IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Valmiki Ramayana verses - help

Rate this topic

Posted by Karthik_v:

Can some body kindly transliterate the following verses from Valmiki Ramayana?

Aranya kanda: 7:15-22 & 43:11-18

Kishkinda kanda: 17:36-40

Ayodhya kanda: 51:67-68, 84:10, 103:29-30

Could you kindly also provide a word by word translation? I am having my copy of Gita press Ramayana with me now, so any help is appreciated.

soaham grihItvA niyamam tapasvijanabhUsaNam

hitakAmah piturbhUyah sItAyA laxmaNasya ca (Ayodhyakand: 51.67)

so = therefore

aham = I

grhItvA = after adopting

niyamam = discipline

tapasvijanabhUsaNam = ornaments fit for sages

hitakAmah = desiring the welfare

pitur = of father

bhUyah = concurrence

sItAyA = of Sita

laxmaNasya = of Laxman

ca = and

jatAh krtvA gamisyAmi nyagrodhaxIramAnaya

tatxIram rAjaputrAya guhah xiprabhupAharat (Ayodhyakand: 51.68)

jatAh = matted hair

krtvA = after making

gamisyAmi = will go

niagra = ahead

udhaxIram = milk like exudation of a tree

Anaya = bring

tat = that

xIram = milk like food

rAjputrAya = for the Prince

guhah = Guha

xipram = milk like exudation

upAharat = brought

After adopting the discipline that serves as ornament for sages, for the welfare of My father, with the concurrence of Sita and Laxman, and making matted hair, I will go ahead. Bring the milk like exudation of tree for me. Guha brought that exudation for the Prince.

Shawnuff. Vedik Verses or SanskRt Forum feed indubitably.

Majority obsession with first forum listed's use reminds us of...

It's like that Eddie Cantor song:

How ya gonna keep'em down on the farm after they've seen Broadway?

Which is yet another reason y we chant at Timessquare.

But really, am I right or wrong?

Doesn't this thread belong on either of the above mentioned Forums?

Or it's like all the people move to the city, abandoning villages.

Y? Human Nature?

Actually village life is far superior. Specially the night life.

Oh! Excuse me! My mistake. This thread was moved.

I looked directly at most active topics first, so I didn't see which Forum, I only saw that my post had been deleted.

I immediately mentally took offense.

So much for my level of patience, tolerance & understanding.

As for village nightlife's superiority, it's so much better than city nightlife that ZrI RAmchandra BhagavAn had to reappear at Dvapara-yuga's end as ZKB...

just to prove it.

Guest guest

http://www.bhagwanvalmiki.com

Virender Singh Gill

566,basti bawa khel, kapurthala road, jalandhar city (Punjab) INDIA

Ph. : +91-181-2207111, 2651215

E-mail : viren200179@hotmail.com

HE GAVE US THE LIGHT OF EDUCATION AND WE ARE STILL IN DARK" Bhagwan Valmiki, who being the pioneer of classic Sanskrit literature has made a great contribution to Indian Society. It is a matter of great regret that we are in dark about this poet

Guest guest

may I know - are you Kartik who took some 'critic' headlong in some other discussion forum reg. Ramayana - dhrao

Guest guest

Did u do this trans. on ur own or have seen some available book - I wish u to see valmikiramayan.net - pic below and interact with us - I am one from that trans team - dhrao

There are many people who are very fluent in Sanskrit. I accept that I can not talk in Sanskrit fluently. I mean I can talk but I will be slow. I am not as fluent in this language as in Hindi and English. But, I have studied Sanskrit. Now also, I keep studying this language. If somebody asks me to translate some sentence in Sanskrit into English, then sometimes I can translate without using any paper and pen, but sometimes I am not able to. But if I use paper and pen, then I am able to translate.

I wrote down these Valmiki Ramayana verses on paper. Then, I used whatever little knowledge of Sanskrit vocabulary and Sanskrit grammar I have to translate these into English.

