IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

Bead Bags

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

So we can design bead bags with extra tough cloth at that point, or perhaps doubled up with some sort of additional padding. Thats my improvement. I'm putting a patent on it and will make a mint Posted Image now no one steal my idea Posted Image

You can have the patent, but my wife's already sewn padding in this spot on a japa bag I had. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one making these holes. If you can come up with a good material (maybe chain-mail) that will prevent me from wearing holes in them, then for sure you've got at least one customer.

Originally posted by Tarun:

JRdd: if u wanna do MLM with HarinAm japa, what shape will it take?

Pyramid won't do. Elliptic Strings? Near-Sphere Beads?

As for sankIrtan MLM, that will be in mRdanga format.

Large head down? Spreading conically at first...

Only to later taper off, due to milk-overboiling:

intense eagerness => laulyam, siddhi-lAlasA.

I was kind of thinking in the shape of the sweet ball stage. Like the world.

Why do men wear out their beadbags? Do they chant more, or more forcefully, or just forcefully? Or is it like banging on a mrdanga to make up for lack of skill? Posted Image Or is it something else? I don't get it. (scratch head smilie)

Haribol Leyh, I know the Peruvian devotee that you talk about it. He is married to a Singaporean (from Indian family). They went to Vrindavan for Kartik but they maybe back in Singapore by now.

I sold incense with him in 'Little India' outside a temple attired in full sari and devotional paraphernalia a few years ago. People was quite receptive and we didn't have problems at all. He is been there for years now.

Dear devotees,

Dandavat pranams. Jai Sri SRi Guru Gauranga! I remember the time when the Singapore temple was called Shiv Mandir because the devotees were not allowed to use the names of Krishna, neither were they allowed to be 'officially' affiliated to ISKCON. Now, things are changing, Srila Prabhupada's desire to see Singapore too take to Krishna Consciousness is slowly being manifest. It started with the Temple being called Sri Krishna Mandir, and from there, many things were happening, the most recently significant being that of the HAre Krishna devotees being asked to put on a 3 month display on Lord Krishna and HIs pastimes in the National Museum of Singapore. That's really awesome don't you think?

Anyway, Sri Krishna Mandir now has a website, you can check it out, the address is: www.krsnamandir.org.sg

The Deities, Sri Sri Radha Madanamohana are really really beautiful and I am sure you will have an awesome time surfing over there.

Hare Krishna!!

Your humble servant

Sudevi dasi

Guest guest

<u>Topic: Bead Bags </u>

Gauracandra: By the way, is there any Singapore temple website? or do they want to keep a low profile in the country.

gauraprema: I remember the time when the Singapore temple was called Shiv Mandir because the devotees were not allowed to use the names of Krishna, neither were they allowed to be 'officially' affiliated to ISKCON.

Talasiga: Hmmm ...

Shiv Mandir - hardly a <u>low</u> profile as "Shiva" means "Auspicious".

Speaking of the Auspicious, anyone seen a bead bag for Raudraraksha beads - the ones as big as plums ?

I had the good fortune of attending a program at a devotee’s home which was graced by His Holiness Bhaktisvarupa Damodara (aka Dr Thoudam Singh who was with Srila Prabhupada during the morning walk conversations that became compiled into Life Comes From Life) last Sunday evening.I think I had to be the only Chinese attending the program! It was the first time that I had ever met a direct disciple of Srila Prabhupada. He looked very kindly and scholarly. And his appearance reminded me a little of the Dalai Lama. I had brought my tape-recorder along and I went up to His Holiness and inquired whether I could record the program. He very kindly said: “Yes.”

His Holiness sang bhajana and played the kartals with so much devotion. During the bhajana, he waved his hands, apparently urging the devotees to sing louder. His singing was very powerful and I was totally mesmerized even though I didn’t know most of the words to the bhajana. After the singing, His Holiness gave a short class on the Bhagavad-gita 18.63 (“Thus I have explained to you the most confidential of all knowledge. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.”) Where he spoke about the utilization of free will for devotional service. After the class, there was a short question and answer session, followed by another sweet bhajana.

