IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
subroto

hindus have to start taking responsibility:

Rate this topic

Hindus always compain about how other religions have attacked hinduism which is true upto a very great degree but hindusim was already on a decline when the muslim invaders got to india. Who was responsible for that decline?? After krishna left this earth the downfall of hinduism started. Foreign religions were not responsible for that degeneration...but hindus themselves were responsible for the decline of hinduism. WHen the muslim invaders came to india...the hindu dharma had declined considerably from the time of mahabharata..were foreign religions responsible for that decline? No..... Its the same today...mordern hinduism is at its lowest. The majority of hindus today are just hindus by name, they have very little faith. A lot of hindus even ridicule the ancient texts and say that they are mere myths.

Yes foreign religions have hurt hinduism a lot , and still continue to do today but we have to take a good and hard look at ourselves...a lot of the blame also lies with us.

Guest guest

your absolutley right. we ve to do something ...

ban McDonalds in India... we don t want to turn the cities in NewYork or else... we have to turn them into "indrprasts".

we have to stop the influence from america and europe before its to late.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

its not America or Europe that must be banned. We cannot create a great utopian city in India by keeping the rest of the world out. We must learn to include them and still be good. If a very religious man lived in a ghetto neighborhood in an apartment building with all thugs and crooks and murders, should he then also become a thief? though it may be hard, it is till possible for the man to live a good life.

that is what must happen. We must include Americans and Europeans but not divert ourselves from the path of righetousness. We must not let science and technology turn us into a nation of severe capitalism, where the all0might Rupee is the pursuit of all mankind and the measureing stick behind success. It is possible to be successful without having money.

Hinduism is one of the most flexible and tolerant religions in the world. But we have chosen to ignore our texts and scriptures. Over the years, our scriptures and the wealth of information they carry have been lost because they have been exclusively in the hands of the pandits. One needs to see the wisdom of Swami Vivekananda, who demanded that the scriptures be known to all. A devout Muslim would have the maulvi teaching the Quran to his children. A devout Christian would have his child go for catechism classes. But do us hindus teach our children anything? Probably in bits and pieces about some Ramayana or Mahabharata or the Gita. Besises, most of what they are exposed to is invalid superstitions baseless customs which in turn makes them lose faith in Hinduism. We must find a way to expose our children to the Vedas, the Puranas and our texts in detail and not just skim the brim.

No..... Its the same today...mordern hinduism is at its lowest.

---------

If sb. invaded india, they must consider india to be weak enough in advance. Modern india's lowest point is at the time when it established with the pain of inevitable division, but it was lucky not being invaded then.

A lot of hindus even ridicule the ancient texts and say that they are mere myths.

---------

That's the reason why new gods was fabricated. Anyhow, I really can't understand why they are worshiped. I think myself not to be ruthless but strict, & the figures in ancient texts may be far more strict.

-----------------------

ban McDonalds in India... we don t want to turn the cities in NewYork or else... we have to turn them into "indrprasts".

---------

Don't always say ideal "we want", "we should", & "we must". Say more realistic "we can", "how can we". You'll continue to hurt yourselves if you take up more actions at will.

I don't think keeping out mc donalds will help the cause of hinduism. Inorder to start reviving hinduism we have to first target the hindus themselves. They have to be taught about their religions and find out what it stands for as most of them don't know anything. We also have to do something about the current educational system ..stop teaching the british version of our countries history. Most hindus learn about hinduism from western sources, we have to learn about hinduism from our own gurus..because most westerners cannot comprehend the depth of hinduism and tend to look at it condescendingly..

-----"A devout Muslim would have the maulvi teaching the Quran to his children. A devout Christian would have his child go for catechism classes. But do us hindus teach our children anything? Probably in bits and pieces about some Ramayana or Mahabharata or the Gita. Besises, most of what they are exposed to is invalid superstitions baseless customs which in turn makes them lose faith in Hinduism. We must find a way to expose our children to the Vedas, the Puranas and our texts in detail and not just skim the brim. "

Brilliantly said!! I couldn't agree with you more...one of the reasons why we skim the brim is because our religion is a lot harder and more complicated than others and in todays kali yuga our physical and mental faculties are weak compared to our ancestors so people tend to gravitate towards easier religions.

you are right subroto. keeping out mc donald's and the like is not going to solve the problem. it has to start from childhood in a step by step manner.

and yes, our scriptures are vast and complicated which one cannot grasp that easily. but it has a wealth of knowledge. as i make an attempt to learn more about hinduism now, i realize that there is a wealth of knowledge here, so complete, so well planned and so scientific in its approach.

isnt it sad that probably in a generation or two, these scriptures and their interpretation will be lost, unless something is done about passing them on to our children?

