IndiaDivine.org
Guest guest

Stop Abusing and Offending Adi Shankara

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It has become the habit of a few people in this forum to abuse Adi Shankara.

1. Please remember it was Adi Shankara, who re instated Hinduism in India. Otherwise India would have been a country of Buddhists and Jains ( or may be muslims and Christianns)

2. Even one of your Great Vaishnavas Rajaji has observed that " Adi Shankara, drank the ocean of Knowledge as easily as one sips water from ones own hand".

3. So before making any abusive comments on Shankara, think what you will be in his absence.

4. None of the Advaitins, or Smarthas, or Shaivites are making abusive comments about "YOUR" Raghavendra, or Ramanuja or PrabhuPadha

5. So its only civility and commonsence to abstain from offending Shankara.

Hope I am making myself clear.

Guest guest

it has become fashion for mayavadis to make fun of "dwaitham". if u people dont like dvaitham, just keep away from it.

till now dwaitham has not been proved false.but advaitham has been proved false. so no wrong in telling advaitham as false.

some people have gone to extent of telling dvaitham as defective. so it became necessary to bring truth into light.

Yes, all vaishnavas worship Ramanuja & Raghavendra. they come to their devotees help. everyones knows that.

but i havent heard of any saivate saints doin that. thats what i quoted.

i dont think i have quoted anything wrong.

Guest guest

i have not heard any offence to sri adi shankara acharya who is lord shiva himself

if someone did it he's mad and he will sufer greatly in this life and in the next

can you show when and where shankaracharya was offended?

(every vaishnava appreciate shankaracharya, he has done a great step to get out from buddhist nichilism (that was also necessary at that times))

Guest guest

Refer to some threads in this discussion forum itself.

Advaitins were called Idiots, Adi Shankara was made fun of.

Guest guest

This is a Copy and paste from this forum. What do you think of this?

I can paste lot from this forum itself.

Advaitam is a idiotic concept

02/10/04 01:38 PM Edit Reply

Lord Narayana ordered Shiva to go to earth & preach a idiotic concept so that some idiotic people who doesnt want to pray vishnu will accept it.

So Lord Shiva took form of "Adishankara" and preached advitam. To his amazement lot of idioitic people came & accepted his teachings.

But some small group of enlightened people rejected his teachings & waited for god to come & preach.

To rewarard them, God came in form of Lord Ramanuja, Lord Madhwacharya, Lord Chaitanya, Lord Vallabhacharya and taught good philosophies so that they can reach God.

But all idotic people abused the good people for clinging to a stupid belief & telling the good people as "just" fans of their gurus.

Hearing this, God in vanikunda laughs by hearing words of ignorant people.

thats what still happening now.

Guest guest

One of your Vaishnavas is trying to compare Raghavendra with Shankara.

and says Shankara is nothing. Dont you call it offending?

mayavadi listen this [re: atanu]

03/15/04 01:03 PM Edit Reply

Dvaita was propounded by Sri Madhvacharya & Sri Raghavendraswamy.

Sri Raghavendraswamy knows all . He preached Dwaitam only. So we foolish mortals have no right to criticize it by telling it as defective.

if you people dont like "Dvaitham", then keep away from it rather than committing blasphemy of criticizing it.

Do you think u know better than Guru Raghavendra. of course comparing to Raghavendra swamy your so called ****************"adi-shankara" is nothing***********. TILL NOW I HAVENT HEARD ANY ADI-SHANKARAS RUSHING TO CALL OF THEIR DEVOTEES, ONLY RAGHAVENDRASWAMY IS DOING IT.

So Raghavendraswamy has proved himself as God (even he had not declared himself due to his humbleness) by blessing his devotees till now (he is even giving darshans to his true devotees).

Hello Mr.Atanu Sri Guru Raghavendraswamy has proved ur so called "Advaitham" as false. do u think urself greater than rayaru.

humbly agree what rayaru tells. otherwise be silent.

Ure not a acharya to give ur views.

we (vaishnavas) agree wat our acharyas said instead of giving our own views.

Guest guest

yes these messages are inopportune, they do not offend directly shankaracharya indeed they are too much...

... and surely not effective in make people more close to the vaishnava tattva

Guest guest

You are acting as a politician. Politician always support muslims & they hid the tyrannies done by muslims.

you are acting like that. you mayavadis convinently hide the fact that everytime you get a opportunity you people make fun of "dwaitham" unnecessarily.

you first notice that, i used to remain silent indulged in sathsang most of the time. i sprung in debate only when i see "dwaitham/vishistadvaitam" are insulted/made fun of.

