IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Miracles at Lourdes

Rate this topic

I caught a brief snippet on Lourdes on the Discovery channel last night. I don’t know the full story, but basically the Virgin Mary appeared before a young girl named Bernadette revealing the stream at Lourdes. Eventually she became a nun, but passed away at the age of 35. What was amazing was that she was buried, but later her body was removed from the soil. To the amazement of everyone she was perfectly intact. Her body had no decomposition. Now, you may think this is exaggeration, but the Discovery channel showed her body. I’m not kidding, it looked like she was youthful and alive (just asleep). Her body was never embalmed, but is in a glass casing for onlookers. It was really amazing for me to see this… kind of scary, but fascinating.

This also amazes me, and I would find it hard to believe if I didn't see something similar for myself. The heart of St Theresa (not the little Terese I mentioned elsewhere), who lived a couple hundred years ago or so, still beats and rests in a glass reliquary to be seen. This receptacle is almost as beautiful as the heart itself, no kidding; it really is beautiful. The heart used to get the reliquary so hot it would burst the glass, so they had to design one with a vent to let heat out. The beating can visibly be seen too. I never saw it in person, but I used to have a picture of it on my website. I think I'll put it back on so it can be seen. I think the heart of St Theresa is in France.

Posted Image

I read somewhere that they have put a thin layer of wax over her face and hands (relatively recently I believe), but that she was never embalmed. This is a picture of her as she looks in the glass casing. If you have that beating heart picture, that would be interesting to see.

In Vedic culture they don't cremate the pure devotees because their body will remain intact. They put them in the samadhis for ordinary people like us go and pay our respects to them.

That picture of Bernardette is really sweet, she looks really peaceful. Another christian saint is in Goa and somebody took one of his fingers away, don't ask me why people do things like that.

There was an article in Discover magazine recently about the saints called 'incorruptibles' because their bodies lacked signs of decomposition. Upon further investigation it was discovered that the low temperature in the crypts in which they were entombed were the actual cause of this phenomenon - sort of a type of refrigeration. A heart still beating and bursting its container with heat is something else altogether!

Low temperatures might be able to explain some, but can even that keep a body so well preserved for over 100 years? I only saw the room that Bernadette was in, so can’t gauge the temperature, but it certainly didn’t seem all that frosty. Plus, I think if it was obviously very cold, people would easily notice that.

The film "Song of Bernadette" is based upon the novel "The Song of Bernadette". It was written by Franz Werfel, a German Jew, who during his escape from the Nazis had spent some time in Lourdes. He wrote it because he had made a vow to the Virgin Mary to re-tell the story of Bernadette Souberous in a book if She saved his life from the Nazis.

That film was my favorite as a child. I could not see it too many times, when it came on TV.

I'm not flaking out on the heart picture, I spent a lot of time yesterday keyword searching for it so I wouldn't have to do another web page in order to show it here. I suppose it would have been easier to just do the web page, but I didn't know the search would be so involving, searching for an image.But I came up with some wonderful sites about different saints.

Guest guest

This can't be!

It is usual for well known or loved occidental people, since the roman empire, to make a mortuary mask of the dead. It makes no question, what you see on Sainte Bernadette body is a mask mold in the mortuary mask. Same for the hands. A little make up, and that's it!!!!