Guest guest

"hinduism" is a concoction of the lowest order. Anyone anywhere can call themselves a "hindu" from the demi god worshipper to the atheist. The term is so loose that it has no real meaning and I do not believe it is a legitimate religion for no where is it mentioned in the shastra. To use such regional labels to define yourselves goes against the very teachings of the scriptures. If you want to talk about Indian history and the islamic invasions then yes the indians had lost any sense of true religion by this time and were thus ripe for being conquered. The only truly sucessful society is one that is based on the principles of shastra, otherwise it is bound for failure and misery (example: modern day india).

-Amit

Jai Sri Krishna!

Guest guest

I agree that it's very odd for atheist to be called Hindus, I don't think they can be because hinduism is all about finding God, so if someone don't believe in God then they can't be a hindu. I don't know whoever started that idea that an athist can be a Hindu. It doesn't make sense.

So if Hinduism isn't the right word then what is? Should it be Vedanta, Sanatana Dharma, Vedic religion, etc or should it be stated by sectarian traditions? And how do you specify what falls into the above categories as there is overlap.

Guest guest

simply there's no hinduism but an unfortunate attempt to reunite opposite religions under the same name

the result is that to concile all them, you have to cut out the distinctive essential elements and declare that hinduism is freedom of thinking, not a religion but a way of life, that every path is the same path and others nonsenses like that

the hindu advocates do not like the accuracy and coherency of the single authoritative schools...... and they call them "sectarian traditions"

it is not enough to call something "sanatana dharma" to have the real sanatana dharma or even dharma

Guest guest

As the last guest has said, that India can never be great because it is a third world country and will reamin that way.

I would like to say that I would rather be Indian, citizen of a third world country which may not have material wealth like America or Europe but has boundless spirtual and intellectual wealth. Such wealth cannot be comprehended by Americans and Europeans who beleive that they are superior only because of material wealth.

I agree that Vedic religion may seem very dull and superstitious. It may seem that Hindus worship almost everything they come by. The very reason for that is that the essence of religion and culture is not known by the common Hindu man today. In this day of age, a Hindu is unable to answer these questions as to why we worship so many forms of Gods, why we beleive that God is within the idols that we worship. The westerners do not understand the true intellectual meaning behind our beliefs is one thing, but we ourselves do not know is a shame. If we knew that "Moorti Puja" is a Science and not a mere show of affection towards God, then we would be able to explain this to the world.

This is our misery. We have such a great Vedic culture but it has been dead for so many years. It has to be revived. The old superstitious practices have to be abolished and the true meaning of our religion has to be understood and intellectually accepted. We have to take a step towards trying to understand our scriptures and then only will reconstruction of our Vedic culture be possible. Let us all vow to take this step from this day onwards.

<< We must include Americans and Europeans but not divert ourselves from the path of righetousness. >>

this is like saying, "We must allow cow slaughter in our temples and still keep our temple worship."

just as we conrol the environment in our homes, we need to control the environment in our devabhoomi bharat. the environment affects all. the invaded ideology would polute it, and the polution would affact some of us too becaue all of us hindus cannot be expected to be strong hindus. it takes time to build strenght and immunity form bad effects.

that sadhana is a personal challange, but as a nation, we should control its environment so that it would not be favoring anti vedic things/ activities.

Guest guest

Thousands of years ago, India was a civilisation when the westerners were still living in the forests. The west grew only over conquring other nations, slave labour and exploitation. Through plundering, looting and killing the west grew into what it is today. It was the Romans and Greeks who ruled the west in ancient times, now it's America...an immigrant nation itself!

Alot of western scolars did have respect for the ancient India and the original Vedic religion (including Yoga-Vedanta) as practiced back then, but not for the superstition-ridden form of Hinduism in India today. The following site gives some examples of this, especially in the 'quotes' section.

http://www.atributetohinduism.com

http://www.atributetohinduism.com/thoughts.htm

I agree that is not the image of India today which is plagued by ignorance, superstition and backwardness. These problems will be sorted out with education and empowerment. Maybe it was because at one point in medievel times when India because too 'soft' due to the influence of Buddhism and 'Ahimsa' dominated that India became an easy target for the would-be invaders.

"We have such a great Vedic culture but it has been dead for so many years. It has to be revived. The old superstitious practices have to be abolished and the true meaning of our religion has to be understood and intellectually accepted."

