IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Questions of a blind devotee

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Haribol and Hare Krishna to all who is reading this.

Some time ago I discovered the Krishna consciousness while using the Internet. I like the faith, feel myself drawn to certain aspects of it, and i'm trying my best to develop the good quallities of a devotee of the Lord.

However because I'm physicaly blind I came over some difficulties and specific questions which I am not able to found att the Internet.

I thus hope that some kind hearted Prabhu's and Mataji's at this forum can help me out with answering my lot of questions, or perhaps there are some other disabled persons here with whom I would be able to share experiences?

Well, here then comes my list of questions. I sincerly wait for you to answer.

Q.1 Is there any braille (or audio) version of Bhagavad Gita as it is and other Vaisnava lecture available? If so, where can I buy it online?

Q.2 If I considder to visit a temple (which is more than 3 hours traveling from where I live) Is my Guidance Dog alowed to enter the temple? I mean, I have a lended guidance dog and am not alowed to tie it to somewhere and then leave it. If not, what am I supposed to do with my guidance dog when I visit a temple?

Q.3 Is it a necessity to put pictures (statues) of Sri Krishna, Sri Caitanya and Srilla Prabhupada on my altar? I mean, I cant see them and I would be scared that they fall when I do anything on my altar (such as offering food)

Q.4 I of course cant read package lables and I cannot bother shopworkers all the time asking whats exactly in the packages. Should I coock? Should I offer my food, even though I'm not sure if there is meat or garlic in it?

Q.5 I asked my dogschool mentor if it is a necessity that my guidance dog eats meat. He said 'yes'. Should I prepare my dogs food in the kitchen?

Q.6 How do I apply tilaka if i cannot even see in a mirror if it is well applied?

Q.6 Should I accept (and offer) food prepared by my karmi husband because I'm not that able to cook myself?

Q.7 Should I use food bought by my karmi husband (who is a strict vegan and is not blind)?

Q.8 Shoul I kneel while entering a temple even if I do not know where the deities are positioned?

Q.9 Should I wait before entering a temple room before someone else rings the bell which I am not able to find by myself?

Q.10 If I put statues on my altar, should I bath them on the altar (even if I cannot forecome that it will become a mess)?

Q.11 Am I alowed to burn pawn insence and wax lights on my altar because they are more safe?

Q.12 Should I keep my guidance dog away from the altar? And how do I do that because he has to be always in the same room as I am?

Q.13 Should my karmi husband help me cleaning up the altar?

Q.14 What If I in a desorented state incidently -bump- into my altar? How do I make my excuse?

Q.15 When my blind friends come over, should I -show- (let them feel) the deities?

Then I have two other questions.

1. How can my deaf friend chant the Maha Mantra?

3. Are there any blind devotees on this forum who have 'saw' Krishna (in a dream or during meditation) What did He look like?

I know it are a lot of questions, but may the Lord bless everyone who helps me further into the highter consciousness

Q.14 What If I in a desorented state incidently -bump- into my altar? How do I make my excuse?

__

I was rolling about laughing with this. I never bumped into my alter. I think if I did I would have a heart attack. Because I would need to clean it up.!

Bhagavad-gita Audio is available at: www.gitamtra.org

Guest guest

Haribol Prabhu,

It happened me once, I used to have an altar before I came in touch with Vaisnavism, on a certain night I was really tired and fully desorientated, I walked -into- my altar. Luckily I hadn't any water or statues on it so It took me short to clean it up.

Its just, what is the proper way to excuse the Deities if such a thing happens again.

Guest guest

Orientation is a hard thing for blind people.

Image you are in a room and its completely dark. spin around a few times and you'll have no idea where you are, where the door is and where your altar is.

I did make a sort of excuse that time although no deties were on it. But Next day I washed its cloth.

There is no exact prescribed way to make an excuse to such offense?

anyway, thank you for replying Prabhu, May Krishna Bless you.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna, All gllories to Srila Prabhupada and my humble obeicences to him.

Hi SoulVision,

Your questions are really impressive and a sign of 'Bramha Jigyasa' meaning your urge/eagerness to know about GOD the Almighty.

You already have answers to all your questions - simple - 1) tell me if you bump into or onto your best friend in a disoriented state will he get angry? And know for sure Lord Krishna is THE BEST AMONG THE BEST FRIENDS WE HAVE AND A PERMANENT ONE AT THAT.

And about food you buy from the stores - there is a little story of Lord Rama who very happily ate chewed black berries offered to him by an old woman named Sabri. And why did he accept chewed black berries? Because he realized the intense feelings within the old lady's heart. She chewed each and every black berry before offering it to Lord Ram because she wanted to ensure that she is offering him the Sweetest berries. LOOK AT HER INTENSE WISH AND FEELING.

