IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Dining out-rant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I too think it is yuk but would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, December 05, 2005 8:02 PM

Re: Re: Dining out-rant

Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that lovely flavour of cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver!

The Valley Vegan.............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

HI NikkiShe knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only threepeople, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.Jo-"earthstrm" Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM Re: Dining out-rant> I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may> not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.>> Nikki

Guest guest

I do understand wat you are saying, just dont get how anyone can eat meat stew with the visible lumps taken out, and try and justify it as vegetarian/vegan. The Valley Vegan...................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I too think it is yuk but would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three? Jo ----- Original Message

----- peter hurd Monday, December 05, 2005 8:02 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that lovely flavour of cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver! The Valley Vegan.............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: HI NikkiShe knows that - but she

says she is buying enough meat for only threepeople, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.Jo-"earthstrm" Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM Re: Dining out-rant> I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may> not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.>> Nikki

Guest guest

sorry..i don't see it that way at all..i see as she's fooling herself and

pretending

thats the way its presented anyways...

and, no one is perfect jo..i've never ever ever said that

personally..the thought of what she does churns my stomach...

if yer not gonna eat meat, then don't eat meat..if you are..are......

does she claim she is vegetarian?

jo <jo.heartwork

Dec 5, 2005 1:15 PM

Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you missing the

tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people have to be

perfect in

your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

> umm

> yeah

> i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Dec 5, 2005 10:41 AM

>

> Re: Re: Dining out-rant

>

> HI Nikki

>

> She knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only three

> people, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.

>

> Jo

> -

> " earthstrm " <earthstorm

>

> Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM

> Re: Dining out-rant

>

>

> > I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may

> > not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.

> >

> > Nikki

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

No she doesn't claim to be vegetarian. She says she doesn't like to pay for

animals to be killed, so she doesn't buy meat for herself. She buys enough

meat for the other three in her family and they eat the meat. She doesn't

eat the meat. I agree it is yuk, but she is not buying meat for herself, so

she must be doing a little bit of good by anyone's standards.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Monday, December 05, 2005 9:29 PM

> sorry..i don't see it that way at all..i see as she's fooling herself and

pretending

> thats the way its presented anyways...

>

> and, no one is perfect jo..i've never ever ever said that

>

> personally..the thought of what she does churns my stomach...

>

> if yer not gonna eat meat, then don't eat meat..if you are..are......

> does she claim she is vegetarian?

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Dec 5, 2005 1:15 PM

>

>

> Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you missing the

> tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people have to be

> perfect in

> your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

>

> Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

>

>

> > umm

> > yeah

> > i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

> >

> >

> > jo <jo.heartwork

> > Dec 5, 2005 10:41 AM

> >

> > Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> >

> > HI Nikki

> >

> > She knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only three

> > people, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > " earthstrm " <earthstorm

> >

> > Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM

> > Re: Dining out-rant

> >

> >

> > > I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may

> > > not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.

> > >

> > > Nikki

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

I don't think she justifies it as vegetarian. She just says she doesn't like eating animals, so doesn't buy any for herself. She doesn't see any point in wasting gas/electricity cooking separate meals.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, December 05, 2005 9:21 PM

I do understand wat you are saying, just dont get how anyone can eat meat stew with the visible lumps taken out, and try and justify it as vegetarian/vegan.

The Valley Vegan...................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I too think it is yuk but would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that lovely flavour of cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver!

HI NikkiShe knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only threepeople, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.Jo-"earthstrm" Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM Re: Dining out-rant> I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may> not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.>> Nikki

Guest guest

its not connecting with me..at all

so i'm just gonna gracefully keep quiet on it...

cheers jo Dec 5, 2005 2:21 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

I don't think she justifies it as vegetarian. She just says she doesn't like eating animals, so doesn't buy any for herself. She doesn't see any point in wasting gas/electricity cooking separate meals.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, December 05, 2005 9:21 PM

I do understand wat you are saying, just dont get how anyone can eat meat stew with the visible lumps taken out, and try and justify it as vegetarian/vegan.

The Valley Vegan...................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

I see that the person making the stew did have good intentions, and good

intentions are

always worth it. However I don't see how this person calls themself a a

vegetarian (or have

I got the wong idea)? In the days before overconsumption overwhelmed the western

world,

a meaty bone, or maybe just a bone was put in the stew pot and boiled up with

the

veggies. Then it was taken out and discarded, I suppose some people still make

stew this

way. Would anyone eating such a stew say they were vegetarian?

, " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I too

think it is yuk but

would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three?

>

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Monday, December 05, 2005 8:02 PM

>

>

> Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that

lovely flavour of

cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver!

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> HI Nikki

>

> She knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only three

> people, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.

>

> Jo

> -

> " earthstrm "

> To:

> Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM

>

>

> > I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may

> > not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.

