IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

How do you deal with abusive neighbours that always give you the evil eye ???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It wears you down after a while.

Everytime we walk in or out of the house

this lady and her two kids stare us down with a glare than says ,"You scum of the earth".

Sometimes in whispers calling us,"*@%!+# Hare Krishna wierdos !"

The kids keep knowking on our doors; and harrassing my kid all the time,telling him that he can't play here,etc....

I guess i should just ignore them and chant Hare Krishna----

thinking myself lower than a straw in the street

and

more humble than a blade of grass.

Or should I be like the devotee snake that when taunted by rough people was told by Sri Narada Muni to show his fangs thus scaring them away?

Krsna may be letting you in no uncertain terms that this world is not your home. Go about your business thanking Krsna for His kind siksa. From their end you are inspiring them to at least chant. Another positive.

If they are messing with your kids that is another matter. Show your fangs.

Who was that president that said "Walk softly but carry a big stick?"

I know about getting the evil eye makes you feel weird if you let it. Keep smiling, your happiness is dependent on Krsna not them.

At least they are being honest in their intentions.

Beware of them but also beware of the false friendly smiles employed by the expert exploiters trying to make you think they have your best interest at heart.

I keep my KC interests a secret for the same reasons... Most people are ignorant and are biased.

In my view, it is wise to avoid those people. But in your case, I recommend appropriate action... and if it is a severe case of racism, I recommend police action.

What can be done?

I might not suggest doing as Lord Caitanya did to such critics in the following link, but I would strongly advise reading the chapter to lift your spirits (needs 20 minutes):

http://geocities.com/caitanyamahaprabhu/bhagm23.htm

I would feel justified in warning them over the fence loud enough for them to hear that if your kids are harmed in any way the police will be involved, and the parents will be punished.

Hare Krishna

Humbleness means for Krishna & His devotees, but if these people are harassing your kids, then leave behind this humbleness, and show your anger, I would, kids are very fragile, so if somebody's messing with them, go full force and give these so-called neighbours of your's a piece of your mind. That's my frank advice..Haribol Prabhuji.

Guest guest

have you a good behaviour?

are you excessively strange and fanatic?

are you disturbing with noises, music etc.?

or

is all their fault?

the test of a true devotee is that he's "dira, adhira janat priyau".. dear to everyone , devote or non devotee

There's a time to be tolerant, and a time it would be maya to be tolerant. Especially if their children are picking on yours. However, at a certain point it is even an insult to Srila Prabhupada, so you can't let them do that.

Of course, you dont want to go from one extrme to the other. I can't say exactly what you should do, but from guru to children, and even self/soul, this should not be tolerated. Its one thing to walk down the street and someone makes fun. Its another when its your next door neighbor.

I remember when I lived in the Portland temple, the neighbor directly nearby hated us. I don't recall the details now, but I clearly remember they did all sorts of mean things, from making sure they bar-b-q'd dead cow during our Sunday feasts near our fence, to much worse, some bordered on illegal. The devotees tolerated and tolerated. Then one day this one devotee who had a very quiet nature but also had inner strength, was outside watering the roses. Again, I forget what triggered this, but the neighbor did or said something wrong. The deovtee was fed up. She took the hose and turned it on them, full force. LOL /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif Interestingly, they never called the police (after all, they had a long list of unlawful things they did to us too, and much worse). All the devotees chuckled. We got to experience a little relief. (Many had to walk past their house regularly to get to the temple.)

Oddly enough, these neighbors backed off a bit! Not totally, but it showed. Sometimes people dont respect those who don't put up boundaries. They think it means we are wimps.

But dont do what she did. ha We were lucky, you may end up otherwise. However, what your neighbors are doing is illegal and you might want to document (write down on file cards with dates) anything they did that fits under the category of 'harrassment' and anything else at all. Better yet would be if there was a mediator, but thats unlikely to happen.

Again, I can't say what the solution would be here, but I do know that those who think we are weird have their own set of fundamental 'mentall' issues, and it does them a favor to set up boundaries.

And yes, be considerate with your music, if you rise early be a good neighbor, etc. But I got the impression you do all these things.

As far as changing the clothes we wear, maybe its part of my training to preach, but I wear whatever I put on for that day, and if someone doesn't like it, let them move to a communistic country. ha Wearing devotional clothing in public is a form of preaching. However, if a devotee is not strong or not comfortable enough to do like this, and becomes too insulted when wearing them outside, etc., it's ok to wear regular clothing. We all must do whats best for our soul.

Sometimes I 'make sure' to wear nondevotee clothes is going to a dentist for example. I want good care! :-)

I guess i should just ignore them and chant Hare Krishna---- thinking myself lower than a straw in the street

and more humble than a blade of grass.

While being humble and ignoring them will work in most cases if you are alone, I believe it is unfair for your childrens to be raising in such situations, no?

Not only in your society, I had reports from my own of similar situations. I have a friend who is a Hindu and he told me he and his family used to live in a village which dominanted by Muslims and they used to throw rubbish and even human waste (wrapped in paper) to the back of the house, all because the family had prayed inside house using incense and fragrant.

His mother complaint a few times to the landlord (Muslims also) but no action was taken, so she packed it up and left them. But she didn't harbour any ill feelings toward Muslims.

Fight back by talking to your neighbour and your landlord. If nothing happens, you can always make police report.