IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The spot on the fore head

Rate this topic

In order to understand why people keep a spot on the forehead, we need to understand the 'Chakra' system in the body.

You can visit the following link for information on Chakras in the body. (Refer Six Energy Centers - Chakras)

http://www.indiadivine.org/vedic-reiki-chakras1.htm

The spot on the forehead is generally referred to as 'Kumkum'. The following are the main reasons:

1) The Ajna Chakra can be protected by keeping 'KumKum' on the forehead. (It is said that Ajna Chakra is very sensitive. It is concerned with the spiritual aspects of our lives. It also represents the brain and governs the paths we choose and the choices we make.)

- I haven't read this information in any particular book, but I have heard through many learned people.

2) One more reason can be 'To identify the body as a Temple of the Lord'. This also helps you to see others as 'People who are carrying the Lord in their heart'. It will help you to be gentle and show compassion towards others.

3) It is also said that 'KumKum' keeps you away from certain diseases/infections and also acts as an anti-biotic.

I'm sure there are many other reasons which the other members of this forum will tell you.

- PN Prasad

Guest guest

this has become more important now in UK and othe wetern countries because

the muslims terrorists or trouble makers - paki and bangladeshis - look like the hindus to the western people.

so the need is to show - by the forehead mark - that one is a hindu, not a muslim.

jai sri krishna!

Guest guest

Haribol !

Wearing bindhi is actually for provoking the Ajna Chakra, that is helpful to improve concentration , relieve stress

and when some speaks to a person who is wearing bindhi on his / her forehead the concetration of the telling person and the listening person are not lost. They are maintianted.

One cannot hypnotise a person who wears a bindhi.

And in hinduism it has still more values.

Some people - Brahmins , Iyyengars ( us ) wears

Red line in between two white lines .

The two white lines symbolise Sriman Narayanaas Feet

and the Red line represent himself.

These Redline is called , Thiruman - Which is actually made of sand.

Its also states that one day we are all going to be in sand , so let us keep that in mind and maintain the decipline in this world.

Some people - Iyyers - wears Vibhudhi in thier forehead

In three consecutive lines sideways...

THe white color of Vibhudhi represents the purity of life, and its made of ashes of cow dung , which is naturally a good product to health,

Its believed that one day we are all going to ashes ( the body is burnt ) so , lets keep that in mind and dont have worldly desires too much and do evils while living.

Kumkum is made out of Machal - Turmuric which is again ayurvedic health product.

All symbolises the worldy life is not permanant , only spiritual life is permanent , so dont have more intensions towards ur body that is not urs , and u are not that.

Always know the temporamental worldly life and struggle

to reach the paramaathama

Actually we can keep speaking about these things. Hinduism ( the name itslef is given wrongly , but for the name sake /images/graemlins/wink.gif lets call it )

Hinduism is lot more than a religion , its a way of living ,Bhagawat Gita is like Manual which has come for Human body and its smooth operation.

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala !

Srivats

Guest guest

Haribol !

If people want I will get more information about this.

Srivats

That was very informative. Just watching people here I had the impression that only married women wear it. However, I place my faith in your understanding above my inductive conjecture.

I could have said "intelligent guess", but then you would not be in your dictionary right now searching for "inductive" and "conjecture", which are both important words for you to know today.

Haribol !

Thanks for the words Gharu - Inductive conjecture.. looks like i have got a english teacher !! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I am not making a guess work ,

Those three lines which brahmin , wears in head either cross or vertical are for the three tatvaas, Rajas , Thamo and sathva

And also symbolises, Three main Gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva , and three main duties of them , Creating , Saving and Destroying.

Guess thats why the Brahmin , white cross - Punal / Yagnopavadham has three threads, and a married man will have six, three for him and three for his wife and family .

It is believed this way only . There cannot be another reason , i feel that this is like sunrise in the morning set in the evening , but actually our earth is rotating , how we know that some sceintist have told us and sent pictures, but how come we are able to believe them , whats the proof , may the man landed in moon like stuff can be altogether wrong , may be.. but our indian hindus have bad habbit , they wont believe what customes hindus did are good for life, rather they blieve the same thing , when some englishmens do research and tell it.

Is these guys are part of the reaserch atlast they are going to believe someone's theorey.

But they wont believe what thier Mom and Dad and Guru sayings are correct.

