IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
guru

The Magic of Sixty-four Rounds

Rate this topic

The Magic of Sixty-four Rounds

Sri Chaitanya's Wish - Sixty-four Rounds

By citing the following verses, Bhaktivinoda Thakura and the previous acharyas have proven that chanting at least one nirbandha (sixty-four rounds of japa) will give one all perfection. In addition, Lord Chaitanya will personally take food from the hand of one who chants sixty-four rounds daily.

prabhu bole-harinama ei mahamantra, iha japa giya sabe kariya nirbandha iha haite sarva-siddhi haibe sabara, sarvaksana bala ithe vidhi nahi ara

"Lord Chaitanya personally taught, 'Please happily hear form Me the maha-mantra of Lord Krishna's names:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

'Everyday chant one nirbandha of japa of this maha-mantra, and you will attain all perfections. Chant at any time and in any circumstance, because there are no other rules for chanting.'" (Cb. Madhya 23.75-78)

prabhu bale-jana 'laksesvara' bali kare? prati-dina laksa-nama ye grahana kare se janera nama ami bali 'laksesvara' tatha bhiksa amara, na yai anya ghara

The Lord replied: 'Do you know who is laksesvara? He is someone who chants one laksa, or one hundred thousand holy names everyday. I call such a person a laksesvara. I only take meals in that person's house, no one else.' (Cb. Antya 9.121-2)

Sarasvati Thakura on Sixty-four Rounds

"Everyone living in the Gaudiya Math must make an effort to chant one lakh (sixty-four rounds) of holy names daily. Otherwise, different types of material attachments may creep in one's heart that will hamper one's devotional service. In fact, the Lord does not accept food offerings from one who does not daily chant one lakh of holy names per day and also perform his other allotted duties." (Art of Pure Devotion)

"The name should be chanted keeping a careful count. One should try to increase this to one lakh of holy names daily. Not being able to do so means one is simply 'fallen'. One should rise up from this state by chanting seriously." (Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura)

64 Rounds - The ISKCON Standard

Following the perfect example of his predecessors, Srila Prabhupada tried to introduce a daily standard of 64 rounds for his initiated disciples in the early days of ISKCON. The disciples responded to Srila Prabhupada's order with silence and astonishment. They argued about the shortage of time, and some flatly rejected saying, "impossible." Perhaps, this is the time when Srila Prabhupada uttered his famous quote, "Impossible is a word in a fool's dictionary." Out of compassion for his struggling followers, Srila Prabhupada relented, and reduced the minimum daily quota to sixteen rounds. And that became the standard for initiation in ISKCON.

But why should we just chant sixteen rounds of japa and stop? Who wants to be considered "fallen" in the eyes of his grandfather? Stand up and fight. Maintain the high standard of our exalted spiritual tradition coming down from Lord Chaitanya. The merciful Lord of love, prema purushottama Sri Chaitanya, is so easily offering all perfections for a mere few rounds in trade. By the movement of few fingers one can achieve the most valuable treasure in creation. The golden avatara of unlimited compassion, Lord Gauranga, is extending His soft sweet hand to eat from ours - purified by Tulasi's touch and a count of sixty-four.

Are we so lazy, fallen and foolish that we will let the divine magic pass us by while mumbling to ourselves, "Impossible! Impossible! Impossible!" Take strength from Sri Guru and Gaurahari and kickout the word impossible from your dictionary. The number of rounds "should be increased" from 16 a day, to 20, to 32 and then 64 per day. But never decrease the number of daily rounds. Sixty -four rounds is Mahaprabhu's magic number of peace, happiness and all spiritual perfection in love of God.

We should cry out to Krishna for mercy, and with great determination try to chant more and more and more. The instructions of Srila Prabhupada are eternal. At any time or place, or in any circumstance one can sincerely surrender and become spiritually empowered to fulfill Prabhupada's order: "You must chant 64 rounds a day on your beads."

Here is a brief history of the transition from sixty-four rounds a day to sixteen:

"In 1967 at San Francisco, Srila Prabhupada asked me [Mukunda dasa], 'What is your definition of Krishna?' I said, 'Krishna is God. He is the Supreme Being. Our duty is to worship and serve Him.' Swamiji [srila Prabhupada] seemed fairly satisfied, and then he said, 'You must chant sixty-four rounds per day on your beads.'