Moreover, most of the vaishnavas here are gaudiyas, so gaudiyas dont get bothered whenver "dwaitham/vishistadvaitham" gets humiliated. So i sprung to the spot whenever Dwaitham gets humilated.

You people are narrow minded and doesnt understand what i am saying.

I EQUALLY RESPECT ADI-SHANKARA MORE THAN YOU PEOPLE RESPECT.

EVERY EKADASHI I USED TO CHANT "RANGANATHASTAKAM / PANDURANGASTAKAM" WRITTEN BY "SRI ADI SHANKARA".

OF COURSE, FOR VAISHNAVAS, ADI-SHANKARA WAS A GOOD SCHOLAR RATHER THAN A INCARNATION OF SHIVA.

SHIVA INCARNATED AS "VISHNUSWAMI" & FOUNDED "RUDRA SAMPRADAYA". Note : "the name Rudra" itself denotes the sampradaya is founded by Rudra & Vishnuswami is Incarnation of Shiva.

IF YOU PEOPLE WANNA RESPECT SHIVA THEN YOU SHOULD FOLLOW "RUDRA SAMPRADAYA" INSTEAD OF "MAYAVADAM".

SECOND VISHNUSWAMI ALSO proved "KEVALA-ADVAITHAM" FALSE. ALSO VISHNUSWAMI CRUSHED BUDDHISM, JAINISM LIKE ADI-SHANKARA. SO IT IS VISHNUSWAMI CRUSHED BUDDHISM MUCH EARLIER THAN ADI-SHANKARA.

MOREOVER, ADI-SHANKARA WAS A "VAISHNAVATE". HE MAY HAVE WORN KASTURI TILAKA ON HIS FOREHEAD. HIS GITA COMMENTARY, BHAJA GOVINDAM, HIS DEVOTION TO LORD NARASHIMA & ALL HIS VAISHNAVA STOTRAS PROVE THAT HE WAS A VAISHNAVATE.

BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE THAT HIS PHILOSOPHY WAS CORRECT.

Moreover, All Madhava Scholars worshipped Shiva & other gods and also wrote stotras for them. Also Adi-shankara did the same. So Adi-shankara behaved like a vaishnava scholar.

Starting from "Rudra Sampradaya" to "Swami Narayana" everyone proved "Advaitham" false which is enough for a sensible person to reject "Advaitham" & follow any of the Vaishnava Sampradayas.

So dont try to oversmart by quoting the words posted by you for your convinence.

I TOO CAN PINPOINT THE WORDS USED BY MAYAVADIS HUMILIATING DVAITHAM.

Of course telling "Guru Raghavendraswamy" greate than "Adi-shankara" is NOT a BLASPHEMY. Only guruji comes to devotees aid. so thats why i quoted that.

MOREOVER, I FOLLOW "RUDRA SAMPRADAYA", SO SHIVA IS MY JAGATHGURU. I KNOW MORE ABOUT "LORD SHIVA" THAN YOU MAYAVADIS DO. "VISHNUSWAMI" WAS INCARNATION OF SHIVA, NOT "ADI-SHANKARA".

EVERY MONDAY I USED TO DO MILK ABISHEKA TO SHIVA-LINGA. THIS IS ENOUGH TO PROVE MY DEVOTION TO LORD SHIVA.

So without knowing the truth dont blabber.

Guest guest

<--- yes these messages are inopportune, they do not offend directly shankaracharya indeed they are too much... --->

Whenver someone humilates Prabhupada/chaitanya will u be watching the fun. watever feeling you get at that time same feeling i too get. so dont act.

<-- ... and surely not effective in make people more close to the vaishnava tattva -->

Gaudiyas dont have HEART to accept "Swami Narayana" & "Vallabhacharya" as Incarnation of krishna. there are many times Gaudiyas have committed BLASPHEMY by commenting on "Swami Narayana". So this alone proves how much Gaudiyas are close to Vaishnava tattva.

SORRY DUDE, if u can poinpoint a MADHAVA i too think i have right to pinpoint GAUDIYAS.

I PERSONALLY LIKE "DWAITHAM" even though i follow "Shuddha-advaitham". So i cant help when someone humilated Dwaitham.

You people may call me as Dogmatic/Fanatic. I am least bothered. I am doing everything out of my love towards my beloved "Guru Raghavendraswamy".

I AM READY TO GIVE UP MY LIFE FOR MY "GURU RAGHAVENDRASWAMY".

Guest guest

<-- if someone did it he's mad and he will sufer greatly in this life and in the next --->

Gaudiyas have committed blasphemy by commenting on "Swami Narayana". Swami Narayana was incarnation of krishna. so comparing to them i didnt committed any blasphemy.

