IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pritesh01

"EGG" vegitarien?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pritesh, some people have very strange ideas about what is vegetarian. Some people who eat eggs think they are vegetarian. Some people who eat fish think they're vegetarian. Even some people who eat chicken think they are vegetarian. What can I say, it's a strange world. Vaishnavas, of course, do not eat meat, fish or eggs.

Here is a list of terms that people use. The "semi-vegetarian one really blows my mind.

Defining Vegetarianism

While vegetarians share the practice of eating a plant-based diet, the vegetarian diet varies from only eating plant-based foods to including dairy products, eggs, poultry, and fish. The types of vegetarian diets are listed below:

Semi-vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes some animal products such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, milk, and other dairy products.

Pesco-vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes dairy products, eggs, and fish. Pesco-vegetarian does not eat beef, pork, or poultry.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes milk, dairy products, and eggs.

Ovo-vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes only eggs.

Vegan: Plant-based diet that excludes all animal products, including eggs, milk, dairy products, and foods that include animal byproducts. Vegan diets include grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and fruit. Some vegans will opt to avoid all animal products including leather or wool clothing/accessories, cosmetics and other household products that contain animal byproducts or are tested on animals.*

Macrobiotic: Plan-based diet where food choices are based on a dietary philosophy that emphasizes intake of seasonal foods that are produced locally. For most North Americans, the diet is predominately whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and some fish. The diet is linked to ancient Chinese principles of yin and yang and follows a specific lifestyle that is in harmony with nature and the universe.

Fruitarian: Diet that includes only fruits, vegetables that are botanically fruits (tomatoes, eggplant, avocado, zucchini), nuts, honey, and olive oil.

*Many vegans also come to forego honey as well. It is excreted through the bees body as a by product and it is also cruel to the bees.

Semi-vegetarian - give me a break!! That matches up as well as Saddam and human rights!! Isn't that an oxymoron or just plain moronic? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Almost as funny is Pesco-vegetarian (sounds like it should be some sort of gourmet-vegetarian but... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Semi-vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes some animal products such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, milk, and other dairy products.

Pesco-vegetarian: Plant-based diet that includes dairy products, eggs, and fish. Pesco-vegetarian does not eat beef, pork, or poultry.

The semi's and the pesco's are really in lala land. Put spme peas on your plate next to the steak and its a veggie meal.

What next in kali-yug? Vegetarians defined as someone that doesn't eat human flesh?

I try very hard to follow the scriptures when choosing my diet and thus this includes therefore, not eating eggs....but I do struggle in explaining why the scriptures prescribe this. Can anyone help?!

Guest guest

The way i see it is that egg is a product of life therefroe it must not be consumed

Guest guest

look,

im 14 years old and im a Pesco, i think its impossible to get a 14 yr old developing teen girl to give up every type of meat Cold Turkey! Please dont make fun of those who choose to consume some fish, because at least we have the strength to give up other animals! if you want to discuse this with me i encourage you to email me at.. imagine_2132@hotmail.com............ title .."Pesco"

thankz!!! and stay healthy!

-carolyn

<font color="blue">Hare Krishna </font color>

Eggs they smell foul, Gods knows what they must taste like, they have this yellow snot inside them /images/graemlins/grin.gif, and this white liquid which makes you puke /images/graemlins/mad.gif, that actually sounds like a peom, well done me /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If any Eggs were offended please forgive me /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Guest guest

Hi Carolyn,

My daughter is also 14. She grew up vegetarian so for her it is no issue. Congradulations on your positive dietary choices. No problem going the gradual route. The main thing is to try to be progressive in your life and each day become a little more conscious of what it is your doing and why your doing it. What is meaningful for you today will change. We are all students forever. Don’t sweat the fact that some people find the vegetarian label misplaced next to other words such as pesco.