"I was shocked at this and could not answer. I did not know if there was any need to answer. I just kept looking at Swamiji, and he looked at me. After sometime he said, 'Or at least you can chant thirty-two rounds a day.' Still silence. I considered it to be ery difficult to chant even sixteen rounds. I was wondering how I could possibly chant thirty-two rounds. After some time, Swamiji said, 'At the very least you must chant sixteen rounds every day.'" (Srila Prabhupada Lilamrta)

Hayagriva dasa described the same incident in Hare Krishna Explosion: "Now that you have beads," Swamiji says the next morning, "you should chant sixty-four rounds everyday.Sixty-four rounds?" to pronounce every word of the mantra distinctly, we require five minutes to chant a round. Sixty-four rounds would take over five hours. "Impossible!" we say. "We'll never have time.All right," Swamiji says, "Thrity-two rounds.Impossible," we say. "We'll never be able to do it. It's a way too much.All right," Swamiji says. "Sixteen rounds. No less."

"We have our students to finish sixteen rounds chanting minimum. Sixteen rounds is nothing. In Vrindavana there are many devotees that chant 120 rounds. So sixteen rounds is the minimum. Because I know in the western countries it is a difficult job to finish sixty-four rounds or 120 rounds. The minimum of sixteen rounds must be finished." (NOD Lecture 20/10/72)

Some years later in 1975, Srila Prabhupada again mentioned sixty-four rounds while explaining the need to increase the daily quota of Hare Krishna japa.

Prabhupada: "then he should try to chant Hare Krishna maha mantra. Instead of sixteen rounds, sixty-four rounds. That is the way. Sixty-four is the minimum. Otherwise Haridasa Thakura was chanting 300,000 names daily. So you have to increase. That is the only remedy. If one has got determination, he will make progress without any trouble. That determination is very difficult, that "I must be Krishna conscious fully." (SPC 14/5/75)

Lokanatha: Some devotees have fixed a different number than sixteen. Some are chanting twenty minimum or twenty-five.

Prabhupada: Yes. It should be increased. But don't decrease; increase. Therefore one number is fixed. "At least this much I shall do." That is sixteen rounds.

Lokanatha: But you are recommending sixteen as a minimum, and some devotees are recommending twenty as a minimum.

Prabhupada: So who forbids? Who says that "Don't do it?" That is wanted. But because you cannot do it, therefore we have fixed up this minimum. Sankhyata asankhyata. Sankhyata means with a vow, numerical strength. And asankhyata means there is no limit. (SPC 10/11/75)

"The Krishna consciousness movement prescribes sixteen rounds daily because people in the western countries cannot concentrate for long periods while chanting on beads. Therefore the minimum number of rounds is prescribed. However, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura used to say that unless one chants at least sixty-four rounds of japa (100,000 names), he is considered fallen (patita). According to his calculation, practically every one us is fallen, but because we are trying to serve the Supreme Lord with all seriousness and without duplicity, we can expect the mercy of Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, who is famous as patita-pavana, the deliverer of the fallen." (NOI mantra 5 p.)

A Practical Approach to Sixty-four Rounds

Srila Puri Maharaja once gave the author the following practical advice on chanting sixty-four rounds daily: "It is not hard to chant a lakh (100,000 names or sixty-four rounds) a day. It only takes four sittings a day of two hours each! Listen, you get up at four a.m., chant till 6 a.m. and you will have done sixteen rounds. Then do whatever, like bathing, puja, reading and taking a little prasadam. Then sit and chant 16 rounds before noon. That is 32 rounds by 12:00! Then sit down two more times and finish 32 rounds by evening. So it's easy. You only need four sittings of two hours each to finish 64 rounds a day. At most it takes only eight hours to chant 64 rounds. You still have sixteen hours left to do other things.

It may not be as easy as the Maharaja says to chant sixty-four rounds every day. But whenever we get the time or situation in our lives where we can , then certainly we should try our best to chant sixty-four rounds of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra.

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

- Excerpts from Srila Mahanidhi Swami's 'Art of Chanting Hare Krishna'.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

I have just started chanting in the last few months. I am on 1 round a day at the moment - I have read the Bhagavad Gita and am starting Srimad Bhagavatam.

I was wondering how long it takes you to chant one round.

Also, is it acceptable to carry on where you left off if you are interrupted?

Where do u buy the special bead bag?

