IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sirona

Do you have to be born into Hinduism?

Rate this topic

Hello, I stumbled across some "What is Hinduism" FAQ saying that that "conversion" to "Hinduism" is not possible and that to be a "Hindu" you have to be born as one. I admit that I lack the Indian cultural background which cannot be acquired even by most zealous imitation but the matter of fact is that I believe. I do believe in Krishna. If they want to take this away from me the only way is cut my heart out. If may be possible that a "real Hindu" doesn't accept me because I'm white in my face, but that won't change anything about the things inside. So if there's no way to actually touch my innermost soul does anybody have the right to tell me what I am so-to-say not allowed to believe in, to tell me something he is practically not able to enforce? Common sense says no, but I'd like to ask for your advice, because about this I feel confused and a little bit upset.

Don't worry, you really don't have to be born in hinduism. The people who say you have to be born into hinduism and you cannot convert are probably joking or are completely ignorant of their past.

Because, there is nothing to convert to. Hinduism consists of Christian beliefs, Shinto, Muslim, Jewish and other belief systems.

Hinduism is not a religion and Krishna is not limited to Hinduism.

Krishna is there in churches/mosques/stupas as well as in temples. If you go to the spiritual vraja and ask krishna if he is hindu , he will probably laugh at you /images/graemlins/smile.gif , because he is independent of all religions.

God does not belong to any religion, he belongs to your heart, so chant and be happy! . Krishna will come to you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

One need not be born as Hindu to beleive in Hinduism. Who is talking like this. As per the Dharma of Hinduism, anyone who has principles in life as presscribed by vedas is considered a Hindu.

Guest guest

Recently I read in a book that, the two most important doctrines of Hinduism are, 1) Eternity of the Soul and 2) Transmigration of the Soul (Reincarnation or Rebirth). If you believe in these two doctrines firmly, and follow the Sanatana Dharma, then you are a Hindu, no matter where you are born and which family or faith you are born. When you have declared that, the Lord Krishna is your Ishtadevata, you are already a devout Hindu!

God is after of our hearts and the purity of our soul, regardless of skin, culture, race and traditions. There are whites who have "black hearts", and there are dark skinned individuals that are having a wonderful soul and an honest heart.

Guest guest

surely i was not clear: hindu is a "material" definition ... "hindu" means "indian"... so, i am not indian, i am not hindu, i try to be krsna conscious.. i have many beliefs shared with hindus

the name hindu is (ethimologically!!!)connected with the land india, to say that a italian, australian, french can be an hindu is the same that to say that he can be indian

Guest guest

You are talking of two different things: hinduism and Krishna. I strictly believe that you have to be born a hindu. You cannot be converted to Hinduism, but huh what is this. isnt it tru that Hinduism is way of life more than a religion. So why really does it matter whether people accept you as a hindu or not.

You secondly mentioned that you love Krishna. Now who is Krishna? is he some hindu ... NO. its just the way hindu's refer to the almighty...and trust me he has no religion. He is only ONE .. People who follow different faiths just call him by different names.

Beleiving in God is following the path of humanity, then it really dosent matter which faith you follow or which religion you belong.

Mangesh

<< I strictly believe that you have to be born a hindu. >>

sure you can belive anything, we dont mind.

belive that the sun rises in the west.

we have no problem.

but the facts do not change, just because you chose to belive something that is not true.

body - race - skin color, etc. has no inportance in hinduism. if one is a krishna devotee, then one is a hindu

simply because krishna is a vedic god.

you see, hinduism is not a religion like others.

it is dharma for all.

any person or a group

whose actions and thoughts are closer to gita,

is the hindu to the extent of the closeness and depth of his understanding of gita. it does not matter what one says one is.

those who are at the far extreme negative end

actually are the asuras.

I feel for your heart felt question. I think you have the right idea about following Krishna. The word "hindu" was given to the people of the Sindhu valley by outsiders...it was not even the indians who gave themselves the name. To my understanding it was the Persians that called us so. Even Krishna says in the Gita that it does not matter what you call yourself religiously....hindu, muslim, christian, jewish, etc. All that matters is that you follow Rita, the dharma set by God, and this is the underlying spirituality beyond all religion. To classify yourself is actually quiet ignorant on a higher level. We only make classificatios to understand the world and communicate through the vagueness of spoken language. As others have said Krishna is beyond religion and convention. It is we humans that make these classification because we are stuck in the maya of duality, discriminations and structures. We need these definitions because we believe we are lost without them. There will come a time when we will outgrow them. Just as Krishna says that the Gita will become useless to those that realize the Truth that the Gita points to. Do not mistake the sign for the Truth for the Truth itself. But until then we must work with what we have and continue to grow. Slowly outgroing conceptions and structures. Until one's consciousness is expansive enough to realize that one is a part and parcel of God.

Blessings dear Sirona, you have just as much right to worship Krishna as any deva.

We meditate on the glory of the Creator;

Who has created the Universe;

Who is worthy of Worship;

Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;

Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;

May He enlighten our Intellect.

very good post dravidian ji,

<< Do not mistake the sign for the Truth for the Truth itself. But until then we must work with what we have and continue to grow. Slowly outgroing conceptions and structures. Until one's consciousness is expansive enough to realize that one is a part and parcel of God. >>

i totally agree with what you said above.

there is an important side point here:

from the vedic point of view, every one at a time is at diffreent spiritual level or at diffeent distance from realizing god. every one has a different mix of knowlege and ignorance and desires and guna and karma. therefore everyone takes different time to realize god. (of course sata sanga can speed up the progress).

a hindu never pushes one in this progress path to god.

now here is the problem.

whey you advance to certin height, or just stand on a different path, some of a different religon see it as not progress but devil's/kafir's work. your progress and practice is very intolerable by the other ideologies. so, they do everything to stop your progress and try to convert or kill you. you have freedom to progress at you own pace, but that freedom can be take away by the barbarisns who do not know dharam at all.

so, now the priority for a vedic person changes

simply becaue, you cannot allow any one to take away the freedom you have to do your sadhana.

no life or no freedom, no sadhana.

no sadhana, no god realization.

Every child born on this planet is a Hindu until he or she is christined or circumcised into other religion which requires conversion. As long as you believe in Saiva Sithantha Sanathan Dharma you are a Hindu. All you need is to learn the scriptures and follow the path laid by the Dharma Sastras. May Peace Be With You.

Guest guest

Hare Krishnas is a sect that openly accepts all people into it's group. Swami Vivekananda's 'Vedanta' movement accepts many 'white' Hindus across the Western world. To be a Hindu you simply have to seek for self-realisation and follow dharma in your life. Studying and living by the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads is a must.

You don't have to be born an Indian or in a Hindu family to be a Hindu. I've met many westeners following Hinduism who are better Hindus than some 'Hindus' who I know, born into Hindu families but don't follow anything - those people don't even deserve to be called Hindus!

You may come across some 'hindus' who don't accept you, but don't worry about them, they suffer from a superiority complex! Your spiritual life is something between you and God and if you choose Hinduism as your way of life and spiritual path nobody can tell you otherwise.

David Frawley is one well-known westerner who is accepted as a Hindu by many other Hindus. Even some ancient Greeks who settled in India, were accpted as Hindus.

In the following link in the 'quotes' section you'd find some westeners who either followed Hinduism, were inspired by it or incorporated Hindu teachings into their lives.