IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Shiva

Rate this topic

Lord Shiv is a demi god and he is the highest one and is known as Gods best devotee

What are your thoughts about Saivite Hindus who believe that Siva = God? For example, the authors behind the following website which seems to be as good a display of modern Savism as I've yet to see on the internet...

Hinduism Online

The teachings say in many places that Siva is a great great devotee of the Lord, but he is not the Lord himself. Indeed he is a truly great demigod though, but he is not KRISHNA himself so we should not worship him as such.

Haribol

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupad! I offer my humble obeisances unto him!

Lord Shiva has, according to the scriptures, has 58(somewhere around that number) opulances out of the 64 opulances. Lord Krishna has all 64 opulance-obviously He is the Supreme Lord so He has all opulance. but next in line next to Lord Krishna is Shiva.

Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada!I offer my humble obeisances unto Him!

As far as the number of opulances are concerned, I know Lord Shiva has 58 out of 64 and Krishna has all 64. But I havent read anything about lord Brahma or come across any Vedic text about this. Actually I dont know, the position of Lord Brahma in this regard. Also Lord Shiva emanated from the forehead of Lord Krishna. So, Iam not sure about Lord Brahma.All I know is Lord Brahma is the first created being from Narayana....so...not sure....Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

Haribol,

isn't the opulences argument from the gaudiya vaishnava scriptures (Jiva Goswami et al), not from the original Vedas/Puranas?

How would one prove Krishna's superiority without relying on the Gaudiya Vaishnava scriptures?

Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

From what i have read, it is not an argument but a description. Srila Jiva Goswami has given these conclusions after having studied the Vedic scriptures, and all the qualities he has given are from Vedic texts but maybe not in one place. From the sea of Vedic knowledge he has extracted the cream and presented in the form of sat-sandharbha and other books, so i guess we will have to do a lot of research to actually find scriptural evidences for all that he has given to us.

As regards the other question, there are a large number of references in Srimad Bhagavat puraana, Padma puraana, Brahma Samhita and of course Bhagavad Gita.

AUM SHREE-VISHNAVE NAMAH

One unsolicited advice, don't fall into plurality of the world, its but differet expressions of Him. Out of sheer Love. One is all. Its all Him. Love the lord. Don't deviate. Don't feed your mind, rest in you Soul, a part of that SUPREME.

Namo Narayanay.

Hari Aum Tat Sat.

Guest guest

I perfectly agree to your view. Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, et al are finite projections or images of one infinite lord. How can one projection be greater than the other?

Real spirituality is to get rid of "I" and "Mine". As long as we live with this "Mine" feeling: "My god is greater", we will be away from God. It is the sign of TOTAL IMMATURITY and MYOPIC VISION.

All said, one thing is for sure. There were, are and will be some people who say:

1) There is no God

2) There are many Gods and my God is greater

3) There is only one God in whatever name we call

The first 2 categories of people will always be accusing and quarelling whereas the 3rd category of people will be peaceful and will be moving closer and closer to God.

My sincere request to people who advice is: Don't advice that this god is greater and that god is smaller. You are only corrupting the world in the name of devotion or whatever.

Guest guest

Haribol. I remember Srila Prabhupada speaking in terms of percentages, and linking the math to the opulences.

If I remember correctly, Lord Brahma was listed at 78%. Lord Siva was listed at 84%. Lord Narayana was listed at 93%.

I had heard that Lord Narayana possessed all the opulences except four, which pertained to attracting the gopis. Lord Siva only had two less opulences than Lord Narayana, and Lord Brahma had four opulences less than Lord Siva, pertaining to ghastly traits reserved for annihilation.

In mahabharata, there is a nice story where Lord Siva acts as Guru to Lord Brahma. Lord Brahma was attempting to destroy his entire creation, but Lord Siva gave him good advice on how to control his emotions a bit.

good topic, ys, mahaksadasa

Lord Brahma is described as a devotee who is representative of karma-mishra-bhakti, or the level of devotional service that is still mixed with fruitive desires.

Lord Siva, on the other hand, is paradigmatic of a devotee who is tinged with the desire of knowledge, or gyana-mishra-bhakti.

Those who are on these particular levels of mishra-bhaktis will be attracted to these particular modes of service. Karma-kandis, or fruitive workers, are generally attracted to Lord Brahma (and the demigods), while the yogis and the gyanis are inclined to Lord Siva.

Hare Krsna.

-Gopalapriya das

Hare Krishna

The 64 transcendental qualities of Krishna (and others) are given in Nector of Devotion Chapters 21 and 22 -- http://nectarofdevotion.com ; the details of the scriptural sources of these must be in Bhakti-Rasamrta-Sindhu (which i have not read).

Lord Shiva is described thus in Brahma-Samhita 5.45:

"Just as milk is transformed into curd by the action of acids, but yet the effect curd is neither same as, nor different from, its cause, viz., milk, so I adore the primeval Lord Govinda of whom the state of Shambhu is a transformation for the performance of the work of destruction."

purport has more: http://brahmasamhita.com/5/45/en

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!Lord Siva is not KRISHNA but rather a expasion of Krishna.Lord Siva is the greatest VAISHNAVA .A great servant of the lord.Krishna is the eternal.Please read the nectar if devotion it states the only demi gods to worship are Saraswati Mata & lord Ganesh.Lord Shiva has control of the mode of ignorance Maya is his Shakti.But Sivaji should be honured as a great servant of Krishna.Haribol!!!!

Guest guest

Lord Siva is Maheswar = maha Iswara!

He is the Lord of the Lords!

Stop this demi-God aparadha towards Lord Siva!

Guest guest

Teachings also say that Siva is teh ultimate truth. He is teh Supreme Lord of all Lords!

You don't accept the teachings that praise Siva as the Supreme Lord!

That's it. Your choice.

We do! If you talk on scriptures, we talk on scriptures too!

And scriptures say Siva is the supreme God!!

He is no Demi-God

Om namah Sivaya!

Guest guest

Siva is the Supreme Lord. Demi-humans like yourself cannot understand his

Supremacy! Due to Siva's maya your minds are illusioned! Siva doesn't reveal himself to non-bhaktas!