IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Vegetarianism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Actually it doesnt matter what you eat its your attitude of thankfullness that is important.Being veg may give you that superiour attitude so you can look down on non veg people but its a fact if all were veg many many more animals would die than this way .

Guest guest

An article from www.gitamrta.org.

Does God Want Man to Eat Meat?

When discussing the topic of killing (meat eating) with Christians and Muslims. They ultimately justify killing animals for food by pointing to their scriptures. Thus the main reason why man kills for a living (meat eating) is religion. The Bible and Koran both state that animals are food. They both claim that their scripture is the word of God and thus there is absolutely nothing wrong in killing innocent animals.

This raises the question does God want man to eat meat?

This question can be answered by looking at the health, economic, and violence issues.

1. Health

Is meat good for us?

It’s a scientific fact that vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters. Scientific studies show that vegetarians have a much lower risk of suffering from diseases like cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and other health disorders compared to meat eaters.

Scientific Studies Support a Vegetarian Diet

A major study reported in the British Medical Journal in 1994 found that, of 5000 meat-eaters and 6000 non-meat eaters, vegetarians had 40% less risk of cancer and 30% less risk of heart disease than the meat-eaters and were 20% less likely to die of any cause (Oxford Vegetarian Study).

A US study of 50,000 vegetarians showed a very low rate of cancer (Seventh Day Adventist Study, Massachusetts). It has been estimated that by following a low-fat vegetarian diet, the risk of food poisoning is decreased by 80%.

A balanced vegetarian diet is better for humans than one that includes meat (from TIME magazine, July 2002).

An 11-year study of 1,900 German vegetarians has found mortality from cardiovascular disease to be 61% lower in male vegetarians and 44% lower in female vegetarians than the general population.

Hypertension can contribute to heart disease, strokes, and kidney failure. A number of studies have shown vegetarians to have lower blood pressure than meat eaters (Sacks 1974, Armstrong 1977).

The British Medical Association (1986) stated that vegetarians have lower rates of obesity than meat eaters.

Vegetarians have lower rates of colon cancer than meat eaters (Phillips 1980).

There is overwhelming scientific evidence to prove that a vegetarian diet is much more healthier than a meat based diet. Eating meat can seriously damage your health.

What about Protein?

Most people are brainwashed into thinking that meat is the only source of protein. The simple fact is that there is plenty of protein in a vegetarian diet too.

Thus would God want man to eat food that will increase the chances of suffering from major diseases, reduce the quality of life, and reduce the life span?

Absolutely not.

Would you want your children to eat food that is not good for them? No?

Similarly God doesn’t want his children, you and me, to eat food that is bad for our health.

2. Economic

Does it make economic sense to raise animals for food?

It takes at least 17 kg of corn, beans, grains etc., many gallons of water, and some time to produce just 1 kg of beef. This is like investing $17 in a bank term deposit and withdrawing $1 at maturity.

The 17 kg of corn, beans, and grains would feed at least 20 people while the 1 kg of beef would feed at most 2 people.

Does it makes any sense to feed an animal 17 kg of vegetation, many gallons of water, provide shelter, allow some time, and then cut it’s throat and kill it to produce 1 kg of meat?

Would it be better just to take the 17 kg of vegetation and feed on it directly rather than having it go through an animal and then feeding on the animal a much reduced quantity of food?

The reason why somewhere in the World a child dies of starvation every two seconds is because of slaughterhouse mentality as described above. If the millions of acres of land, which is used to grow food for animals, were used to grow food for humans directly then there would be at least 17 times more food than currently. Thus there would be no poverty in the World.

About 70% of the crops grown in the US are fed to animals and not to humans. The mentality is that convert 17 kg of vegetarian food into 1 kg of meat so that at most 2 people can eat instead of at least 20. Also there is the thrill of killing the animals, which is very much liked by the average person.

If everyone in the world became a vegetarian, there would be no such thing as poverty. But unfortunately the majority of the humans simply can’t give up the thrill of killing innocent animals and so the children will have to continue dying due to starvation at the rate of 2 every seconds.

Would God want man to turn 17 kg of vegetarian food into1 kg of meat, involving killing innocent animals and ensuring millions of children die of starvation?

3. Violence

Is violence related to meat eating?

What do all the terrorists have in common?

What do all the violent criminals have in common?

What do all the murderers have in common?

The simple answer is that they are all killers (meat eaters).

Have you heard of vegetarian terrorists?

Have you heard of vegetarian criminals?

Have you heard of a vegetarian murderer?

The over whelming majority of the violent people in the World are meat eaters and not vegetarians.

How does meat eating make one violent?

By killing for a living (meat eating), the human mind develops a taste for killing, which leads to a mentality of violence to others. People who kill animals are much likely to kill people too. This is a fact as the terrorists, and the most violent criminals are mostly animal killers (meat eaters).

The vegetarians don’t kill for a living (no meat) and so their mind develops a taste for non-violence to other living beings.

