IndiaDivine.org
CaliOM

Is Shiva on Drugs?

Rate this topic

I am pretty new to Hinduism and doing my best to learn on my own. This can be hard without the help of an enlightened Guru, especially when most of the time I end up turning to the internet for help. For instance, I was trying to learn about Maha Shivaratri as it is coming up soon but I came across an interesting article. 

The article was posted on About.com in regards to Shivaratri. The article can be found here:

http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordshiva/p/shiva.htm

The article states that: 

"Since Shiva is regarded as a mighty destructive power, to numb his negative potentials he is fed with opium and is also termed as 'Bhole Shankar', one who is oblivious of the world."

I have never heard this before. Is this true? Does Shiva need to take mind-altering substances in order to maintain his temper?

Also, I read that some people take mind altering substances on Shivaratri. Is this true?

I would welcome any comments or additional information on this subject. Thanks.

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA!

Guest Dragan

Your article, and especially the title is very disrespectful, I think you should pray for forgiveness.

Guest chet bharti

Dear please, i welcome your question. i would like to make it know that God Shiva the creater+ observer + destroyer never took opium ... it is hemp which he consumed. According to my own experience 'hemp' if consumed in controlled quanity increases concentration in the field you are intrested. So consumption of hemp by Lord Shiva and His followers should be taken as for positivity.

This is my experience, my soul touched the scared feet of my lord shiva.... and i am not addicted to hemp.

with regards

Om Namah Shivay.

Guest chandra

Perhaps it is metaphor for what Moksha requires in release from Maya.  Also, at what level of Lord Shiva's Being do you refer.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Guest Cliff

This subject falls in line with what I have read on the subject,

Seems to me modern pharmacology could jive with the divine nature of the Gods divine inebriation and intoxications, the so called THC receptor ligand ( THC being one of the psychoactive components in Cannabis) is actually named Anandamide after the term anand or bliss ...

As well, Shiva's drug opium , has been found to have a very similiar connection with humans and other animals, in that many of the alkaloids that are biosynthesized in the poppy, are actually components of our nervous systems , implicated in far more than just pain perception, but satiety, mood, anti depression, learning, memory , and gene encoded in white blood cells to be produced in the bloodstream during sepsis to protect us from shock no doubt.

The divine poppy is INSIDE of us at all times, and will be found to be an important developing agent for fetal growth and protection from the fetus destroying its lungs trying to breathe amniotic fluids

These drugs and neurotransmitters are all based on the language of life many times, in that they are made from or mimic amino acids, protein building blocks of DNA RNA and other cellular processes.

As a young teen I was initiated into an experience in a dream that was more than just a dream, but rather an extended abduction, quite willing, by spirits associated with what westerners call bigfoot, and what Nepalese would call the Ban Jhankri, in that dream we travelled by caravan on the backs of woolly mammoths, to the Himalayas via magical methods, for months, inebriated on plants, divine sheets of floral blotters of LSD, both traditional AND modern drugs.

Shiva isnt the only one, look into the subject of Soma and Indra, Haoma , and the Mayans gods of inebriation, the Gods of many cultures, including the anointing oils of Jehova are influenced by the natural world as much as they create the natural and so called unnatural world

With endo-entheogenic reality, one doesnt HAVE to partake of exogenous substance to commune ( I do ) as one is already and has always been so

No shiva is not on drugs, and although in the form of Rudra and bhairavar he is depicted as being angry this is really just an expression of his power for destroying demons/asura's. Lord Shiva is a loving God who cares for his devotees like a mother because he is inseprable to his shakti-energy which is Parvathi. Shiva will never be angry at his devotees and will only love them and bring them on the right path. I have not heard of people offering him opium but I know that in some places in northern India he is offered cannibis. Although all mainstream Guru's, Priests, and Devotees believe intoxicating substances are harmful (this is why most hindus dont drink) there are many Sadhus who smoke cannibis daily and being devotees of shiva offer it to him. No shiva doesn't need to have his anger cooled because he is the creator of the Universe even if he did have a temper offerings of opium wouldnt do the trick, these are just gestures of devotion which are meant to show love for the Father! Im posting a link to a beautiful free downloadable book that tells all about shiva and his attributes published by the creators of "hinduism today" magazine. 

