IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gan-sh

Help with the lyric of Ganesh Mantra

Rate this topic

Hello, I will wish if some body can help me and can give me the lyrics of the mantra call Ganesh Invocation... I listen this in a disc of Craigg Preuss, i think that is the name of the singer...

The you are talking of may be the following verse from the Veda:

Om Gananam tva Ganapati gum Havamahe. Kavim Kavinam Upamasra vastamam. Jyestharajam Brahmanam Brahmanaspata anasrnvannutibhissida sadanam

I would direct you to ensure you hear the authentic pronunciation when listening to Veda mantras. Singing or mispronouncing them will lessen the benefits of the mantra. Search on raaga.com. There are many fantastic versions of all mantras in their Sanskrit section.

Good luck

MY

Let me share a story I read in one book on Mantra Shastra. A pandit from Germany was offering this mantra in Banaras temple. Listening to him, a few hindu pandits who were sitting by, did not stop laughing. The German politely submitted before them and asked if he is uttering the mantra in a wrong way. The pundits brought a woodan plank and sand. The German scholar was asked to recite the mantra and at the same time lowly letting the sand down from his feast. The German did it. The sand from his feast dropped on the wooden plank placed on the ground. Then it was the turn of the hindu priests, one of them recited the "Gananam...tvam.. " mantra and the German was again asked to let the sand drop from his feast over the plank. The German was ashtonished as he saw Ganeshji's image formed on the plank. It was explained to him that the difference lies in Aroha and Avaroha to be followed during reciting every Mantra.

So, the pronunciation has to be acquired from a living pundit. You can get it from Ragaa etc. they can be beautifully sung but they cannot be said to be scientifically sung.