In terms of the temple, when are you allowed to actaully lead-sing a bhajan, and what are the rules about what bhajans you can sing in the Kirtana - can you have any bhajan about the pasttimes of Lord Krishna or Lord Rama?

I'm sorry about the questions, but I am new to KC.

Haribol

Hare Krishna

Krishna.com has a shop. They have the beads the bag and a cassette that teaches you how to chant. Almost every Hare Krishna Temple That I know of has these Items and more. If you are in NYC There is a wonderful temple in downtown Brooklyn and there is also a small one on 2 avenue in NYC. Boston, Mass Has a great shop on Com. Ave. If you need address and or more info please contact me at Dublindiva@hotmail.com or just check out the web and sure you'll find plenty.

Best of luck

Brynda

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

It is very good that you are chanting at least one round daily. my advice for that is, "never fall below your rounds", for if you don't chant one day, then it will be only easier to not chant on the next day.

I would have to say that chanting one round takes about 6-7 minutes, but if you are new to chanting, like me, than chant slowly, there is no need to rush through your rounds if you can't even hear the mantra clearly. start chanting slowly; speed will come as you chant more. also, try to increase your rounds--like one more round each week, or such, but never fall under your limit of daily rounds.

i would recommend that you start the round again if you are interrupted.

you can buy the bead bag from a website store, or a temple, or you can even create your own.

also, don't be sorry if you have to ask questions; without questions, there would be no such thing as caring about anything. also, it's the way we learn.

keep your faith in Krishna, and pray to Him to make your faith and love for Him 'unflinching' and pure.

Haribol. Hare Krishna

www.Krishna.tv

HARE KRISHNA

Here is a update of a wonderful learning way to chat

At www.Krishna.tv has a wonderful set that includes a string of 108 neemjapa hand-carved beads (japa mala), cotton carrier bag and counter beads instructions on how to chant the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and a tape of his DIVINE GRACE A. C. BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI PRABHUPADA chanting Japa,

Hare Krishna

Brynda

Guest guest

Haribol !!

i've increased my rounds from 16 to 32 last week... i've chanted 16 for one year now, day of my initiation. i'm doing the experience of 32. didn't even told my wife, she didn't even noticed.

i'd like to say it is possible. Also it takes me 3 minutes for one rounds approximatively... i don't think i'm missing words... i try to be concentrated... so about 50 mn or 1 hour for 16... in the day it is more difficult to concentrate, and i'm hiding from people.

Alos i've a pretty busy life at the time, a college internship far from my town, i take the train and stuff... so it is possible !!

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Why is there so much emphasis placed on this particular mantra. Is it not repetitive, and wouldn't it be more effective to sing songs (Bhajans or Kirtanas) about Krishna, that way you are learning more about His pastimes and what His activities are?

I find it amazing that one can chant 108 times in 3 minutes. Also, I have heard a CD of Sri Prabhupad chanting, and I am positive that he at least misses one or two 'Hare's at the end of each mantra.

I definitely am receiving benefit from chanting, but I have also changed my sleeping patterns, and also I have recently started eating fruit more regularly - why is the mantra so important when devotional service (i.e. spreading the name of Krishna) is the most important thing?

Again, I know you are all very committed to the cause, and I hope my comments have not offended you in any way.

Haribol,

Nimesh Mistry

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

how can you spread the love for the Name of God, Krishna, if you yourself don't have that love?

yes, chanting of the Lord's pastimes is very important, but:

harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam kalau nasty

eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha

"IN THIS AGE OF QUARREL AND HYPOCRISY THE ONLY MEANS OF DELIVERANCE IS

CHANTING THE HOLY NAME OF LORD KRSNA. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. THERE IS

NO OTHER WAY. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY."

sankirtana, the congregational chanting of the Holy name of Krishna

Haribol! Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Where does that quote (Hare Nama Kevalam...) come from again?

Haribol,

Nimesh

Guest guest

Sri Caitanya-cartamrta Adi-lila; Chapter 17; Text 21

TEXT

harer näma harer näma

harer nämaiva kevalam

kalau nästy eva nästy eva

nästy eva gatir anyathä

SYNONYMS

hareù näma-the holy name of the Lord; hareù näma-the holy name of the Lord; hareù näma-the holy name of the Lord; eva-certainly; kevalam-only; kalau-in the Age of Kali; na asti-there is none; eva-certainly; na asti-there is none; eva-certainly; na asti-there is none; eva-certainly; gatiù-destination; anyathä-otherwise.

