IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is eating a egg wrong?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it wrong to eat a egg? The nutrionts were meant for a new born baby, and part of it is still in the egg, isen't it stealing from the baby?

hare Krishna

Only white chocolate eggs are allowed, and then preferably only at Easter. Krsna also likes the white chocolate bunny rabbits; in season, of course.

My former sister-in-law and her husband own a large egg ranch in Southern California. It is a family run business which includes his mother Dee. They are very materially wealthy as a result of their business, yet they would always and I mean always pester my former wife and me why we did not eat eggs. Why our children did not eat eggs, over and over as if their million dollar enterprise was teetering on the edge of disaster because this lone holdout family of Hare Krishnas refused to buy and consume their eggs.

After several Thanksgivings and Christmas family "get togethers" I had finally had enough of the subject. I had finally had enough of my usual gentle, diplomatic answers which never seemed to put the issue to rest.

So When Dee, the mother, launched into her annual "Why don't you guys eat eggs?" speech, I let her have it. In front of her and I would guess about twenty of my in-laws, I said: (Best if read in the voice of Jack Nicholson.)

"Dee, do you want to really know why, we don't eat eggs?

I mean Dee, do you really, really once and for all want to know why we don't eat eggs.......? (The collective attention of the whole gathering now focused on the exchange.)

Because..... they are the menstration of a chicken..... which I do not happen to find, in any way, remotely appealing to eat...... I, for one, am not inclined to eat anyone's or anything's menstration...... especially that of a chicken."

Needless to say the ensuing atmosphere most closely resembled that of a funeral.

My sister-in-law complained to my former wife for some time that their sons, young teenage boys were refusing to eat eggs any more, thanks to the vulgar statement I had made at Thanksgiving.

Guest guest

"Only white chocolate eggs are allowed, and then preferably only at Easter. Krsna also likes the white chocolate bunny rabbits; in season, of course"

sorry for my ignorance but i dont understand what egg are you referring to gHari?

only white chocolate eggs? and Krsna likes the white chocolate bunny rabbits?

could you be a bit more specific please.

Hari Hari

That is a funny story even though I know it was not funny to you. I have had the same problems with my relatives always asking why I don't eat meat. Well its because I don't find feeding on the dead carcasses of animals to be that appealing. They always have a dumbfounded look on their faces like what is wrong with this person. Of course my family looks at Dave Thomas as a legend because they knew him when He was just starting Wendy's fast food chain.

Guest guest

Most of the eggs that are sold commercially are unfertilized and hence there is no baby to steal from. The analogy to a menstral period is a good one since a woman only has one if there is no fertilized ovum implanted in the uteran (sp?) wall.

GHari's point is really that for a devotee the criteria for whether or not something is edible or not is whether or not it has been first offered to Krsna. Devotees only offer foods to Krsna that they know he likes. Of course, Krsna is most interested in devotion and has no need of food - but we do need food and we desperately need Krsna's mercy or prasadam.

Your servant

Audarya-lila dasa

Guest guest

if the egg in the plate is created to bring forth a chicken (does not matter if it unfurtilized), then it is better to not cook or eat it.

milk is a product for nourishment,

where as egg is a product for bringi life intothe world.

jai sri krishna!

I may have inadvertently portrayed the situation as one of frustration on my part. On the contrary because of societal concerns I had remained on many occasions far more reserved than my nature generally calls for. After my retort I must confess I felt like I had clubbed a midget but that didn't prevent me from having a hearty laugh driving away from their house.

I am running out of different ways to explain why I just can't pick out the bacon bits from the green beans! How many ways can you explain that chicken and fish are not vegetarian foods?

I have been told by well meaning family members that I would:

1. Die if I did not eat flesh

2. Go mentally insane if I did not eat flesh

They don't bug me about eggs - fortunately I was allergic to them as a kid and have always hated them!

Over fifty percent of the world is vegetarian either out of ethical concern or out and out shortage. Oddly enough some parts of the world haven't been able to create and maintain the animal concentration camps which support the endless stream of slaughter currently known as Western culture.

And if they try to argue that animals are unfeeling automatons placed here by God for our exploitation, propose that you can test their theory by punting their beloved cats across the street. (Disclaimer: No cats were actually harmed in this hypothetical. I have inherited two cats who eat vegan cat chow. They are my little friends on their way to human birth.)

