IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
anveshan

Rama & Ravana

Rate this topic

Rama was a great North Indian king. No doubt about that. He came from Ayodhya in those days of no means of transportation, reached upto Lanka and defeated a great king, renowned for his valor,might and bhakti.

When her (cousin) sister's beautiful breasts and cute nose were cut into pieces by an indifferent and angry Lakshman.

The sister complains to his imperial majesty, Shri. Ravan.

Injustice and insult was done to a lady, princess Surpanakha. As a brother and as a just King, Ravan wanted to teach the Rama brothers a lesson. Sita was forcibly taken away, but not raped or force-married. She was given a place, with maids appointed to look after.

The generous Ravana even blessed his enemy No. to construct a bridge, knowing well that it is to his peril.

The Maryada Purushottam killed another mighty one, Bali,

by shooting an arrow, hiding behind a tree.

The Purushottam sent a fully pregnant Sita into the forest

( He did not even arrange for some maids or helpers for her) because he did'nt have the courage to face the public.

And all he looked for was to protect his "maryada" reputation.

Still, the great poet made his Hero a hero. And Ravana a villain.

After all, avatars are avatars...

Rama was a great North Indian king. No doubt about that.

Actually Ramachandra was parama-purusha bhagavan Himself, the absoute truth, cause of all causes. As Krishna says in the Gita:

avajananti mam mudha

manushim tanum ashritam

param bhavam ajananto

mama bhuta-maheshvaram

"Fools deride Me when I descend in the human form. They do not know My transcendental nature and My supreme dominion over all that be."

It is not possible to understand the science of the Lord's incarnations without proper guidance of a tattva-darshi, or realized saint. Only the saints can allow us to see God as He is, without the covering of our misconceptions:

ajnana-timirandhasya

jnananjana-shalakaya

cakshur unmilitam yena

tasmai shri-gurave namah

The spiritual master opens our eyes, which are blinded by the darkness of ignorance.

He came from Ayodhya in those days of no means of transportation, reached upto Lanka and defeated a great king, renowned for his valor,might and bhakti.

1) If we accept the statements of the Ramayana, they had plenty of methods of transportation, including the Pushpaka Vimana which would fly through the sky.

2) Ravana was not renowned for his bhakti, as bhakti has a particular definition that is not applicable to him:

sarvopadhi vinirmuktam

tat-paratvena nirmalam

hrishikena hrishikesha

sevanam bhaktir ucyate.

"Being free from all material designations, if one engages all of the senses in the service of the master of the senses, Krishna, it is called bhakti."

anyabhilashita-shunyam

jnana karmadi anavrtam

anukhulyena krishnanu-

silanam bhaktir-uttama

"The cultivation of activities which are meant exclusively for the pleasure of Sri Krishna, which is not covered by mental speculation, and which is devoid of all desires other than the aspiration to bring happiness to Sri Krishna is called uttama-bhakti, pure devotional service."

Ravana envied the supreme Lord, so much so that he wanted to kidnap Bhagavan's wife for his own enjoyment. Bhakti by definition is only applicable to Bhagavan (hrishikena hrishikesha sevanam bhaktir ucyate). By serving Hrishikesha, Bhagavan Sri Krishna, one may perform bhakti. Ravana's worship of other deities was only for fullfiling his material desires.

When her (cousin) sister's beautiful breasts and cute nose were cut into pieces by an indifferent and angry Lakshman.

This was performed after Suparnakha was going to kill Sita Devi.

The sister complains to his imperial majesty, Shri. Ravan. Injustice and insult was done to a lady, princess Surpanakha.

It was perfect justice.

"In order to remove her rival the rakshasi [suparnakha] jumped to attack Sita and devour her. Rama, realizing the danger, asked Lakshmana to check the demoness and punish her. Lakshmana thereupon cut off the nose and ears of Surpanakha."

As a brother and as a just King, Ravan wanted to teach the Rama brothers a lesson. Sita was forcibly taken away, but not raped or force-married. She was given a place, with maids appointed to look after.

According to Ramayana Ravana had kidnapped wives from every species of life. He had even kidnapped Agni Deva's wife Swaha. Ravana had ordered Sita Devi to be killed if she refused to become his wife. The only reason he did not try to force her was because he knew he would instantly die due to her vows of chastity.

Still, the great poet made his Hero a hero. And Ravana a villain.

Ravana and his followers killed and ate Rishis in the forest. It was for this reason that Bhagavan Ramachandra incarnated to destroy this miscreant. The kidnapping of Sita was just an excuse to bring about the end of Ravana and his followers.

It would do you well to read the Ramayana once before commenting on it.

Revered Shri Das,

First of all, whatever I say is with malice toward none. I have neither any disrespect or respect to some of the philosophies or beliefs you hold so dear to your heart. And you have every right to criticise whatever I believe. And if I am convinced, I will correct myself and say so.

Actually you are right when you quoted Shri Bhagwan himself:

"ajnana-timirandhasya". As for my being ignorant, I do accept that.

So let us believe that Rama was the Ultimate Reality himself, Ravana was a wicked Narabhoji who lived on rishies and munies.

