IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Stillness is the only thing needed to realise that I am is God

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONEGODWhile explaining to an American lady, Bhagavan said:The Self alone is Real. All else is unreal. The mind andintellect have no existence apart from you. The Bible says: `Bestill and know that I am God'. Stillness is the only thing neededto realise that `I am' is God.Later he added:The whole Vedanta is contained in the two Biblical statements`I am that I am' and `Be still and know that I am God'. 1For one who found Self-enquiry too difficult, he wouldrecommend worship and submission.Devotee: What should one think of when meditating?Bhagavan: What is meditation? It is the suspension of thoughts.You are perturbed by thoughts which rush one after another. Holdon to one thought so that others are expelled. Continuous practicegives the necessary strength of mind to engage in meditation.Meditation differs according to the degree of advancement ofthe seeker. If one is fit for it one can hold directly to the thinker;and the thinker will automatically sink into his source, which isPure Consciousness. If one cannot directly hold on to the thinker,one must meditate on God; and in due course the same individualwill have become sufficiently pure to hold on to the thinker andsink into the absolute Being. 21 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 338.2 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 453.