You were told that you:

>1. Die if I did not eat flesh

>2. Go mentally insane if I did not eat flesh

you can say:

1. I know people who die from eating eggs

2. It is a known fact that mentally insane people think that they are the only sane... and everyone else is mad.

well if it is your relatives I wouldn;t be that harsh.

Just tell them I'm not eating human or animal flesh as my principle.

Or just say I have allergy from eggs, if you want to not to go into religious discussion....

There is this subtle dynamic around all this also. Parents, especially the mother, have been providing food for the child since day one. It is most often an expression of love. From mama's breast to your first eatting some solid food they have been sentimentally involved. Nurture-nutrition-food the connection is easy to make.

Add to that the ritualistic dimension of family unity centering around the table, what with the major holiday's centering around a feast of somekind where the whole family comes to partake together, and we get a glimpse of the emotionalism that accompanies dinner time.

I suspect that when we suddenly reject some of that offering it is taken as a personal rejection from the emotional side of our parents. It may feel like we are rejecting them.

If true then for them to be expected to just accept our position intellectualy may be asking more than we realize. It may not be easy for them.

Of course we are rejecting this whole trip of false identifications and artifical lifestyle that the material condition offers. But perhaps we can offer some more understanding to them, and assurances, as we maintain our principled stance on not eating meat etc.

At this point if you are a person endeavoring for spiritual improvement in the Western world I don't see how you can be anything but sarcastic. Maybe Krishna is punishing me by putting me into a world where when I am serious people think I am joking and when I am joking people think I am serious. If it is punishment I have to say it has become so comical that I am rather enjoying it at this point. You know there has to be something animating the body of an animal but try telling that to any Westerner, even a so called religous Westerner and they are most of the time going to laugh at you.

I don't need to watch horror movies at all because I haven't found one that is near as frightening as watching the endless armies of meat-eaters here in America.

Guest guest

Eating eggs is very wrong whereas laying eggs is just plain weird unless you are a hen.

http://www.cok.net/

Generally, chickens in egg-farms are kept in deplorable conditions. One can argue that the consumer of the products of egg-farms bear some share of the responsibility for this. Vaishnavas have always told me that eggs are not offerable. However, if a person who is not a Vaishnava AND who procures his egg products from humane egg-farms AND has no squeamishness about eating 'the menstrual product of a chicken' - What is the moral argument for them?

Gitananda / GitaDharma/

If moral reasons are not enough - then here are some health reasons...sometimes this is the way to initially get through to some people...

Eggs cause Heart Trouble, High Blood Pressure Etc.

Even if we had the best of eggs we would be better off without them, as they are too high in cholesterol. They are one of the important causes in diseases of the heart, arteries, brain, kidney, gallstones etc. While fruits and vegetables and vegetable oils have none or hardly any cholesterol.

---Dr. Catherine, Oceano, California (U.S.A.) – How healthy are eggs, P 7

Eggs cause Corrosion of Blood Vessels:

Eggs are also harmful. You may say that eggand I get along well, but a chemical analysis proves differently. The yoke of eggs contain cholesterol, a waxy alcohol that deposits in the liver and blood vessels producing corrosion, hardening of the arteries.

----Dr.J.Wilkins (England), How healthy are eggs, P 6-7

Eggs cause Skin Diseases & Paralysis

The Egg white is the more harmful portion of the egg. Animals fed on fresh egg white developed severe skin inflammation and paralysis.

----Dr. Robert Gross ( England ), How healthy are eggs, P 3-4

The factor in egg white that causes eczema is AVIDIN.

----Dr.J.Wilkins (England), How healthy are eggs, P 4

Eggs cause T.B. and White Diarrhea

Chicken diseases are numerous. Eggs may carry T.B. from chickens. If an infected chicken survives it matures and lays infectious eggs. Chickens leukemia may be transmitted through the eggs. Hens infected with white diarrhea will lay eggs containing the germs, which usually consists in the collitic symptom complexes in human beings.

----Dr. Robert Gross (England), How healthy are eggs, P 1

Eggs contain Phosphoric acid

Eggs are acid forming and they have excess of Nitrogen fat and phosphoric acid, and can not therefore form the natural diet of man.

----Dr. Govind Raj, How healthy are eggs, P 8

Eggs do not suit Human Digestion

Both the bile and pancreatic juices are indifferent to egg white, Nearly 33 to 50% of the egg white passes through the digestive tract undigested.

----Prof. Okada (England), How healthy are eggs, P 3