IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Hello

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Chris:

how often a day should one chant hare krsna and when? is it merely when one wants a cheering up? is krsna the one god and the lesser gods are manifestations of his separate natures?

One should try to chant Hare Krsna every moment you can, untill Krsna starts to chant you, then the answers to your following questions will become self evident.I'll try to find a very nice description of the holy names if you would like, give us some moments, in the mean time chant Hare Krsna and be xstatic.

Ys

how often a day should one chant hare krsna and when? is it merely when one wants a cheering up? is krsna the one god and the lesser gods are manifestations of his separate natures?

Hi Chris. Well, early in the morning is the best time. Set yourself in gear for the rest of the day. Actually many devotees, who are able to that is, chant in the Brahma-muhurta hour, that auspicious time before sunrise, when all the world is quiet. I always found this the most conducive for meditating on the Holy Name myself, though I can not always do this do to some physical limitations sometimes. But anyway, anytime is also good for chanting of course, the chanting of Hare Krsna is said to be antiseptic and prophylactic; that is, the Holy Names purify all they touch, and also can not be touched themselves, or contaminated by mundanity. And in the begining stage one may taste bliss while chanting and also one may taste bitterness too, which is simply the impurities rising to the surface. When I first started chanting many many years ago, I thought of the effects as being more powerful than a thousand hits of acid, with the number it did on my false ego! Thanks for giving me the opportunity for remembering how powerful is the maha mantra, which ultimately leads one to the ultimate liberation, that of being able to associate with the Supreme Personality of Godhead, by mercy and grace that is, in the eternal realm of which this mundane sphere is but a perverted reflection. There our true spiritual identities are revealed, and reactivated, and as the soul is active by nature, so we have unlimited activities eternally, but of a divine nature. Nirvana or Brahman or merging with the void is not our goal. That is to us like spiritual suicide. So an important thingn to do in your studies is to learn to discriminate between the teachings of different paths, and find what it is you yourself want on the ladder of different processes. Do you want a lower rung of realization or do you want the highest rung on that ladder?

Abd yes chant the mantra when you're sad, and chant it when you're happy. And also chant it however you feel, regularly, if you can. this wil be the best. Start with a set number of rounds on your beads, or simply chant for a set length of time, or just chant as you feel you can, and that will help you very much, to dive deeper into this understanding and be able to process what you read better.

And yes, Krsna is the One God from Whom everyone and everything else manifests, the One is front of so many zeroes, the One who gives meaning to everything. Do you want to take indirect paths or a more direct route? This should be your main consideration.

And I think you would very much appreciate the books by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, called Teachings of Lord Caitanya, and The Nectar of Devotion, books which discuss in detail many of the things, and more, of which you are wondering.

thanks,

Jayaradhe dasi

Hari bol, Mr dasanudas! I did not see your post as I was typing while you put it in. So nice to see you here, was wishing for your presence here all week! Just see how Krsna fulfills the right kind of desires. I look forward to the quotes you dig up for Chris and the rest of us.

ys, Jayaradhe dasi

This is a brief description of the Holy Name of Krsna as realized by Srila Sridhara Maharaj. Let him be victorious in all fortunate souls.

Krsna's Mystic Flute-song

This has been taught to us by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who said, "Properly chant the holy name, the sound representation of absolute sweetness." That sweetness is also to be found in the flute-song of the Lord. The sound of Krsna's flute has the great mystic power of capturing and pleasing everyone and everything. Upon hearing the sound of Krsna's flute, the Yamuna's current is paralyzed. The sweet sound of Krsna's flute attracts the trees, the birds, and the beasts. Everything is astounded by contacting the sweet vibration from Krsna's flute.

Sound vibration can work miracles; sound has the highest capturing potency. Sound can make or mar. It can do anything; it has such intrinsic capacity. It comes from the subtlemost plane, beyond the ether. That universal sound is absolute sweetness and goodness. How much power is there—how it can capture us! Like a blade of grass, we may be played by the current of that sweet sound in such a way that we cannot even trace out our own personality. We may lose ourselves there, but we do not die; the soul is eternal. Diving, up and down, we are played by the current of the sweet sound. We are less qualified than a straw, a blade of grass, and the Krsna sound is so big and so sweet that it can play us in any way it likes. We cannot begin to conceive how much power is in the name, the sound which is identical with absolute goodness and sweetness.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, "Don't neglect the sound which is one and the same with Krsna." Absolute sweetness and goodness—everything is there within the holy name. And the holy name is representing itself to us in a very cheap way: nothing is required to purchase it—no money, no physical energy. All these things are unnecessary. What is required? Sincerity.

One who simply takes this divine sound sincerely will be so enriched that no one will be able to conceive of so much goodness and development. And anyone may have it very cheaply, but one must chant sincerely with his whole heart. Of course, wholehearted sincerity presupposes going to a proper agent, a saint, and getting the holy name from him.

