IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
muralidhar

Celibacy is a growing trend

Rate this topic

Sydney Morning Herald, November 8 2002

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/07/1036308427650.html

Whether for religious or secular reasons, in a world awash with sex, celibacy is a growing trend.

A Love Brother born again

Jason Stevens, the Cronulla Sharks rugby league player, gained a lot of publicity when he announced he had given up sex and had dedicated himself to chastity until his wedding day.

He is one of the True Love Waits pin-up boys, his story an example to the 12,000 young Australians who have joined the organisation since 1995 with its philosophy of embracing public celibacy as a lifestyle choice.

In a world where footballers tend to be given bad boy roles, Stevens developed a latent pure streak. He wrote a book, Worth the Wait, to assist others on the rocky road to abstinence. Stevens lost his virginity so long ago that he cannot remember where. On the True Love Waits website, Stevens, 29, says that until three years ago he was living in the fast lane. "I was at a point where I literally couldn't stop flirting with loads of girls, then going to bed with them."

Stevens and his brother Paul, a former Shark, were notorious playboys. "It was so bad that my brother and I were nicknamed The Love Brothers," he says.

But his older brother says he was going to hand his life over to Christ - and that meant waiting until marriage. Stevens followed his brother's example.

"It was weird at first. To be totally honest with you, I really struggled. Sex had really consumed my life and I found it hard to adjust," he says on the website.

"When you have sex with all these different girls, you can send back all the photos and you can send back the ring when you've broken up. But you can't send back the memories that are fixed in your mind. Those memories take away from your next relationship.

"Basically, what I'm saying is, I want to respect my future wife. I don't know her yet and I haven't met her. But I am going to save myself for her."

I heard a lot of teenage youngsters in US have taken up Celibacy Practise and saving themselves for marriage.

It's a growing trend now, just like Sex was a growing trend back in 1980s before AIDS come around.