IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Location of Muladhara (Adhara)Chakra - According to Swami Sivananda

Rate this topic

Guest guest

|| Hare Rama Krishna ||Dear Learned Members, Namaskar. I have been seeing quite a few exchanges on location of Muladhara Chakra. Some of the learned members are making their own translation of the tantra texts or adopting some other translation to prove that Muladhara Chakra is in Scorpio. However, we (atleast those who are not adepts or practicioners) should not depend on speculations and should listen to what adepts say. Below I am quoting a couple of paragraphs from a book Kundalini Yoga by Swami Sivananda, Founder of A Divine Life Society and definitely an adept." Muladhara Chakra is located at the base of spinal column. It lies between the origin of the reproductory organ and the anus. It is just below the Kanda (definition below) and the junction where the Ida, Pingala and Sushumna Nadis meet. Two fingers above the anus and two fingers below the genitals, four fingers in width is where the Muladhara Chakra is situated. This is the Adhara Chakra (support) as other chakras are above it. "" Kanda: This is situated between the anus and the root of the reproductory organ. It is like the shape of an egg and is covered with membranes. This is just above the Muladhara Chakra. All the Nadis of the body spring from this Kanda. It is the junction where the Sushumna is connected with the Muladhara Chakra. The four petals of the Muladhara Chakra are on the sides of this Kanda and the junction is called Granthi-Sthana, where the influence of Maaya is very strong. In some Upanidhads you will find that Kanda is 9 digits above the genitals "In the Summary of Shat Chakras Chart (in the same book) it is written: " Corresponding to Muladhara Chakra (in the Shookshma Sarira) the nerve plexus in the physical body is (Sacral) Sacro-coccygeal Plexus. "From this it is clear that Muladhara Chakra is a Sookshma Chakra and it above anus. It is definitely not to be understood as a paper-thin plane but has some width i.e. is three-dimensional in nature. Being attached to the egg-like Kanda it is definitely above anus (as per direct writing of Swami Sivananda-ji). If that is the case, the Muladhara Chakra in Kaala Purusha's body is within Tula Rasi (may be at the fag end) but definitely not within the Vrischika Rasi. Ganesha is the presiding deity of Muladhara Chakra and we know that Ganesha sits in 7H (natural position for Tula Rasi).Further, Parasara says: Tula corresponds to Vasti (Basti) and Vrischika to Guhya. Phaladeepika gives:Tula to Basti and Vrischika to Prajanana (Reproductive organ-region).Now, in M-W Dictionary, Vasti(Basti) refers to bladder, lower belly, abdomen, pelvis. and Guhya refers to anus. Now if you kindly look at the pictures in anatomy (http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=7456 and other pictures of this site) you may find that Sacral region of the spine is above the anus and is falling in the Basti and not in the Guhya region.Swami Shivananda clearly refers to Muladhara being in the Sacral region (or Sacro-coccygeal plexus). If we go by his definition (and I am inclined to), Muladhara falls within Tula. Further support of Swami-ji's stand can be found from Devi Bhagavatam. Here is an online copy translation (the translator is Swami Vijnananda, a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa): " The lotus that exists in the Mûlâdhâra, called the sacral or sacrococcygeal plexus has four petals, wherein are the four letters v, s', s, s." (excerpted from http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/db/bk11ch01.htm) The same information comes from Shakti and Shakta by Arthur Avalon (http://www.sacred-texts.com/tantra/sas/sas29.htm).The sacrococcygeal plexus is where the sciatic nerve arises. One can thus locate where the Sacrococcygeal plexus is located in this diagram (http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=4461) . I am not a biology student, but judging by the references to Muladhara Chakra and a litte research on meaning of terms, I am in favor of Tula being the location of the Muladhara.This is to my understanding. I hope this contributes something to the discussion.Best wishes,Sourav=====================================================