IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

English names in hindi script

Rate this topic

Thank-you so much I have found the translation of callum which was the correct prounounciation so thank-you. Could you possibly translate my daughters name also phoebe " fee-bee" (pronounciation).

Thank-you so much I think you are right about callum i think the second pronounciation would be correct cal-lum, if you could please forward that. You dont know how much it will means to me to have this done, I cannot thank you enough.

Hi,

When you pronounce cal-lum, do you pronounce both 'l' completely or do you pronounce first l for a very short time? Take an example Billy. This is also one name. Here l appears two times just like in Callum. In Billy the two l are pronounced rapidly one after another. Do you pronounce two l in Callum the same way or do you pronounce each l separately?

I am asking these because to write any word in Hindi (script name is Devanagiri), correct pronunciation is important.

Hi,

Here is Callum in Devanagiri script assuming that while pronouncing you pronounce two l sound in quick succession.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1278&stc=1&d=1159797904

Note: If you can email me a recording (e.g. a wave file) by which I can know how Callum is pronounced, then I will be able to tell exactly how it is written in Devanagiri. But, from what I have understood, the attachment here should give you correct answer.

post-324-138274053358_thumb.gif

i believe it is the same as billy, it is hard to break it down or give you another example as I cannot think of anything else that sounds like it. I KNOW I'M CHEEKY BUT COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME MY NAME TOO. I only ask because I have searched so long to get these translated and fear I may not find someone as helpful as you again.

Many thanks

Emily

Hi,

I am posting here three ways of writing Callum. The first is pronounced as if there is a single l i.e. like Calum. Here ca is pronounced like ca of cat or, to take another example, ca of calcium. lum is pronounced like lum of alum. So, lu is pronounced like lu of luck.

In the second, we keep in mind that there are two l and the two are pronounced in quick succession as in Billy. Because of this first l is pronounced for a very short time.

In the third, we pronounce both l but not in quick succession. In other words we pronounce Cal, then we wait for a second or so and then lum.

Please choose whichever you want depending on how you pronounce your son's name. I will translate Emily now. Its pronounciation is easy. It is emilee. Right? I will write this in next post. I am sure you would like your husband's name also. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1280&stc=1&d=1159799069

post-324-138274053358_thumb.gif

tHATS BRILLIANT, i THINK ITS THE SECOND ONE WHICH LOOKS GREAT! Did you post Emily?

My husbands name is Graeme, BUT WOULD PREFER GRAY FOR SHORT AS IN THE COLOUR GREY BUT WITH AN a not an e

any problems get back to me.

I am posting Emily (pronounced emi-lee) in Devanagiri. Some people pronounce it this way. But, as I have found some others pronounce it as em-ilee where i is pronounced like i of ink. If you pronounce the same way, let me know. In this post I am assuming it is emi-lee where mi is pronounced like mi of mister.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1281&stc=1&d=1159800287

post-324-13827405336_thumb.gif

tHATS BRILLIANT, i THINK ITS THE SECOND ONE WHICH LOOKS GREAT!

Out of the three options, please choose one depending upon how you pronounce your son's name. If you select a wrong one (even though it may look good), then if somebody sees the tattoo and he knows Hindi, then he will pronounce it wrongly.

Did you post Emily?

Yes, just previous to this post

My husbands name is Graeme, BUT WOULD PREFER GRAY FOR SHORT AS IN THE COLOUR GREY BUT WITH AN a not an e

any problems get back to me.

If somebody, who knows Hindi sees the tattoo, how do you want him to pronounce GRAY. Should it be like gra of grass? Or like color grey? Or, may be something else? Please go only by pronunciation and not by spelling. For writing GRAY (or any other name) in Hindi,I only need to know how you pronounce it and not how you spell it.

Does it read from right to left by the way? and do you have a symbol for "AND" like we have a "&" sign?

Also are your numbers different to English one such as 1234567890

so I could do birth dates?

would they change if I linked them together for a birth date such as 20.09.06.

Prounounciation of Graeme is more like gray-em.

Mny thanks

Does it read from right to left by the way?

I have used Devanagiri script. This is used in Hindi and Sanskrit languages. This script reads left to right. There are some languages like Arabic and Urdu, which you read right to left. But I do not know these.

That looks really nice. At some point could you translate the name Oakley for my sister she last week has given birth to her first child and would like to have his name tattooed on her foot.

it is pronounced OAK-LEE (SOUNDS LIKE THE END OF MY NAME EMI-LEE / OAK-LEE). Also sorry to be ignorant but what languages have you translated is it hindi? devangiri??

You've been really helpful so many thanks, Im really excited to be getting the tattoos tomorrow!!

Guest guest

The language I have used is Hindi and the script is Devanagiri. To take an analogy, when you write anything in English, then what is the language? It is English. What is the name of the script that we use when we write in English? It is Roman script. So, we use Roman script for English language. Likewise, we use Devanagiri script for Hindi language.

I will make the rest of posts tomorrow.

Guest guest

Hi,

I saw it asked earlier, but not the answer. Could someone translate the name "Samantha" for me?

Thanks sos much!

Guest guest

Hello, would be very grateful if anyone could put the name Dean into Hindi script. He is due to have his tattoo tmrw afternoon (Friday 6th Oct).

Thank you