IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
puppyluv07

Can you be both Buddhist and Hindu?

Rate this topic

It would take some serious re-forming of either Buddhism or Hinduism to do that, seeing as they have conflicting views on the self (anatman v. atman) as well as a generally different viewpoint on god.

I would generally say, no. You cannot be both Buddhist and Hindu in their classically defined ways.

My advice would be to ask yourself: Why do you want to be both Buddhist and Hindu? What does one have that you like, that the other cannot offer you? See where you lie on important issues like the soul (and if you think it exists), god (and if you think god exists), and things like this.

Then I hope you will come to a clearer answer about whether you are Buddhist are Hindu!

Can you be both Buddhist and Hindu?

Namaste,

I think you will find varying opinions on this one. My sense of it is that Hinduism encompasses every religion, but every religion does not encompass Hinduism. So many Hindus might well tell you, Yes, you can most certainly be both. However, Buddhists might disagree. I can't answer from a Buddhist standpoint, though. Anyone else?

Though rituals are different in Buddhism and Hindu dharma, dyanam and attaining peace are same in both religions. You be in the religion what your parents has given you but practice the best in both the religions. For example, I am a hindu and still like the meditation techniques of Buddhism like vipasana. Which enables me to control my emotions and feelings.

I hope this helps you.

Sarvejana Sukinobavanthu.