IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Fasting

Rate this topic

Today is Janmastami so many devotees will be fasting. I'm wondering where fasting comes from - is it tradition or is it scripturally based. Also, is the point for penance/sacrifice? And how is it determined if its a half day fast or a full day fast?

I too had a similar question regarding fasting during Janmastami day. Since it is the birthday of Lord Krishna, people should have a gala time celebrating the event. This is should include having a wonderful feast, but what is the reason behind fasting during this day /images/graemlins/frown.gif? Iam sorry if my question appears to be offensive in any way.

Thanks,

-Prasad.

Hare Krishna

I think (yep thats think), you fast on Krsna's birthday, out of respect, and then you can feast, but some people eat once in the day, and carry on praying/chanting etc. I find eating once in a day, instead of afer 12.00am, better because it gives me a bit more energy to do sravanam/kirtanam, plus I hate fasting, the only time I do fast for sure is Bhima Ekadasi (nirjala).

-------

<font color="red"> nitai-gauranga, nitai-gauranga </font color>

<font color="red"> jayasacinandana, gaura-hari </font color>

<font color="blue"> All glories to Lord Nityananda and Lord Caitanya!

</font color> <font color="blue"> the son of Saci-devi, who is Krsna Himself in golden hue.

[/color

Guest : "Vaishnavas outside Iskcon do fast for Janmastami, especially Gaudiya Vaishnavas"

-------------------------

Sri Vaishnavas such as my family (from Southern India) and that are not acquainted with Gaudiya or Iskcon Vaishnavism do not fast at Krishnastami.

But, they celebrate it wildly and make all the favorite Items that krishna likes.

They think that Krishna comes to their house on that day so they keep their doors open. They make little krishna foot prints with rice flour or something (not really sure) to indicate krishna's foot prints.

It is true that they don't have breakfast like normal days... and only eat after offering stuff to lord krishna,

but they don't fast all day...

I am not trying to say fasting is bad or anything, but it is just your preference...

I don't think krishna /images/graemlins/mad.gif will get mad if does not fast , but I think Krishna /images/graemlins/smile.gif will be happy if one fasts..

It is all done to make the devotees happy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hello there! Hope you are having a nice day.

I am not a devotee yet of this community, but I know deep inside I am a devotee of the Most High.

You are asking where this fasting comes from? Please allow me to share the meaning or essence of fasting. I do also fast becasue I believe it is important, regardless if there is an activity or festival.

The key of fasting has nearly been lost to the modern community, or to point it straight to the Christians. But take note that fasting is not also exclusive to Hare Krishna or Hindu community.

Looking closely at the Word of God, we find that the Lord never did away with the principle of fasting, but it has been man who has attempted to make it obsolete. Fasting is still a valid key that can be used today to bring us into kingdom living. What is fasting? It is another means by which we can suffer for the Lord, through the voluntary abstinence from eating. On the biblical sense, fasting is done to bring spiritual results and is not simply for physical purposes. Doctors today are discovering the physical benefits of this practice and have found that abstaining from food (not water) for several days has a wonderful cleansing effect upon the body. Many impurities are burned up within the body as it is denied food, thus clearing the mind, and cleansing and healing the body. Even nature shows us that fasting is good medicine as we automatically lose our appetites when sickness strikes. Many people in the world are practicing fasting and finding it not only healthful, but even a wonderful way to lose weight quickly. However, even though we may enjoy these benefits while fasting, WE must primarily fasts for spiritual purposes and not for health reasons. Obeying spiritual principles can produce positive physical results, but they are added blessings.

Matthew 6:16-18 "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." We can see that our motives in fasting must be pure. We are not to do it in order to broadcast it, but we are to do it as quietly and simply as possible so as not to attract attention to ourselves. We are to appear to others as though we are not fasting. There are exceptions, such as when we are fasting as a group for a specific thing. Then it must be announced so that others can take part. We find this in Joel 1:14, "Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the Lord your God, and cry unto the Lord." The main thing the Lord desires is that it be done unto Him and not as a show unto men. Our heart attitude must be right to produce spiritual results.

These then are two reasons for fasting: We receive spiritual cleansing and our spiritual eyes are opened, and we also obtain victory over the devil. When the Lord encountered Satan, He was able to overcome Him because His fasting had given Him spiritual strength. Isaiah 58:6 also gives us light on this purpose of fasting: "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?" Many people believe that fasting is to move the hand of God, when in actuality it is to make Satan turn loose of the things he is holding.

Fasting looses the bands of wickedness. When Jesus discussed the keys to the kingdom, He told us to bind and loose. When we fast, we loose the bands of wickedness, undo the heavy burdens, set the oppressed free, and break every yoke of the enemy. Fasting is an important key to getting the victory over hard situations that do not seem to respond to normal prayer.

Fasting builds our faith. In fact, this is what Jesus meant when he spoke to the disciples in Matthew 17:21 in answer to why they were not able to cast a demon out of a child. He said, "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." He was telling them if they wanted their faith to be at such a level as to be able to cast out demons, then they must fast and pray for their faith to increase.

Fasting also makes it easier for us to hear the voice of the Lord. We find an account of this in Acts 13:2-3:

"As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away."

While fasting, the Holy Spirit spoke to them and gave them direction. We too can be directed by the Lord if we seek Him through prayer and fasting.

