IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why no Pews in Vedic Temples?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is there any religious meaning for sitting on the floor? If so, what is it! Also are there any temples that have pews or benches? If there aren't any, can they be added?

Guest guest

I know sitting on the floor and eating is healthy compared to sitting on the table.

Sitting on the floor also means we give up our ego. Which is very good.

Guest guest

It has no religious meaning! It'd just apart of indian culture! So adding chairs(pews) as feature of "western" vedic temples is possible! I still doubt it'll happen!

Guest guest

i have notices at toronto temple which is ion an old church that they have kept the seating which is around the walls - for older persons and nursing mothers can use this.

It is a nice idea.

Guest guest

pews an extension of the body and so when there are pews, we enter into bodily consciousness and then we start thinking we are Lord instead of Krishna is Lord so the vedas don't have pews in the worship ceremony to prevent society from falling into degradation and sin

nice so like to sit on floor maybe, i didn´t know that was it, it really part of Indian culture? to seat directly to eat then how is the way, it will let go off the ego feature from the self?

Is it?

If it is an Indian mean for this it maybe some mean as if seatted on the bench or a simple chair.

Or is it @ the temple that it is done just when eatting.?

Guest guest

sometimes according to time and circumstance, we may have to sit down but we should chant hare krishna to minimize the ill effects of sitting in a chair and also think of ourselves as lower than a blade of grass

Guest guest

the main reason for no pews or other permanently installed seating is simply to allow for lots of floor room for dancing during kirtan.

Guest guest

I was recently told by a devotee who lived in the Toronto temple in the early 1970s that the pews there were all sold to raise funds after they bought the place. When they told Prabhupada, thinking he would be pleased, he said they should have kept the pews, for people to come in with their shoes on from outside, sort of like a semi-public area.

Perhaps devotees tend to imitate the forms of mid 20th century Hinduism and India, without realising that the mood of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Bhaktisiddhanta was to move forward in a dynamic, substantial way.

Still it sounds like the Toronto temple have reintroduced them which is good, since the old timers cannot always sit on the floor anymore!

Guest guest

that Prabhupada also like the pews (and stained glass windows) in the LA temple, and was disappointed when they were removed.