daughter of Drupada.

Shiva's Blessings

When Sri Rama and his brother Laksmana were in exile in the forest with Rama's wife Sita, Agni came to Rama once and told him in private thus: "Oh Rama, you have incarnated on earth to kill Ravana (a great demon). The time for that is drawing nigh and ere long Ravana would carry away Sita. It is not proper that Sita, the incarnation of Laksmi, should be touched by Ravana. Therefore I shall keep Sita safe with me and I am giving you a phantom Sita to be with you in her stead." Sri Rama took the Mayasita (phantom Sita) from Agni without even Laksmana knowing it and handed over the original Sita to the custody of Agni.

While Sri Rama, Laksmana and Mayasita were living together in their hermitage (ashram) a golden deer was seen one day in the precincts of their ashram. Sita was enamored of the beautiful deer and wanted it. So Rama, asking Laksmana to watch over Sita, went in search of the deer. Sri Rama tried his best to capture the deer alive. But all his efforts failed he had come far from the ashram. So he discharged an arrow and killed it. While falling dead, the deer raised a cry imitating the voice of Rama and called Laksmana for help. The deer was none other than Marica, the demon uncle of Ravana. On hearing the call for help Laksmana rushed to the spot from where the sound came and Sita was left alone for some time. Ravana then came to the ashram and spirited Mayasita away to Lanka. Rama and Laksmana went to Lanka with an army of monkeys and after killing Ravana rescued Sita. Rama, in deference to public opinion, put Sita into the fire to test her purity.

At that time god Agni taking back Mayasita gave the real Sita to Rama, unscathed by the fire. When Mayasita was thus abandoned she bowed down before Sri Rama and Agni and asked them thus "What am I to do now ? Where should I go ?" They advised her to do penance there and blessed her by saying that at the successful end of her penance she would become known as Svargalaksmi.

Siva was pleased by her penance and appearing before her asked her what boon she wanted. Mayasita who had become Svargalaksmi by then requested Siva to give her a husband. She repeated the request 'Patim dehi' (Give me a husband) five times and Siva said that she would have five husbands in her next life as Krsna the daughter of the King of Pancala.

The Birth of Draupadi to the King of Pancala

Drupada had argued with a childhood friend and wished to get a son to avenge his assumed insult. Drupada then went to the forest to find a sage who would perform the correct Yajna (sacrifice) for a son. The sage, Yaja, offered to help the king and his wife with their request. The sage gave the queen havya (clarified butter). Because the havya was prepared by Yaja and was offered by Upayaja, his younger brother, the sages said that the queen would get two children.

While Yaja was offering oblations to the sacrificial fire a boy with a crown on his head, bearing a sword a bow in his hands rose from the fire. Then from the dais of the Yajna-fire emerged a beautiful lady of dazzling brilliance. Immediately a voice from heaven was heard to say, "This Sumadhyama (a girl in her blossoming youth) will work on the side of God and cause terror to the Kauravas."

Yaja blessed the wife of Drupada saying that the two children would thenceforth call her mother. Yaja himself named the boy Dhrstadyumna and the girl, according to the ethereal voice, Krsna.

The Marriage of Draupadi

For the Svayamvara of his daughter Drupada had placed a mighty steel bow in the marriage hall. When all the distinguished guests were seated in the marriage hall, the King announced that his daughter would be given in marriage to him who bent the steel bow and with it shot a steel arrow through the central aperture of a revolving disc, at a target placed above. Many valiant princes from all parts of Bharata including the Kauravas and Pandavas had gathered there. When it was time for the ceremonies to begin Pancali, clad in beautiful robes with a bewitching charm which excited the royal assemblage, entered the hall with a garland in her hands. Then Dhrstadyumna, brother of Pancali said "Hear ye, oh princes, seated in state in this assembly, here is the bow and arrow. He who sends five arrows in succession through the hole in the wheel and unerringly hits the target shall win my sister."

Many noted princes rose one after another and tried in vain to string the bow. It was too heavy and stiff for them. Then Arjuna, the great archer of the Pandavas rose, and meditating on Narayana, the Supreme God, strung the bow with ease and hit at the target. Pancali then put the garland on Arjuna's neck and accepted him as her husband. Drupada's joy knew no bounds when he knew that his son-in-law was none other than the celebrated Arjuna.