So friend take it for sure that Lord Krishna is hungry for unconditional, selfless LOVE irrespective of one's education, richness or poverty, beauty, cast, creed, colour. All these things are going to be left on this earth when you depart but your FEELINGS AND LOVE FOR KRISHNA is what will remain as eternal as you are.

Friend, just fall I repeat FALL IN LOVE with Lord Krishna and you will be pardoned for all the mistakes you do unintentionally.

Hari Bol !

Guest guest

Haribol,

Thank you for replying.

Of course, I know that Krishna is the Most Merciful of all beings. He is mercy himself and will forgive mistakes due to inabillity. I Love him, and do not desire Him to love me back.

I ask alot of questions because I do not know what the vaisnav tradition says about certain situations.

Like I have read that you should not accept food from nondevotees. I understand the reason for such a rule, but then I think of my own situation and think, how am I able to eat when not being able to cook myself and without kind devotees around me helping me out.

Its because of certain rules that I am unsure about many things. I will believe they will work when you are a nondisabled person who can cook, clean up, burn candles et cetera without any danger.

Its because I'm not sure how strict one has to follow the traditional rules. I'm all my life scared that people think that I do things wrong, just because I can't do any better. I do not want to offend or be offensive, or called offensive because I'm trying real hard not to be.

Í lived my life in the mode of scaredness because I have to do things different and I discovers some people do judge things that are not following the standards.

I am just very unsure, but very curious, but I love God. I believe I can offer God food which I prepare in meditation. I once read in the Scriptures about someone (sorry I forget whoom) did that and thought, well, I cannot coock, but I want to offer food to Krishna, and so I did the proces of buying, preparing and offering food in my mind.

I'm not sure what people think about it when I'm telling that I certain services in this way, I'm always scared that it is not accepted/tollerated. But I have the desire to offer my food to Krishna, even though I have difficulties with buying preparing and carrying it to my altar. (I dont want to bump in it when carrying food, - that is too dangerous ;-))

I know Krishna will understand, and I know that Krishna desires me to do things which I am not able to do. Though I want to serve him, in any possible way I can.

There is no exact prescribed way to make an excuse to such offense?

Maybe visit a temple? and ask.

Your dog should be okay I feel. I think also you can feed dogs anything. They will eat it. [mine did when I had one YEARS ago]. I fed is Indian Food [not curries]. Though I think sometimes we did feed it meat from cans. Woof woof.

Guest guest

Prabhu,

Theres one big difference between a normal dog and a guidance doog. A normal dog is from its owner and its owner decide what to feed the dog.

A guidance dog is lets say 'hired' from your care asurance, you have to feed it certain specific food because they think it is the best for the dog. That food however does contain meat.

As in vaisnav etiquette is stated, the Kitchen is an expansion of the altar.

So I dont put meat on my altar and thus I am curious If I should prapare the dogs food in the kitchen or somewhere else.

bandari badara... audio streems(www.gitamrita.org)

as the kitchen the wellfortune, sometimes de doggie here in the houses eats well cause of remants from the food stuff, is a matter of clean hearted ones, then a deal.

be sincere with thy self , of what you wanna do for real.

When I had my dog we prepared the food NOT IN THE KITCHEN ever. We are vegitarians. I am not sure about the karmic reactions you would recieve if you feed your Dog meat. I think they are meant to be carnivores. But in India many people do have Dogs and they feed them only vegitarian foodstuffs.

i see now that there is --no need at all to grasp in the dark in the temples, un less one knows what been happennin.

right?.

the homework is for each personaly. there is, some reggae song am into, it says like music gonna teach them one lesson !!

i recalll a time when i get to meet bhakti vilash in the temple and there was a readding of ta gita verse and all prassadamm we all eat, there i can not remember the exact verse sayi something like.. there is no benefit if is not kindle the fire and all.. then one can get to know things as they are.

Guest guest

How are you able to type and read if you are blind? Where are you from? What is your nearist city a temple is in?

Guest guest

-Quote-

How are you able to type and read if you are blind? Where are you from? What is your nearist city a temple is in?

-End quote-

Thanks to all who have been replying to my message.

I use my computer including typing and reading using some special software called a screen reader. It is like a normal textreader (such as the one at readplease.com) but it reads everything including icon lables websites, and so on.

During my education I learnt to type blindly so thats how I use computer.

I live in the Netherlands, three hours with train and buss from the temple in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

@Savyasaci I do not really understand your posts. Please clarify.

@Govindaram If the food should not be prepared in the kitchen, where else should I prepare it? I live in a small apartement, with a kitchen, a bedroom, a living room in which my altar is located, a toilet and a hallway. Which room do you suggest?

