IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest chr1st0ph3

Growing Tulsi in the UK

Rate this topic

Guest chr1st0ph3

Hello beautiful moderators :) I can't seem to find an appropriate room to post this in, if you find one that is more appropriate could you please put it there :) I'm currently growing Tulsi from seed - you will all be pleased to know my baby Tulsi triplets are 6 months old tomorrow. Here in the UK the weather is pretty different to India, but I do know they are grown here and that they have lots in the hindu temple in Watford. Are there any memebers here please in the UK who are growing Tulsi so I can compare watering plan? :) Even though I have had them 6 months I'm still a little confused cause sometimes they seem to need, then they can show sigs of overwatering so now I am sticking to once a week. I called the temple in Waterford and wondered if they could tell me what they do with theirs, and I must say the lady was not very helpful, she said that the 'tulsi devotee was too overburdened to speak to me' on the phone lol - she must have a lot of Tulsi!

Anyway if not, any advice would be greatly appreciated they are doing well - I just want to have top condition Tulsi babies :) And would be nice to find someone else in the UK who is also growing them. I'm going home for Christmas and New Year so I'm worried they're going to get cold in my kitchen too as its normally like Jamaica in there as my oven is always on :) Is there a tulsi mantra or song that I can play them? hehe When they were just seeds I used to play the om on my iphone and leave it above the tray :) I love my wee Tulsi's :)

Thanks and Hari ommmmm in advance

Kleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem :)

Hello.

Tulsi should never be overwatered. To test, use a finger and scratch away the top bit of soil. If it is dry then you should water. If it is very dark in colour and feels moist then it does not need water.

It is best if the plant gets full sunlight and the soil gets warmth. Any sign of a cold temperature will put the plant into a mini hibernation and it will start to get brown and leaves will drop off. You will then have to wait a few months for new green shoot to appear.

Any sacred sound can be played to Tulsi- they will respond to sound as well as peoples thoughts so mindful of thoughts. I find that placing crystals around the tulsi will boost the energies around the plant- quartz clear crystals charged in the sun are best. Zakti-mani are amazing energy orbs that you can also place near the plants- but zaktimani are almost impossible to find so quartz crystal will be okay.

Feeding- yearly feeding is all that is needed-liquid fertilizer is best. I feed in feb/march over a period of two weeks-a little each day.

Good luck!!

Hi there,

I too am trying to grow tulsi here in the UK. Did you manage to grow tulsi in the end, seeing that the post is about 10 months old.

I brought a 3 month old tulsi plant from india this time and have kept it indoors, near a south facing window so that it gets sunlight plus I have bought a 6500 Lumen 13 w CFL lamp, on for about 16 hrs. It is growing new leaves, but leaves remain very small and die out. Not sure if it is due to temperature, humidity, light or over watering. :) (quite a bit of factors there)

anyways, let me know how yours went.

Thanks