IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Meat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My husband is an abhakta and yesterday, he didn't finish his "chicken pizza" (that he ordered for himself). I ate what was left thinking that it was better than throwing it (the animal would have been dead for no reason). I know that this issue seems very stupid but was my thinking correct?

I know it will bring me karma. Should I do that in the future?

Guest guest

HareKrishna!

All glories to Stila Prabhupada!

No! you should not eat meat for anything.Better throw it than inviting bad Karma. This is my opinion.

Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

do not eat.. the animal is already dead,but if you eat him you are one of the killers

(wasn't it digusting?)

if you have veg. foods available,

then do not eat non veg.

if it is sever emergency - life/death situation, then you could eat what ever saves life.

however, some do prefer to die than eat meat.

Guest guest

if you are driven to eat meat sometimes, perhaps this is the thing you should do. "hindus" by their own admission admit human variability, what you are driven to.... is it wrong? is it your will?

Guest guest

It is explained in the Sastra that not only is the killer of an animal implicated in sinful reactions, but also one who transports the meat, one who cooks , one who eats. They are all guilty of the sin of killing the animal and will have to suffer the bad karma.

This is similar to the legal system, if someone commits murder, then another person disposes of the body that person will be charged with as much severity as the actual murderer. He did not kill but he was involved. Maked sense.

Better to give up meat, as what goes around comes around,and if you are involved in the killing of animals, which means eating meat, you will have to suffer the reaction.

This is not my personal opinion but this is comming from the Vedic knowledge.

But isn't killing an animal free that creature from it's Karma? And maybe, his next life might be human and he can gain the knowledge to get to godhead. And didn't God Vishnu eat meat? In Ramayana, he ate the meat when it was served by his devotee with pure love. A fisherman's job is to fish, he has to do it in order to survive. Isn't it what Gita or Ramayana says? And didn't Krishna say in Gita to Arjuna when he was afraid to go to war with his brothers that he would only kill the body not the soul?

In Saivaism, Kanappa Nayanar was a wild man who lived in the forest and his job was hunting. He gave the meat to Lord Siva as a pooja thing, and the Brahmin who was doing Pooja there was angry about this act, and he asked the God why he would allow such an act, and who causes this. And God told that Brahmin in his dreams that the meat Kannapa Nayanar was serving was sweet than the flowers the brahmin was serving.

Guest guest

But isn't killing an animal free that creature from it's Karma? And maybe, his next life might be human and he can gain the knowledge to get to godhead.

••no.. in this way you interrupt his evolution to the human specie, he has to reborn to complete his life of chicken, cow, lamb etc.... so it is a great disturbance and sin

And didn't God Vishnu eat meat?

••if you can do entirely what vishnu do i autorize you to eat my wife.. but you are a common man so follow the rules of peace and civilization

A fisherman's job is to fish, he has to do it in order to survive.

••and he's very unfortunate, he's born in a condition like that because his past sins.. and generates new sins

Isn't it what Gita or Ramayana says?

••no... you cannot turn meat or fish killing in karma yoga or bhakti yoga

And didn't Krishna say in Gita to Arjuna when he was afraid to go to war with his brothers that he would only kill the body not the soul?

••this was a special case, it is done by the direct order of krsna, it is not an activity recommended for everyone... the same, if you manifest the special qualities of arjuna i authorize you to make out of ordinary things, like eating meat, drinking alcohol and killing million of people.. If you are an average human follow the rules given to average humans by god krsna bhagavan (offer a flower, a leaf, a fruit a little bit of water, with love and devotion..bhagavad gita.... etc.)

And God told that Brahmin in his dreams that the meat Kannapa Nayanar was serving was sweet than the flowers the brahmin was serving.

••other special case... first show the devotion of this or these saints, than krsna in your heart will suggest you your way, even if different from the one of the average humans

if we want to have the privileges of god or of some devas or saints we have to show also their qualities..... no qualities, no privileges

Guest guest

perhaps i'm missing something from the original question, but why would her eating meat be a problem unless she's trying to be a brahmin? is this a hare krishna sect thing? as far as i can tell strict vegetarianism only applies as a personal (mabe brahminical) choice.

But isn't killing an animal free that creature from it's Karma?

No, it interrupts its natural development and evolution towards human life.

And maybe, his next life might be human and he can gain the knowledge to get to godhead.

By the same logic you can go around killing other people hoping they "may" be born in a spiritual family next life.

And didn't God Vishnu eat meat?

No. There is no instance mentioned in the shastras of Vishnu eating meat.

In Ramayana, he ate the meat when it was served by his devotee with pure love.

There is absolutely no mention of Ramachandra eating meat in the Ramayana of Valmiki. Such claims are completely unsubstantiated. The Ramayana states Ramachandra took the vow of eating only roots and fruits.

A fisherman's job is to fish, he has to do it in order to survive.

Our actions are chosen by us, and we must suffer the results of our sinful choices. Someone may think that it is his job to go around killing people and stealing their money, but this is just his confused mind cheating him.

Similarly the fisherman has chosen to engage in a sinful activity, and he must suffer the results of his actions. Pretending that it is "his duty", as though God has come to him and instructed him to kill fish, is just an attempt to avoid responsibility for our actions.

Isn't it what Gita or Ramayana says?

No, the Gita teaches us to give up all false conceptions of religion and simply surrender to the lotus feet of Lord Krishna (sarva dharman parityajya...).

And didn't Krishna say in Gita to Arjuna when he was afraid to go to war with his brothers that he would only kill the body not the soul?

By such a logic one can kill anyone and claim the soul didn't die. This is not the message Lord Krishna taught in the Gita.

Guest guest

is this a hare krishna sect thing? as far as i can tell strict vegetarianism only applies as a personal (mabe brahminical) choice.

No my friend its not a Hare Krishna sect this it just common sense.

What goes around comes around, if you give out pain, you will recieve it, what you sow you will reap and all that.

Meat eating requires the fettering, and suffering of animals,and ultimately the animal has to die. This is an act of violence and it will come back to you wheather you believe it or not, wheather your hare krishna sect or not.

Its a common sense thing.

Guest guest

Your discussions are very interesting, and taught me a lot.

I want to know if total non-violence is possible at all? What about the pests that eat food grown for humans? Are they not killed? What about the bacteria in Yoghurt? Don't they perish in our stomach?

What about the insects we crush and the micro-organisms we decimate?

Closer, isn't it violence to win a job in a job interview? Isn't it violence to be angry with someone?

I have been a vegetarian all my life, and been trying to understand this better - it seems that we have to kill in order to survive, what difference does it make whether one kills a plant or an animal? Don't they all have lives?

Eating a cow is sacrilege to hindus, and eating a pig a blasphemy to Muslims, don't you think that these are simply rules made for social reasons? Cows had more value alive than dead, and eating pigs was unhygienic?

Who decides which life form is higher than the other? Seriously, do we really think we are the top of the entire animal, plant, and other life-kingdoms? Are we really the pinnacle of evolution?

I'm no expert on anything folks, but it would be fulfilling to find answers that are not all "faith and belief".

Guest guest

i may agree with you but ultimately the choice is hers. if too much emphasis is placed on vegetarianism then perhaps the greater knowledge is lost. being a vegetarian may be 'common sense' to some people, but this could be about a persons will to eat meat, which no amount of preaching is going to change. i'm talking about the broader implications of how we deal with vegetarianism, not the common sense factor.

Hey... Thanks for clearing my misunderstanding. I had a conversation with my father about meat eating before, and he said that in Ramayana, Vishnu ate meat. That's why I got an idea that meat eating is not bad. Thank you all for clearing my big misunderstanding.