HEY wat do wanna of Lord Shiva. I also worship Lord Shiva as much as i worship Lord Vishnu. I visit "Shiva temple" on every monday.

Shiva knows that whether i am mad or so called gaudiyas/mayavadis.

Dont consider yourself as a judge.

Guest guest

no judgement, i have only said that who blasphemy he will suffer, if you do not do it, no problem

take a deep breath and calm yourself

Guest guest

The influence of Advaita Vedanta preached by Sri Shankaracharya has pervaded the whole of world. It was this message of Vedanta that Swami Vivekananda, the messenger of Sri Ramakrishna, the harmonizer of all religions, propagated in the east and the West.

The realization of Advaita is the final stage of religious experience. But Shankara never disdained the steps that have to be traversed to attain this stage. It is for this reason that Shankara appears to us an enthusiastic organizer of worship, devotion and rites. He was not merely a monist traversing the path of knowledge. A rare and supreme devotion tempers his entire life and all his writings. The whole of Hinduism is brilliantly and uniquely reflected in the ideals of his life. The effulgent form that he gave to the Sanatana Vedic Dharma may have been dimmed by the passage of time, but it has not been obliterated. The Hindus owe an eternal debt to this teacher whose life span extended over only thirty-two years. He opened up a new and radiant horizon for the spiritual life of India and brought about a revolutionary transformation in her social life.

To call Srimadacharya a mere monist would be to denigrate his personality and his impact. His life in fact appears to be a meeting ground of Advaita, Dvaita and he has gone beyond all these stages to stand effulgent in the radiant light of the self. Rarely among the great does one encounter such harmonization.

Swami Vivekananda has said: " The modern civilized world marvels at the writings of this sixteen year old boy." The modern civilized world is a world of science and reason. Shankara was able to establish the religion of the Vedanta on the firm foundation of science and reason.

Guest guest

Acharya Shankara is one of those god-men who have appeared in the world in historical times in order to establish religion firmly. Shankara's advent took place at a very critical period in the national and in the religious life of India. At that time the Buddhist faith in the Indian sub-continent has passed through many stages of rise and fall for over a thousand years. It had sunk to a condition in which it was not only of absolutely no use for Indian religion and culture, but was positively ruinous. Subjected to the influence of degenerate Buddhism, the eternal Hindu faith had become enfeebled, devastated and disintegrated.

Within two centuries of Acharya's lifetime, India had to encounter the powerful incursion of the Islamic faith. Degenerate Buddhism would not have possessed the vigor to resist the onrush. It was only the immense strength of the Vedic faith, which is eternal and man- made, and is the repository of universal truth, that could stand and did effectively resist the inroad of Islam. The advent, the career, the life work and the teaching of Acharya endowed the Hindu faith with the energy needed for the task ahead of self-defense and survival and ensured the everlasting stability of the Vedic religion by firmly establishing it on very sure foundations. Such a claim for Shankara is amply supported by historical evidence. Has Shankara not come on the scene, it would have been quite within the bounds of possibility that Hinduism got transformed into a veritable Islamistan.

Guest guest

If the Hindus of today can legitimately be proud of their great Vedic religion, it is in no small measure due to the services of this thirty-two year old monk. This needs to be adequately realized by all especially those belonging to man-made cults and sects who dismiss Acharya as a Mayavadi. It is unfortunate that some people indeed have succumbed to falsehood despite of Acharya's efforts. Shankara strengthened the foundations of the eternal Vedic faith to such an extent that the vigor imparted by him was an unfailing support in later years to the work and mission of people like Madhwa, Ramanuja, Nimbaraka etc. this is an undeniable historical fact. In Shankara's life and teaching and propagation lies embedded the immense vitality, which is responsible for the safe preservation and sure sustenance of the eternal Vedic faith.

To designate Shankaracharya as just an upholder of Monism, just like any other sectist Acharya's is a tone down to his gigantic personality and to dilute his contribution. Not in any of his writings does any evidence exist of one-sided outlook, the narrow vision, the vigorlessness, and the incompleteness, which are the characteristics of most of the later preachers and teachers. Indeed Shankara was the greatest, the noblest and the most luminous representative of expansive, universal and all embracing Sanatana Vedic Dharma. All that is sublime, strengthening, glorious in the Vedanta faith as it obtains today is the handiwork of this distinguished monk, and this is true not only in respect of the philosophical aspect of that faith, but also in respect of its practical side.

Harsha Ramamurthy.