Govindaram If the food should not be prepared in the kitchen, where else should I prepare it? I live in a small apartement, with a kitchen, a bedroom, a living room in which my altar is located, a toilet and a hallway. Which room do you suggest?

__

The toilet! <smile> I know one lady devotee who sometimes needs to prepare food for her husband. Meat and so on, and she uses the same kitchen [not utensils] for cooking for Krishna. So I suppose you can do the same. There are rules but clearly you have to use your commen sence as well.

ps. I hope you find your answers.

Guest guest

Prabhu.

To prepare the dogs food in the toilet is nearly impossible because there is no room except for the toilet itself.

Until nowdays I prepared the food in the kitchen using different non cooking utensils. Then cleaning up to the best of my abillities afterwards.

Should I take a bath after preparing and giving the dogfood? Should I also change cloths afterwards?

I don't know the standards for it so I wonder.

No just wash your hands.

Can I ask you a personal question?

Have you been blind from birth? If so how do you percieve 'faith'. ? [you can call it research!].

Sorry if that question is not clear. I am just wanting to know for myself it's not an question which I am asking for any other reason. Be good if you could answer.

Guest guest

Haribol Prabhu,

I feel my English is not good enough to fully understand your question. Yes, I have been blind from birth possibly due to an infection of some sort.

"If so how do you percieve 'faith'"

I don't understand the exact meaning of the word 'percieve, the dictionary give the definition 'Consciously understand' Is that what you meant with it?

If so here's my answer to it.

When I was young I discovered I to be able to 'see' things whom people with no visual problems, - so I discovered - were not able to see. So I started being a kid of four years old to ask my parents for explamation about what I was seeing, but they could not give me any reasonable answer.

I was adopted being eight months from an asian country and came in a christian family. My parrents, both working in the church have let me grow up the christian way. However, somehow the religion didn't seem to fit my personal belief and I again started to ask questions that stayed to be unanswered.

In search for my roots I discovered that my biological parents had 'another faith' acording to my adoption parents. So I realized there were other faiths than the one whom they had presented me with. So I started to research them when I was around the age of eight, thinking that the 'other faith' of my adoption parrents would fit my beliefs more than the christian faith.

So I did. I discovered their faith, islam, but felt a certain disafection with it, I researched wicca, which has many hindu aspects in it, and via wicca I came to research hinduism and its various points of views (including budhism).

I found it to be difficult and left it for what it was because of certain thermonology which I didn't understand.

Once at a night I deamed of an in orange cloth clothed man sitting in lotusway with his back to where I entered the dream. He'd asked me: Would you like to find freedom?

I thought, well, that is a strange question.

after a moment of hasitation I answered 'Yes'.

He thought for a moment. Then he said contemplatedly "If that is true, go and find Krishna" And after that he disapeared and the dream faded away.

When I woke up the next morning I went to the Lirary In search for Krishna.- But I coudn't find anything about him, and the librarian didn't know either. Before I left I asked her to check the old books that would be sold cheap. (I eventually would ask someone to read it on tape if there is anything interesting) And between the piles of books I discovered a very old and much read Bhagavad Gita as it is.

When touching the book, I heard the same honourable man who had talked to me in that dream 'Krishna' he said, so I bought the book and took it back home and asked my husband to tell me whats in the book.

After that, whenn I got Internet the first thing I typed in Google was Krishna, and guess what, my first hit was Bhagavad Gita As it is. Curious about it all I started to research every site on the web dealing with Krishna.

And there is where I'm now.

I have found Krishna, and I will do my best to take His teachings to a practise. I still do not know who the kind man in the dream was who have brought me to Govinda, but I offer my respect to him, May Krishna bless him, whoever he is. I also offer respect to Srilla Prabhupada and other Vaisnava's who kindly have brought the Knowledge of Krishna to me by spreading this trancendental knowledge to 'the west'.

Anyway, this is my story, It might sound weird and unbelievable, but Krishna knows that everything just happened as I wrote.

Jay Sri Krisha!

Haribol SoulVision!

One of the important teachings I have learnt in Krishna Consciousness is to Be Practical. Do what you can do, but don't do what isn't practical for you to do.

Here is my answers to your questions.

1. I don't know of a Braille version of the Bhagavad-gita, however there is many audio versions available.

2. Different temples have different policies. Janananda Prabhu has written a nice book called 'Animals in Krishna Conciousness' which includes some stories about dogs that would turn up for morning program every morning, so it seems that some temples allow this. The best thing to do is to call the temple that you are considering visiting in advance and ask if it's okay. Everyone is very merciful and i'm sure something could be arranged.