BTW, my family was not vegetarian and I also chose to become vegetarian as a teen (I was a little older than you – about 16). When I first changed my diet I included eggs in it and only later changed that. But really any progress in life is good. Some people become vegetarian for some time and later revert back to meat eating. We shouldn’t sit in judgement over anyone and realize that we have our own faults and short-comings. When I became a vegetarian I gave up meat and fish immediately and never had a problem with it. Just make sure that you are eating a balanced diet and that you take good vitamins as you learn to adjust your eating habits.

Your servant,

Audarya-lila dasa

Hare Krishna Prabhuji

I find that giving up eating different foods is very difficult, for the tongue is hard to control, but since I have been eating Krishna Prasadam, it is more easier for me to eat less Karmic food, like crisps, chocolates, tea.

I suggest people to get into the 'practice' of eating Krishna Prasadam, and slowly give up bad eating habits, it will take time, but the foods which you love will become distasteful to you, I even despise onions and garlic now!

Haribol /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

And milk and ghee are vegetarian? Last I looked, cows don't give or produce milk voluntarily for human consumption. Also, how about cow proteins inside the milk?

My dear guest,

The idea of vegetarianism is to not harm any living entity when consuming from nature.

Why?= partly because we want to decrease our attachments, and mostly because all living entities belong to krishna and they deserve to live their life.

I know how Ghee is made, first the milk is churned and then butter is taken out which is then transformed into ghee through storage or something...

Ghee is not extracted from a dead cow nor is it some cow lung or liver or something else.

Cow proteins in milk are natural. Cow is not killed to get them and sorry to say this but I sense huge amount of ignorance from you on the issues of how cows' milk is gotten.

Cow does not get hurt when you extract milk from it unless you hurt it on purpose...

Entonces, la leche de "cow" esta buena para beber!

For some the idea that cow's milk is a transformation of cow's milk is revolting. That also bring's up the question of human milk.

Others don't like the thought that honey runs through an insects body. I am disturbed by the way honey is harvested. I used to use bee pollen until I started noticing many bee legs were also in the pollen. From screens left by humans to scraped the pollen off the bees legs s they went back in the hive i think.

Silk is also nasty business.

But for me if we can all agree the unnecessary animal slaughter must stop then I'm happy to tolerate other differences and preferences.

Guest guest

how could you say? that its not hurt? It is hurting to see people for their own benefit drink the milk which is for the calf!

<< It is hurting to see people for their own benefit drink the milk which is for the calf! >>

As long as calf is getting its share of milk, there is nothing sinful. you never know if calves got their share as long as you buy milk from the store. If you go to places in rural India or even at some places in cities, you can go to farm houses and the milkman extracts milk in front of you. You will get to see the cows, calves all happily grazing unlike other commercial plants where extracting milk from cows is mechanized.

Very diferent from the West. Here they separate the male calves away from the mother and put them in small crates, so small they cannot move. That keeps their meat tender. They then slaughter the calves for veal to satisfy the demons taste.

I can't support this in anyway. If others can that's up to them just don't preach to me about cow protection.

Guest guest

i kill cows for a living, i dont see whats wrong with it

BHAGAVAD GITA AS IT IS

CHAPTER 14, TEXT 16

TEXT

karmanah sukrtasyahuh

sattvikam nirmalam phalam

rajasas tu phalam duhkham

ajnanam tamasah phalam

SYNONYMS

karmanah--of work; su-krtasya--in the mode of goodness; ahuh--said; sattvikam--mode of goodness; nirmalam--purified; phalam--result; rajasah--of the mode of passion; tu--but; phalam--result; duhkham--misery; ajnanam--nonsense; tamasah--of the mode of ignorance; phalam--result.

TRANSLATION

By acting in the mode of goodness, one becomes purified. Works done in the mode of passion result in distress, and actions performed in the mode of ignorance result in foolishness.