> >

> > Nikki

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Susan

So which one did you find that you liked?

Nikki :)

, Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

>

> Yes, and caseine is the other sneaky dairy product

> often found in soy cheeses. I have to hunt to find

> one that doesn't have it. Susan

>

Guest guest

Shift over and open a brew, I`m lost and giving up............. The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: its not connecting with me..at all so i'm just gonna gracefully keep quiet on it... cheers jo Dec 5, 2005 2:21 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant I don't think she justifies it as vegetarian. She just says she doesn't like eating

animals, so doesn't buy any for herself. She doesn't see any point in wasting gas/electricity cooking separate meals. Jo - peter hurd Monday, December 05, 2005 9:21 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant I do understand wat you are saying, just dont

get how anyone can eat meat stew with the visible lumps taken out, and try and justify it as vegetarian/vegan. The Valley Vegan...................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I too think it is yuk but would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three? Jo ----- Original Message

----- peter hurd Monday, December 05, 2005 8:02 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that lovely flavour of cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver! The Valley Vegan.............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: HI NikkiShe knows that - but she

says she is buying enough meat for only threepeople, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.Jo-"earthstrm" Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM Re: Dining out-rant> I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may> not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.>> Nikki

Guest guest

No they don't call themselves vegetarian, they just say they don't eat the

meat but they don't get squemish about it.

Jo

-

" herbvalerian " <herbvalerian

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:14 AM

Re: Dining out-rant

> I see that the person making the stew did have good intentions, and good

intentions are

> always worth it. However I don't see how this person calls themself a a

vegetarian (or have

> I got the wong idea)? In the days before overconsumption overwhelmed the

western world,

> a meaty bone, or maybe just a bone was put in the stew pot and boiled up

with the

> veggies. Then it was taken out and discarded, I suppose some people still

make stew this

> way. Would anyone eating such a stew say they were vegetarian?

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> >

> > Well, if you choose to not get what I am saying that is up to you. I

too think it is yuk but

> would you rather she buy meat for four instead of three?

> >

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > peter hurd

> >

> > Monday, December 05, 2005 8:02 PM

> >

> >

> > Just sharing the blood, broken down sinew etc.......and of course that

lovely flavour of

> cadaver...................mmmmmmmmmm..........cadaver!

> >

> > The Valley Vegan.............

> >

> > jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> > HI Nikki

> >

> > She knows that - but she says she is buying enough meat for only

three

> > people, not four - so she is not buying meat for her to eat.

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > " earthstrm "

> > To:

> > Monday, December 05, 2005 1:16 PM

> >

> >

> > > I agree! She's eating meat then because it is in the stew. She may

> > > not be biting into it, but it is still cooked into it.

> > >

> > > Nikki

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to

-

> >

Guest guest

It was seaweed miso soup. They said it was vegetarian. I've been to 3 of their locations now and all 3 said that it was. Sure hit the spot too as I've been under the weather and there's also been a cold snap here. The highs are in the low 60's for crying out loud. Now as you all remind me of your weather, keep in my that I was playing golf outside when it was 110 degrees!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: the stuff you get in restaurants over on this side of the pond often has fish in it the miso you buy in the store generally doesn't peter hurd Dec 1, 2005 1:41 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

What? I thought miso was vegan........just fermented soya beans with either barley/brown rice etc depending on the type of miso...........dont spook me now Frag, I had some in my stew today, so it better be O.K. The Valley Vegan.................. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: just checkin, but did you make sure the miso was vegan? hard to find a nice vegan miso in a restaurant.... Jonnie Hellens Dec 1, 2005 12:54 PM Re:

Re: Dining out-rant I went to a sushi restaurant the other day and they had a mushroom seaweed salad that sounded pretty good. I ordered it but never got it. I'm gonna try a different location later and give it a go. I did get some wasabi mashed potatoes that I loved, as well as some avocado rolls and miso soup. The miso really hit the spot! They put garnish plates out with wasabi and a huge pile of ginger, I devoured those since I really, really enjoy them. In fact the waitress looked at me like I was nuts when she found me enjoying the wasabi with my nice dry white wine. Oh well, keep em guessing, huh?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: mushrooms have a pretty high protein ratio..and are

high in fiber, and most of the b-vitamins peter hurd Dec 1, 2005 11:18 AM Re: Re: Dining out-rant Surely the mushrooms are a fairly good protien?Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Earlier this year I wanted to take my mother to afancy French restaurant for her birthday. I calledahead and explained that I was vegan and asked whatthey could do. Even though I had called ahead, when Igot there, they had apparently forgotten. They werereally good about picking up the ball and rolling withit, though. (There were no vegan choices on the menuexcept salad and I told them I wanted more thansalad.) The chef did a wonderful job of puttingtogether a

delicious dish with marinated portabellomushrooms and veggies--it was so good I wanted to lickthe plate! I sent compliments to the chef and he saidhe enjoyed putting it together. As for the protein? Ican eat that at home if they forget that part. It'sjust one meal and I don't feel that I need protein atevery meal. Susan--- sandi gordon wrote:> True what is the proetin we get when we go to a> restuarant?beans???I wouldn't eat beans at a> restuarant cause they flavor them w/ pork etc. you> never know what the hidden ingrediants are Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