Guest guest

By entrusting the heavy responsibility of the maintenance and propagation of Dharma on an all-renouncing order of monks, freed from worldly responsibilities, the Acharya has put the Sanatana Hindu dharma on a firm foundation. Those who are burdened with worldly responsibilities may find it practice, preservation and propagation of Dharma. The foreseeing sage had accordingly brought his disciples together and setting up Maths or monasteries in different parts of India, gave a concrete shape to this programme. This farsightedness of the Acharya astonishes us. The deep thought that the Acharya gave to the problem of maintaining intact, the beneficent character of Hinduism in accordance with Varnashrama and suited to the requirements of different times and places and the different aptitudes of its adherents, keeping the great far-reaching Vaidika dharma free from all turbidity and rescuing its ideologically ramified structure from erroneous conclusions, giving greater luster to the glory of his life. By rectifying wrong notions and semi-Vedic conclusions of the theories with the exponents of which he came into contact in the course of his triumphal tour all over India, he gave a Vedic character to all doctrines. He also took steps to preserve the distinct character of these doctrines. This reveals strikingly the generous nature of the Acharya.

The Acharya revealed his identity at the special request of King Sudhanva in the following words :

" In the Satya Yuga Brahma was the teacher of the world. in the Treta Yuga, it was Vashista. In Dwapara, Vedavyasa was the great teacher. For Kaliyuga, I am the world's teacher".

The advent and departure of Srimadacharya are both events of past. But his life and message are not set down in the pages of history alone, they have directed the course of Sanatana Dharma and have shed a soft radiance on the inner significance of Vedic Dharma. This becomes clear in the solemn lilting verse with which the Acharya concludes his masterpiece Vivekachudamani.

` Just as a traveler who has lost his way in the desert goes about in futile search of water and getting no trace of it, sinks further into misery, so in this world, man, deluded by illusions and errors, finds no end to his troubles. His whole being seems to be obscured in the blazing sun of worldly preoccupations. Where is the shade? Where is the water that can bring solace? The shade is but truth of Self, the ever-pure, ever-wise and ever-serene. For the person parched by the heat of worldly affairs, the supreme knowledge of the identity between the Brahman and Atman is the cool water'. Glory to this message of the Acharya that shows this eternal majesty of man in his spiritual crisis down the ages.

Even after long centuries, today the mission of Shankara-Bharati is not over. Acharya has not become out of date. Despite the myriad forms of wealth and accomplishments of man today, there is no end to his sorrow and suffering, for his good sense and wisdom are being clouded over with newer forms of error and delusion. Man is being tortured by lust, avarice, conceit and hatred in their various aspects, what is the way out? This way lies solely in man's realization of his own self as being non-different from the universal self. When everything is the self, who remains separate from the self to be hated or envied? Within all men burns brightly the light of an indivisible essential consciousness. Every human being represents the greatest truth of Brahman in the world in the acceptance, realization and propagation of this undeniable truth. The extraordinary life of thirty-two years of Srimadacharya is a living expression of this tremendous reality.

We have to remember the Acharya's life anew today. From his life- message, we have to find the means and inspiration of resolving the many conflicts of life in the knowledge of the self. Salutations to the incarnation of Sri Dakshinamurthy, the greatest teacher of the universe, salutations to Sri Krishna, the Jagadguru, salutations to Sri Vedavyasa, the teacher of the humanity, and salutations to Sri Adi Shankaracharya, the embodiment of all the three great teachers.

- Harsha.

Totakashtakam

(A hymn of eight verses by

Totakacharya - disciple of Adi Sankara)

viditAkhilasAstrasudhAjaladhE

mahitOpanishatkathitArthanidhE |

hridayE kalayE vimalam charaNam

bhava sankara dEsika mE saraNam ||

Oh, Thou, the knower of the entire ocean of milk of scriptures, He Who teaches the truths found in the great treasure chest of the Upanishads ! I meditate on Thy faultless feet. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara.(1.)

karuNAvaruNAlaya pAlaya mAm

bhavasAgara dukhkha vidUnahridam |

rachayAkhiladarsanatattvavidam

Oh, Thou Ocean of compassion ! Save me whose heart is tormented by the misery of the sea of birth. Make me understand the truths of all schools of philosophy ! Be Thou my refuge, Master Sankara ! (2.)