I think it's right to say is that these superstitions we have are the result of a perversion or twisting of the vedic faith and as scholars of the Vedas have shown, are not actually in the Vedas but have been made up by people over time. I think we can revieve it only if we study the sruti's and put it into practice. Alot of Hindus today pay more attention to the smriti's and mix it with superstitions, village practices, etc. This is what is Hinduism of today has become.

Guest guest

Thousands of years ago, India was a civilisation when the westerners were still living in the forests.

--

this is against vedas.... thousand of years ago there was sanatana dharma all over the world.. then gradually sanatana dharma is reduced to be fully expressed only in india and now also in india is rarely followed

Guest guest

"this is against vedas.... thousand of years ago there was sanatana dharma all over the world"

I don't believe that is from the Vedas...can you prove it? It may be from a purana or may be Hindutva propaganda!

I know Hinduims was alot more spread out back then and India (or Aryavrat) was alot bigger than it is today.

I would like to say that I would rather be Indian, citizen of a third world country which may not have material wealth like America or Europe but has boundless spirtual and intellectual wealth. Such wealth cannot be comprehended by Americans and Europeans who beleive that they are superior only because of material wealth.

-----------

Spir. knowl. is not isolated from mater. knowl. but higher than it. Why would you rather be a citizen of a third world country since you think you have boundless spirtual and intellectual wealth? Think about this q., indians!

Guest guest

I don't believe that is from the Vedas...can you prove it? It may be from a purana...

is this the way to promote the ancient indian culture? we conditionated souls decide wich god's message we like or we do not like?

if we despise indian culture it is normal that also foreigners do it

hinduism or sanatan dharma is what is given in gita and understood and lived by correctly.

it is very wrong to define 'hinduism' by the acts of malpractice of some.

as i have said before, the hindus have work to do internally as well as externally, and now.

Guest guest

As a westener and raised in katholicism i have come to appreciate hinduism. alass, there is not much understanding for hinduism in the west, which is due to centuries of lies and misinformation. Both Islam en Christianity keep telling lies as that hinduism is no more than a bunch of disordered polytheistic beliefs. And they stress that hinduism is closed to westeners, because you must be born into it.

In my mind there is a lot of work to be done in educating people all over the world into the true nature of hinduisme. Many westeners reject the dogmatic beliefs and there lies a great opportunity for hinduism.

The divers nature of Sanatan Dharm is perfectly suitable for there needs. If only there view of hinduism could be altered. One must realise that Christianity and Islam derive mutch of there strength from their uniformity. They have well oiled propagandamachines that actively seek out groups to convert and make studies how to reach this.

In my mind hinduime is far superior to Islam and Christianity but it wil lose the battle if can not organise itself. Diversity can be both weakness and strength. There should be an umbrella under which hindu's can act unitedly.

It is a crazy situation that Christianity in Europe has lost its atttraction to the people but is very succesfully spreading itself in third world countries. I think hinduisme should do more to get a foothold in the west. India as a whole is still much of a underaprreciated country.

you spoke the truth.

please pick a user name.

because islam and . are orgnized

and each has no desire that any Hindu live any where,

it has become very necessary, i say,

that all the hindus unite of bharat, all the hindu gurus unite, to keep bharat a land of the hindus

where they or hinduism is not challanged by any one nor is slandered.

Guest guest

Who's fault is it that India and Hinduism are treated badly? Of course, the west and Islam have brainwashed the hindus into thinking they are worthless, but why did hindus allow themselves to be brainwashed so? It is because they are not real, practicing hindus at all, just name-sake ones. Hinduism is only for the superior breed, and unfortunately, Indians don't qualify. I am not saying others do, probably they don't. I suppose hinduism can be popular only in the next century, cuz only by that time, people might become more mature.

Guest guest

If you want to read about a westener who was an ex-catholic and now a Hindu, I think the books of David Frawley whould be very beneficial.

He has shown how Hinduism is a dynamic, mature and rational religion which is contrary to how it has been portrayed by the west and even by some Hindus with little knowledge. He also believes that many people share the basic beliefs of Hinduism but are not even aware of it, but if you were to tell them they would probably be turned off because of the negative image they have of Hindus.

It's really up to the Hindus to practice it themselves before everything falls in place. It's all to do with how Hinduism is 'presented' to outsiders because right now it is being very badly misrepresented.

I am fully aware of the propaganda by Christian and Muslim groups against Hinduism as well as other religions. The thing I noticed is if Hinduism is presented well and properly then they'll be very little to criticise, only the misconceptions need to be blown away. What the Christian and muslim groups keep doing it is gather all their negative criticisms and misconceptions of Hinduism and project that as the true face of Hinduism.