PURPORT

By pious activities in the mode of goodness one is purified; therefore the sages, who are free from all illusion, are situated in happiness. Similarly, activities in the mode of passion are simply miserable. Any activity for material happiness is bound to be defeated. If, for example, one wants to have a skyscraper, so much human misery has to be undergone before a big skyscraper can be built. The financier has to take much trouble to earn a mass of wealth, and those who are slaving to construct the building have to render physical toil. The miseries are there. Thus Bhagavad-gita says that in any activity performed under the spell of the mode of passion, there is definitely great misery. There may be a little so-called mental happiness--"I have this house or this money"--but this is not actual happiness.

As far as the mode of ignorance is concerned, the performer is without knowledge, and therefore all his activities result in present misery, and afterwards he will go on toward animal life. Animal life is always miserable, although, under the spell of the illusory energy, maya, the animals do not understand this. Slaughtering poor animals is also due to the mode of ignorance. The animal killers do not know that in the future the animal will have a body suitable to kill them. That is the law of nature. In human society, if one kills a man he has to be hanged. That is the law of the state. Because of ignorance, people do not perceive that there is a complete state controlled by the Supreme Lord. Every living creature is a son of the Supreme Lord, and He does not tolerate even an ant's being killed. One has to pay for it. So, indulgence in animal killing for the taste of the tongue is the grossest kind of ignorance. A human being has no need to kill animals because God has supplied so many nice things. If one indulges in meat-eating anyway, it is to be understood that he is acting in ignorance and is making his future very dark. Of all kinds of animal killing, the killing of cows is most vicious because the cow gives us all kinds of pleasure by supplying milk. Cow slaughter is an act of the grossest type of ignorance. In the Vedic literature the words gobhih prinita-matsaram indicate that one who, being fully satisfied by milk, is desirous of killing the cow, is in the grossest ignorance. There is also a prayer in the Vedic literature that states:

namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca

jagad-dhitaya krsnaya govindaya namo namah

"My Lord, You are the well-wisher of the cows and the brahmanas, and You are the well-wisher of the entire human society and world." The purport is that special mention is given in that prayer for the protection of the cows and the brahmanas. Brahmanas are the symbol of spiritual education, and cows are the symbol of the most valuable food; these two living creatures, the brahmanas and the cows, must be given all protection--that is real advancement of civilization. In modern human society, spiritual knowledge is neglected, and cow killing is encouraged. It is to be understood, then, that human society is advancing in the wrong direction and is clearing the path to its own condemnation. A civilization which guides the citizens to become animals in their next lives is certainly not a human civilization. The present human civilization is, of course, grossly misled by the modes of passion and ignorance. It is a very dangerous age, and all nations should take care to provide the easiest process, Krsna consciousness, to save humanity from the greatest danger.

(Translations and Purports by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

YS, Forrest

Guest guest

As Vaishnavas, we are not simply 'Vegetarians', we are

'Krishnatarians'; ie, we offer and eat what Lord Krishna eats.

I see nothing wrong with you doing what you have to do to get by. I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years. I am what some have called an ovo lacto vegetarian. I eat plants and dairy products and I eat cooked chicken eggs.

My only concern for you is that by killing cattle you might get desensatized to the act of killing. This could make it easier for you to kill a human. I do not care about the cattle, I care about the effect of killing cattle has on a human.

It is difficult in the USA to try and be animal product free. There is lard and tallow used in some foods and there is leather used in all kinds of clothing and equipment. I have tryed to go to cloth belts and man made materials for shoes. Many folks make their living by the slaughter of cattle and it would not be good for everyone to just suddenly stop and not use the products. I doubt that will happen though.

I do find it disturbing that someone seeking spirtual enlightenment would think they are better than someone else due to a few choices in their lives. It might take a person a lifetime to change or they may never change. That does not make them a bad person nor you a better person for being different.

Acceptance, compassion, understanding. Repeat as needed, /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

dzimmerm

Guest guest

I have been a vegetarian for 29 years--since age 15. But I think it's an unfair to connect killing cows with killing humans...