IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

Srimad Bhagavatam Question

Rate this topic

Haribol

2nd Canto , 9.10 states about Vaikuntha:

"In that personal abode of the Lord, the material modes of ignorance and passion do not prevail, nor is there any of their influence in goodness. There is no predominance of the influence of time, so what to speak of the illusory, external energy; it cannot enter that region. Without discrimination, both the demigods and the demons worship the Lord as devotees."

Can someone explain the bit about demons worshipping the Lord - what is the actual definition of a demon ? I always thought of demons as those who rejected the Lord.

Does this refer to souls that were demonic in their last material life but somehow (eg being especially killed by Lord Krishna as an act of mercy) accepted the Lord and were liberated ?

Hare Krishna

Mark

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

According to the Vedic scriptures, there are two kinds of people, Suras and Asuras.

Demigods and demons.

Demigods are those who worship Lord Vishnu, all others are called demons.

Haribol,

Yes, thats my query about this particular text :

" both the demigods and the demons worship the Lord as devotees."

I thought demons were the ones who did not worship God,

but it seems to state that in vaikuntha there are "demons" who do worship the Lord as devotees ?

For example:

Bali Maharaja was described as a demon king , if I remember correctly, but when Lord Krishna incarnated as a dwarf brahmana boy, and claimed the universe in 2 steps from him, Bali Maharaja realised that the boy was the supreme Lord, and surrendered to him by asking the Lord to place his next step on his head, which pleased the Lord very much.

So Bali Maharaja was a demon who eventually came to worship the Lord then - is this the meaning of this line?

Mark

hare Krsna.

The only means of speach is to talk about the supreme personality, Visnu - now i overstand the sense of all this. even putana the devil woman was killed by Sri krsna when sucking her breast.

sri krsna chaitanya ki jay !

i have been all my life god conciouss in diferent levels but now i see that, even taking count of all caracters on my self, nothing like being part of a party of pure devotees. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Then Putana enlist on the mercifull liberated souls, by meANS OF kRSNA.

then what are the diferences among the two kind of souls, Sura and Asuras.

That bali maharaja atains position on sutala planet of demigods, By the grace of Vamana dev.

There was a time when both suras and asuras were devoted to Lord Vishnu. That was in Satya Yuga. Then many of the asuras became averse to Lord Vishnu. Therefore the term asura now means one who is not a devotee of Vishnu or Krishna.

Someone who is born in a demon family may be a devotee of Krishna (e.g. Prahläd Maharaj, Vibhishana). Only the name of their dynasty is asura, the personality born in asura family still is a devotee of Krishna.

Any pure devotee who gives up his body is given a svarupa in spiritual world. That svarupa is similar to the svarupa they had in the material world. Sri Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur used to say that the svarupa of all these devotees in Gauda Lila is not different. It is the same. One who is lame right now is eternally lame in the spiritual world. But that lameness does not disrupt his devotional service for Krishna. Spiritual world is above the considerations of sura and asura. A person born in asura family may be a devotee of Krishna and may go back to Godhead and his svarupa will be asura. It is in this world that we call asuras as bad and suras as good. It may not be necessary. Some demigods or suras may also have bad qualities (which we have seen sometimes)... So these are simply names of dynasties - sura and asura. They donot apply to devotees of Krishna who are beyond all material considerations.