IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
GODSEED

Interested in Forming a Krisna-Dedicated Rock Band?

Rate this topic

I'M A 22 YEAR OLD BOY, AND INTERESTED IN FORMING A HOLY-DEDICATED ROCK BAND.

FOR TAHT I NEED TWO GUITARISTS,(ELEC. & BASS), AND AN ACOUSTIC DRUMMER.

NO PROFESSIONALISM REQUIRED, PRECTICE MAKES MAN PERFECT.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ALL THE PERSONS BE DEDICATED TO THE ABSOLUTE GOD, AND NOT MONEY MONGERS.

I MEAN IT.

I LIVE IN AHMEDABAD, INDIA.

Guest guest

my name is kapil..i live in an iskcon temple in scotland called karuna bhavan....our guru maharaj has formed a very successful rock band called the Gouranga powered band and he has produced many albums...if u are interested in hearing these please contact the temple president....Prabhupada Vani. our guru maharaj is HDG Bhakti Bhallab Puri Goswami

AUM SHREE-VISHNAVE NAMAH

FIRST OF ALL THANKS A LOT, FOR THE HELP YOU'VE RENDERED, MR. KAPILA. I THINK I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR ABOUT THE ROCK BAND THAT I DREAM OF IS THAT, WITH THE GRACE OF THE GOD, I HAVE THE POEMS WRITTEN UP. AFTER THE GOD AND RATHER IN THE GOD, AS HIS INDISPESIBLE PART, I SEE MUSIC. AND AS I, HEAR, MOST OF THE TIMES THE BALLADS FROM THE BANDS AS 'TOTO' AND OTHER ROCK STUFF, PLAYING WARM LOVE AND PHILOSOPHICAL BALLADS, I WISH OF FORMING ONE, GLORIFYING THE SUPREME LORD. AND AS I DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY ANYTHING AT A HIGHER STAGE, I SEEK SUPPORT OF THOSE BLESSED DEVOTEES, WHO KNOW TO PLAY SOME INSTRUMENT(S)AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHO HAVE THAT STRONG INCLINATION FOR THE SUPREME LORD. SO IF YOU COULD CONNECT ME WITH ANY OF SUCH GUYS, I WILL BE THANKFUL TO YOU. ONE THING FOR SURE, I AINT A RICH GUY OR ONE WHO CAN PAY THOSE BIG CHEQUES FOR THE CONTRACT THAT PROFESSIONAL BANDS SIGN UP. RATHER I HAVE NOTHING OF MY OWN, I LIVE ON MY DAD'S AND MY ELDER BROTHER'S MONEY.

HARI AUM TAT SAT

Guest guest

Hare krsna

This is really great, nowadays the youth are mostly fascinated and taken over by rock bands and music. I have couple of friends who have rock bands in the city where I live in, central india Nagpur. It will be a great job to form a Krishna core rock group.

Will like to have committed Krishna devotees as friends

Gauranga dasa 22m Nag

But unfortunately I don't live in India. The same idea has crossed my mind a few times. Although I'd probably just write all the music myself and hire a session drummer. But I do get a kick out of the fact that I have yet to hear a good Christian band, and I have yet to not like a Krishnacore band LOL. It's too bad 108 broke up, and Shelter don't seem to be doing much these days.

Guest guest

Christian bands that were good. Steve Taylor was excellent, and his "Meltdown at Madame Clousseaus" was a classic. Another "over the edge" group was "bash in di code", clashlike, excellent as well.

There were good Krsna bands, too, george harrison (of course) had all his songs going that way once he got away from the beatles.

About bands, though, the folks must be good, otherwise, why bother. Practice, do solos, look for open mike sessions that give public exposure (otherwise, youll freeze up if you play in front of others), and dont be afraid to do others' songs if the songs are worth doing. And if you do others' songs that are worth doing, dont be afraid to change them up to suit your stylee.

I did a reggae band, totally Krsna philosophy, and it worked well, non commercial, but had many folks chantin, and that is what is the only reason to form a "Krsna" band.

practice yer licks, get good equipment (which doen not necessarily mean expensive). A ten year old Ibanez Artiost with a ten year old Peavy Stereo Chorus, can be had for a few Cs, but if you cannot invest, then dont bother. Good plan you got, but read up on determination in 18th Chapter of BGAII, make sure you go beyond wishful thinkin.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa (retired axeman, founder of Ragad Ej)

Yes it's a great idea to practice and get good gear. But the attitude that it's so important to play live isn't so necessary in this day and age. That sounds weird to most people, how on earth can you have a successful band if you never play live? well, people do it everyday. I'll give the example of "Pagan Black Metal", I'd say a good 80% of the bands have never played a live show in their careers. That basic theory is that if you never see a band you really like play live, you can't ever be disappointed by the people. In turn it leaves the only contact you have with them is the music on record and the message that they get across in their music. So I guess that the same theory of not playing live could work for a band trying to get the message of Krishna Consciousness across.