3. It is recommended to have the pictures on the altar, but again as I said earlier, be practical. Obviously little purpose is served if you are unable to see them. The purpose is for the food to be offered to the past acaryas and Krishna. You can do this in your mind, it is fine.

4. Do you have any sight capable friends? Perhaps you could go to the supermarket with them one day, and go over all the different things that you normal eat, and get them to help you sort out what is okay and what isn't. This way in the future you are able to purchase without too much trouble. The main things to keep away from is Meat, Eggs, Onions, Garlic, and Mushrooms. However meat as you'd know sometimes turns up under different names, like rennet in cheese. So, make sure that your friend is aware of different things like this before leaving for the supermarket. If you email me, I can send a list of animal based products to you.

5. I would suggest you didn't prepare the dog food in the kitchen. If it is simply feeding the dog from a can of dog food, then wouldn't it be possible to do this outside or where the dog is fed?

6. When it comes to applying tilak, either you can apply it with the help of your husband, just apply water (which is bona fide, and also it's doesn't matter how it looks), or not apply at all.

6 (the second question 6). Since you are unable to cook yourself, there is no other choice than to accept this food. If you are able in any way to help, do so. If you can talk to him about Krishna while he cooks, do so. Even if you play some Krishna Conscious music while he is cooking, this can make a positive change on the food.

Krishna is merciful and will understand.

7. Yes this is fine, it doesn't matter who purchases the food.

8. It isn't important the direction that you pay obeisances, so this won't be a problem.

9. I'm not sure what you mean in this question, but to my knowledge there is no need to ring a bell to enter the temple room. If the deities are sleeping, you can still enter, and when the bell is rung and they are shown, it is important to pay obeisances. However everyone at the temple will be able to help you with the temple etiquette so I wouldn't worry too much in advance about these things.

10. If it is not practical for you to bath the deities, I recommend you don't, and pray to Krishna to understand.

11. I am unaware of what Pawn incense is sorry. However wax candles are fine.

12. It would be a good idea to keep the guidance dog away from the alter, specifically touching the alter if possible. It is okay if your dog is in the same room, but I would say that if you can keep your dog away, do so.

13. If your husband is envious of Krishna, no. If he is innocent, then this is okay, and you will be engaging him in devotional service which is nice. It would be nicer though if only you handled the deities.

14. Pay obeisances and pray for mercy. Krishna will understand.

15. I would suggest that they don't touch the deities. But if they are chanting and they are interested in Krishna Consciousness, in time this may be okay.

I hope this helped. I may get corrected on some of the deity details, I am not very knowledgable on that particular topic. Just remember, be practical. Do what you can, Krishna will understand when maybe something can't be followed, and the point that you are so interested and are trying so hard to please Krishna, he will see this endeavour and reciprocate with you very nicely.

I hope I have been able to help you.

Dwayne

Guest guest

Baribol Dwayne.

I offer my respect to everyone who has gave you the knowledge to answer my questions.

Thank you so much for replying and answering my questions, that've been so of a great help to me.

However, you mentioned Mushrooms in your reply and that it should not be eaten. This is however the first time I've heard about it. Can you please explain why it should not be eaten?

About question 9: I read in vaisnava etiquette you have to ring a bell before entering the tempelroom

www.iskcon.com/basics/etiquette.html

Before entering one should ring the bell or knock and chant the names of the Deities.

about question 11: I meant these little pieces non stick insence. I know they have more coal in it to stick the incense together, but they are les dangerous than large sticks. Sorry, I wasn't sure how this type of insence is called in English. This should be a picture of what I meant

http://www.eborg3.com/Graphics/Bible/66-Revelation/Rev08/incense%20cones1.gif

Again, many thanks for answering my lot of questions. May Krishna bless you.

Hari Hari SoulVision.

Incense cones are fine. Sadly the ISKCON page isn't loading for me at the moment so I can't see the page. But from what I know and have seen, we pay our obeisances when entering a room where deities are present. Maybe when you visit the temple, you can ask about the etiquette for that temple.

From what I know in regards to Mushrooms, it's because they grow at night (or in the dark usually) and basically feed on dead, decomposing material. They are in the mode of ignorance, so we restrain from eating them (when it's practical).

I hope this helps.

Guest guest

Haribol.

Is the Google cache not working? Yes I copied the text of the etiquette for my - what I call- Knowledge book, in which I collect all Knowledge I gain about Krishna.

Thanks for the information about Mushrooms. I will stop eating them inmeadiatly. Do you know the exact verse in the Sastra's Then I would be able to look them up and save them in my Knowledge book for rememberance later.

May Krishna's Blessings be uppon you.