IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ruptor

http://vedabase.net/bg

Rate this topic

<font color="blue">My first attempt to have sanskrit displayed correctly on the web site without use of any special fonts or graphics:

http://vedabase.net/bg - Bhagavad-gita As It Is

The only problem so far it seems is that Opera and Mozilla users [less than 1% of all the web users] are gonna see dots slightly in front of the characters rather than straight below them. In some fonts they appear slightly behind, but other than that it looks ok to me.

Any complaints? Clever suggestions? If it looks acceptable, I'll reformat Srimad Bhagavatam the same way and will proceed to the other books.

Sean

PS: I'm still working on PREV / NEXT links. Also the new domain names listed on http://vedabase.net that are marked red aren't configured yet.</font color>

Guest guest

My compliments for all your efforts. This site is very informative. Keep it up. To bad I have got no internet connection of my own. How can read them offline, could you make some .zip downloads available please?

<font color="blue">Prabhu, if you want to read Prabhupada's books off-line, please, buy them. Support vaisnavas. If you want to study them in a digital form, the best option is to buy Vedabase Folio from Bhaktivedanta Archives. (I also recommend you avoid its outdated pirated copies)

My web site is NOT there to promote copyright infringement. It's there to allow people to make references, to do their research and to have an authentic version of Prabhupada's books his devotees can link to.

If you are dying for a zipped pirated copy of Prabhupada's books, I'm sure you'll find heaps of such zip files floating all over the Internet. I'm not going to participate in that. I may disagree with copyright laws protecting 0's and 1's, but a law is a law and I'd rather obey than cause trouble.

Please, DON'T ask me anymore for a zipped copy anyone. Besides, the site is already nearly 200 Mb and it gets rebuilt entirely almost on a daily basis with all kinds of improvements.

Sean</font color>

Guest guest

hhhm, I bought some of srila prabhupada books but the srimad bhagavatam I bought goes to a little part of canto 10. I am very pleased to see the rest on the net now. I have got an internet connection at my workplace, will have one at home later too. Meanwhile I have to visit to libry to read the rest of bhagavatam. I do not agree such laws because this work should benefit everybody also people without money to buy books or people who have to pay high internet costs for being online. Still it remains your efforts and you should do what you want. I have to say thanks again for all the hard work you do to make Srila Prabhupadas books available for internet users. I am still pleased to see these scriptures online.

<font color="blue">Well, I looked at the Character Map that comes with Windows and about 15 min later I had a list of all the necessary characters that are present in all the standard unicode true-type fonts. From there it was only a matter of converting all the special characters to their HTML equivalents. Please look at the source code of the pages to see the technical details. It wasn't hard.

So if your OS supports unicode fonts, it should work fine. Only old or very rare server OS's lack those fonts. So far even Unix users seem to be happy with it.

If you have problems with diacritics on your system, please let me know what OS and what web browser you are using.

Sean</font color>