Like the concepts , Madi and pathu .. Madi is after the hindu takes the bath , till he finishes the pooja he wont touch others or cloths and they will be wearing well washed cloths which has not touched anyother clots.Its considered as higly purified form to do the pooja.

But our guys will only realise when there is fever and doctor wants us to use only sterlised cloths.

This pathu and ecthi, concept says , when one is eating he should not eat from other plates, others eaten food, or the food item should not touch the eating plate.Moreover The rice and other daily food like sambar , rasam , should not touch the ghee or butterred milk

Know why ?

The ecthai is maintained to make sure ones, saliva is not passed to others through plates, or glasses to ensure that there are no sars kind of spreading dieseases.

The pathu is taken as , the daily food should not mingle up with ghee and butter milk, because the ghee is used loonger and the daily food will become waste soon , so there should not be contact between them to ensure no germs are getting saved in tins for loonger time in the name of ghee.

It applies for pickles also , one should not touch pickle after touching the rice food, he should wash hands before doing so.

Similar the curd milk is used to make milk into curd milk , so the germs will carry over everyday.

Even when hindus put Kolam to decorate thier fron of the house , its for the food od ants , becasue they out them in rice powder and the ants eats them.

All mantraas, whetehr its marriage or Brahmmbodhesam mostly contains slokkas, for the society and worldy benefit , for example , in the Brahmabodhesam - Punal Marriage,

The brahmin guy is given the white cross belt, The slokaas are for teh Universal benefit,

Somehwer down the line , its mentioned as , let out universe be happy , let the cows get food , let the horse live longer, let the small insects and butterflies kind of small animals get thier grace from god. What else one might pray to God ?

everything is there in Slokaas , People now , neither tell them with faith nor telling them understanding the meaning !

There can be other ideas on the same subject , but these cannot be a guess ..

Kali !

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala /images/graemlins/laugh.gif!

Babhru is the English teacher. I am the Mathematician / Logician, and in that capacity I should explain a little of induction since I now see that the dictionary gives little real information about it.

When I see two hundred black crows, I start thinking that all crows are black. This is induction, as opposed to deduction. Deduction is when A implies B, and B implies C; therefore we can conclude that A implies C. So deduction is very exact while induction always contains a particle of doubt.

There are two common errors in induction. One is called HASTY INDUCTION, when I reach a conclusion too soon with not enough evidence. And the second is SLOTHFUL INDUCTION when I have examined many many many cases but am slow to draw a conclusion.

I have seen thirty bears and they were all brown. Therefore all bears are brown. HASTY HASTY. There are white bears (so they say) on the polar caps. But the biggest Hasty Induction error shaming mankind is the Theory of Evolution.

I have seen so many die, and have heard of so many people dying; but I'm still not sure that I will die. SLOTHFUL. SLOTHFUL. Don't live like it's going to last forever. This is man's biggest Slothful Induction error. Remember Krsna now, gHari, before it's too late.

Haribol !

May be i have private lessons with Babhru .. I have done MCA , and my UG is Bsc Maths , this Induction Deduction are also part of it .. but i would say i have got the meaning better on your post.

But I was really awaiting to see your comments on my idea about these things , probabaly other friends will read and come with supporting ideas ..

I suppose most of people here are non indians , if i am not wrong.

Anyone has some data about the members , jus a question out of curiousness.

Srivats

i was born with a birthmark of a freckel in the same spot as the bindu dot is placed , at i got older the spot became a red mole. i was litterly born with a dot on my forehead. some hindus have told me that that i have a blessing on me from god and it is auspicious to have that and my given name is a hindu name that was russianized.

Applying sandalwood paste on your forehead or having different tilak helps to be focussed. A circular tilak helps to become calm and composed whereas a vertical tilak helps to become alert and aggressive.

If you want to know/understand about it, just touch your forehead between your eyebrows with a finger gently and focus on it. Feel the change and decide by yourself...

Guest guest

Sanskrit literature is exceedingly vast, profound and life-transforming. But what do Hindus practice and present to the world about their religion, philosophies and traditions? Whatever is

primitive and ugly. Whatever brings ridicule

upon themselves. Then try to justify and defend every stupid superstition and practice.

