IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Sanskrit to Hindi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Haribol,

Could someone with extensive knowledge of India History answer the following:

How did Sanskrit usage disintegrate? How did a whole Vedic empire suddenly collapse, and how did everyone suddenly abandon the Sanskrit language as their first language?

Thanks

Guest guest

can someone answer please?

its important because non-hindus will always say 'if this big vedic empire was so great, what made it collapse?'

Guest guest

come on, that doesn't explain why a whole language is disintegrated from usage...

I want to surrender to Krishna, but surely thngs like why Sanskrit is not used daily is important to know the history of our scriptures etc...

Guest guest

Well in the SB it is explained that in Kali Yuga men (read people) have short lives, poor memories and are slow. Sanskrit is a difficult knowledge compared to Hindi. Due to the influence of Kali yuga general people could no longer use the difficult knowledge since they had become slow and not so smart. Hope this satisfies you.

Guest guest

No Hindi came from Sanaskrit. Kind of a vernacular language. So did all other languages.

BTW, how does this help u become more Krishna Conscious?

Guest guest

kali yuga ia also the age of quarrels, wars, lack of understanding.. an effect is that, from having sanskrit language all over the world, gradually it was perverted in having now countless languages and dialects making us divided and enemies

Guest guest

How does it help?

Well, we are supposed to believe this massive Vedic empire was all over the world, and although there is some evidence to support this, it is so small compared to evidence of dinosaurs being around at the same time, for example...

How can one believe in Krishna Consciousness without addressing these anomalies that come up?

I don't mean to cause offence, but I am trying to strengthen my faith - I do the chanting, but there are other aspects of faith I need to strengthen, by asking questions and getting answers - because the ultimate aim is pure faith - but if there are doubts that is impossible...

Guest guest

although there is some evidence to support this, it is so small compared to evidence of dinosaurs being around at the same time, for example...

--the problem is not the dinosaur existence or neanderthal... prehistory is still there, if you go in amazonia you will find people living as the neanderthal man. The problem is when, in 6938 there will be an archeoligist who, makin some escavations at 100 km by manhaus he will find bones and utensils of the tribes and, wanting to push the evolutionistic concept, he will concoct an idea that in 2004 the earth was populated by abhorigens or neanderhal men. Then when he will go in manhaus and he will find tvs and computers he will discard these signs as mistakes of the machines to find the date of the findings

How can one believe in Krishna Consciousness without addressing these anomalies that come up?

--our problem is that we are conditionated to think that religion is a faith, but it is not true, a religion is a school, a long and hard school. So, as a medicine student is not requested to believe in the cure of the cancer that he will learn at the last university year before entering school, we are not requested to believe in something before starting to study scientifically and practice krsna consciousness. Belief is sentiment, feeling and his destiny is to be forgotten and abandoned at some change of mind, we, understood some basic concepts like that we are not the body and that god is a person and not only an energy, we are requested to study and gradually realize the truths, not to believe

I do the chanting, but there are other aspects of faith I need to strengthen, by asking questions and getting answers

--this is absolutely the right thing to do and it is also chanting hare krishna, speaking of krsna consciousness is kirtan like singing with mrdanga and karatalas ... go on in this way associating with devotees personally and in the web and (essential!!!) praying krsna to send you a pure uttama adhikari spiritual master to complete your education

Guest guest

I commend those who question and probe to strengthen their faith. I have read a lot of words here, but little encouragement or true response regarding the question at hand. I hope my words help.

First, there are numerous languages across the world no longer used in everyday life. This does not in any way detract from the greatness or breadth of influence of those languages. Yes, the Vedic empire was phenomenal - and Sanskrit has provided the basis for many languages, some words even influencing or becoming a part of modern day English. Religious texts have been written in Latin... how many fluently use Latin in everyday life? Like Sanskrit, although it is not in everyday use, it has greatly influenced spoken language(s) of today.

Human nature is of change, and language is an evolving process – essential to progress. Even in your own life (a small time span in comparison to the era of Sanskrit), how many new words have been created, meanings and pronunciations manipulated? How many words and phrases are no longer in use? As new situations and inventions occur, language must adapt and create to allow for communication of emerging concepts. The community where this language was born and matured was inundated with new situations and influences. Moguls and British, among others, ruled over the indigenous population for hundreds upon hundreds of years. One culture ruling another is bound to cause changes in language, culture, and perspective. For example, research where the word ‘pajama,’ (among many other words) came from – it has Sanskrit roots. Is there a word in Sanskrit for ‘computer’ or ‘typing’ or ‘telephone’ or ‘electricity’? Where does the concept of covering women’s heads come from? The Mogul rule influenced that out of practicality, and the British ruling (especially during the Victorian period) reinforced extremely conservative dress. If you look at the beautiful temples in south India, where many rulers did not reach, the carvings in the temple walls depict men and women who did not put such an emphasis on clothing. While I realize that these are all examples of culture, language is a product of culture, and language disseminates concepts of religion and faith.

One of the beauties of Hinduism is its fluidity. There are no Ten Commandments; there is no black and white. With that beauty comes the compromise that answers will not be "presented" easily to the curious mind. ‘Religion’ and ‘faith’ are not synonyms, yet they are not mutually exclusive. One is based on structured thought, another abstract thought, respectively. Both are necessary in the growth of the human condition. One must question and research the practices and philosophies recommended in Hindu texts to understand and strengthen the true beauty of the religion, and yes, faith.