Guest guest

I caught some talk this morning about cabbage and ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting avian flu. I didn't catch the whole thing but the person on the morning show said it was a definate aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear very well) doesn't work very well for foreign languages. Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I realized after I asked you this questionthat the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! Ilove beets; well, I love just about anything that'svegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A booksomeone found for

me for the holiays is MoosewoodRestaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays andSpecial Occasions, the Moosewood Collection. It'svegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you canmake the usual substitutions in the others). Therewere about six recipes listed for the Thanksgivingmeal. I made three of them and was too full tocontinue. I live alone, but all my kids/grandkids arenearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was tostay home and cook. It was one of the bestThanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day togive them best wishes and made the visiting round theday after. Anyway, one of the recipes combinedonions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it notonly tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. Iguess I should get some breakfast, my stomach isrumbling! Susan--- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:> It was a

few years ago but I will try.> The potaries werebaked until well done in the oven> and then split open slightly. The > hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted like> the *vegan* hummus I usually have > which is made with chick peas, olive oil, tahini,> garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is just> arabic for chick pea dish? They did > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of> dumped on top, as far as I remember. > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall whether> it had vinegar on or was plain, but it > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It sounds> rather plain but it was delicious.> > , Susan> <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> >> > Do you remember how it all went together? Can you> > share? I know how to

make hummus and bake a> potato,> > but I wonder how they were combined with the> beets? > > Thanks. Susan> > > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:> > > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to> eat> > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut> so we> > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite. > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese.> It> > > was a fairly basic cafe menu but they > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,> which> > > was delicious. We liked it so much > > > we copied it at home.> > > > > > > > > , "heartwerk"> > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:> >

> >> > > > I always send meals back if they are not> vegan. I> > > was once surprised > > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans one> > > lunchtime - it turned > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went> > > straight back because > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.> > > > > > > > Jo> > > > > > > > , Susan> > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line> > > about how> > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they> > > forgot and> > > > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish> on> > > the> > > > > pasta; I ask to have

that held, but> sometimes> > > they> > > > > forget. Most people are understanding about> > > dietery> > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how> far I> > > want> > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because> they> > > were> > > > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My> allergist> > > said we> > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and> (I> > > can't> > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are> > > living> > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are> > > bacteria? > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm> weird> > > I have> > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only do> the> > >

best I> > > > > can. Susan> > > > > > > > > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at> any> > > place> > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for meat> as> > > well as> > > > > > veggies...> > > > > > > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different> places...> > > > > > > > > > > > and, to me there is a major difference> between> > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating> off> > > the same> > > > > > pan that has been used countless times to> > > baste some> > > > > > dead critter....> > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your> home> > > page! > > > > > http://www./r/hs> > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your home> page! > > http://www./r/hs> >>

> > > > >

Personals Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet. Lots of someones, actually. Personals

Guest guest

kimchi.....fermented cabbage.... Jonnie Hellens Dec 6, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant

I caught some talk this morning about cabbage and ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting avian flu. I didn't catch the whole thing but the person on the morning show said it was a definate aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear very well) doesn't work very well for foreign languages. Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I realized after I asked you this questionthat the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! Ilove beets; well, I love just about anything that'svegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A booksomeone found for me for the holiays is MoosewoodRestaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays andSpecial Occasions, the Moosewood Collection. It'svegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you canmake the usual substitutions in the others). Therewere about six recipes listed for the Thanksgivingmeal. I made three of them and was too full tocontinue. I live alone, but all my kids/grandkids arenearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was tostay home and cook. It was one of the bestThanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day togive them best wishes and made the visiting round theday after. Anyway, one of the recipes combinedonions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it notonly tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. Iguess I should get some breakfast, my stomach isrumbling! Susan--- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:> It was a few years ago but I will try.> The potaries werebaked until well done in the oven> and then split open slightly. The > hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted like> the *vegan* hummus I usually have > which is made with chick peas, olive oil, tahini,> garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is just> arabic for chick pea dish? They did > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of> dumped on top, as far as I remember. > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall whether> it had vinegar on or was plain, but it > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It sounds> rather plain but it was delicious.> > , Susan> <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> >> > Do you remember how it all went together? Can you> > share? I know how to make hummus and bake a> potato,> > but I wonder how they were combined with the> beets? > > Thanks. Susan> > > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:> > > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to> eat> > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut> so we> > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite. > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese.> It> > > was a fairly basic cafe menu but they > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,> which> > > was delicious. We liked it so much > > > we copied it at home.> > > > > > > > > , "heartwerk"> > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:> > > >> > > > I always send meals back if they are not> vegan. I> > > was once surprised > > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans one> > > lunchtime - it turned > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went> > > straight back because > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.> > > > > > > > Jo> > > > > > > > , Susan> > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line> > > about how> > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they> > > forgot and> > > > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish> on> > > the> > > > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but> sometimes> > > they> > > > > forget. Most people are understanding about> > > dietery> > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how> far I> > > want> > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because> they> > > were> > > > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My> allergist> > > said we> > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and> (I> > > can't> > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are> > > living> > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are> > > bacteria? > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm> weird> > > I have> > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only do> the> > > best I> > > > > can. Susan> > > > > > > > > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at> any> > > place> > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for meat> as> > > well as> > > > > > veggies...> > > > > > > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different> places...> > > > > > > > > > > > and, to me there is a major difference> between> > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating> off> > > the same> > > > > > pan that has been used countless times to> > > baste some> > > > > > dead critter....> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your> home> > > page! > > > > > http://www./r/hs> > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your home> page! > > http://www./r/hs> >> > > > > >

PersonalsSingle? There's someone we'd like you to meet.Lots of someones, actually. Personals To send an email to -

Guest guest

Yeah, that's what it sounded like. So it is rotten... Have you ever tried it? If so, what did you think? I've really been craving some cabbage lately. I like to make a soup with veggie broth, cabbage and mix in mashed potatoes to make it a creamy thick soup along with carrots and whatever else hits me.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: kimchi.....fermented cabbage.... Jonnie Hellens Dec 6, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Re: Dining out-rant I caught some talk this morning about cabbage and ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting avian flu. I didn't catch

the whole thing but the person on the morning show said it was a definate aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear very well) doesn't work very well for foreign languages. Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I realized after I asked you this questionthat the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! Ilove beets; well, I love just about anything that'svegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A booksomeone found for me for the holiays is MoosewoodRestaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays andSpecial Occasions, the Moosewood Collection.

It'svegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you canmake the usual substitutions in the others). Therewere about six recipes listed for the Thanksgivingmeal. I made three of them and was too full tocontinue. I live alone, but all my kids/grandkids arenearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was tostay home and cook. It was one of the bestThanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day togive them best wishes and made the visiting round theday after. Anyway, one of the recipes combinedonions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it notonly tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. Iguess I should get some breakfast, my stomach isrumbling! Susan--- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:> It was a few years ago but I will try.> The potaries werebaked until well done in the oven> and then split open slightly. The

> hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted like> the *vegan* hummus I usually have > which is made with chick peas, olive oil, tahini,> garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is just> arabic for chick pea dish? They did > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of> dumped on top, as far as I remember. > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall whether> it had vinegar on or was plain, but it > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It sounds> rather plain but it was delicious.> > , Susan> <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> >> > Do you remember how it all went together? Can you> > share? I know how to make hummus and bake a> potato,> > but I wonder how they were combined with the> beets? > > Thanks.

Susan> > > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:> > > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to> eat> > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut> so we> > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite. > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat cheese.> It> > > was a fairly basic cafe menu but they > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,> which> > > was delicious. We liked it so much > > > we copied it at home.> > > > > > > > > , "heartwerk"> > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:> > > >> > > > I always send meals back if they are not> vegan. I> > > was once surprised

> > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans one> > > lunchtime - it turned > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went> > > straight back because > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.> > > > > > > > Jo> > > > > > > > , Susan> > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal line> > > about how> > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if they> > > forgot and> > > > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish> on> > > the> > > > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but> sometimes> > > they> > > > > forget. Most people are understanding

about> > > dietery> > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how> far I> > > want> > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because> they> > > were> > > > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My> allergist> > > said we> > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and> (I> > > can't> > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are> > > living> > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are> > > bacteria? > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm> weird> > > I have> > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only do> the> > > best I> > > > > can. Susan> > > > > > > > > > ---

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at> any> > > place> > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for meat> as> > > well as> > > > > > veggies...> > > > > > > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different> places...> > > > > > > > > > > > and, to me there is a major difference> between> > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating> off> > > the same> > > > > > pan that has been used countless times to> > > baste some> > > > > > dead critter....> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your> home> > > page! > > > > > http://www./r/hs> > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your home> page! > > http://www./r/hs> >> > > > > > Do You

? PersonalsSingle? There's someone we'd like you to meet.Lots of someones, actually. Personals To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Susan,

I agree. I think that once we start discriminating against anyone we

must allow others to do the same to us.

