IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mathuradasksb

Salagrams Need a Home

Rate this topic

Dear Prabhus,

Pamo. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I have a very limited number of salagrams to gift to sincere sevakas. I ask that you be an initiated brahmana who is strictly following under the guidance of a spiritual master. Only one sila will be sent to a devotee. As all silas are equally potent, please do not request a specific form.

Requests can be directed to:

bhaktipada108@

I hope this finds you well.

Ys,

Mathura das

Guest guest

could you please tell

how you acquired these and

how the original source acquired them?

thanks.

jai sri krishna!

- madhav

Guest guest

ulness it is picked up from gandaki river by a vaishanv aacharya and given by the aacharya to his disciple, it is no different than a stone.

by accepting a shaligram one committs to worship it faithfully and without fail every day. it is a constant reminder of god and guru, and unfailing dedication of worshipping both every day with love.

it is a token by the aacharya of his love for god and his disciples. it is a reminder that an aacharya gve it in person to one, and then it could be passd down to generations. each generation need to worship it.

if one does not worship an inherited shaligram, then it needs to be passed to any one who would worship it.

it is a krishan moorti, but mostly looks like a marble.

jai sri krishna! -madhav

Guest guest

Salagramam represents the formless nature of His Supreme. It is beleived that Shreeman Narayana in His different form is present in it along with Shree Laxmi Devi. The mythological story associated with Salagram is that Vrinda who prayed to Lord Narayana to marry Her cursed Lord Himself when He cheated her taking the form of her husband. She did not realise that she prayed to Lord to marry her in her previous birth. Vrinda's husband was Jalunder who was born out of sweat droplet of Lord Shiva while churning the Parkadal. So he claimed authority over the Amritham and hence took the blessings of lord that he will not have end. To kill Jalundher (Vrinda's husband) Lord took form as him and appeared in front of Vrinda. Lord Shiva blessed himthat until his patni Vrinda remains chaste he will not have end. When he was capturing all the lokas the Lord to make an end to it appeared as julunder in front of Vrinda when she heard the news that her husband died in the fight between Devas and Asuras. Vrinda on seeing her husband after hearing the death news went and hugged him out of which Julunder lost his power and got killed. Vrinda immediately realised that its Lord and cursed Him to become stone. Lord explained to her about the purpose of her birth and as He was pleased with her chastity and Bhakthi He made her immortal by keeping her soul in Tulsi which is the sacred plant and by always wearing on Him.

Vrinda during Krishna's time appeared as Rukmini Devi and married Shree Krishna. While Satyabhama was tryng to weigh Krishna by all her material wealth, Rukmini placed a leaf of Tulsi and won over the mind of Lord. Basically the principle behind these stories are that Lord can be reached by sincere devotion. Tulsi, Vrinda, Rukmini are all forms of Lakshmi Devi and for the world to realise the essence of true Devotion these are Lord's past times.

Salagram is kept in almost all brahmins houses in south India to my knowledge and like the Shiva Linga it represents the formless God. These sacred stones are found in Kandaki River in Nepal and the Lord in that place is Suyambu (oringated naturally and not man made). Worshiping Salagram is equivalent to worshiping Lord Vishnu/Narayana who is the Supreme and took manny avathar (including Krishna avathar) to establish religion and morals in human society.

Guest guest

Dear Mathura Prabhu,

I suggest you go to

http://www.salagram.net/

and ask the devotees who visit there if anyone is prepared to accept these salagrama Deities as their worshipable Deities.

A salagram is a salagram, no matter if I receive it from the hand of a butcher. But we must do the worship properly, as described in Haribhaktivilasa etc..

-- Muralidhar das

Guest guest

Reply to: anmathur@hss.hns.com

Hare Krishna Prabhu,

I am an ordinary householder living in Delhi. I am not a Brahman by Caste.

I belong to a Kayasth family of Agra. From childhood I have been visiting

Vindraban to the Banke Bihari temple. As a child I have has a strong sense

of devotion to the Lord and have been offering regular prayers since the age

of eight. A few months ago I have shifted to my own house and have in my capacity

tried to make one of the rooms in my house dedicated for the Lord. I have installed

a beautiful representation of "Shri Priya Gopal" here. I have known about Salagrams

from my Grandparents and Saints who visited our place and have since then secretly

wanted to offer my services to a Salagram. Over the past few years I have spent a lot of

time in reading the texts about the virtues of a salagram sila.

>

I am longing to have my lord come to my home. I will serve him with all my devotion

through out my life. I am trying have my lord come to me for the last few months. After

reading your mail I thought that I will write to you as well.

>

If the lord so desires you may like to give me one Sila out of your collection or some day

the lord will grant me the boon of visiting the Kandhaki river and to bring my Lord to my

home.

Hari Bol,

Anuj Mathur.

Guest guest

if you have a strong sense of devotion you must take brahminical initiation, otherwise having a shila is a no go. Chanting of the holy name(s) is possible without any rule, but deity worship has to follow pancharatra, not our feelings or gratification

Guest guest

That question was for Mathuradas, becasue the e-mail contains the name bhaktipada, so I am wondering if you are his disciple?

Strong words ! There is no reason whatsoever for such a dogmatic statement. I think you forget that the purpose of all idols, icons, etc is a very simple one- bring in front of you into focus an object on which you can concentrate as a representation of the lord.

Ultimately you must move from the concrete to the abstract, from the Lord with form to the formless , otherwise there would be no progress. (My friends from ISKCON will violently disagree with this ! to them the formless is like a red rag to a bull !)

Guest guest

and for you the "personal" or "divine form" is only an object to focus on another reality... who's the tolerant and who's the intolerant?

obviously the better position is to say that in the divine reality personal and impersonal are both absolute, not only impersonal

maybe you see the red rag when one speaks about "personal"

<< Salagramam stones are found on the banks of KANDAKI RIVER NEAR MUKTHINATH 140 KMS FROM KATHMANDU >>

yes, but if you pick one up form there, it is just a stone, not a deity.

it is to be received in person from a aacyarya or a saint.

it is to be received with deep devotion and reverace for the guru and teh deity - vishnu.

it is to be worshipped strictyly and regularly without failing.

thus it is commitment, and the aacharya knows if the receiving devotee has that commitment.

ideally, all do not receive shaligram even if they ask for it. thus it is a symbolic certificate from an aacharya about the spiritual position of the recepient devotee.

hope it helps.

Guest guest

Dear friend, I would be grateful if you could bless me with three silas so that I could do pooja in my home. I am already doing nitya pooja with one sila. - Regards. V Selvaraj, Chartered Accountant, 153 I Floor, Mission Street, Pondicherry 605001