But you said:

======================================================

"It would do you well to read the Ramayana once before commenting on it."

=======================================================

Here I may state that by age of 9, the entire Sundara Kandam of the great Ramanujan Ezhutthachhan was by heart to me.

And I am genetically a Vaishnava, a great one at that! My grand father happened to be Vishnu, father Narayana and myself Srihari! But I think now that some genetic mutation did occur during or after my birth. Hence my prakruti has changed.

Here I tell you all the (real) story of my wife. She visits every temple and prays. To the famous(and ancient) Bhairava temple she goes with a bottle of rum(because the army rationed rum she gets cheaper than the whisky and the lord will not get a hang over as army quality is certified). And brings back the ' prasad' in a bottle. Varanasi or Vaishnodevi, Manasa Devi, Chamundeswari or Kamakhya.. Everywhere she goes with equal zeal. If she comes across a banyan tree she will give it a pious salute, she prays to the great tulasi plant at least two times a day. She visits the famous Hare Krishna temple at Kailas(Delhi), says Hare Rama Hare Krishna, to the Sai twins - Sirdi and Puttapparthi- and chants "Jai jagdeesha hare, Om Saisha Hare"

And if you place an idol of a frog in front of her and you,

being a swami, tells her that this is one of the avataras of the great lord, she will sing, innocently, " Jaya Mandookesha Hare"

At times I used to laugh at her. But ultimately, she is right, I think. IT is everywhere.

Regards

Guest guest

Dear Shri Ram,

In this regard, a great mis happening occured. My time, date and nakshatra and all was dutifully noted by parents or grand parents. But all was according to the local(South Indian) Calender. Later, when I joined school, it was 'converted'into English. Which version is technically correct, I do not know. By the local version the sum total is five and the angala version it is six. Which one I should follow?

The anveshanam continues...!

anveshanam, i would think it is 6 numerologically as most numerological software/calculations use this calendar. this also seemed to match my estimate. but if you have a well laid out horscope that should be used for serious predictions.

does your current door number add to 5, a number like 113 ? of course, if you have letters like B in your door number it is all the more complicated for you to convert it to its numerlogical equivalent.

Guest guest

Krishna Avatar was after Rama avatar....how would Ravana know the definitions og "Bhakti" as prescribed by Krishna?

hehehe

Guest guest

krsna is eternal (exactly like ramachandra).. he comes periodically in this world

also love for rama is bhakti

Agasthya was living in the midst of the sages in the forest of Dandakaranya. He was running a Gurukula (a residential institution to which students who sought education joined) and was the teacher of a large number of students.

Shri Rama, the Prince of Ayodhya, had to spend fourteen years in the forest. (The story of Shri Rama is narrated in the great epic, the Ramayana.)

He came to Dandakaranya with his wife Seetha and his brother Lakshmana. The sages welcomed them with greataffection. Shri Rama, Seetha and Lakshmana came to the hermitage of Agasthya. Because of his spiritual powers, Agasthya had known for a long time that Shri Rama would visit him. Agasthya looked after the guests well. He gave Rama a mighty bow known as the Vaishnava Dhanus and a quiver known as Akshaya Thuneera. This was a quiver known as Akshaya Thuneera. This was a quiver, which would always be full of arrows. He also bestowed on him a number of weapons of rare power. According to his advice Rama and Lakshmana built a ‘Parnakuti’ (a hut) on the banks of the river Godavari and went to live there.

Later, in the war between Rama and Ravana, Agasthya was among the many sages who assembled to watch the mightly battle. Ravana, too, was a great warrior. Shri Ramachndra was worried. He did not know how to kill Ravana. Then Agasthya came forward and taught him the most sacred mantra known as the ‘Adithya Hridaya’. It was addressed to the Sun God. By chanting it three times Rama got the strength to kill Ravana. Then peace and happiness reigned on earth.

After returning to Ayodhya Shri Rama chandra became the king. He had killed Ravana and brought relief to a troubled world; but his mind was not at peace. He was worried. At this time with Agasthya as the leader, a group of sages came to see Shri Rama. Agasthya understood the cause of Rama's unhappiness. Rama had killed Ravana, the great grandson of Brahma, the Creator, and so his mind was clouded. As a remedy, Agasthya advised

Rama to perform the Ashvamedha Sacrifice.

Hare Krishna,

Barney, I do not know where you got this twisted story. May be from your advaita gurus.

There is also information in itihaasas and puranas that Jaya and Vijaya took birth as Ravana and Kumbakarna because of a curse from rishis. They had two other births earlier. In each birth they caused great suffering to the rishis and to the Devas. Devas prayed to Lord Vishnu to end their sufferings and Lord Vishnu took avatar as Lord Rama along with Adi Sesha as Lakshmana. It is ridiculous and Tamasic to say that Bhagavan was clouded in his mind. If anyone is clouded it is ignorant advaitis who write blasphemous posts here.

By the way read what Sri Raghvendra Swamy has written. He clearly says that Lord Rama is the Supreme Lord HIMSELF. I am saying this because in one of your posts you praised Sro Raghavendra Swamy. If that is a true feeling you have then you should also believe what he taught.