The dot on the forehead was invented by priests

to make their wives look as ugly as possible to other men.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Poster 11 says a circular dot makes you calm and a

vertical line makes you aggressive. And he(or she)

describes a method of proving it to yourself. Poster 13

says the dot tends to create a focal point on her face

whatever that means. Both see the dot as something

good, wholesome and attractive.

These two prove exactly my point. See post 12 above.

Despite its phenomenal religious and philosophical

literature and its accomplishments in the arts and

sciences, Hinduism suffers from a poor image. That's

because too many ordinary Hindus are not drawn to

what is great and beautiful, but prefer what is weird

and wacky.

most likely it is nothing more then a sign to tell everyone including demons,; i am a (insert sect here) and i am devout about it. it is like wearing a tshirt or a cross on the neck or anything else.

part of me thinks some of this hindu stuff is fluff, i assume many people do it to draw attendtion to them selves or to humor those around them that insist that your wear tilak.

i at times wonder how much of hinduism is traditional fluff and how much is actually valid and not superstition.

i mean look at the catholics priest that investagate when people claim demonic possession it is typically just mental illness in fact i do not think in the last 50 years since modern psych medicine and theory has taken hold have they since found any actual case of demonic possession.

another point is lord chaitanya took sanyasi to humor the brahmins of the day and he flip flopped the mahamantra so they would not freek out about non-initated chanting.

how much more of vishnava tradition is fluff? lord krishna did those two things to humor the traditionalists how much more is krishna doing this?

perhaps all we need to do it chant the mahamantra and not worry about wearing tilak, or most of the traditions of vishnavaism?

perhaps if it loses too many traditions the whole consept will wane away. if religion changes to much it becomes second nature and will soon go by the way side.

as they say the dharma is a way of life if it was easyer would it really be so easy after all?

Poster 11 says a circular dot makes you calm and a

vertical line makes you aggressive. And he(or she)

describes a method of proving it to yourself. Poster 13

says the dot tends to create a focal point on her face

whatever that means. Both see the dot as something

good, wholesome and attractive.

These two prove exactly my point. See post 12 above.

and wacky.

Do you want to go into the depth of those statements?

If yes, then please explain your opinion first...

and wacky.

If you think 'Hinduism suffers from a poor image', better think again?

As you write - 'Despite its phenomenal religious and philosophical literature and its accomplishments in the arts and sciences'. Where are you putting your focus? How can you decide for others - 'what is great and beautiful' and 'what is weird and wacky'.

'Hinduism' can never be forced. It can only be understood!

scholar's remark about the priests making their wives wear a bindi to make them look ugly is ridiculous at best. not very scholarly are we? lol.

someone also called it a kum kum. that is an incorrect use of that word. KUNKUMA (kum kum) is the sustance that is applied to make the bindu (dot) also known as sindhur which signifies, for a lady, shaubhagya or wedded bliss. after marriage our ladies wear this symbol of shaubhagya. along with the lac n conch shell bangles and payal (anklets).

the tilaka or urdhva pundra is different than the bindu mark. for vaisnavas for example, we all mark our forheads with the vertical tilaka lines-gaudiya style tilaka is of gopi chandana, and very beautiful.

the shavaites (horizontal and often made of vibhuti) n shaktas have their version.

but the red dot is usually a symbol of the presence of the divine (laksmi).

and G hari this is not only for married women but also for men who have partaken in a religious ceremony and are offered kunkuma on the forehead as the deities prasada.

for scholar, he might want to go thru natya shastra where many of the accoutrements and symbols we use are explained.

hare krsna

manu dasa adhikari

Sanskrit literature is exceedingly vast, profound and life-transforming. But what do Hindus practice and present to the world about their religion, philosophies and traditions? Whatever is

primitive and ugly. Whatever brings ridicule

upon themselves. Then try to justify and defend every stupid superstition and practice.

If you had any idea about yogic reasons for rituals you will know that both posters you are referring 2 are somewhat correct. It may need more explanation, but it's better to keep quite rather than making too much mental generalizations on these very scientific rituals. Those who have never practiced the rituals and intellectualize about our philosphy have done more harm than who blindly follow it. For the general public red dot should be enough as a cultural statement. For those who want to know more practice yoga and rituals. Our customs is not the reason for our downfall - it's lack of idea of the political dharma (aka Rajniti) that's the reason.