IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

helena in sanskrit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi i would really apreciate it if someone could tell me how to spell Helena in sanskrit.

if you can thanks a lot.

xxhelenaxx

Hare Krishna

Could I please ask why you want your own name tattooed on your arm etc, is it so in case you loose your memory, you can take a look at your tattoo and think ohh thats my name?

My suggestion is to have a name of Lord Krishna on your arm, there are many, then you can choose which one you like.

Please write back and I am sure some people of the forum, could post some sanskrit names of Krishna for you.

Haribol! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

it would look different in different parts of India.

For example, this is how I learned Helena would look if someone in Bengal were to write it.

Posted Image

Please excuse also my poor penmanship and also understand my knowledge of Bengali is elementary so I apologize in advance to any native speakers.

post-153-138274048648_thumb.jpg

Letter for letter in Bengali that is...

ehelna.

Ra would be like:

Posted Image

I just dug out my bengali dictionary and other books, dusted them off and then double checked it against similar words (could not find Helena).

The one thing that I am not sure about is the e between the h and l - should it be the full vowel or just the vowel sign as I have written it. I am thinking the vowel sign as I have it since it comes after the L but those always confused me.

post-153-138274048649_thumb.jpg

when I mistook this thread for Helena's devanagari thread is that in different parts of India I think the name would have slight variations on how it would be written in devanagari. So basically, it could boil down to which one has a more aesthetic appeal (hindi, sanskrit, bengali, tamil(tamil is a different script)) to the individual wanting to use it as a tattoo. Especially since all they seem to want it for is the exotic art appeal.

Basically, the people asking probably do not know the difference between sanskrit, hindi, bengali, tamil or any of the other numerous Indian languages - they saw it on a famous person and it becomes a fad. They think it looks "cool" and that is all they want.

It is like when Madonna slapped a bindi on and my sales for bindis hit the roof - now nobody is buying them anymore. Problem is the tattoos are permanent.

You would be better off finding the script you like best and having a stencil made. Then when you go to the clubs, parties etc you stencil the design on and wash it off later. That way when you are 80 years old you are not smoothing out the wrinkles so people can see what that smudge is on your body! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, the script used in Tamil is really cool! Smooth curvy and flows nicely from letter to letter.

Here is an example of Tamil script:

Posted Image

Says "Curry"

post-153-138274048649_thumb.gif

Hare Krishna

Even if you are whatever 'faith' please have a name tattoo,

which is worthy and nice, there's a name of Krishna which is Narasimha, half-man half-lion, he is both fierce and nice, he gives strenght and destroys material desires, he tattoo would be inspiring to you and other people, you could say to them proudly what you have on your arm, but I waffling a bit, its up to you......Haribol.

I am curious...Why is the half letter "gh" used here instead of the letter H? Or does it just look like the half letter gh in your computer drawing?

Posted Image

Also, why the "aae" vowel mark for the first e and the "ae" mark for the second e? What is the difference in the two E's?

Here is my version - unsure of the vowel marks however:

Posted Image

Can you tell I am enjoying this? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

post-153-13827404865_thumb.jpg

Oops... didn't notice that , may be I should have double checked.

There is only one "9" on the "E" in that name, not two!.

here is the correct one , look at the attachment porfavor...

You see, the "E"(the first letter) is pronounced "HA" if you stick a one next to it , it becomes "HAAA" if you don't stick a one next to it, but stick a crossed "9" on top it becomes "HEY"

If you stick two 9s on top of the "E", then it is pronounced "HAAI"

So to get "HEY" we stick only one 9 on top of the E

Then we write the next letter which looks like two upside down Us attached to the bottom of the # 1

when pronounced by itself , it is called "LA" .

If you stick a number 9 on top of it it becomes "LEY".

So now we have HEY LEY

And then we need a "NA" but by itself we wouldn't see the NA stressed, we would just see "nnn" which really does not make sense.

So we stick a "1one" next to it to make it "NAA"

So now we have,

HEY LEY NAA

In devanagari, if the whole thing is one word, we connect them to show that they are one word... So we draw a huge line on top of them (just below the 9s and above the letters)

And it becomes "HELENA" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, this is a little lesson in devanagari for people who do not know it.

post-1127-138274048652_thumb.gif

only have the one vowel mark on the first letter. I was sitting here last night trying to figure out why two! Not quite sure still why the half letter gh instead of the letter H but don't worry about trying to explain it anymore.

Here is the thread where I helped Govindaram learn to insert the pic on the post.

Pic help

Guest guest

yes very funny, i meant that i wanted the writing style like david beckhams tattoo not to have 1!

hope u got a gd laugh out of it though

Guest guest

thank you for telling me about the different styles or writing. I can see why you get anoyed. I dont want to seem a hypocrit or whatever its called, but would you be able to show me how to write helena in tamil. i understand if u dont want to though

helena

Guest guest

i dont want to sound thick because i dont know the relgion, i prbably wil though.

Who is hare krishna and radha-krishna, i have heard of krishna is he a god.

helena

p.s. didnt mean to get anoy sorry

I can not do it but I do have a friend in Tamil Nadu and also a friend here in the US that I can ask for you. Give me a couple of days and I will try to have it for you here. Happy to help. Or perhaps there is someone here that can also help out.

Tamil script is very pretty!

Guest guest

thank you very much, take as long as you need to find out.

if there is anything i can do, i will be glad to try and help. Not sure that i will be of much use!

thanks again helena /images/graemlins/smile.gif xx

Telugu helena is also really cool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Posted Image

but I prefer the tamil one , pick that one!

if you want, I will give you the assamese one, but that is like devanagari script with the different stresses as used in bengali.

post-1127-138274048656_thumb.gif