But, as I have said, I am not very good at Sanskrit. So, it is possible that I do some mistake in translations unintentionally.

Guest guest

Not that Avinash - if u have a translated version I wanted to obtain that book for our work - not to weigh ur work - and because there are little variations in what u did - I asked like that - by the r u interested and following our translation ar ramayan.net - hope u be in touch - dhrao

I am very regularly following your web-site. It is very good that translations of scriptures can be saved in electronic format.

I have one question. Which publication are you using for getting the Sanskrit verses of Valmiki Ramayan? I am asking this because, as I have noticed, all publications that claim to publish authentic Valmiki Ramayan do not have exactly the same verses.

Guest guest

Hello Avinash - we are using the e-text of Prof. Tokunaga of Japan as main source but crosschecked with the text of Vidyabhavan Sanskrit Grandhamala of Chaukambha, Kaashi and with that of Gita Press. There are six to seven recensions of Ramayana, of which mainly 1] Lahore Edn, 2] Delhi - say Gita Press, 3] Punjab, 4] Bengal, 5] Maratha, 6] daaskhiNaatya prati say the one available for us southerners. This is available with Samata, Mount road, Chennai and in Telugu it was once published by Vavilla and sons, a century back, but unavailable now. Its prototypes are there in numerous publications. Kannada and Malayalam have the same in those languages. Reg. authentication, every single piece is authentic for us, because we had our own problems with copyists from palm-leaf books. Maybe one or two ‘tu ca-s’ may be missing, and if one says mahiipati the other say it as bhuupati - except for these, there are no great variations in the main flow of the epic in an over all manner, in any version listed above. Ramayana, as such, was not scripted by Valmiki but composed as a ballad and it was recited in the unknown history as harikatha, puraNa kaalakshepa etc., as we have no tradition of writing, as with Vedas. But with the advent of talapatra grantha-s, this was put to leaves. When it was scripted on palm leaves, each region has derived its own style of recording. The critical version is at here >> Dr J. D. Smith; email: jds10@cam.ac.uk ; http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html

Originally, it is believed, that Valmiki composed 24, 000 verses, and a 1000 verse part is one book. So each of the 24 books starts with the letter of Gayatri mantra. You can its details in the endnote Bala Kanda on our page. Later this division was amalgamated into the present day English book like chapter- edn. Then came the Kandas and chapter divisions. Then came the doctoring during British Raj when printing came. Then Nirnayasaagar press of Bombay, say, Baroda edn., have called for all mms and compared, and they have consolidated it to a shape. But the others who hold back to traditional version despise this Baroda version, because many parts are cut off. We are hanging on the traditional versionj, e-text given to us by Prof. Toku Naga of Japan, the first man to digitalise Ramayana, and cross checked with that of traditional version of Gita Press and that of Chaukambha, Kashi, and typing what all that are deleted by the critical edition of Toku naga. Gita Press has published some chapters clearly saying that they are interpolated ones. And we too had to include these sarga-s though interpolated, and u may see them in Kishkindha - later parts, when Sampaati comes to the rescue of monkeys. These shall be there, whether interpolated or not, because ancient commentators have commented and included them in their books.

But here and there u will find huge and odd vrittaa-s, which the grammarians say as interpolated. You may again see the intro of Bala kaanda, which is updated with some one info about commentaries etc.,

Guest guest

Dear Friends, how do i know How many Slokas are there in each kanda?. Since the Uttara kanda is a controvertial issue, (few say that it is not written by valmiki), we can count the sloka's in each kanda and see if they are equalling 24,000

Guest guest

helo Avinash,

Basically what book/edition you are handling for Ramayana and in which language - though uttara kaanDa has this blame we usually accept it as concluding part. The verses do not tally in a tailor made fashion to 24000 - they vary from version to version as I have informed you in this page - why not post a comment in our ramayana page with ur e-mail - i will interact with u - DHRao