IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
kshatriya_108

Does the Sun revolve around the earth in the SB or am I mistaken?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If the earth revolves around the sun, then the sun also revolves around the earth. Since there is no fixed point of reference it all depends which standpoint you take

Guest guest

dear bandhu,

earth, sun and the planets and the entire universe is a part of an illusion called mahamaya.its all relative,if u board a train the platform seems to move,if u r not the train seems t move.but remember non of the visualisatin is true. what u see is illusion.nothing is real except KRISHNA

HARE KRISHNA

Shree RaadhaaKrshnChaitanya Namah

Read the translation more carefully,

SB 5.21.19: My dear King, in his orbit 'through' the sun-god traverses a distance of 95,100,000 yojanas [760,800,000 miles] at the speed of 2,000 yojanas and two krosas [16,004 miles] in a moment.

The word is orbit through Bhu-mandala; its not 'around' it. However it could closely mean the same, there has to be some differnce in meaning. Word for word translation from Sanskrit to English is almost impossible.

it may be worthy of being put here that there are around 3 billion Suns in a galaxy and our Sun orbits around the galactic centre. Completing one orbit varies from 225m to 250m earth years, as could be found over here, http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/StacyLeong.shtml

Moreover, there may also have been changes in the galactic atmosphere and mass of either earth or Sun which can result in the rotational speed, distance inter se and distance in relation to the Galactic centre.

Remember, nothing...nothing in the Vedas or Srimad Bhaagwatam is either fake, untrue, an exaggeration or not absolutely right.

Trust or die in this mortal world.

Hari Aum Tat Sat

Guest guest

But your acceptance of the Supreme Personality of Godhead is not dependent on any particular view of how the cosmos is arranged or works.

YB

Guest guest

At the same respect, your belief in Hare-Krishna is just as much, if not even more, of an illusion. The fact is, a human has a choice of following the path of Krisha, Jesus, Budha and so on. Whether a higher spirit exists is also relative.

Guest guest

the rascal scientists are always writing post-dated checks and then what they say is then changed by a scientist who comes along later so probably scientists will once again be saying as the highest trugh srimad bhagavatam teaches that the sun revolves around the earth and the moon is twice as far away

To me, the only thing that the uplisted verse from SBG states is a thing that was "re-discovered" in the 20th century by Albert Einstein. Relativity theory. From the standpoint of relativity theory, it doesn't make any difference if you say that the train is moving on the railroad or if you say that the railroad is moving under a train. Same goes for Earth and Sun.

Haribol!

Haribol Thomas256

I was listening to a play about Lord Jagannatha the other day, and enjoyed it very much.

I was quite suprised when I heard the part about where King Indradyumna went to visit Lord Brahma though:

"So great was Indradyumna's devotion to God that even Lord Brahma was eager to meet him. Lord Brahma described how Lord Jagannatha would appear in a wooden form from a great kalpa-vrksa tree, transported from the spiritual planet of Svetadvipa.

As Indradyumna returned to earth in a space ship from Brahma's planet, he noticed that things had changed. Though he was away for what seemed a short time, the earth had aged many years. No one recognised him in his own kingdom, and his trusted priest Vidyapati had been replaced by another."

Here are the effects of relativity being described in relation to what happens when you travel to the stars, and pass what feels like normal time to you but is actually a very long time in relation to Earth time, a long time before Einstein came up with his theory of relativity!

Far out!

I have read that Einstein read the Bhagavad Gita and was a believer in God, ie so he was not one your usual rascal scientists.

Could anyone tell me when the Jagannatha/Indradyumna event took place please ?

Hare Krishna

All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Mark

Guest guest

Ok, the Vedas could have been called advanced at that time, but by now, Western science and philosophy has already surpassed it about 500 years ago. Now the Vedas are outdated, both philosophically, scientifically and spritually.

Guest guest

the rascal scientists are always writing post-dated checks and then what they say is then changed by a scientist who comes along later so probably scientists will once again be saying as the highest trugh srimad bhagavatam teaches that the sun revolves around the earth and the moon is twice as far away

say what? If the moon is twice as far away as the sun, please tell me how our astronauts landed upon it?

Where does the SB state this? and lets see the context.

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/5/21/19/en

look at this verse is says the sun God traverses the "earthly globe".

or does this have another meaning?

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA!

Dear kshatriya, I understand your confusion. Read this book titled "Mysteries of The Sacred Universe" by Richard Thompson

It talks about the cosmology of the Bhagavatam.

mohn-krsna

say what? If the moon is twice as far away as the sun, please tell me how our astronauts landed upon it?

well just like you believe that 'our' astronauts landed on moon.... there are a lot of people who believe they never did ...

didnt you know ??!!

haribol !!

Guest guest

omg this makes me soo angy that it says this, its ridiculous ya know, its what they beleived in the middle ages out of ignorance, why does it have to say that, coulnt it just have easliy said the earth moves around the sun. you know how primative this sounds, this makes me angry because it disrupts my faith and the vedas and krishna, theres always somthing comming along to get in my way!

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/5/21/19/en

look at this verse is says the sun God traverses the "earthly globe".

or does this have another meaning?

Hare Krsna!

Actually there is nothing wrong in considering Geocentric orbits: Just like how you can say that the earth's moon is actually revolving around the sun.

The Srimad Bhagavatam has knowledge on all levels and is combined. Actually it contains the distances for the geocentric orbits of planets from Mercury to Uranus.

When planets orbit the earth they don't go round in a circle but rather a spiralling sort of motion - this eventually (over time) draws out a donut like disk around the earth.

In space everything is relative.

Hare Krsna

Mohn-krsna

Guest guest

No astronaut ever landed on the moon.