bhavatA janatA suhitA bhavitA

nijabOdhavichAraNa chArumatE |

kalyEsvara jIvavivEkavidam

By Thee the masses have been made happy, Oh, Thou of noble intellect, skilled in the quest of Self-Knowledge ! Enable me to understand the wisdom relating to God and the Soul. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (3)

bhava Eva bhavA niti mE nitarAm

samajAyata chEtasi kowtukitA |

mama vAraya mOhamahAjaladhim

bhava sankara dEsika mE saranam ||

Knowing that Thou art verily the Supreme Lord, overwhelming bliss arises in my heart. Protect me from the vast ocean of delusion. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara!(4)

sukritE(a)dhikritE bahudhA bhavatO

bhavitA samadarsanalAlasatA |

atidInamimam paripAlaya mAm

Desire for the insight in unity through Thy Grace will grow only when virtuous deeds are in abundance - and in all directions. Protect this extremely helpless person. Be Thou my refuge, Master Sankara ! (5)

jagatImavitum kalitAkritayO

vicharanti mahAmahasachalata: |

ahimAmsurivAtra vibhAsi gurO

bhavasankara dEsika mE saraNam ||

Oh Teacher ! For the purpose of saving the world the Great Ones take various forms and wander in disguise. Of these great Ones, You shine like the sun ! Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (6)

guru pungava pungava kEtanatE

samatAmayatAm nahi kOpi sudhIhi |

saraNAgatavatsala tattvanidhE

bhavasankara dEsikamE saraNam ||

Oh, Best of Teachers ! Supreme Lord Who has the sacred bull as His banner ! None of the wise Ones is equal to Thee! Thou are compassionate to those who take refuge in Thee! Thou treasure chest of Truth! Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (7)

viditA na mayA visadaikakalA

na cha kinchana kAnchana masti gurO |

drutamEva vidhEhi krupAm sahajAm

bhava sankara dEsika mE saraNam||

I do not understand correctly even a single "branch of knowledge". I do not possess even the least bit of wealth, Oh Teacher, quickly bestow on me Thy Grace. Be Thou my refuge, Oh, Master Sankara! (8)

2. Even one of your Great Vaishnavas Rajaji has observed that " Adi Shankara, drank the ocean of Knowledge as easily as one sips water from ones own hand".

and continued....

Knowledge leads to Bhakti.. that's why in his later years Sri Sankara develop devotional hymns to inculcate Bhakti in the heart of man.

Bhaja Govindam.

Well friends, Guest is right... It is really bad to say something wrong against Sri Sankara.

It has become the habit of a few people in this forum to abuse Adi Shankara.

1. Please remember it was Adi Shankara, who re instated Hinduism in India. Otherwise India would have been a country of Buddhists and Jains ( or may be muslims and Christianns)

3. So before making any abusive comments on Shankara, think what you will be in his absence.

4. None of the Advaitins, or Smarthas, or Shaivites are making abusive comments about "YOUR" Raghavendra, or Ramanuja or PrabhuPadha

5. So its only civility and commonsence to abstain from offending Shankara.

Hope I am making myself clear.

Adi Shankara is the incarnation of Siva(hence the name), so Vaisnavas shouldn't commit offenses to him.

Also I think Caitanya is a better person to compare to Ramanuja than Srila Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada. Caitanya was the initiator of Gaudiya practises, Shrila Prabhupada was following the teachings of Caintanya 400 years later. He was not creating his own beleif system.

Hello,

I'm sad to see what's happening. I am not of profound knowledge in Hinduism, but I do feel Hindus should be united and refrain from making attacks to other people's beliefs and traditions. As per context, Adi Shankara has merged with the supreme. It's up to us to work on our karma and merge with the supreme. No offence to anybody.

“And such was the heart of Shankara that he burned to death lots of Buddhist monks by defeating them in arguments (quarrel?). What can you call such an action on Shankara’s part except fanaticism?”

[Vivekananda: Complete Works vol. VII, p. 117 ff.]

Hey Guys all the Saints are great and have played their role in todays world, just because you follow some view the other is not false.Learn to respect every saint and every philosophy.Stop fighting and start practicing what you have learnt from your Revered Gurus.Shastrarth or fighting over philosophy will not get you to God, but practicing in secrecy what you have learnt will.

Dharma Samsthaapanarthaaya sambhavaami yuge yuge- This is what god said.

Whenever there is any threat to our Dharma, the god incarnates to save our dharma.

He has done it as Adi Shankaracharya and he has done it as Shri Raghavendra swamy.

This is not the time to discuss who was greater than whom in between ourselves. We all should get together and pray to that god to take another incarnation now to save our dharma which is under threat .

See, Advaitha provided a base for the Dwaita. And as somebody has quoted earlier, if Adi Shankaracharya had not incarnated, hinduism would have not been there for Shri Raghavendra swamy to take incarnation.

It is easily visible that all these things are inter-connected.

So brother, lets not fight. Its time for us to unite.

Adi Shankaracharya is also god, Shri Raghavendra swami is also god.

ok, good.

Priya vaakya pradaanena sarve tushyanthi maanavaha.

Hari om

Kiran Vipra