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/dancing-with-siva

Guest Tushar

I am a practicing Hindu. And this is the first time I have come across this myself. Having said this, Hinduism is the worlds oldest unorganized religion- which means- there is no one book or one literature that is canonical. And that means- any person who considers himself an authority can add/ subtract any story as per his own spiritual values. I have heard of other whimsical traits of thee gods too.

Now- having said that, being unorganized- also means, that you can choose and pick parts of the religion that are appropriate to your spiritual tendencies... openly rejecting the others without inviting the ire of other Hindus. ( coz this is what they are doing too- cherry picking).

The bottom line in Hinduism is- just as every individuals personality is different, so is his or hers spirituality. Therefore, one set of spiritual rules cannot be suited for all. Religion should be tailored to your individual spiritual level. Once you grow out of one set of 'truth' , ie once you grow spiritually... You can discard the previously held 'lesser truth' for a higher level of truth. ( for eg- transcending idol worship to worship of a personal god, and then, later... transcending the personal god to accepting god as an impersonal entity)

If you are a western and wish to learn more about Hinduism, I suggest you google for 'the Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies' . This is the link-

Cheers.

Guest Hari

Om Namah Shivayah,

Under the scriptures perspectives, Therea are two foundation s to the absolute truth, one is advaita and another is duvaita. Under the advita's philosophy, Lord Shiva is formeless, He is without beginning or end, omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. He is without time. Therefore, he is worshipped under the lingga form with two tatwas (shiva or male and Sakthi or female). If you notice the entire universe has two tatwas together. Therefore no drugs is necessary for such a wordless consciousness. On the other hand under the duvaitas philosophy, Lord Shiva exist in a human form. However, the other features are the same as advaitas believes for many devotees. Still, no drugs are necessary for the personality of godhead. Eventhough there are many forms of gods available, saints and scholars have narrated that the consciousness are the same despite of many forms. For example, you may view different bulbs radiating with different colours, the electric current is one and only all the bulbs. Advaitas prey to the current and duvaitas prey to the bulb. Both are actually refering to the same. That is why the religion is called sanatana dharma. It absorbs all the rightful teachings that rediates unconditional love to the almighty, humans and all other living being irrespective of cast, religion, country or believes. Above are my humble one cent view of the wordless Lord Shiva which is the destroyer of ego/ maya that leads to salvation which allow us to escape from viscous life cycle.

Guest Guest

vannakam,

dear friend,

any of you has related articles about veerabhadra beej mantras..?

regards.

Guest rakesh

dear brother,

veerabhadra beej mantra :

Bhairavam Bhairavakaram Bhadram Bhadreshwaram prabhu

Rudram rudraganadheesham veerabhadra maham Bhaje....

Guest Yogi Thakur

Pranam

Accepting the topic which is general in nature after reading the mythological books but no one seen that Lord Shiva is taking drugs.

Within short, yes he use to the drugs and that is meditation. No Lord use to be always in meditative condition which the Lord Shiva. These are all inner essence and only the meditation can revealed to you. 

Guest Ganeshanand

Please.... God has no need of anything of the material world--much less drugs. People desperate to excuse their own addictions and avoid personal accountability will grasp at anything to justify their addictions... even blasphemy....

Guest Omesh

Dear Friends,

I have also heard some people saying Lord Shiva take drug but my heart never believe it then I went for a research where I discovered the following;

Lord Shiva never consume opium.. Infact when Shiva meditate his mind is in such apeaceful condition which is similar to a person has consumed opium

or 

while meditating on Shiva our mind become to such a peaceful state similar to someone has consumed cannabis.

i.e theusing drug has been taken as a synonym to indicate the our state of mind when we meditate to Lord Shiva..

Please pass this knowledge to all

Thank you to everyone for their honest responses. They are much appreciated. 

First off let me apologize to anyone who I might have offended. I never meant any disrespect towards Lord Shiva or any of his devotees. I know the title, "Is Shiva on drugs?" was direct, but you have to admit it got your attention. 

With regards to the subject matter my wishes were to address it with legitimate concern and an academic mind. The subject is extremely personal to me as I have had trouble with drugs in the past. Therefore, you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon the article in question. 