Guest guest

What you say is correct. Didja know that the greatest rock band, the beatles, only played live for one year, then they were through. From 1964 to the End, the only time they played together was on the roof of apple records, where they performed for film Abbey road. All their great albums, like Sgt Pepper, revolver, the white album, yellow submarine, none of these had tours to follow.

But on the other hand, many live groups never produce records, and the greatest groups of all time only had one, like blind faith, big country, etc. Some of the greatest reggae stars didnt even have bands, but were DJs, and they are the true source for todays phenomenon called Hiphop. The founders of hiphop were folks like cutty ranks, rankin judy, yellowman, makabee, etc.

I always liked jammin with others, this is why I recommended open mikes. I came from a place where alcohol was not part of the trip, and I thought about the tasteless bar scenes when I published my advice above.

Hang with musicians, and influence them. I had great success doin this, bands always have the music, but need words. This is where a devotee axe grinder has a great tool for preachin, because he always has words to put to tunes. Like in BC once, I had a lot of rastafarians singin "Jaya Jagadisha Hare" for hours into the night. We were given great words for songs, there is no lack of words for songs, and Krsnas names can be sung from any tune from "This land is my land" (similar to Srila Prabhupadas trademark tune used in the bowery in 1966) to my old favorite (Guns accross the river-from pat garrett and billy the kid-bob dylan, the early hawaii ISKCON tune)

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

Hare Krishna, hopefully your rock and roll dreams come true. Toto is great, and using that style for songs dedicated to Krishna sounds like a brilliant idea. If is devotional then is not sense gratification.

An idea, what if we change the lyrics to the rock songs for Krishna related lyrics and keep the music from groups like Toto and Styx and Reo Speedwagon and Deff Leppard so we can turn sense gratification into devotional music. Of course requesting permission to the copyrights from the music owners.

Hare Krishna.

Actually I hate almost all rock music. What I personally want to do is do some sort of metal project, musically influenced by European Power Metal like Blind Guardian and Helloween, but maybe with some progressive elements in it too, like Dream Theater and Savatage. But of course the lyrics would be KC.

Guest guest

as well as other progressive new music works well with the vaisnava songs. A few by echo and the bunnymen and other older groups of the new music genre are also very nice.

I like dance hall reggae, cutty ranks and yellowman style. Makes for a fast type, almost bengali style (after the jamaican rastamons are descendents from both african as well as southern india slaves).

We should start a thread about the dreadlocks from India that ended up on the jamaicans.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

AUM SHREE-VISHNAVE NAMAH

HEY FRIEND,

THANKS FOR THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. THE PROBLEM I HAVE IN FRONT OF ME IS THAT, I'M ONLY MUSIC-LOVER. THERE IS THE LYRIC MATERIAL BUT THERE IS NO RHYTHM-BASED NOTATIONAL STUFF. WHAT I MEAN IS TAHT I'M NOT A SESSION GUY. I CAN'T WRITE MUSIC AND STUFF. I DON'T KNOW THOSE TECHNICALITIES OF MUSIC. I KNOW MUSIC AS THAT GIFT OF THE GOD THAT CALMES OUR MINDS AND RELAX OURSELVES AT HIS FEET. NOTHING MORE, NO NOTATIONS, NO CAPABILITES TO HANDLE EVEN A GUITAR. SO I'D BE THANKFUL TO YOU IF YOU CAN FIND A FEW NON-PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS WHO CAN HELP ME AND US TO DO SOMETHING 'BOUT K-ROCK.

THANKS FOR THAT ECOURAGEMENT AGAIN.

MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

HARI AUM TAT SAT

Guest guest

I have the Gouranga Powered Band's album "Mosher 6". I really like this album, and wondered where i could either buy more cds of this band or hear them play live.

I am an Irish musician travelling to India in mid Jan 2005,STAYIN FOR 3 MONTHS, ITS MY SECOND TIME TO VISIT. I have been living in New york for 10 years playing live & recording, I am interest in meeting anyone in India who would like me to teach guitar in exchage for K.C. teaching (or at least to hold philosophical conversation) I am a composer and sing well.

I should add that my study of Lord Buddha has brought me to Krishna !! ( I am new to it )

and being a big fan of the Beatles is a help as well

Cheers

Kevin Lynch

NYC

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

I am into krishna recordings, the top most. I record the Bhagavad-gita as it is in different languages.

Visit my website and listen to my recordings, free of charge.

www.gitamrta.org

AUM SHREEVISHNAVE NAMAH

DEAR JIGAR,

Having visited you website, I must congratulate you for such a nice idea and an innovative way to bless the 'wandering souls' of today.

May Krushn bless you.