The Pandavas then took Pancali to their home in Ekacakra. As soon as Kuntidevi, their mother, heard the footsteps of her sons outside she called from inside asking them to share that day's alms among themselves. Little did Kuntidevi know that it was a bride that had been brought by them. Thus Pancali became the common consort of the five Pandavas. Then the marriage of Pancali was ceremoniously conducted after inviting friends and relatives. Pancali had five sons one each from each of the five husbands. She got Prativindhya of Yudhisthira, Srutasoma of Bhimasena, Srutakirti of Arjuna, Satanika of Nakula, and Srutakarma of Sahadeva.

The Shaming of Draupadi

Once Duryodhana challenged Dharmaputra (Yudhisthira) to a game of dice. Dharmaputra lost all his wealth, his loyal brothers and at the end, in despair, pledged Draupadi and lost her. Immediately Duryodhana asked Vidura to bring Draupadi to his palace and make her serve as a servant-maid. Vidura did not consent to that. Then Duryodhana asked Pratikami, the guard, to bring her. While entering the palace of Draupadi, Pratikami was as timid as a dog about to enter the cage of a lion. He informed Draupadi of his mission. Draupadi sent him back. Duryodhana sent another messenger. Draupadi went with him to the court of the Kauravas. As soon as Dushsasana saw Draupadi he jumped at her and caught hold of her hair and dragged her to the center of the assembly.

When Duhsasana dragged her thus she said in piteous tones "Do not shame me. I have not performed my ritual bath and have not properly greeted my elders." Dushsasana was not moved by these pleadings and he dragged her Still. Bhima could not hold himself calm against this atrocity any longer and in a roar of wrath he abused Dharmaputra for pledging Pancali thus and losing, her. Arjuna however remonstrated gently with Bhima. Then to the consternation of all, Duhsasana started his shameful work of pulling at Pancali's robes to strip her of all the clothes. All earthly aid having failed Draupadi in utter helplessness implored divine mercy and succor. A miracle occurred. In vain Duhsasana toiled to pull the garments completely and make her naked. As he pulled off each, fresh garments were seen to come from somewhere and cover her nudity. Dushsasana retired from his work exhausted and disappointed.

Then Karna ordered that Draupadl should be sent to the palace of Duryodhana as a servant-maid. Dhirtarastra came to his senses and to pacify outraged and wrathful Pancali asked her to name any boon she wanted from him. Pancali said: "In order that my son, Prativindhya, should not be called a 'dasaputra' (son of a servant) his father Dharmaputra should be released from his servitude." The boon was granted. Then she requested that all the other Pandavas should be set free. That was also allowed. Dhrtarastra then asked her to name a third boon. Pancali then said that all Ksatriya women were entitled only to two boons and so there was no need for a third one. Then Draupadi took a vow that her hair which was let lose by the wicked Dushasana would be tied properly only by a hand tainted by the blood of Dushsasana. After that in strict obedience to the conditions of the wager of the dice game the Pandavas started for the forests with Draupadi to spend twelve years in the forests and one year incognito.

"Re

(however in India today, as in many countries polygamy is illegal.)

Is it? i wish, let us have one uniform law for all the citizen of India."

Thank you for correcting me, it is illegal for a Hindu in India to have more than one wife. Not for Muslims.

We live in strange times.

Uniform Civil Code is still a distant dream.

Aditya Vandematharam.

Guest guest

Hi friends

Well who so ever asked this question should mention here which religion he belongs to.

Cause if in case he is not a Hindu then he dont have any right to discuss such stuff and if he is then he have the right to know but the thing is why do he want to know. Cause the purpose describes the attitude and attitude describes the actions.

Well as far as your query is concerned wen Arjun came to his state with her wife the brothers were asking for the owner of this wonderful prize that Arzun won.In the mean while his mother came their and without knowing that wat this is all about she said to share it with his brother. Wen Draupadi came to know about this decision she respected the decision but one thing was assured that its her wish with whom she is interested to go. And no one forced her to come with him. And I think this was the respect of a woman for another and by a man for a woman so here the thing to be noticed is at that time there was a respect for the decision of a woman in the society and today even after marriage many times in the night we the man rape their wives and force her to do it for us.

So if u can be Udhistir,Arjun,Bheem Nakul or Sehdev then u have the right to question those great personalities other wise dont question those who are beyond your imagination and remember one thing that great lady with five husbands had a better character than todays woman and is known as Pativrata and so dont dare to ask such stupid question and if u want to then before asking this question from others u should ask your self do u have the rights to ask such question cause the person with a good character can prompt the person with a wrong character other wise u dont have any right.

Take care

Bye