We need also to check our motives when we fast. If they are selfish, our fast will not be accepted by the Lord. We see this in Jeremiah 14:10 and 12, "Thus saith the Lord unto this people, Thus have they loved to wander, they have not refrained their feet, therefore the Lord doth not accept them; he will now remember their iniquity, and visit their sins. When they fast, I will not hear their cry; and when they offer burnt offering and an oblation, I will not accept them: but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence." We cannot fast and have evil, unrepented sin or selfishness in our lives and expect God to answer our prayers. Many times we don't even recognize selfish prayers. When we pray for our loved ones to be saved or delivered, and our motive is to only bring relief to ourselves instead of being concerned that they receive the peace and joy of the Lord, we are wrong. Let us examine our hearts when we seek God for anything.

Let's pray:

"Father, You know each one that is reading this today, and I ask You to reach out and meet their needs. Lord, minister to their need now through the power of the Holy Spirit. If there are those who have not been filled with Your Spirit, I pray that You would fill them now to overflowing. Lord, to those who need You as Savior, touch them and come into their hearts; may we be in different communities. For those who need healing in their bodies, touch them with Your creative power. Father, deliver and set free those who are suffering from depression and are bound by the things of this world. Bless Your people, Lord, as they seek Your will and way for their lives. Give them Your strength to use the keys of the kingdom to overcome the enemy. In Jesus' name, Amen."

God Bless! And Praise be the Name of the Lord Forever and Ever!

Guest guest

when there's an important and holy day we fast (or we simplify cooking.. like in ekadasi) to have more time for spiritual practices

fasting is meant for increase the chanting of the holy name... otherwise it is useless, in this era the holy name is the only effective practice

Thank you.

Chanting means to Glorify the name of the Lord right? So when you fast, it gives meaning and the more you are connected to the LOrd. Therefoere, the Praises you speak like the:

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA

KKRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE

HARE RAMA HARE RAMA

RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

Is more like a sweet song to the Lord. The Lord don't limit us on our way of Glorifying Him. So what I am implying is the Fasting in not only limited to increase of chanting. And when someone fast secretly not only to increase the chanting, but of personal attribute to the Lord, do you think it is useless?

What I was explaining is the broad meaning and enterpratation of fasting. I never meant to be a sectarian here.

If you read my notes thoroughly, with open hearts and minds you will surely understand.

Isaiah 55:8-9 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

God Bless You! Thank you.

Just kidding /images/graemlins/smile.gif But if I don't have to fast that would be a good incentive /images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually this year I didn't find fasting all that difficult.

There are benefits that science is starting to learn about fasting. It seems to prolong life in the studies that have been done. Not sure of the reason.

Guest guest

"So what I am implying is the Fasting in not only limited to increase of chanting. And when someone fast secretly not only to increase the chanting, but of personal attribute to the Lord, do you think it is useless?"

yes, it is almost useless.... the things are good and bad if they increase or decrease our chanting hare krishna, or extensively any true god's name or praying..

being the religion of this era (harer nama harer nama harer nama eva kevalam, kalau nasti eva nasti eva nasti eva gatir anyatha) everything is good if it is favourable to the increasing or mantaining this practice... regulative principles, deity worship, fasting, feasting, initiation, meditation, and so on

Guest guest

if fasting make us weak and the chanting became to be difficult or to stop..... if we are honest.... better to give up fasting , go to eat, then chant

Read again..with wisdom:

Isaiah 55:8-9 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

You are speaking in a sectarian mood. As a mentioned, Fasting is not limited and exclusive to KC community only.

Guest guest

i will read again... you will read again!!

for example:

" the things are good and bad if they increase or decrease our chanting hare krishna, or extensively any true god's name or praying."

ok... NOT ONLY HARE KRISHNA

if fasting make us remember god is good......

Guest guest

Chanting Hare Krishna is one way of numbling the people's mind.... repetitious praying is not good...Pray like you are speaking to your friend and not by repeting and repeting it...

For example...when my girlfriend keeps saying..I LOVE YOU..I LOVE YOU....it's nice of course but don't mean it sometimes? Argghhhhhhh i would rather want to hear her say..." let's _____ love " Huraayyyyyyyyyyy

Guest guest

1)be very accurate when you want to destroy one's religion and beliefs... explain very carefully and save us from the hell

2)repetition of prayers and holy names is in all religions

3)your kind of praying is good, but it is not opposite to chanting the holy names

4)your girlfriend is a saint to have the patience to relationate with you

5)there's many other forum to share your sexual experiences

Chanting Hare Krishna is one way of numbling the people's mind.... repetitious praying is not good...Pray like you are speaking to your friend and not by repeting and repeting it...

Chanting the Lord's names is the yajna of Kaliyuga and is the way for us to remember Krishna both during our time in these bodies and at the point of death of these bodies.

Krishna tell us in Bhagavad Gita; Chapter 8; verse 5 - "And whoever, at the time of death, quits his body, remembering Me alone, at once attains My nature. Of this there is no doubt. "

This is surprising to see so many not fasting in holy occassions.

In Malaysia, fasting is a act of purifying the mind and body before conducting some functions. Only time Hindus in Malaysia do not fast is when Deepavalli comes around.

Yet, you guys making a big fuss of withholding food for 8 ~ 12 hours in one day.