Sri krsna sankirtana is praised by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the inaugurator of the sankirtana movement who came as Radha-Govinda combined. His advice is most valuable and necessary to tell us that with a sincere spirit we must come to join this sri krsna sankirtana, the most purifying transcendental sound, which effects liberation, gives all fulfillment, and grants us such a positive attainment that we lose ourselves in the ocean of joy and inconceivable sweetness.

This is Sriman Mahaprabhu's grace, and He proclaims, "Let sri krsna sankirtana be expanded into this mortal world, that it may benefit everyone infinitely, for this is the highest and greatest benefit for the whole world. It is all-comprehensive. It releases us from all sorts of troubles, establishing us in the highest position of attainment."

And in this present degraded age of Kali, only nama-sankirtana can help us. Of course, nama-sankirtana is beneficial in all ages, but it is especially recommended in Kali-yuga, because in this age all other attempts will be opposed by many forces. Nama-sankirtana cannot be opposed by the troubles and waves of this material world, so one must adopt it. If we exclusively give ourselves to this, we will gain the highest fulfillment of life. There is no necessity of any other campaign, for they are all defective and partial. But the most universal, captivating, and beneficial thing is nama-sankirtana, which takes us to the highest goal. That alone can satisfy everyone.

All souls that are now disconnected from Krsna may be helped in this way. No other movement is necessary. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu tells us, "Exclusively devote yourself to this. It is all-embracing and all-fulfilling. And you can achieve it with the least trouble and least energy. Let it flourish in this Kali-yuga—let it flourish for the welfare of the whole universe, to reestablish all souls in their normal position."

Originally posted by JRdd:

Hari bol, Mr dasanudas! I did not see your post as I was typing while you put it in. So nice to see you here, was wishing for your presence here all week! Just see how Krsna fulfills the right kind of desires. I look forward to the quotes you dig up for Chris and the rest of us.

ys, Jayaradhe dasi

Please accept my respectful obeisances Mrs. dasi anudasi. Glad also to hear your input must be that Tricky Mystic again saw me lamenting for the world and re-animated this lifeless one, by your grace. You sound well. How's life in the eternal lane?

How's that?

Das the Digger downunder.

Guest guest

Originally posted by JRdd:

Well, early in the morning is the best time. ..... chant in the Brahma-muhurta hour, that auspicious time before sunrise.....

Chris,

was this the time of the day

when you first chanted "om om kali ma"

and you felt "very blissful" ?

Let's see if anyone can relate to this conception of the Name by SSM. Let there be no animosity towards others preceptors. Let us just all try to simply relish the service efforts of all the honorable vaisnavas, who in varying degrees are endeavouring to surrender their lives to the irresistable.

The Supreme Goal of Life

The next stage is sreyah kairava candrikavitaranam: the holy name bestows upon us the supreme goal of life. After initially doing away with the two negative engagements, our positive engagement begins and ultimately takes us to reality, to the real truth, which is eternal, auspicious, and beautiful. It takes us to that auspiciousness which is above this world of difficulty, and in a general way we achieve the supreme goal, the highest auspiciousness, the greatest good from chanting the holy name of Krsna. If we analyze this scrutinizingly, we find that in this stage, the holy name takes us to an intimate personal relationship with Krsna which includes neutrality, servitude, friendship, and filial affection (santa, dasya, sakhya, and vatsalya rasa). Sreyah covers the grace of Nityananda Prabhu, for it is by His grace that we may be allowed to worship Radha and Krsna in Vrndavana (nitaiyer karuna habe braje radha krsna pabe).

The next stage is vidya-vadhu-jivanam. The holy name prepares us for the wholesale surrender to Krsna that is found in conjugal love (madhurya rasa) where the devotees surrender themselves infinitely at the disposal of Krsna.

The next stage is anandambudhi-vardhanam. When we come to the proper level while chanting the name of Krsna, we find the transcendental ocean that is above all sorts of experience. The name comes to assert Himself over us according to the degree of our surrender, and when our surrender is complete, we feel a new type of ecstatic joy; we experience an infinite ocean of joy which is not static, but always dynamic. There we find new life and a new type of blissfulness. It never becomes stale or static, but at every moment gives us a taste of the infinite ocean of ecstasy.

Complete Self-Purification

The last effect is that our entire existence is purified. This kind of enjoyment does not pollute—it purifies. Enjoyment means exploitation. Mundane enjoyment creates a reaction and pollution attacks the enjoyer, but here, because Krsna is the aggressor, the result is purification. All enjoyment that comes from the center, from the autocratic desire of Krsna, purifies us completely.

In this verse, the words sarvatma-snapanam mean that all different phases of the self which may be conceived are fully satisfied and purified at once by chanting the holy name of Krsna. And there is another meaning of sarvatma-snapanam. If we praise Krsna congregationally, we will be purified according to our capacity. Both the singer and the audience as well as anyone who comes in connection with the transcendental sound will be purified. Snapanam means "purifying." That vibration purifies everyone and everything that comes in touch with it.

