IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
AJTolb

Converting to Hinduism

Rate this topic

Hello all - Namaste,

I'm an American college student currently. I was born into a Christian family, but we never attended church or prayed. I never thought of myself as a religious person either - I knew I had a relationship with a god, but never chose to explore it further.

I recently visited a Hindu temple and was explained some very basic principles of Hinduism. The temple I went to was beautiful and I felt a connection unlike any other while I was there.

Since my visit I have dove further into researching Hinduism. I have started reading an english translation of The Bhagavad-Gita and I continue my research on the Supreme Being and adherence to Truth, dharma, and karma.

What I want to know is what else should I be doing to immerse myself into this lifestyle? I want to begin praying and working on my relationships with the Gods, but I simply do not know where to begin!

Thank you all so much!

- Alex

My dear friend,in HINDUISM there is no question of conversion.It is the basic religion and forms the basis for other religions.I strongly believe that all the starters of other religions simplified some principles of hinduism and preached but they never said that this will be a different religion.I studied bible and quran upto some extent and I found that hindus,christians and muslims have same beliefs and same gods with different names.Hence I suggest that you just keep on visiting the place you told and just chant the name of your favourite (single) god.That's what I follow and suggest anyone.You post any kind of doubt that arises in you so that both can learn.

Yes, AJ, Hinduism accepts converts. There have been many throughout the centuries. I would recommend the book "How to Become a Hindu" if you're serious. From your words, it seems you're already a Hindu, but would like to acknowledge it.

Dear Alex,

Hearty Greetings..You are very blessed being in deed. In the form of Bhagavad Gita, you have found the Gem of Gem. It is Nectar of Vedas. I am prety sure, with your endeavours, you will be able to find the eternal truth.

As regards your question about how to work on your relationship with God, you will find that Lord Krishna explains this beautifully in Gita. The relationship with God is possible in different ways. According to your attitude (prakriti) you will be exposed with different ways. When you have predominent feelings of love, the way would be Devotion (Bhakti). When you intellectually try to know God, you will be on Knowledge path ('Gyan') and when you are actively perform your worldly duties, you relate yourself with God in Karma way.

Every one, knowingly or unknowingly, is moving towards union with God in this combined manner (love-Knowledge-Karma) every moment. However, going ahead purposefully has its own beauty. Now, you are in the right hands and the responsibility of your Welfare lies with God. You only need to keep doing your best.

There are certain limitations with the present form of Hinduism. In your quest, it is likely that you knock the wrong doors. There are many fake godmen with the Hindu flavour, too. However, since your mind is not conditioned with the religious stuff, I am sure you would not fall prey to blind faith. Be watchfull on not losing your 'commonsense'.

Keep going.. and draw your own curriculam to go ahead. You should have a broad blue-print so that you don't get lost on the way. Your inner spirit knows well what is best for you at every stage of your evolution. Let me know if you wish to know more. I will try my best to share things with you and in a way, learn through it.

assalamu alaikum

as far as i remember,

hinduism has nothing called convert like abrahamic faith.

if u believe in hindu phelosophy and lead yourself as hindu faith says then you are a hindu,its about your way and faith.

but there is no need to convert either. because hindus belives in a theory(tought in our schools),

"there are many munis(/wise people), rishis(/prophets) but all lead to the same God"

it acctually mean it doesnt matter which path/way/religion you are following all will end up to the same Almighty.

we are taught

"Every religion is truth and behind every religion there is God"

so if you follow christianity correctly then heaven is yours.

Allah Hafez(Allah/God is the protecter)

Hello all - Namaste,I want to begin praying and working on my relationships with the Gods, but I simply do not know where to begin!Thank you all so much!- Alex
Hello Alex you start with chanting of OM, you should go to that temple and sit there calmly and chant OM as much time as you like. Om is very basic and natural sound of universe. You will feel very calm in yourself

assalamu alaikum

as far as i remember,

hinduism has nothing called convert like abrahamic faith.

if u believe in hindu phelosophy and lead yourself as hindu faith says then you are a hindu,its about your way and faith.

but there is no need to convert either. because hindus belives in a theory(tought in our schools),

"there are many munis(/wise people), rishis(/prophets) but all lead to the same God"

it acctually mean it doesnt matter which path/way/religion you are following all will end up to the same Almighty.

we are taught

"Every religion is truth and behind every religion there is God"

so if you follow christianity correctly then heaven is yours.

Allah Hafez(Allah/God is the protecter)

Mr. sadmim hossain, Salutes.!!

All religions need to sensitize this value of respect for each other. This is the call of the day. I liked your response. May this spread throughout the world.