But what, having heard the Emglish version of Bhagwad Gita, I found a little, rather negligible 'lacuna in perfection', which is that the translator is pretty much erring with pronunciations, that of, names and other Sanskrut terms. I, by no means, am trying to disappoint you for such a noble effort but just giving you a suggestion that, if this ground can be improved then it will be really good. For that problem, I could suggest you some Indian origin youth, or even a good call center employee, here in India.

The point 'pettifogged' above, is not a mistake, but pronuciation does mean a lot, especially in Sanskrut.

Nevertheless, let me, once again congratulate you for you

'Devotional' effort.

Thank You

Hari Aum Tat Sat

Guest guest

Hare Krishna you want to make a rock band?Are you serious.omg.I guess you can be like every other person .Where is the Tradition.A guitar is not a transcendental sound vibration .If yo feel you can do it than do it.But i prefer Traditional instruments cartels,sarangi,mrdangaa,tamboura."Jaya Srila Prabhupada"!!!Haribol Jaya NITAI GAURANGA!!

Aum ShreeVishnave namah

Kevin,

its good to read your mail, i'd certainly like to meet someone so keen to know his onw origin (Krishn). God bless ya, trust me. But what I must express is that, although I am, or wish to be His eternal mate or pal or devotee, I can 'teach' you anything. We can have a conversation, no doubt, but I'm not a Guru, who can guide you to the Eternity. I'm not disappointing you but showing and trying to tell you that, in the Lanes of Love for God, one must be very careful in selecting his Guru or even from whom to learn and what to accept. Having surrender to the God, there is no room for any fear or doubt, but I also want to meet you and talk about HIM, but please I'm qualified to be any guide or Guru. I can show you some Sacred and Dedicated Devotees, neverthless.

Having said all this, I'd certainly like to meet you, Welcome to India.

May your visit be successful.

By the way, I listen to TOTO, an LA band. and some other burning love ballads of other artists, ranging in Rock species like MLTR, SCORPIONS, a europop band LONDONBEAT, some burning numbers from Bryan Adams, and other few, besides some local artists like Kishore Kumar and Indian Ocean. Steve Lukather (TOTO guitarist) is one of my favorites for his Aching Guitar and painful rock stuff.

Once again, bye and welcome to India.

I want to create a rock band which would, without any professional approach, like a renunciator, teach the tenets of burning devotion between a devotee and his Origin.

Yourself being gifted with abilities to play guitar and singing, could serve the universe and jeevas or this planet, know their Real nature, May God bless you.

take care

Hari Aum Tat Sat

Guest guest

What are you thinking? God and religion have no place in Rock N' Roll!!! Totally the opposite dude! The most religious Guns N' Roses ever got was when they filmed inside a church for the November Rain video, other than that it was sex, drugs and Rock N' Roll all the way! If I have a religion then it's music and you trying to squeeze in your own ramblings about the world is just distasteful! I've heard 'The Gouranga Powered Band' and frankly the singing is awful! So bad in fact I don't even care what the guys saying! It's all too samey and is only saved by the sweet guitar playing which itself gets repetitve. Stick to preaching in your temples and away from the music that I so dearly love. Be happy with your material body you fools stop listening to some grumpy old man who was soooo cruel to Mr. Hennis ( I've read your 'divine grace's facts for life' book ). Oh and the fact that Vedas means knowledge doesn't make it as old as knowledge itself. A name is a name dude. I am not a religious man but I am also not angry at you and your religion because I don't understand. I simply disagree with it in general. Hope you see sense and create some sort of Rock band with a little hostility, I mean if your so unhappy with your material body then scream and shout and rave about it would you?! Oh and try and find a singer who can actually sing (It kinda helps). Good luck Krishna boyos!

Guest guest

hey,

wanted to know if there is any progress with the band thing.i live in hyderabad-south india. considerable knowledge abt music and can sing satisfactory.....could i be of any help? let me know pls.great idea. appreciate the move.

Aum ShreeHari: Naham

Hello NIdhi,

No, there has been no material progress in the idea. Basically I'm not a session guy, with HIs grace I do get some ideas when I make a beat in my mind, I've got songs written, I can sing also, not being the best, but what I need is 'dedicated people'. I dont want all that fame and name and stuff. Hey, would it be fair to make money in God's name?

I need guys who can take serious efforts to 'wake' people up and spread about the 'Silent Lover'. Who never tells other how much He loves all. I mean Krsn. We're all product of His unconditional Love.

I don't think its a money meanting machine. Can't seel my soul for some zillion $ contract.

So if you think you can be helpful, I'll be more than just thankful to you.

Thanks anyway. I had not been recieving any replies since a lot of time. God bless ya.

Take holy care.

Do reply

Guest guest

hi. Good to know ur intention is purely worship and none else. v cud work on it. u can keep me updated with ur ideas coz i am not very clear with them as yet.hopefully then i can let u know what kind of help i can offer. even otherwise nature of work is not a problem. all that matters is my involvement in getting closer to Krsna.

Jai Shri Krsna