Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Substitute for Emulsifying Wax

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone know the amount of beeswax to sustitute for Emulsifying

wax? Or even if it works the same. I am making a heavy lotion, and am

out of EW!I am not even sure if beeswax would work the same, as I have

just used it for lip balms and salves that are much harder than lotion.

Thanks so much.:)

Guest guest

At 02:49 AM 12/2/2006, you wrote:

>Does anyone know the amount of beeswax to sustitute for Emulsifying

>wax? Or even if it works the same. I am making a heavy lotion, and am

>out of EW!I am not even sure if beeswax would work the same, as I have

>just used it for lip balms and salves that are much harder than lotion.

>Thanks so much.:)

Beeswax alone isn't an emulsifier... you would have to use beeswax and

borax. (Although I just bought a book that gives formulas using just

beeswax....I doubt the formulas would be stable.)

Over 10 years online supplying Aromatherapy and Healthcare Professionals

Essential Oils, Hydrosols, Accessories, Hard to find Books and Videos

<http://www.naturesgift.com>

Guest guest

, " Jo " <jmhborne wrote:

>

> Does anyone know the amount of beeswax to sustitute for Emulsifying

> wax? Or even if it works the same. I am making a heavy lotion, and am

> out of EW!I am not even sure if beeswax would work the same, as I

have

> just used it for lip balms and salves that are much harder than

lotion.

> Thanks so much.:)

>

---------------

Beeswax and emulsifying wax are not the same at all and do not act the

same in a formula. Emulsifying wax is Cetostearyl alcohol and

Ethoxylated Sorbitan Ester and is designed to create oil in water or

water in oil emulsions.

Joanne

Guest Rafael Patiño

i do! My name is Rafael,I'm from Spain but I live in Mexico City,so please forgive my english writing ok? So,about your question,if you don't want to use the emulsifying wax you can use the next ingredients I have used at home before and they work realy so very nice plus as 100% natural ok? So,here we go: light lotion 7% beeswax 1.5% cetearyl alcohol(vegetable base you get it in the US at lotioncrafter or at this other place call ingredients to die for),1.5 estearic acid(also vegetable base from any of the 2 plases I just told you),and 20 to 25% of the oil fase! A nice tip! You most use a thickener like xanthan gum but, add it to the oil fase (not in to the watter fase as most people do, trust me on this, you will just love it, is much easier to mix) and the rest you should know is the watter fase ok? If you want a thicker lotion then you should use: 7% beeswax ,1.5% cetearyl alcohol vegetable base,1.5 estearic acid vegetable base and 30 to 35% of the oils and I forgot,in the last one and in this one about the xanthan gum you just need to add 0.2 to 0.3% of xanthan gum inside the oil fase ok? In this way your lotion will not separate! Now, if you want a much thicker product then we will call it a cream, you will need the same amount of ingredients I told you but in this case you will have to have a 40 to 45% of the oil fase and the rest any watter like rose watter or whatever watter you want ok? Don't use a lot of cetearyl alcohol or estearic acid in your lotions or cream beca use you will get a soapy effect like your cream is not getting absorb in your skin! So at the most you should use 2% of the ingredients I told you ok? No need to use borax when you use what I told you trust me,now, if you check the website of the 2 companies I told you (ingredients to die for and lotioncrafter) they have so so sooooooooo many good natural products aproved by ECOCERT plus these 2 companies tell you the whole list of the ingredients you aré getting from them! Rigth now I am using a nice natural and vegetable emulsifyer 100% natural and vegetable source aproved by ECOCERT and is call OLIVEM 1000 it comes from Italy and is coming from the olives, is for O/W emulsions where you use at the most 25% of oil fase and 75% of watter,altought Olivem 1000 is by itself a self-emulsifying product, you should add as I said 1 to 2% of cetearyl alcohol and estearic acid adding xanthan gum at the most 3% but in the oil fase, if you don't like the idea of using xanthan gum, I recomed the use of gum tragacanth, but in this case, tragacanth is much easier to use than xanthan gum, therefore this one gum tragacanth you can add it in to the watter fase with out any problem at al, it mix very will and very fast! If you have eny questions at all, my mail is: harigana@ hotmail.com Take care and I hope I could help you on this!