Sign in to follow this  
gHari

LE: Folio Conversion Software

Rate this topic

I have had some concerns:

1. Will software work on all Windows systems

2. Will is work with non-Vedabase version; i.e. is it also Balaram font

3. Did it work for you?

I have not tried it out yet. My pc has Windows ME and my laptop has XP so I can test it on both if you like. I am not sure what you mean by non-vedabas version - do you mean my folio disk version?

1. Will software work on all Windows systems

2. Will is work with non-Vedabase version; i.e. is it also Balaram font

3. Did it work for you?

From down on the bayou, no less!

I'm not sure the special characters in the BBT Archives version are identical with the pre-77 original series folio.

I'm also not sure whether it will work without the .dll files from my C compiler, although I think some people did get results, while Puru das no matter how hard he tried never got success.

I hope you weren't offended by the "Ms." thing - it's just that being in a room alone with a Ms is taboo. They may think we were sneaking off to the test area for non-eternal discussions. You know, I forgot you were in a female form when we enjoyed that magic night here together on Lord Nrsimha's appearance day. That was very special for me. When I saw that picture you posted my heart flew, and I melted.

I am sure I downloaded it onto my laptop but I looked and can not find it now. Can you resend it since I don't remember which thread you posted it on and I will be glad to test it on both my computers?

Not sure what Theist has but I think I remember him saying he was putting it on his computer. Has he given you any feedback on it?

I really got into the posts on Lord Nrsimha's appearance day. I was floating!! It was wonderful!!

I made new crowns the next morning for my Lord Nrsimha deities!! I had never made them myself but I felt that I wanted to do something extra special.

No feedback from Theist. I think I may have slighted him and perhaps Gauracandra accidentally. But I love him. When I could not post, he kept saying what I wanted to say, easing my frustration.

Indeed I did feel fortunate to share your devotion to Lord Nrsimhadeva.

Here is the link for the H-K Converter:

http://home.primus.ca/~caitanya/h-k.zip

The instructions are in the readme.txt file.

I located the file on my laptop. I am on my pc right now and will download it here.

I will test drive it either tonight or tomorrow a.m. (hmm..it is already tomorrow a.m.!) and let you know what happens.

What was the problem for Puru das?

I have this really good tape called "Sri Narasimha Stotravali" - Have you heard it? It is very good!!

Coming up - Ratha Yatra!!

Puru just couldn't get anything to happen. I tried maybe a dozen times to explain it. He seemed to be doing it correctly, but with out results. To test just unzip the files into any folder (I use C:\Program Files\Krsna). Then highlight and copy some folio text. Paste that text into Notepad and save it as input.txt in the H-K folder. Then click on the harvard.exe file which should produce some visual feedback. The results are now in a file called output.txt in that H-K folder.

I don't think I've heard that tape. If money ever comes my way again, perhaps I will remember to obtain it.

Yes, Ratha Yatra. That is my day; the day Krsna visits my parish, the parish of the outlanders. I go CRAZY! The real gHari emerges before the world, as the hidden bhakta, Gary completely disregards the foolish opinions of a sick world.

it now but it keeps telling me that it can't find the file. I think I might know what I did wrong and will check it out.

I go nuts on RY also. I am not near a temple or other devotees that I know of and do my own little festivals the best I can. I'll take pics of my little RY festival and post them.

Well, back to the test. I might have to finish it up tomorrow.

I got it to go through all the steps just as you said it should but it did not dicipher the characters correctly. I will try it on my laptop now which is Windows XP and see what happens. I will also think about possible solutions and see if I can try again on my pc.

There was another folio earlier, a DOS folio and it used special characters different from the BBT folio.

This is likely the same thing.

I could produce a special version of the converter but I would need a largish sample of that folio's text, to figure out which character is used to represent the long A, etc.

At least it tried to work. You got some dots on the screen, and it said "FINISHED" or some such feedback.

Here is some BBT text just so you can see that this character set does work on your machine (but I'm pretty sure it will):

Madhya 22.102

çaraëa laïä kare kåñëe ätma-samarpaëa

kåñëa täre kare tat-käle ätma-sama

SYNONYMS

çaraëa laïä—taking shelter; kare—does; kåñëe—unto Kåñëa; ätma-samarpaëa—fully surrendering; kåñëa—Lord Kåñëa; täre—him; kare—makes; tat-käle—immediately; ätma-sama—one of His confidential associates.

TRANSLATION

“When a devotee thus fully surrenders unto Kåñëa’s lotus feet, Kåñëa accepts him as one of His confidential associates.

Thank you very much for your time. It seems that for now, it is not a meaningful solution for you.

gHari

with same results. It goes through all the steps exactly as you describe but the characters do not convert.