TRANSLATION

“‘In this Age of Kali there is no other means, no other means, no other means for self-realization than chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name of Lord Hari.’

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

in the begginning stages one might find it repititive...you just have to stick with it and after a while if you make sure you try not to commit offenses a taste will develop. "If you chant water,water,water" you will never staisfy your thirst but if you chant hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare you will never feel tired. Try to chant in an enthusiastic mood and hear each and every word of the mantra. Try to be absorbed in it. over time you will develop an attraction for it by lord hari's grace. In regarding your comment of srila prabupada....he chanted in full devotion and some parts of the mantra he repeated were in his mind and some were out loud.That is why you can hear and misinterpret that guruji was not saying the full mantra.In actuality he was. You shuld try to chant as much as you can handle...slowly you will develop attraction

Yesterday I did 16. My best record is 32. 64 sounds great, hopefully one day I can do it.

By the way, since I found out that it takes 50 rounds before making love with a wife I've been feeling dizzy just imagining all this chanting... so when I see a beautiful woman and I'm wondering about the proper words to approach to her but then I remember that it would take marriage and fifty rounds... I get dizzy as if I were an astronaut in the moon.

64? Just to think about it makes me feel like an astronaut in Alfa Centauri or another galaxy.

Maybe now I'm ready to request a job in NASA. Maybe that's why they chose to become real astronauts, because somebody told them that they should chant 64.

Well, Hare Krishna.

A whole round in 3 minutes?! you must be like the Yngwie Malmsteen of chanting Hare Krishna. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

It takes me something like 9 minutes to chant a round, but I don't want to miss a word so I try to concentrate on it and probably end up taking more time that way.

Letter to: Mr. Saxena

--

Hyderabad

23 April, 1974

74-04-23

Jaipur, Rajasthan

Our principle is to become gradually purified by avoiding the four principles of sinful life, namely 1. no illicit sex, 2. avoidance of all kinds of intoxication, 3. avoidance of all kinds of eating of meat fish or eggs, 4. no gambling. And if one chants Hare Krsna Maha Mantra with a vow of at least 25,000 names daily minimum that will assure him all spiritual advancement. If you have time you can chant 100,000 times daily. I wish that you society's members may take up this vow; it is not very difficult.

I just felt tired 1st time I did it. But satisifed kind of you've reached your goal in life. Then I remember I did it for 4 days and 4 regs, I could feel myself smiling and being more happy. Natural process I guess. Chant & Be Happy.

I am so very clever, Good Job on chanting.

Good to know that you just accomplished 16 rounds for the first time. We are supposed to chant 16 rounds every day. Today I chanted 7, then I did some things like taking clothing to the laundry and having lunch and printing some working sheets for my job and suddenly I'm here in the Internet. It's 9:51 pm in the city where I live so what should I do, chant 9 more rounds to make 16 and then sleep or sleep right away in order to wake up early to chant 16 rounds in a row since early in the morning? I'll think it over on the way home. Hare Krishna, devotee. And all glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Dear Prabhus,

Please pray for me that I am able to chant 16 rounds every day.

Hari Bol!

Haribol,

I find it difficult to chant much quicker than 8-9 mins a round at best. I have been advised that it is best not to go too fast though in case one does not say the names clearly. Should one enjoy the names of the lord on the tongue as when eating prashadam one should appreciate it and not wolf it down without taking time enjoying Krishnas mercy ?

Unfortunately going slowly I doubt I will ever achieve 64 rounds while still in working/family life.

Is it better to sit still or walk about ? I do either depending on whether my back starts aching or much worse when very tired at the beginning or end the day I 'dive bomb' and fall asleep momentarily.

Incidentally I was told a funny story at Coventry temple by the temple president Haridas (my humble obeisance to him) about some devotees in Northen Ireland some years ago. They had been distributing books in very cold weather and had got back in their van and put the heater on to warm up and then fell asleep in the warmth.

They were awoken later by the bright lights of a British army helicopter and found themselves surrounded by armed troops pointing guns at them. The troops thought they might be IRA terrorists and wanted an explanation of who they were and what they were doing. The devotees explained that they were Hare Krishnas and said they had been meditating in the van - but one of the soldiers laughed and said " No you weren't - you were asleep!". The devotees had to admit that they had been asleep when they should have been chanting!

Hare Krishna!

Mark /images/graemlins/wink.gif