Guest guest

I have read a lot of words here, but little encouragement or true response regarding the question at hand

--the answer essentially is that we are in an era of corruption and everything corrupts, even the sanskrit

Human nature is of change, and language is an evolving process – essential to progress.

---changement is very easy to see, if this changement is a progress or a regress it depends from moral, historic and religious valutations

One of the beauties of Hinduism is its fluidity.

--hinduism is simply an undefined concept... from this the lack of common and well defined principles that you call fluidity

‘Religion’ and ‘faith’ are not synonyms, yet they are not mutually exclusive. One is based on structured thought, another abstract thought, respectively.

--one thing is missing... school and practice. If you haven't school and practice, religion depends from faith

Guest guest

Since i originally asked the question, my faith in KC has increased a lot, so it doesn;t bother me as much...

However, as I try and spread KC to other students at my uni, I get these questions...

I tried telling them what u said, but they asked the following qns back (these are people who are truly interested in spirituality, they just have doubts at the beginning, like all of us):

With latin, the origin is obvious to see in almost every European language...with Sanskrit, there are some words that show origin, but why only a few? Surely, if the Vedic empire was everywhere, then the languages would be more heavily based on Sanskrit then we see today...

I would appreciate answers to that

Thanks,

Haribol

Guest guest

if you consider latin as the origin of european language, it will be very easy to see that latin (and ancient greek) are extremely close to sanskrit

i am not an expert at all, but i can write a good number of latin and greek words easily recognizable as sanskrit

but is is easy, when in the dictionary you find the definition "indoeuropean origin" it is like they are saying "sanskrit origin", this is because old language scientist believed in the famous and false arian invasion of india in ancient times

Guest guest

so the languages all came from sanskrit, just not in the way the British reckon (i.e. via an Aryan invasion from Europe - it's the other way round, Sanskrit spread from India everywhere, and then the empire got destroyed some time after Maharaja Parikshit died?)

Guest guest

or better, maharaja pariksit was the emperor of the world.. so the same culture, with the obvious variety of approaches, was all over the world

Sanskrit did not suddenly transform into Hindi, any more than Latin suddenly became Italian or Classical Greek turned into the language spoken on the streets of Athens today. Those of you who are in university, look at Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, which is what - 800 years old? The language is English but scarcely recognizable to anyone today except scholars who study it.

Guest guest

Hare Krsna brothers,

I think it is best if we stop about the methaphsycal and sprituality and concentrate on facts and not fictions. For a start, contemporary Hindi may have the writings of sanskirt but the spoken language is influenced by those colonized or invaded india. The muslims and Persians having colonized Indian for hundred of years will have a natural effect on the language. Hence arabic and persian did take precedence over sanskirt in those years (especailly in the most formal places). Anyway as with colonizers came the language and hence the interbreeding of sanskrit and arabic/persian thus Hindi was born. It has borrowings from from arabic such as, shukriya, maut, dunia....Basically those languages from the south such as telegu and tamil remain untouched largely by arabic influcences hence their language has "pure" sanskrit influences. Regarding the vedic civilization it ended with the gupta/maurya empire...

Guest guest

I am not a scholar or very well read person, but I would like to give it a go especially from the context of the Nuclear World War which took place over 5000 yrs ago, and doesnot find enough mention in the discussion forrum. I believe along with the answers given to yr Qn. the Kurukshtra War has a role to play for the distruction of the whole world order at that time and after that. Also, it is understood that after Maharaj Yudhishthir, Maharaj Parikshit took over the reigns of the World as the Vedic (World wide) King, and after him his son took the reigns. It is important to note that Mahabharat refers to Kings from Eastern Asia as taking part (Cina's for China etc.) and also the famous sage Atri (From Europe) visiting Bhisma while he was about to leave his body. It is important to note that the names of World countries and cities have Sanskrit roots even now. Example, Russia-Was Rus, and the people were called Rushis as meaning sages. I asked my colleague who is a Russian and he cinfirmed that they still call themselves Rushis and the country Rus, Siberia was called Shibir (Place where people come together) and even Siberian call the place Shibir.

Rome- Is pronounced by Romanianas as Roma, derived from Rama. There is actually a city diagnally opposite Rome called Ravenna from Ravana (Rams adversory). Names of all Countries England, Germany etc..are Sanskrit names. Read World Vedic Heritage by Dr. PN Oak, or Proof Of Vedic Cultures Global Existence by Stephen Knapp for these references.

Even the Christian Encyclopedia talks of people worldwide worshipping Vedic Devas like Varun, Mitra etc. who were forcefully converted to Christianity. The same is the case in Islamic Encyclopedia.

So after the Kurukshetra War, the whole world order was totally disrupted and leaders of the region lost their lives in the war. Education, Administration of the world ceased from the central leaderehip. And after the son of Maharaj Parikshit, the vedic empire started to disintegrate. And people lost touch with the antiquity, and advance knowledge. Also read Davamrut Swamis Book Searching for Vedic India, it will give you information about subtle weapons used by the so called advanced countries of today are nothing but reinventing the wheel. Hope this may satisfy your Qn some what.

In India, Sanskrit did not disappear on its own. It was the British who enacted Education Act. The Sanskrit Gurukuls were declared illegal. Grants were stopped. Pls go through Lord Mcalough's speech in British Parliament. He said that unless the indian education system is crushed, they can't rule India. Even now there are villages in India where ONLY SANSKRIT is the spoken language.