IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

As many of you have heard, our godbrother, Bhakta das, has been held on false charges

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bhakta das' vindication

by Rasananda das

Posted September 19, 2003

Dear devotees,

As many of you have heard, our godbrother, Bhakta das, has been held on false charges, framed by misled police officers, in Orissa for the past three years.

In the latest court hearing two days ago the arresting officer was finally in the witness box. He admitted that there was no evidence of the alleged crime having been ever actually committed by anyone; that Bhakta das' name was added to the charge later; that he (the police person) had not read the charge when the arrest was made but only when on ordered to by the court three weeks later he had it translated; that he did not know the complainants' permanent address and had no way of contacting them and that he had made no effort to keep them in the country or to have them place any bond guaranteeing their appearance at the trial as required by law.

The judge, indirectly admitted that the entire case was fabricated by at one point jokingly asking the police person: "Why did you write this book?", referring to the case file which is about 2000 pages long. The actual motive of these police officers was to extort money from "the accused".

The arresting officer was then asked why Bhakta dasa had not been arrested initially, when the 'charge' was first made and not three weeks later as was the case. He answered: "Because there was no evidence." Then he was asked "What new evidence was there when you arrested him?" He made no reply.

Examination of the arresting officer will continue next week and perhaps one or two more days after this. Then the officer who ordered the arrest will be questioned.

It is hoped and expected that Bhakta das' formal exoneration and release will be soon forthcoming. This has been a scandalous and criminally false case against a devotee who has had close pastimes with His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada and we are pleased that his blamelessness is now beginning to become publicly clear.

Rasananda das

Guest guest

Now let's see what happens to these criminal cops!

if anything

I'm fairly certain nothing will happen to them. I never heard of a corrupt cop being disciplined in India. All of this just goes to show that a profession reserved for kshatriyas is instead occupied by rakshasas and other low-class people.

My wife told me how many times before marriage she had been harassed by males on the streets or on the way to school, and when I asked why she couldn't go to the police to stop it, she looked at me like I was crazy. People don't call the police to stop problems over there. Not unless they have money to give.

I had gone to see Bhakta Das around a month ago. He is a very nice devotee who sepnds all his time chanting and worshiping his dieties while in confinement. Everyone knows he is innocent, but the government politics are so heavy there that they just drag it on and on hoping to extort money from him. Most people would not be able to handle such a situation, being locked up for three years in such a place, but he has handled it with unbelievable strength and his sadhana has increased with every attack these demons make. He is blessed with the association of Srila Puri Maharaja from time to time, so this certainly has given him all strength and confidence. Bhakta Das accepts everything that has happened as his own bad karma from previous lives and uses this situation as an opportunity to increase his Krishna consciousness. We should all learn from his example how to act in Krishna consciousness when faced with uncontrollable unpleasant circumstances.

Guest guest

Hari Bol Prabhus!

This is Bhakta dasa writing from SCB Medical College in Cuttack. Without doubt the only reason I was put in this stupid case is because the police of Orissa wanted a huge payoff ($100,000 ) from me. There is not one drop of truth to this case, yet I am detained as prisoner for 3 painful years.

Because the case is so blatantly false and the actions of the police are so obviously rotten, I will try to get some compensation from the government. I know it is a long-shot, will take lots of time; but I have to try.

Generally, NO ONE stands up to the police here. They pay them and run away. The police are a law unto themselves. There is no meaning of integrity within the police of Orissa, and I assume over most of India. I am told the Orissa and Bihar are the worst though.

EVERYTHING here depends on money. If you have money they will extort, and if you don't you suffer from poverty. Maya is making sure wwe cannot be comfortable in any situation and we'd better get busy with Krishna Nam and HARI BHAJAN and get the hell out of here fast!

Your humble servant,

Bhakta dasa

Guest guest

Very inspiring that Bhakta dasa could maintain his composure in the face of such adversity.

We shouldn't let the government of India off the hook for this. Maybe an article should appear in BTG criticizing the Kali-Yuga government of India? ISKCON seems to have some clout with the existing prime minister - perhaps it's time to call in some favors? If it can be done, it would go a long way to publicizing the corruption in India's police and embarassing India into mending its affairs.