IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

chanting problems

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm currently going through a changeable time with my expereinces in chanting.

Some days I can do 16 rounds, and I really feel good.

Some days though, like today, I just don't have the motivation to do the chanting. It's laziness. But here's the big question:

Should i chant even though I'm tired, even though I know I'm not going to be concentrating? Is it not better to do fewer rounds on these days, so that at least the rounds I do are with better concentration?

I also have dilemma with sincerity:

1) We must chant only to please Krsna. But how can we do something so selflessly without wanting anything in return?

2) On a subconscious level, aren't we all doing it for selfish reasons anyway? We know deep down that if we chant selflessly, sincerely, then we will get spiritual benefit. Is that not the reason we are all chanting? Otherwise it seems totally illogical that anybody would chant...

Also, how does one keep faith with the chanting... I went to a talk by a respected devotee from India, and he said that we will only see an improvement in 10 years...meanwhile how do you cultivate shradda? I though Krishna Consciousness is a scientific process - but how can it be scientific if for 10 years one has to chant, and hope that something will eventually happen?

I haven't actually chanted 16 rounds in one day yet. But I'm working my way up to that. It's not that I couldn't if I really but my mind to it, but I want it to feel natural and not forced.

And if you want to be so paranoid as to think that everything you want to do for Krishna is selfish, because in the end you'll be reaping in the benefits you shouldn't think like that. You should just focus and tell yourself that what you are doing is for Krishna and as a by-product of that Krishna will bless you for being in KC.

Forgive me for I am but a ignorant follower of the Lord trying to better myself.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

I find that when I start my rounds early, I can do 16 rounds pretty easily. I heard somewhere a Maharaja said he did 4 rounds before every meal, and some in the morning also i think. That way if he did not do his 4 he would not eat until they were done.

I think a few rounds are better than none. My TP said that I should set a number I KNOW I can do every day even if it is only 1 round, otherwise we do the 16 one day, none the next thing, and then pretty soon, there are more days with none than days with 16. KWIM?

Guest guest

but i know i can do them, but i'm just being lazy...

i've gotta improve...by waking up early etc..

recently i have lost a bit of motivation because:

- lack of association

- waking up late

- reading some disturbing things about child abuse in iskcon

i guess i dunno how to rekindle the enthusiasm...

Guest guest

it is the same for me. that is the bad thing about reading things online. how can we have a clean mind and pure chanting when we read these disgusting things from internet..especially about gurus etc. after reading all this , one will surely loose the taste for Krishna.

Guest guest

gaudya vasihnavism is there from 1496, many gaudya maths are there with pure devotees and masters.. some problems in the last 30years of iskcon math should not make us abandone japa mala

Guest guest

I think if you want to chant 16 rounds you should read books like Krishna, Gita, and Baghavatam..... also try to hear each and every word of the mantra...Also pray to krishna to give you strenght to chant 16 rounds... you can also read books like Art of chanting hare krishna by Mahanidhi swami and japa reform book...hare krishna...and dont give up just stick to it and you will develop a taste for chanting

Guest guest

Something that really helps me chant when I feel weary is to listen to tapes or compact discs of Praphupada chanting japa & chant along with those. I order them on-line at Krishna-com.

There is Only One Guru and that is Sirla Prabhupada. The others are supposed to teach the message of Prabhupada and under his guidance the Bhagavad Gita, KC.

No wonder there is Child Abuse by some so-called wannabe gurus. Krishna will never interfere in one's person life he only observe through the super-soul. Only a extermely great devotee of the lord will get a direct Intervention from the Superme Personality of Godhead.

Even thru i'm new to the Movement, My guru is Sirla Prabhupada and i Worship Lord Krishna. I even asked Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesh for direction to Krishna.

Om Namo Narayana

Hare Krsna

Hare Krishna Prabhu ji!!

Let chanting be very natural. Do not force yourself to overdo anything. It is like when you go to Gym you do not actually start with 4 sets of 10 repetitions of 200 pounds bench press the very first day. You go slowly and as you pick up pace you increase the numbers and thus develop the quality. I had the same problem. Because of my everyday busy schedule I could not find enough time to finish 16 rounds each day. Although I use to do 'em when I would get time. But the days I used to do 16 rounds I would feel energitic and fully charged and the day when I could not finish my 16 I would be very slow and all day long I would try to find out time to finish the rest. Any way then I committed myself to 8 rounds and I made sure that I finish my 8 right in the morning and while doing that I pray to Lord Krishna to create a situation where I could finish my 16 right in the morning. There is always a a possibility of improvement. The more you love Krishna the less is seems.

If you have Tulsi ma then chant sitting besides Tulsi and pray to Tulsi to bless you with Krishna's true bhakti then you will find Krishna getting closer to you on each name of Krishna that you sing/chant...."

Hare Krishna

BhaktiVikas