In all honestly, if DH and I were to ever go our seperate ways, I do

not think that I would date another meat-eater again. But then again

it would depend on the circumstances.

I certainly would not discriminate against them, but would consider

it more of a quality I look for in another. Just like I wouldn't

date someone who didn't shower or didn't like at least some of the

things I do. It's more of a personal preference in finding a

compatible mate than anything.

But that's not to say that if I fell in love again I would toss

someone aside due to it. I honestly just cannot say.

And I think I am in the same boat as you, not sure I would ever want

to marry again. Life partner maybe, but marraige probably not.

, Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

>

> Someone at work asked me if I'd date someone who ate

> meat. That's a good question and I'm still thinking

> about it. I'm inclined to think not, because this

> value is so important to me; however, I'm not really

> sure to be honest with you (I don't want to get

> married again, so that wasn't an issue). My extended

> family are all omnivors to varying extents and I

> haven't disowned any of them. I'd hate to think that

> what someone ate was the only thing I valued about

> them. It doesn't feel peaceful to me to discriminate

> on this, so I still need to figure this one out. I

> think my value for nondiscrimination is stronger than

> my value about being vegan, or maybe the two values

> are equally as strong. I hope I figure it out before

> I die and it won't matter anymore. :-) Susan

>

> --- earthstrm <earthstorm@c...> wrote:

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo,

I agree.

One thing Fraggle had said to me in the past that has always stuck

with me was something along the lines that people are always

outraged if they here of a puupy being kicked or kitten mis-treated

etc., yet they never think about what happens to the animals in our

food lines.

Unfortunately most associate the mis-treatment of animals only to

those who we look at as cuddly pets.

>

> Hi Nikki

>

> I always think it wise to keep a sense of porportion. One of the

things I

> can never understand is that some people love cats, birds of prey,

tigers

> etc. who kill and eat other animals, but cannot forgive humans for

doing the

> same.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

Guest guest

Was it kimchee and pickled ginger? I tried kimchee and

I would think it is an aquired taste. I love pickeled

ginger, though--any ginger, actually.

--- Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

> I caught some talk this morning about cabbage and

> ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting

> avian flu. I didn't catch the whole thing but the

> person on the morning show said it was a definate

> aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as

> I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was

> 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called

> over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear

> very well) doesn't work very well for foreign

> languages.

>

> Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I

> realized after I asked you this question

> that the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! I

> love beets; well, I love just about anything that's

> vegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.

> Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A

> book

> someone found for me for the holiays is Moosewood

> Restaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and

> Special Occasions, the Moosewood Collection. It's

> vegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you can

> make the usual substitutions in the others). There

> were about six recipes listed for the Thanksgiving

> meal. I made three of them and was too full to

> continue. I live alone, but all my kids/grandkids

> are

> nearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was

> to

> stay home and cook. It was one of the best

> Thanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day

> to

> give them best wishes and made the visiting round

> the

> day after. Anyway, one of the recipes combined

> onions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it not

> only tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. I

> guess I should get some breakfast, my stomach is

> rumbling! Susan

>

> --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:

>

> > It was a few years ago but I will try.

> > The potaries werebaked until well done in the

> oven

> > and then split open slightly. The

> > hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted

> like

> > the *vegan* hummus I usually have

> > which is made with chick peas, olive oil, tahini,

> > garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all

> > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is

> just

> > arabic for chick pea dish? They did

> > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of

> > dumped on top, as far as I remember.

> > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall

> whether

> > it had vinegar on or was plain, but it

> > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It

> sounds

> > rather plain but it was delicious.

> >

> > , Susan

> > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> > >

> > > Do you remember how it all went together? Can

> you

> > > share? I know how to make hummus and bake a

> > potato,

> > > but I wonder how they were combined with the

> > beets?

> > > Thanks. Susan

> > >

> > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:

> > >

> > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to

> > eat

> > > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which

> > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut

> > so we

> > > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite.

> > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat

> cheese.

> > It

> > > > was a fairly basic cafe menu but they

> > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,

> > which

> > > > was delicious. We liked it so much

> > > > we copied it at home.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ,

> " heartwerk "

> > > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > I always send meals back if they are not

> > vegan. I

> > > > was once surprised

> > > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans

> one

> > > > lunchtime - it turned

> > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went

> > > > straight back because

> > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > , Susan

> > > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal

> line

> > > > about how

> > > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if

> they

> > > > forgot and

> > > > > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish

> > on

> > > > the

> > > > > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but

> > sometimes

> > > > they

> > > > > > forget. Most people are understanding

> about

> > > > dietery

> > > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how

> > far I

> > > > want

> > > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because

> > they

> > > > were

> > > > > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My

> > allergist

> > > > said we

> > > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and

> > (I

> > > > can't

> > > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are

> > > > living

> > > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are

> > > > bacteria?

> > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm

> > weird

> > > > I have

> > > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only

> do

> > the

> > > > best I

> > > > > > can. Susan

> > > > > >

> > > > > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at

> > any

> > > > place

> > > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for

> meat

> > as

> > > > well as

> > > > > > > veggies...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different

> > places...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > and, to me there is a major difference

> > between

> > > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating

> > off

> > > > the same

> > > > > > > pan that has been used countless times

> to

> > > > baste some

> > > > > > > dead critter....

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your

> > home

> > > > page!

> > > > > > http://www./r/hs

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Start your day with - Make it your home

> > page!

> > > http://www./r/hs

>

=== message truncated ===

________

DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.

Guest guest

I agree,if I g-d forbid ever was not w/ my current hubby I would try to meet a veg. the next time,it can be difficult at times,but we seem to make it work,but it is tougher w/ agreeing on raising our kids at times.earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: Hi Susan,I agree. I think that once we start discriminating against anyone we must allow others to do the same to us.In all honestly, if DH and I were to ever go our seperate ways, I do not think that I would date another meat-eater again. But then again it would depend on the circumstances.I certainly would not discriminate against them, but would consider it more of a quality I look for in another. Just like I wouldn't date someone who didn't shower or didn't like at least some of the things I do. It's more of a personal preference

in finding a compatible mate than anything.But that's not to say that if I fell in love again I would toss someone aside due to it. I honestly just cannot say. And I think I am in the same boat as you, not sure I would ever want to marry again. Life partner maybe, but marraige probably not.Nikki :) , Susan <oceanfest_2000> wrote:>> Someone at work asked me if I'd date someone who ate> meat. That's a good question and I'm still thinking> about it. I'm inclined to think not, because this> value is so important to me; however, I'm not really> sure to be honest with you (I don't want to get> married again, so that wasn't an issue). My extended> family are all omnivors to varying extents and I> haven't disowned any of them. I'd hate to think that> what someone ate was the only thing I valued about>

them. It doesn't feel peaceful to me to discriminate> on this, so I still need to figure this one out. I> think my value for nondiscrimination is stronger than> my value about being vegan, or maybe the two values> are equally as strong. I hope I figure it out before> I die and it won't matter anymore. :-) Susan> > --- earthstrm <earthstorm@c...> wrote:>

Shopping Find Great Deals on Gifts at Shopping

Guest guest

Hi Jo

Sometimes we think alike and it is a bit scary! :)

That's what I said too! But it is about 300 posts in the future as I

am about 300 behind. LOL

BB

Nikki

>

> Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you

missing the

> tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people

have to be

> perfect in

> your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

>

> Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

>

>

> > umm

> > yeah

> > i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

> >

Guest guest

I got it Nikki - I was pleased to think someone understood my point.

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:19 PM

Re: Dining out-rant

> Hi Jo

>

> Sometimes we think alike and it is a bit scary! :)

>

> That's what I said too! But it is about 300 posts in the future as I

> am about 300 behind. LOL

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

> >

> > Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you

> missing the

> > tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people

> have to be

> > perfect in

> > your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

> >

> > Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

> >

> >

> > > umm

> > > yeah

> > > i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

> > >

>

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo

Just sorry that it took me so long to get there. lol

I am only (knock on wood) about 60 posts behind now. So no talking

when I go to sleep tonight! ;)

And yes, I think every little bit helps. It may not be the ideal

situation, but it is most definately better than others.

BB

Nikki

>

> I got it Nikki - I was pleased to think someone understood my

point.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> -

> " earthstrm " <earthstorm@c...>

>

> Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:19 PM

>

>

> > Hi Jo

> >

> > Sometimes we think alike and it is a bit scary! :)

> >

> > That's what I said too! But it is about 300 posts in the future

as I

> > am about 300 behind. LOL

> >

> > BB

> > Nikki

> >

> > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...>

wrote:

> > >

> > > Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you

> > missing the

> > > tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people

> > have to be

> > > perfect in

> > > your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > -

> > > " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

> > >

> > > Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

> > > Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> > >

> > >

> > > > umm

> > > > yeah

> > > > i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

> > > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

That's what I thought Nikki.

BB

Jo

, " earthstrm " <earthstorm@c...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Jo

>

> Just sorry that it took me so long to get there. lol

>

> I am only (knock on wood) about 60 posts behind now. So no talking

> when I go to sleep tonight! ;)

>

> And yes, I think every little bit helps. It may not be the ideal

> situation, but it is most definately better than others.