The US government spends billions of dollars each year on combating terrorism. They think by going after those with guns and bombs will solve this problem. They totally ignore the root cause of violence. Which is human mentality of violence, caused by killing for a living (meat eating).

The simple formula for stopping terrorism and violence is:

No Meat= No killing = No mentality of violence = No terrorism/No violence

What about killing the plants?

There is a big difference between cutting grass and the necks of chickens. Killing plants and animals is not the same.

Would God want man to kill for a living (meat eating) so that they can develop a mentality of violence and become killers of humans too?

Guest guest

"Have you heard of vegetarian terrorists?

Have you heard of vegetarian criminals?

Have you heard of a vegetarian murderer?"

Yes, my friend for your infomermation Mr. Hittler was vegetarian. There are so many other examples also. The purpose of life is love the Supreme lord and serve Him. Pls. don't get me wrong I'm not trying to justify killing of animals and being non-vegetarian.

Guest guest

"The over whelming majority of the violent people in the World are meat eaters and not vegetarians."

I don't say there are no vegetarian killers, only that the majority of killers are meat eaters.

The number of criminals who are vegetarian is in-significant compared to the criminals who are meat eaters. That is the point.

I would say about 99% of the violent criminals are meat eaters. Thus only 1% ae vegetarians.

Hitler may have been one of the 1% of vegetarins but still a violent criminal.

Guest guest

O.k. one should become vegetarian and then what? Is life is all about becoming vegatarian?

Guest guest

Life is about becoming vegetarian.

How? It is inter-connected.

Just like our actions are in three modes of material nature: sattva, rajas and tamas; similarly our eatables are also in three modes

Non-Veg food is considered to be the eatable in mode of ignorance (tamas). when you eat non-veg, your mindset is also in the mode of ignorance. non-veg provokes your senses and I can give several examples proving this point.

We live like what we eat. Be a vegetarian. For god's sake excuse those poor animals now, which are murdered for the sense gratification of our uncontrolled taste buds.

Guest guest

"Life is about becoming vegetarian."

Is that what Srila Pabhupad said ? or you are saying it? Pls. answer. Thanks

Guest guest

Vaisnavas follow a strict vegetarian diet; no meat, fish or eggs. Onions and garlic are also avoided because Lord Krishna does not like them. Why onions and garlic? Could some one explain?

Guest guest

"I would say about 99% of the violent criminals are meat eaters. Thus only 1% ae vegetarians."

Any studies that prove this ? If not quit just randomly placing numbers.

Capacity for violence has NOTHING at all to do with food choice. In the US punk scene one of the more violent offshoots was straightedge. The bands had a great messege but a large chunk of the crews were violent twords ANYONE that didn`t follow their life choices. I could go on and list groups like ELF that use violence and terrorist tactics and we could be here all day.

So care to share with me where you get your numbers or are you just speaking without any clue ???

Hare Krishna,

I think you're missing the point here. The point is that we cease to eat meat by our own will when we decide to follow in the footsteps of the Vaisnavas. Why? Because common sense tells us that the slaughter of innocent animals for foodconsumption is a VERY negative and sinful path, no matter how thankful you may be.I have no clue of what thankfulness prayer can make right such a sinful act: "Oh, thank you mister butcherman for taking the animal's life,and thank you o unwittingly animal for getting killed for my sense gratification."

Common sense and clear vision is what Krishna gives to you when you in all honesty try to follow in the footsteps of the Vaisnavas. Suddenly you become aware of how wrong these activities really are and you can't believe you did ever partake in them.

Vaisnavas say that whenever an innocent animal seeks your shelter you need to protect and take care of it, not to kill it! Nobody kills their dog or cat.

When a soul becomes trapped in an animal body due to previous activities it becomes free of karma. He will have to go through many cycles of animal life until he has payed back his debt,and then he will get a human birth. The human life is special and different from animal life only because of our ability to question our existence, to inquire about and serve God. If we do not do this and simply partake to sleeping, eating,defending and mating we are no different from animals. Unlike animals, humans can discern good activities from demoniac activities, we have a choice in doing good or bad and as such we are subject to the law of karma. The cow is one of a few others(If I remember correctly they are cow,horse,tiger and monkey) that is the last animal lifeform before obtaining a human body again, and this among many other reasons is why it's such a great sin to kill a cow. The soul entrapped in the animal body is not able to complete its "cowterm" and is forced to come back in an animal body once more and live it out again.

This knowledge which any Vaisnava has makes it impoosible for him/her to continue the meateating process, and in fact there are probably too many reasons to list for living on a meat/fish/egg free diet, the least of which is probably the health issues,of which the results of researches are not surprisingly in favor of those not consuming meat and such.

