IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

english to devanagari translate

Rate this topic

Guest guest

my long term girlfriends name is jennifer ( shes east indian / philipino) and i wanna get her name tattoo'd in hindu script but cant find it anywhere , if you could help me that would be great . . . justindavies16@hotmail.com

Guest guest

it's a little tricky to translate western names into devanagari. the difficulty with the name jennifer is the first 'e', the sound of which has no close equivalent in devanagari. it is often translated to a sound something like the 'a' in 'ate' but more stacatto. other than that it isn't that tough. i would render it 'jennifar' (see below for how to get the devanagari), though you might consider dropping one 'n'. the difference is the difference between pronouncing jen-nifer and jen-ifer and is only a minor point. i like the look of the double 'n' myself, but be careful when you get it tattooed because it is very similar to the letter 'tra' and you want to avoid getting jetrifar tattoo onto your body. if you examine both closely you will see that the 'nna' has little hooks or loops on the ends of the bars and that they are slightly curved, while the 'tra' has no such hooks and the upper bar is usually bent. goto

http://www.aczone.com/itrans/online/

and run 'jennifar' through the transliterator. bear in mind that there are hundreds of different languages and many different scripts in india. but the only real conflicts are if her family is south indian or moslem (speaking tamil or urdu respectively). but you probably know this already. sorry for the long-winded explanation.

good luck!

I transcribed Jennifer already in a former posting.

It is a fact that you will get an Indian pronounciation if you trancribe an English name into an Indian script.

A short e is found in the South-Indian languages and scripts. I don't suggest an double n, because in the pronouciation is no double n. In English a double consonant has influence on the vowel which precedes the consonant. Jenifer (with one n) would be like Jinifer. This is not in the Indian scripts.

A typical North-Indian thinking that all South-Indian are Tamilians. Tamil is just one language of the four main Southern languages. Even Telugu has more speakers than Tamil. The South Indian scripts (except Tamil) are very well fit and used for Sanskrit, unlike the Northern scripts like Punjabi or Bengali.

The scripts are from the same source and follow the same system (ka, kha, ga, gha etc.) Only the shape of the symbols are different.

Hello there.

I have been trying, with some success, to get the names of my children, "Bodhi" and "Jayna", written in Devanagari script. I have received two translations for "Bodhi" from other sources, but they did not look the same.

This is what I have received already for Bodhi: बोधि

This is what I have received already for Jayna: जेना

"Bodhi" is pronounced: Bo-dee. (Bo, like in "boat")

"Jayna" is pronounced: Jay-nah.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but my real goal is to get them in Tibetan.

If you can help, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you, :)

Dave

Guest Vedana

Hi all,

I have kind of a similar situation, except that the words I'd like to have in devanagari script is already from the Pali language.

I would like to get tatooed Adhiṭṭhāna and Viriya in their original scriptural form. Pali has been written in many indic scripts so I decided to go with devanagari.

I have searched in many web articles and always the words were present in latin script but never in devanagari.

So I tried to make them up myself using a virtual devanagari keyboard, but I would need someone to correct me.

Or if anyone could point out any ressources that could be useful

This is what I got for adhitthana (one or the other)
अढीत्थान

And for Viriya

वीर्ग़

Any one who has knowledge of devanagari could probably help me find the right scriptural form of these words.

Thanks !!!