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

> >

> > I got it Nikki - I was pleased to think someone understood my

> point.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > " earthstrm " <earthstorm@c...>

> >

> > Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:19 PM

> >

> >

> > > Hi Jo

> > >

> > > Sometimes we think alike and it is a bit scary! :)

> > >

> > > That's what I said too! But it is about 300 posts in the future

> as I

> > > am about 300 behind. LOL

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Nikki

> > >

> > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...>

> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Would you rather she buy meat for four than three - are you

> > > missing the

> > > > tiny amount of good that has come from her action or do people

> > > have to be

> > > > perfect in

> > > > your eyes to be worthy of any encouragement?

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > -

> > > > " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

> > > >

> > > > Monday, December 05, 2005 8:05 PM

> > > > Re: Re: Dining out-rant

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > umm

> > > > > yeah

> > > > > i'm just gonna refrain from commenting

> > > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

>

> > >

Guest guest

I too love pickeled ginger (also called among other things sushi ginger). I like raw ginger too, it's nice for the upset tummy.Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Was it kimchee and pickled ginger? I tried kimchee andI would think it is an aquired taste. I love pickeledginger, though--any ginger, actually.--- Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:> I caught some talk this morning about cabbage and> ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting> avian flu. I didn't catch the whole thing but the> person on the morning show said it was a definate> aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as> I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was> 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called>

over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear> very well) doesn't work very well for foreign> languages. > > Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I> realized after I asked you this question> that the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! I> love beets; well, I love just about anything that's> vegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.> Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A> book> someone found for me for the holiays is Moosewood> Restaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and> Special Occasions, the Moosewood Collection. It's> vegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you can> make the usual substitutions in the others). There> were about six recipes listed for the Thanksgiving> meal. I made three of them and was too full to> continue. I live alone, but

all my kids/grandkids> are> nearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was> to> stay home and cook. It was one of the best> Thanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day> to> give them best wishes and made the visiting round> the> day after. Anyway, one of the recipes combined> onions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it not> only tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. I> guess I should get some breakfast, my stomach is> rumbling! Susan> > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:> > > It was a few years ago but I will try.> > The potaries werebaked until well done in the> oven> > and then split open slightly. The > > hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted> like> > the *vegan* hummus I usually have > > which is made with

chick peas, olive oil, tahini,> > garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all > > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is> just> > arabic for chick pea dish? They did > > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of> > dumped on top, as far as I remember. > > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall> whether> > it had vinegar on or was plain, but it > > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It> sounds> > rather plain but it was delicious.> > > > , Susan> > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > >> > > Do you remember how it all went together? Can> you> > > share? I know how to make hummus and bake a> > potato,> > > but I wonder how they were combined with the> > beets? > > > Thanks.

Susan> > > > > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:> > > > > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to> > eat> > > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which > > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut> > so we> > > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite. > > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat> cheese.> > It> > > > was a fairly basic cafe menu but they > > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,> > which> > > > was delicious. We liked it so much > > > > we copied it at home.> > > > > > > > > > > > ,> "heartwerk"> > > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:> > > > >>

> > > > I always send meals back if they are not> > vegan. I> > > > was once surprised > > > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans> one> > > > lunchtime - it turned > > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went> > > > straight back because > > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.> > > > > > > > > > Jo> > > > > > > > > > , Susan> > > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal> line> > > > about how> > > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if> they> > > > forgot and> > > > > > had even a little dab

of pesto for garnish> > on> > > > the> > > > > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but> > sometimes> > > > they> > > > > > forget. Most people are understanding> about> > > > dietery> > > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how> > far I> > > > want> > > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because> > they> > > > were> > > > > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My> > allergist> > > > said we> > > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and> > (I> > > > can't> > > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are> > > > living> > > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are> > >

> bacteria? > > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm> > weird> > > > I have> > > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only> do> > the> > > > best I> > > > > > can. Susan> > > > > > > > > > > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at> > any> > > > place> > > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for> meat> > as> > > > well as> > > > > > > veggies...> > > > > > > > > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different> > places...> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

and, to me there is a major difference> > between> > > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating> > off> > > > the same> > > > > > > pan that has been used countless times> to> > > > baste some> > > > > > > dead critter....> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your> > home> > > > page! > > > > > > http://www./r/hs> > > >

> >> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your home> > page! > > > http://www./r/hs> === message truncated === ________ DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.