During the program, I also managed to receive prasadam directly from Maharaja’s hands and later, a devotee distributed the remnants of His Holiness’s prasadam. It was a wonderful evening and before I left, I told His Holiness that I had to go. He gently patted me on the shoulder and invited me to a program on the next day.

I didn’t attend that other program, but I will always remember that evening, especially the ecstasy on His Holiness’s face when he sang the holy names.

Sudevi and Leyh,

Thanks for the info. I would really like to visit Singapore someday. Also, nice report on Srila Bhaktisvarupa Damodara's program. The few times that I've seen him I've been impressed by his humility. You are right that he does kind of look like the Dalai Lama Posted Image

Gauracandra

Some traditional bead bags look more like a sock, without any holes in it for the index finger to come out, nothing for hanging it on the neck, etc. They are more common in North India today.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 06-02-2002).]

Originally posted by leyh:

Does anyone have any idea when bead bags came into use by devotees? Were they being used in Vedic times?

This is actually a very good question. I would like to know (1) when chanting japa actually began, (2) when japa beads came into use.

It would be interesting to know if Greek Orthodox and Muslim traditions antedated Hindu practices.

Jagat

Originally posted by Jagat:

By the way, I have a beadbag problem. I have big size beads, but my beadbag is a bit small. This means the beads keep falling out. Can anybody help me out?

According to wisdoms stated in this thread you must be having such big personality not containable within the situations of your currant existance.

Haribol!!

Jagat: Big sized beads eh?? Well, the only thing is.. big sized bead bag!!! =) I usually only use the white ones from Vrindaban, because my beads are somewhat big though, they usually fit the best. I love chanting on big beads, because I can roll them around with my fingers properly, with the tiny ones, I usually drop them while chanting.. uh oh.. perhaps it's my chanting that needs the fixing up!

Have you seen Sripad Jayapataka Swami's beadbag? It's amazingly huge, with awesomely big beads too... sweet!!

Well, gotta get back to chanting!! =) Hare Krishna!

Gauraprema

I found this interesting at Puru's page about the writings of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura (Bhajana-rahasya). I fear I often shake my beadbag hoping that the beads won't become knotted up. Won't be doin' that agin'.

Japa beads made out of tulasi or precious stones fulfill all desires. Those made in the shape of the tail of a cow or serpent offer even more auspicious results. One should not touch the mala with the second finger. Nor should one shake or swing his beads. One should change the direction of the beads on the thumb joint with the middle finger. One should never touch the beads with his left hand. Beads should not fall down from the hand. Those who are desirous of liberation, material enjoyment, or advancement of knowledge chant on the middle finger.

Originally posted by gHari:

I found this interesting at Puru's page about the writings of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura (Bhajana-rahasya). I fear I often shake my beadbag hoping that the beads won't become knotted up. Won't be doin' that agin'.

Are these rather stringent rules and regulations really necessary? Would Krsna be offended if we touched the japa mala with our second finger or our left hands?

Guest guest

http://7icon.com/2fashion/autorank.html

<a href="http://7icon.com/2fashion/autorank.html" target="_blank"><font size="4" color="blue">click

here to go</font></a></p>

Jewelry may be one of the buys of the Christmas season, with many discounts being offered, and most jewelry prices don't reflect increased prices for gold.

Jewelry usually sells well before Christmas, said George Whalin, chief executive of San Marcos, Calif.-based Retail Management Consultants.

The holiday season is a very good time to buy jewelry because of the deals. You have to be knowledgeable about what you want, but there are bargains to be had for consumers, Whalin told CNN/Money.

Gold prices have been hovering at about $500 an ounce, while platinum has exceeded $1,000 an ounce, but most of the jewelry being sold was made before the run-up on gold.

<a href="http://7icon.com/2fashion/autorank.html" target="_blank"><font size="4" color="blue">click

here to go</font></a></p>