IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kulapavana

Varnashrama dharma - still relevant

Rate this topic

Yes, the slaughterers get slaughtered in next lives, just like on that picture.

In the typical samsara cycle: cow (goodness), tiger (passion), monkey (ignorance) are examples of the the last steps before returning to human form. But that is not a rigid rule. Some animal bodies show tremendous influence of the mode of goodness, like certain birds who mate for life only once, and never mate again when their partner dies.

my next question which was to be - are cows, tigers and monkeys the only animal forms that get reincarnated to human? I am thinking from your bird example that no this is not the case that souls encased in other types of bodies can also come to be human. Is this correct?

The cycle of reincarnation is very complex and many forms can be the last stop before human form. These 3 are given as examples of highly evolved animal forms preceding human life and can be seen as categories rather than individual species (tigers, panthers, lions etc are seen as belonging to one of such categories). Bears are seen as another entry point form, for those in mixed passion and ignorance. Based on your particular mix of modes you get appropriate form.

Back to the varnashrama issue:

This always makes me laugh:

Devotees (western of course) who spend all kinds of money to get an astrological chart(s) made for them, but who have no idea what their varna is, and even that it is important to one's well being to know about your varna...

Guest guest

The Vedic religion, or varnasrama-dharma, is also called eternal because no one can trace out its beginning. The Christian religion has a history of 2,000 years, and the Mohammedan religion has a history of 1,300 years, but if we try to trace out the origins of Vedic religion, we will not be able to find a beginning. Varnasrama-dharma is accepted as the eternal religion of the living entity.

(Elevation to Krisna Consciusness, p.7)

I'm varna-sankara. Do anybody know how they should act?

Re varna sankara: you are a burden to Mother Earth only if you act contrary to the vedic religious principles...

Re eternal religion of the living entity: I think you mean sanatana dharma. Varnashrama dharma is limited to the material world and is actually absent during satya yuga. But yes, Vedic religion is eternal :-)

Guest guest

Many things can be cow protection, but not eating cows is just being neutral. I let retired cows graze on my land. That is probably a step towards cow protection on my part ;-)