IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Fish

Is the mind and soul seperate?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

soul is existence.. you exist, you never exist more, less, worse or better.. you simply exist and this quality of existence does not change

mind changes, from a child's mind, to a boy's mind, to a man's mind to an old man's mind and so on...

so mind and soul (=the real self) are of different nature, mind is under the time's dominion, soul is transcendental

feeling is another kind of thinking, more fast, so fast that we think that it does not come from mind, but it comes from mind.

the first time you use a computer to write you search every letter in the keyboard, one by one, slowly, now you do not even think about it, hands go by themselves on "a", "b", "c", ".", "(" and so on, It does not mean that you are no more thinking, that you are no more using mind, mind is there, but very fast..

it is very difficult to lose our external illusory identification and to come back to our real ego consciousness, soul consciousness... it is not so easy as to say that feeling is soul..

if we spiritualize ourselves dedicating everything to the service of god, like arjuna have done in the gita, all becomes soul, spiritual, even conscious mind, even body

Srimad Bhagavatam, Translation/Purport

by

Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada

TRANSLATION

Then he amalgamated all the sense organs into the mind, then the mind into life, life into breathing, his total existence into the embodiment of the five elements, and his body into death. Then, as pure self, he became free from the material conception of life.

PURPORT

Maharaja Yudhisthira, like his brother Arjuna, began to concentrate and gradually became freed from all material bondage. First he concentrated all the actions of the senses and amalgamated them into the mind, or in other words he turned his mind toward the transcendental service of the Lord. He prayed that since all material activities are performed by the mind in terms of actions and reactions of the material senses, and since he was going back to Godhead, the mind would wind up its material activities and be turned towards the transcendental service to the Lord. There was no longer a need for material activities. <font color="orange"> Actually the activities of the mind cannot be stopped, for they are the reflection of the eternal soul, but the quality of the activities can be changed from matter to the transcendental service of the Lord. </font color> The material color of the mind is changed when one washes it from contaminations of life-breathing and thereby frees it from the contamination of repeated births and deaths and situates it in pure spiritual life. All is manifested by the temporary embodiment of the material body, which is a production of the mind at the time of death, and if the mind is purified by practice of transcendental loving service to the Lord and is constantly engaged in the service of the lotus feet of the Lord, there is no more chance of the mind's producing another material body after death. It will be freed from absorption in material contamination. The pure soul will be able to return home, back to Godhead.

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/15/41

jiva has a mind.

a soul with some dessires is a jiva.

mind makes desires.

it wanders around (jumps from one thought to another) if not kept in control.

you can control your mind.

make it think what you want it to think.

the process of advancing spiritually by controlling /focussimg nind is calld dhyana yoga.

you are the soul, the jiva with a body and a mind.

Guest guest

Is material mind and spiritual mind different?

jiva=spiritual x [body + intelligence + mind + ego???]

- material condition = jiva + material body + subtle body [intelligence + mind + ego]

BG 7.4: Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego — all together these eight constitute My separated material energies.

BG 7.5: Besides these, O mighty-armed Arjuna, there is another, superior energy of Mine, which comprises the living entities who are exploiting the resources of this material, inferior nature.

BG 7.6: All created beings have their source in these two natures. Of all that is material and all that is spiritual in this world, know for certain that I am both the origin and the dissolution.

My God, who am I ?

I have looked on at the bhagavad gita though for my course we only look at 1-4 11 and 18. although my understanding is that Krishna argues that as long as we do things without attachment then the self can reach enlightment. Do you believe this and do you believe in reincarnation. I met a hindu women who when asked if she believed in reincarnation she said no next question please and wouldnt discuss it? could you tell me what you all think of this as i no that not every hindu feels the same.

Guest guest

"Is material mind and spiritual mind different?"

yes, but the transition is gradual, one starts to practise, gradually surrenders to krsna, karma develops in yoga and the mind absorbed in krsna's service from material becomes spiritual

everything "touched" by krsna turns spiritual

Guest guest

" although my understanding is that Krishna argues that as long as we do things without attachment then the self can reach enlightment."

yes.. but detachment is not a separate effort, because controlling the mind is impossible, detachment is automatic if we surrender to krishna...

attaching to krsna=detaching from maya

Do you believe this and do you believe in reincarnation.

yes... krsna says that our existence is eternal, in this world we see birth and death but this is at bodily level, we as spiritual soul never take birth, and we never die

Guest guest

Nitai: "From the false ego of goodness, another transformation takes place. From this evolves the mind, whose thoughts and reflections give rise to desire."

Prabhupada:

vaikarikad vikurvanan

manas-tattvam ajayata

yat-sankalpa-vikalpabhyam

vartate kama-sambhavah

[sB 3.26.27]

So this mind is material because it is the product of transformation of the modes of goodness. Then, gradually, being contaminated by different kinds of material desires, it becomes degraded.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.27

Bombay, January 4, 1975