Guest guest

I grew up loving ginger beer too ( my mum used to make/grew the stuff ), although the commercial stuff seems VERY sweet to me now, even though I have a full set of sweet teeth. The Valley Vegan............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote: I too love pickeled ginger (also called among other things sushi ginger). I like raw ginger too, it's nice for the upset tummy.Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Was it kimchee and pickled ginger? I tried kimchee andI would think it is an aquired taste. I love pickeledginger, though--any ginger, actually.--- Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:> I

caught some talk this morning about cabbage and> ginger is being touted as a help to avoid getting> avian flu. I didn't catch the whole thing but the> person on the morning show said it was a definate> aquired taste. I was wondering why that would be as> I love both cabbage and ginger. I wonder if it was> 'rotten' cabbage? They mentioned what it was called> over there but my sounds like game (I don't hear> very well) doesn't work very well for foreign> languages. > > Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: Thanks! I> realized after I asked you this question> that the beet root was probably on the side. Ha! I> love beets; well, I love just about anything that's> vegan food. :-) I'm definitely not a picky eater.> Loving to cook just makes it all so much more! A> book> someone found for me for the

holiays is Moosewood> Restaraunt Celbrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and> Special Occasions, the Moosewood Collection. It's> vegetarian, but has many vegan recipes (and you can> make the usual substitutions in the others). There> were about six recipes listed for the Thanksgiving> meal. I made three of them and was too full to> continue. I live alone, but all my kids/grandkids> are> nearby. However, all I wanted to do this year was> to> stay home and cook. It was one of the best> Thanksgivings ever. I called everybody on the day> to> give them best wishes and made the visiting round> the> day after. Anyway, one of the recipes combined> onions, red cabbage and fresh cranberris and it not> only tasted good, it was really pretty to look at. I> guess I should get some breakfast, my stomach is>

rumbling! Susan> > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote:> > > It was a few years ago but I will try.> > The potaries werebaked until well done in the> oven> > and then split open slightly. The > > hummus was the kind you would expect. It tasted> like> > the *vegan* hummus I usually have > > which is made with chick peas, olive oil, tahini,> > garlic and lemon juice, recipes for it all > > over the net. By the way did you know hummus is> just> > arabic for chick pea dish? They did > > not put any margarine on. The hummus was sort of> > dumped on top, as far as I remember. > > The beetroot, to be honest I cannot recall> whether> > it had vinegar on or was plain, but it > > was cooked beetroot and it was very tasty. It> sounds> > rather plain but

it was delicious.> > > > , Susan> > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > >> > > Do you remember how it all went together? Can> you> > > share? I know how to make hummus and bake a> > potato,> > > but I wonder how they were combined with the> > beets? > > > Thanks. Susan> > > > > > --- herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:> > > > > > > We went to Alnwick a few years back hoping to> > eat> > > > out at the vegetarian restaurant which > > > > waa there at the time. Unforunately it as shut> > so we> > > > went to the omnivore cafe opposite. > > > > We said we were vegan and could not eat> cheese.> > It> > > > was a fairly basic cafe menu

but they > > > > did us baked potato with hummus and beetroot,> > which> > > > was delicious. We liked it so much > > > > we copied it at home.> > > > > > > > > > > > ,> "heartwerk"> > > > <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > I always send meals back if they are not> > vegan. I> > > > was once surprised > > > > > when I ordered a jacket potato with beans> one> > > > lunchtime - it turned > > > > > up with melted cheese all over it. It went> > > > straight back because > > > > > there was no mention of cheese on the menu.> > > > > > > > > > Jo> > > > > > > >

> > , Susan> > > > <oceanfest_2000> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > I agree that everyone draws a personal> line> > > > about how> > > > > > far they go; I have sent meals back if> they> > > > forgot and> > > > > > had even a little dab of pesto for garnish> > on> > > > the> > > > > > pasta; I ask to have that held, but> > sometimes> > > > they> > > > > > forget. Most people are understanding> about> > > > dietery> > > > > > restrictions. I'm still learning about how> > far I> > > > want> > > > > > to go. I stopped my allergy shots because> > they> > > > were> > >

> > > grass, dust mites, dog, and cat. My> > allergist> > > > said we> > > > > > could continue the grass and dust mite and> > (I> > > > can't> > > > > > believe I said this) I said dust mites are> > > > living> > > > > > creatures, too. He countered with what are> > > > bacteria? > > > > > > Oh well, I don't care if people think I'm> > weird> > > > I have> > > > > > to live the way I believe and I can only> do> > the> > > > best I> > > > > > can. Susan> > > > > > > > > > > > --- fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > > > i know a lot of vegans who won't eat at> >

any> > > > place> > > > > > > that uses the same pots and such for> meat> > as> > > > well as> > > > > > > veggies...> > > > > > > > > > > > > > everyone draws the line at different> > places...> > > > > > > > > > > > > > and, to me there is a major difference> > between> > > > > > > stepping behind a carnivore, and eating> > off> > > > the same> > > > > > > pan that has been used countless times> to> > > > baste some> > > > > > > dead critter....> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your> > home> > > > page! > > > > > > http://www./r/hs> > > > > >> > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Start your day with - Make it your home> > page! > > > http://www./r/hs> === message truncated

=== ________ DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.