IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
starrdarcy

The Ramayana 2 - a possible book, or is it?

Rate this topic

As a writer and designer of the Ramayana series (formaly known as Legends Re-told) i must say that the Ramayana is the best book i have ever attempted to convert to modern day or future. But an idea has come to mind that might be possible. A second Ramayana, but there is a problem, there was no Ramayana 2, and second, what would be the reason for a sequel. Well, in order to have sequel, a few things have to changed in the first Ramayana, but another problem comes up when doing this. Isnt the new Ramayana supposed to be from the original? and if there was a plot change at the end would the story be still as good? These questions are big, and have complex anwers - which unfortunetly i dont have an answer too.

On the other question - whats the reason for a second Ramayana? There are several but the most important is - what happens to Rama, lakshmana, and all the other characters after the story ends? In a sequel this question would be solved, but again some changes would have to occur in first Ramayana in order to make a sequel. Changes that i'm not willing to make - yet.

As starrdarcy, i have yet to decide whether to make a sequel, of course your input is welcome. I have a few ideas, but as for now, i still have to right the first one.

-starrdarcy

Yeh i know there was no Ramayana 2, but hey, cant there be a sequel, or at least a short book on what Rama's life was after the he conquered evil? Sounds totally right, in fact there will be a sequel. But i still have to right the first one, i shoudnt be talking about a sequel when the first hasnt been written.

-starrdarcy

What you're talking about is not Ramayana, but some fiction using elements from Ramayana. You should know that most readers interested in Ramayana would take offense for the reasons mentioned by other members here. Any writer keeps at the core of each project two questions: What's the purpose? and Who is the audience? You've discussed your reasons for wanting to "right" these books, and most of us here will not be impressed by them. But who would your audience be? Practically no one who actually reveres Ramayana would have much interest in so-called activities of Rama made up by you or by me.

To understand what Rama's and Lakshman's lives were like after the events recounted in Ramayana would require revelation by Rama Himself. The process for qualifying yourself for such revelation may be more than you're willing to handle.