IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Vedic transition to Modern hinduism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just took a class on Indo-European mythology. And from it I learned that the principle Gods in the Vedas are Indra, Agni, Ushas, Mitra, Varuna, Vayu etc... And Shiv appears as Rudra, as a lesser god. Now where and how did this transition occur where we get the current trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh taking over from Indra, Agni and Mitra?

I know how a lot of Vedic practices were ended in Ramayan and Mahabharat like sacrifice and meat eating, but what other changes were brought about?

Guest guest

I think this change happened in the Upanishads - the age of Vedanta. This is also probably the reason why the Upanishads are more important that the earlier samhita (Mantra) and brahmana (rituals) portion. The Upanishads question rituals and empihsise the one God or ultimate reality.

Just out of interest, what organisation or group were behind this material? I say this because the 'western' interpretations of Vedas is not accepted by most Hindus.

"Now where and how did this transition occur where we get the current trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh taking over from Indra, Agni and Mitra?"

I would like an honest answer to this too, as I have often wondered about it but I think it is in the Puranas and some Agamas.

Guest guest

the transition must have happened over time....the original vedic gods were worshipped as major gods back when indians were nature worshippers mostly. most civilizations all started out this way. god's relatioonship with man was seen only thru the weather changes and what one saw3 around him. therefore, they woprshipped that....

over time, our philosophers have spread the word that there is a deeper relationsjip than just "god is angry so it rained"....with the spread of this philosophy, it becamse imperative to worship other aspects of life such as life and death, education, prosperity....that was seen was more important than rain and thunder...so over time, the essense of life and death became the most important aspects of life to worship.

anyone agree? or disagree?

Guest guest

"so over time, the essense of life and death became the most important aspects of life to worship.

anyone agree? or disagree?"

That's a simple way of looking at it, but I think Hinduism really became dynamic through the spiritual experience and teachings of the sages and how they interpreted this through stories, methaphors and allegories. In the Upanishads 'Brahman' was seen as what to aim for, not vedic gods or rituals and I think this is why all future sages would have to get their authority from the Vedanta - it was like a centre point. The sages saw others to reach the same heights as they did so they created 'paths' for others to follow.

Guest guest

Principle Gods are Indra, Vayu etc...

They are gods of the material elements, and the descriptuins in the Vedic practices were meant to be sacrifices to obtain their favour...The age after Satya yuga was the age of sacrifice being the means to attain liberation...these sacrifices were their for that age, as one slowly gain favour of the gods of material world and ultimately perform the vishnu sacrifice to attain ultimate liberation...

Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh were always principle, yet the people in previous ages were so pious that they could come into contact with them simply by calling mantras...there was no need to write down any of the information...the reason Indra, Agni etc sacrifices and prayers were written down was because they were the preliminary sacrifices to control one's senses...

Guest guest

It is the mercy of God that because we are so unintelligent in this age, he makes it easy for us:

Brahma is highest living entity - empowered to create materially

Shiva is highest Devata - eternally empowered to destroy

Vishnu is Supreme Lord - or more specifically Maha-Vishnu, who the material universes emanating from his breath...

yet, still we get inaccurate interpretations from so many people, which is indication of the Kali quarrel and hypocrisy...

Guest guest

but why didnt the sages teach this new path earlier than they did?

i think it was because the sages too played their part in history and worshipped the gods they did. then humanity (in an indian sense) took a different path and placed the more important aspects of life above the natural ones. I think at some point in history, there were alot more "thinkers" in India. They brought about the advent of the Trinity worship.

In Rig Veda, itself Rudra is the overlord. He was also named Shiva -- the auspicious because transformation that He effects (though painful) leads to Good ness -- manifestation of Vishnu.

Agni is Rudra. Indra is Rudra's ancient mind. Soma is Rudra. Aditi and Diti are Rudra's consorts. Parjanya is Rudra. Manyu is Rudra. Vastopati is Rudra. Krsanu is Rudra. Aja-Ekpada is Rudra. The dragon of the Deep is Rudra. Vishnu is Rudra when manifested through the three worlds.

‘Rudra by day, Rudra at night we honour with these our songs, the Universe's Father.

Him great and lofty, blissful, undecaying let us call especially as the Sage impels us.’

Rig Veda is Hymn to many forms and functions of One Lord.

Hinduism, (Vaishnavism & Shivaism, Shaktism) were being practiced by Dravidian. When Aryan Invasion/Migration happened, Vaishnavism (which was followed mostly by "Aalvaarkal"), because "aalvaarkal" split from dravidians and went with Aryans, was moderated by Aryans. According to that theory, Aryans were scared of natural forces, therefore when they rewrote the Ramanaya and Mahabharat in Sanskrit, they changed a lot of things, included the worships for god of natural forces. However Ramayana, and Mahabharat is a real history that occured yugas before. But western historians thinking that Hinduism was found by Aryans, made the date of Mahabharat to few hundred years of BC. But, Hinduism was orginally practiced by Dravidians, then went under the influence of Aryans. Aryans god were Indra, Agni, Ushas, Mitra, Varuna, etc... but after their migration to India, they've the hindu gods Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh and included them in their religion, and created poojas, and etc!!!! That's what I've heard and learnt.