Because I am fairly new to Hinduism I want to make sure I am getting my facts straight. From what I can discern it sounds like there are Shaivites who take marijuana on occasion during religious ceremonies/rituals with the understanding that it is a holy plant, sacred to Lord Shiva. However, it would seem that there are others who completely denounce the use of mind-altering substances as a spiritual practice. I believe that both practices have their place in religion. They are certainly not new concepts and have been happening for thousands of years. 

For myself, I choose to abstain from mind-altering substances given my past and personal beliefs. Thankfully, your responses have only reaffirmed those practices for me in my life, and for that I am grateful. 

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA!

Guest Dipali

Shiva is a spirit. He has no form. We have visualized him in that form so how can he need anything. He is not human with needs. Since we believe. he lives in the open on a mountain he needs to be protected from cold so different things found in the area are offered. He is innocent because he accepts everything offered to him and doesnot get angry but when people become very selfish and go against nature he brings destruction to teach people to go onthe path of truth

Guest Ganeshanand

As for the matter of the mind, Sanatana Dharma/Yoga concerns itself with controlling the mind and dispelling maya/illusion. The very nature of marijuana is to create distortion and illusion; hence, the use of such drugs is counterproductive and is to be strictly avoided.

As for the plant being “holy,” the Divine resides within “all” that exists.  :redface: 

Guest Ayyappan

Om namah shivaya

Blessings to u as u had started practising Hinduism.only religion to be tolerant & withstood tough times for 10000 years.

There are some books I would recommend reading to get a better idea of Hinduism.

The Concept of Rudra Shiva throug the Ages by Mahadev Chakravarti

Religious Doctrines in the Mahabharata by Nichols Sutton

A History of Indian Literature, Vol. 1 by Moriz Winternitz

The Triumph of the Goddess by C. Mackenzie Brown

Devi Mahatmya by Thomas Coburn

Hindu Goddesses by David Kinsley

All of these books are available for sale on Google. The Triumph of the Goddess should be available for sale but some books published by SUNY have been taken off of the Play store but this has been in error. However, it has been a pretty long while and Google has not put them back up for sale yet so I don't know when they will, but I was told by SUNY that this was an error.  Studying Hinduism academically will give you a deeper understanding of the religion and these books mentioned above are not that abstract.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the use of mind altering substances has been done in ancient cultures and Shamans still do it. You can look up Bhang on Google. Soma used to be used in India but no longer. You can also look up the Ambrosia Society.

The thing is, what we know about the gods is based on mythology, although the gods may have briefly appeared before some saints in the past. When you look at many of the ancient cultures, there were mythologies about the gods, for example, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Celts, the Norse. I just recommend researching this on Google Books if you want to learn more. Look up the book Atlantis and the Cycles of Time by Joscelyn Godwin if you want to be exposed to some alternative ideas about ancient history. If you look at some of this kind of literature, you will see that some say the gods once walked the earth during civilizations before recorded history. The Hindus hold a cyclical view of history and there were supposed to have been ages before the Kali Yuga. You can find a similar idea in Hesiod and Ovid. The Kali Yuga is supposed to be the most degraded age. Just be critical if you read any of that kind of literature, but it is interesting to be exposed to.

Here is another (out of copyright) book that has good introductory information on Hinduism. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=2x0AAAAAQAAJ

Other old Indologists you could look up are Monier Monier-Williams, T.W. Rhys Davids, and F. Max Muller.

Just to let you know, when you do a search on Google Books, if you go the "search tools" option, you can select what kinds of books you want to search for, such as out of copyright books or books that are for sale.

Guest Ramji

When one meditate deep-mindedly, he/she will be elevated to a stage where no worldly matters bind on them. They will dance, weep, laugh, and act as intoxicated. Those who cannot meditate by mind (ther term, mind itself is a subject for clarification) use these such things and justify themselves with these stories. It is not 'Hinduism'. Hinduism is "Know thyself" "come closer to God by serving his creations by thoughts, words and deeds".

Guest Ramji

Hinduism is nothing but "know theyself" - the real YOU.  Come closer to GOD by serving his creations by thoughts, words and deeds.