So Mahaprabhu says, "Go on with sankirtana, the congregational chanting of the holy name of Krsna." Of course, sankirtana must be genuine, so association with saints is necessary. It is not an empirical attempt. We are attempting to have a connection with the higher, unconditioned realm which can descend to help us here. We must have that connection with higher reality, for that is all-important. The holy name of Krsna is not mere physical sound; it is not lip-deep only, but it has a greater and higher aspect (nama aksara bahiraya bate tabu name kabhu naya). It is all spiritual. We are in the marginal plane of existence, so some higher connection is necessary in order that the wave will descend from that higher realm and come to us and spread its influence outside as well.

Wherever it goes, the sankirtana of the holy name of Krsna will produce these sevenfold results. This is the purport of Mahaprabhu's first verse. The first effect is that the holy name cleanses the soul which is attacked by the dirt of desires from the mundane world. By the second effect it gives mukti, liberation, perfect independence from material forces. The third effect brings real fortune: the opening of the soul's treasure. The innate resources of the soul are gradually awakened by the holy name of Krsna. Here, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu includes the other forms of relationship with the Personal Absolute.

In describing the next step. He takes the mood of conjugal devotion, where one is absolutely disposed for Krsna's enjoyment, unconditionally surrendering everything for His maximum pleasure.

Guest guest

Originally posted by talasiga:

KALI and [KESHAVA]

Both are so black

Light is lost in them .....

MEANING 8:

(for Satyaraja)

The Divine is not a place

where things are found.

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 09-11-2001).]

Guest guest

Talasigaji:

where things are found.

Satyaraj:

Hari is sayujya (Absolute Absorption)

Therefore He is black!

As He is Absolutely free,

He is also free from His sayujya

Therefore He is of any color!

He is the place where all places are placed,

Therefore He is called Ananta Visnu!

Can one find anything outside That place?

Guest guest

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

He is the place where all places are placed,

Therefore He is called Ananta Visnu!

Can one find anything outside That place?

Nothing can exist outside that Place

All is lost in It

which leads us back to meaning strand 8:

where things are found.

(Hmmmm.... the doctor is back. But I will not take his medicine - my illness is my life Posted Image)

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 09-11-2001).]

Guest guest

[all sorts of different questions]

My Dear Chris,

1. Please write all your questions on a piece of paper and always keep them near you ALONG with an old fashioned nib pen.

2. When next you chant "Om Om Kali Om" and you feel the bliss and tears flow from your eyes

3. Dip the pen in those tears and write your own answers.

Advisedly Yours

Talasiga

my answer may seem rash, i am agreeing with you, merely pondering why sri ramakrishna was so intent on worship of kali. i felt a strange affinity towards sri ramakrishna and i also noticed we share the same astrological sign, karmic destiny as our birthdays are only 4 days apart.

Guest guest

haha in other words there are no answers to come from this type of chanting. what of sri ramakrishna then

you appear to have chosen the most shallow

interpretation of what I said.

That is your right but unfortunately you have come to the wrong conclusion.

This is not what I am suggesting at all.

You have not followed the advice I gave you

and are pre-empting outcomes before trying it.

You are obviously more intelligent than me.

How can I advise you ?

Guest guest

i felt a strange affinity towards sri ramakrishna and i also noticed we share the same astrological sign, karmic destiny as our birthdays are only 4 days apart.

There are potentially 20 million people alive on this planet with this particular astrological aspect (same sun sign within 4 days). Do not look for the cause in this.

The AFFINITY is beyond birth and death.

Posted Image

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

Chris,

When you cast your net into an ocean like this you are sure to pull up a wide variety of fish.

You ask nice straight forward questions and sometimes receive only riddles as a response.

But I have noticed some are trying to offer answers in a way that will be most benfical for you.

Always use your discrimination.

One thing is that Hara[Hare]is a call to Radha for shelter.Durga or Kali is Her expansion for relating to the material sphere.

So all is included in the Hare Krishna mantra.

Hare Krishna

MC

talasiga - i am sorry if i have offended you and i appreciate your input. that is a valid point 20 million is a huge number.

maitreya - thank you very much for your straight forward answer it is appreciated. Posted Image

chanting

Chris

Guest guest

talasiga - i am sorry if i have offended you and i appreciate your input. that is a valid point 20 million is a huge number.

Sorry to say this but you have

not offended me.

I bear no grudge.

I do not belong to any "group".

Guest guest

Originally posted by Maitreya:

When you cast your net into an ocean like this you are sure to pull up a wide variety of fish.

Hmmm...

This is very CRYPTIC indeed.

I must call on IMAGINATION

and INTUITION

to know what

is meant

here.

Isn't it ?

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com