I will check it out with the sample text you sent from the BBT text. It really is a very simple program to navigate.

Here is the text from the folio that I tried to convert.

Prabhupda: Hare K”£‹a.

Devotees: Hare K”£‹a.

Prabhupda: Everything all right?

Devotees: Jaya.

Prabhupda: Chant N”si‰ha mantra. (they chant together)

namas te narasi‰hya

prahldhlda-dyine

hira‹yaka¤ipor vak£a„-

¤il-àaka-nakhlaye

ito n”si‰ha„ parato n”si‰ho

yato yato ymi tato n”si‰ha„

bahir n”si‰ho h”daye n”si‰ho

n”si‰ham di‰ ¤ara‹a‰ prapadye

tava kara-kamala-vare nakham adbhuta-¤”ga‰

dalita-hira‹yaka¤ipu-tanu-bh”gam

ke¤ava dh”ta-narahari-rãpa jaya jagad†¤a hare

jaya jagad†¤a hare jaya jagad†¤a hare

N”si‰hadeva may save you. Lord N”si‰ha, prahlda hlda-dyine. And to the Hira‹yaka¤ipu, ¤il-àaka-nakhlaye. Both ways K”£‹a is protecting. And Vi£‹u, you see He has got four hands. In two hands He's carrying ¤a‹kha, cakra and in two hands gad, padma. This ¤akha and padma is for the devotees, and gad and cakra for the demons. K”£‹a says in the Bhagavad-g†t, yad yad hi... paritr‹ya sdhãn‰ vin¤ya ca du£k”tm. He has got two business. To give protection to the devotee and to kill the demons. But the result is one. He does good to the demons by killing him and He does good to the devotees by giving him protection.

N”si‰hadeva will give you protection in my absence. I am now going to Japan to get some books printed personally and after that my program is to go to India. Maybe I shall be able to establish some temples there. Of course in India there are many temples, but it does not mean that I shall not also establish some temples. Just like there is overpopulation. It does not mean that one should not beget child. Similarly, there may be many hundreds of thousand temples in India, still our this society, ISKCON, should have their own temples. That is the way since time immemorial. There are hundreds and thousands of temples. So my advice to you, I am old man. So even I may not return, you shall continue this K”£‹a consciousness movement. This is eternal and I shall request you to keep the standard as I have already given you the program. The Deity worship, the k†rtana, the street sak†rtana, distribution of literature, books. You should carry on this program with great enthusiasm. That is my request.

In the path of K”£‹a consciousness the first principle is enthusiasm. If you lack enthusiasm then other things will not happen. And you can keep enthusiastic if you follow the rules and regulation and chant regularly Hare K”£‹a mantra. Otherwise that enthusiasm also will dry. So six things are required for advancing K”£‹a consciousness. The first thing is enthusiasm. Utshn dhairyt. And patient. And ni¤cayd, with conviction, firm conviction. Utshn dhairyt ni¤cayd tat-tat-karma-pravartant. Following the rules and regulation, chalked out plans. And sato v”tte„, dealing very straightforward. No diplomacy, no politics, no duplicity. That will not help. Sato v”tte„. V”tte„, his profession should be very straightforward. No underhand dealings. Sato v”tte„ and sdhu-saga, and in the association of devotees. Six things. Enthusiasm, patience, firm conviction, following the rules and regulations, dealing straightforward, no duplicity, and in association of devotees. If you can keep these six principles always in front then your progress in K”£‹a consciousness is sure. There is no doubt about it. So as far as possible I've tried to train you and you are doing nice. I'm satisfied. So keep the standard and go on. March forward and K”£‹a will bless you. Thank you very much. Hare K”£‹a. Chant. (break) (prema-dhvan†) (end)

Those pictures will be most welcome.

The assumption was correct, as we can see that "Krsna" displays differently in the two segments we each posted.

If it will save you a lot of effort, I will be happy to produce a special version of the H-K Converter. From you I will just need a large segment from the folio (maybe like 100K zipped to CaitanyaMahaprabhu@REMOVEnospam)

gHari

It takes me forever to go through some of my posts changing the characters so nobody goes crazy trying to read them. It make me crazy!!

I will send the file to you tomorrow - that would be great!!

A friend of mine in India had a little bitty Rath cart made for me several years ago. It is so sweet!! I try to celebrate RY on July 1 each year - this year all my flowers went crazy so I should have plenty.

There are about thirty special characters and some are relatively rare. We need a sample that would include all characters. Surrender and pick a bunch. You can get a hundred pages into a 300K text file which will zip into 100K. You can just send the text file if you want. The more the better.

I am moving this weekend, but I should be able to get it together sometime next week.

The computer will do all the searching for the special characters. I consider supporting your preaching efforts to be serving Srila Prabhupada. It is much more than a pleasure.