Hare Krishna,

http://www.intratext.com/IXT/SAN0010/_PRT.HTM

------------

Rig Veda: 10:136:7

vAyurasmA upAmanthat pinaSTi smA kunannamA

keshIviSasya pAtreNa yad rudreNApibat saha

http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0039/_PRB.HTM

Vayu hath churned for him: for him he poundeth things most hard to bend,

When he with long loose locks hath drunk, with Rudra, water from the cup.

------------

Although we read in Bhagavatam that only Lord Siva drank the poison from the ocean, here in Rig-Veda we see that Lord Vayu drank poison along with Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva is simply mentioned as a secondary participant.

Any thoughts on this.

Also we see that Lord Vayu churns and pounds the poison that was so hard, and gave it to Lord Shiva.

Guest guest

nice to know this.

rudrANam shankrah cha asmi

says krishna in gita.

bhagavatam does not say "only siva drank the poison."

althought it does not say if any one else did.

so if vayu did, good.

in current times, the nuclear waste is equivalent to this poison. no one wants it and no one wants to dump it in their country, but everyone wants nuclear energy.

(china dumpts it in tibet)

we need shiva and vayu to store this waste.

else better not produce waste.

Hare Krishna,

To the Vedas, Rudra(Shiva) was always secondary and got a lowly place, lower than the wind and the earth, fire and the aswins.

This is interesting. Can you quote some verses to support your contention.

My dear vaisnava,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!!

In the Srimad Bhagavatam, third canto(I think), where the churning of the milk ocean is discussed there are very nice verses desribing Lord Siva's drinking of the poison.

In the purport Srila Prabhupada explains the greatness of Lord Siva. Lord Siva is considered the greatest VAISNAVA. He agreed to drink the poison because, as a vaisnava, he felt compassion for the suffering the poison was causing to all living entities. One of a vaisnavas greatest qualities is compassion and Lord Siva demonstrates this quality by drinking the poison.

Sorry I don't have the exact verses right now. I'll get them and post them.

Hope this helps. Hari Bol!!

Your servant,

Narayani d.d.

My dear vaisnavas,

As promised here are the Bhagavatam verses describing Lord Siva.

Eighth canto (I was way off) ch.7 texts 36-44

text: Srila Sukadeva goswami continued: Lord Siva is always benevolent toward all living entities. When he saw that the living entities were very much disturbed by the poison, which was spreading everywhere, he was very compassionate. Thus he spoke to his eternal consort, Sati, as follows.

text 37: Lord Siva said: My dear Bhavani, just see how all these living entities have been placed in danger because of the poison produced from the churning of the ocean of milk.

text 38: It is my duty to give protection and safety to all living entities struggling for existence. Certainly it is the duty of the master to protect his suffering dependents.

text 39: People in general, being bewildered by the illusory energy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, are always engaged in animosity toward one another. But devotees, even at the risk of their own temporary lives, try to save them.

Purport by Prabhupada: This is the characteristic of a vaisnava. Para-dhukha-dhukhi: a vaisnava is always unhappy to see the conditioned souls unhappy. Otherwise he would have no business teaching them how to become happy...There are four vaisnava sampradayas, and the Rudra-sampradaya is one of them because Lord Siva (Rudra) is the best of the vaisnavas (vaisnavanam yatha sambhuh). Indeed, as we shall see, Lord Siva drank all the poison for the benefit of humanity.

text 40: My dear gentle wife Bhavani, when one performs benevolent activities for others, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, is very pleased. And when the Lord is pleased, I am also pleased, along with all other living creatures. Therefore, let me drink this poison, for all the living entities may thus become happy because of me.

text 41: Srila Sukadeva gosvami continued: After informing Bhavani in this way, Lord Siva began to drink the poison, and Bhavani, who knew perfectly well the capabilities of Lord Siva, gave hi her permission to do so.

text 42: Thereafter, Lord Siva, who is dedicated to auspicious, benevolent work for humanity, compassionately took the whole quantity of poison in his palm and drank it.

text 43: As if in defamation, the poison born from the ocean of milk manifested its potency by marking Lord Siva's neck with a bluish line. That line, however, is now accepted as an ornament of the Lord.

text 44: It is said that great personalities almost always accept voluntary suffering because of the suffering of people in general. This is considered the highest method of worshiping the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is present in everyone's heart.

YS,

Narayani d.d.

Guest guest

Lord Shiva is the greatest vaisnvava. He chants on beads. He coudnt be chanting his own name now is he????

Lets respect lord shiva anyway.

Hare krsna