One cannot be a Vaisnava and continue to eat meat, this is impossible, as they would become hypocrites and their word would become worthless, because they wouldn't be living what they stand for.A true Vaisnava is a friend to all, even to great sinners and demons, they only take as little as is needed for their own survival,and when they do they offer their food to Krishna. It is actually a great fortune for a soul trapped in a plantlife to have it's body be taken by a Vaisnava. Because Vaisnavas are equal to all and see Krishna everywhere they could never allow themselves to take to unnecessary and ignorant foodpatterns, such as meateating, this would be completely unthinkable. Fora Vaisnava there is nothing to feel superior about being vegetarian really. It is simply how a good, God-loving human is supposed to live. No Vaisnava feels superior because of his vegetarianism, but rather they feel sad for all those humans who have become slaves to their own senses and are lost.

Hope this helps,

Haribol!

intrometing the conversation i will like to strees that thing like food that must be chewed, however listed.

There are like four ways to do so, like drink, or to chew then lick and swallow. From that point of view if noone creates at a time being suffering then it will be allright, as for the things so far goin i have heard about the straight edge among the vaisnavas there are a few but most known the Shelter music and with new CD in it has been done a song called mantra. I like it, is not how is looked but what it has in fruits, them have a great aproach out of from the Bhavagat in the hard-core way of chords, and I think them not even the change to stress the message with struning hard guitars etc etc.. the message behind is great - the message of the bhagavat that is.

From that point no one quick no one, but teaches. and all in peace, (could u imagine that stressing crowd).

With chewed vegies.. I am glad my MOM is a vegie, i should tell her also imho the Bhagavat She tolds me out About seence a likle child the lost-land we be going to that same golden age and good dishes allrownd, she made so.

Probably am goin to be vegie evah, hope to the people it can´t be a dificult tapasya to folllow, it came natural.. u know?

---Even then the plants are not aware of them selfs, just flow withlive´s energy.

Guest guest

Nrsinghadev,

While I no doubt appreciate your reply I am Vegan and have been for some time. My whole issue was with the false facts about meat eaters being more prone to violence.

A Vegan lifestyle is not only a spiritual choice but also one that leads to better health in general, of this there is NO DOUBT.

However extremists that quote false logic only damage other peoples views of this life choice. Not sure where you are from nation wise, but here in America vegans live with a stigma that extremists have gone out of their way to achieve. Any discussions about Vegan living are usually first met with " Are you one of those weirdos ? "

Makes it rather tough to pass the word on don`t you think .....

Guest guest

"My whole issue was with the false facts about meat eaters being more prone to violence."

This is a fact and not a myth. Violent people are much more likely to be meat eaters than vegetarians.

Have you heard of a terrorist who was a vegetarian? Very few out of the millions of terrorists.

Guest guest

a good point was made.once the matter ...food is in the mouth there is chewing and swallowing and nourishing ..any other thoughts are mentasl concoctions and as such are subject to the law of impermanence so therefore it doesnt matter if you eat meat or not .Like you militant vegetarians who abstain from meat then go out and abuse harass us non veg people .Why make so many divisions ???

Guest guest

"This is a fact and not a myth. Violent people are much more likely to be meat eaters than vegetarians.

Have you heard of a terrorist who was a vegetarian? Very few out of the millions of terrorists."

2 words

Prove it.

I have more then proved my point. Try a google of ALF, ELF, Sea Sheperds, Straightedge Crew Violence. Doesn`t matter what you eat, it is whats in your heart.

The true fact of the matter is a percentage of people that choose the Vegan lifestyle do so to live a less cruel life, they were already kind and non-violent they just saw Veganism as the next logical step in being cruelty free.

Using your logic most people that were raised on meat but made the switch were simply timebombs until they changed their diet ??

WRONG !

Guest guest

Hitler was not a veg. by his moral believes,he was for short time so because he was afraid to be poisoned by meet,since there were many attempts to kill him.

Guest guest

Do a survey of all the violwent criminals in Jails around the world then tell me how many are meat eaters and how many are vegetarians.

You will find that over 95% of them will be meat eaters. Thus meat eating and violence in directly related.

A person sho kills animals is much more likely to kill people too.

Guest guest

"Do a survey of all the violwent criminals in Jails around the world then tell me how many are meat eaters and how many are vegetarians.

You will find that over 95% of them will be meat eaters. Thus meat eating and violence in directly related."

And over half will be men thus being a man means being violent... Duh.

Cite me some studies, even just one.

People like you give vegans a bad name, I would suggest you go back to school and learn aboyt facts vs. speculation before you make yourself look any worse.

Guest guest

"And over half will be men thus being a man means being violent... Duh. "

I know they will all be men, but how many of them will be a meat eaters and how many vegetarians? That is the point.

You will find that over 95% of them will be meat eaters.

Vegans are even less violent than vegetarians.

Guest guest

"You will find that over 95% of them will be meat eaters."

Thank goodness less than 1 percent of the Vegan community is as clueless as the example you set.

Facts are easy to find if the claims made are truthful.

Meat eating does not cause someone who never had violence in their soul to suddenly become a terrorist or madman, nor would becoming a Vegan cause Charles Manson to suddenly want to hug children and end poverty.

Keep responding there are quite a few of us laughing !