Guest guest

Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear List,

There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new

moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking

new events or work?

What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?

People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be

good

Thanks and best wishes

vishnu

Guest guest

Dear VIshnu ji,That is the belief in tamil nadu. I do not think there is any scientific basis for that. YOu see, they consider that a good day to start any venture as it is the darkest day and thereafter things only become brighter. I hope I have made myself clear. Moon starts waxing from the next day itself and become bigger and brighter day by day and they think the same thing will happen to any venture started on amavasyaRegards,Anita--- On Tue, 9/2/10, Vishnu <vishnumohanalj wrote:Vishnu <vishnumohanalj Poorna amavasya -Good day or not? Date: Tuesday, 9 February, 2010, 2:12 AM

Dear List,

There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking new events or work?

What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?

People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be good

Thanks and best wishes

vishnu

Your Mail works best with the New Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!.

Guest guest

Dear Vishnu ji, There are multiple reasoning behind this -1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya(Victory)-Rikta(Empty)-Poorna(Full)" classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious. Amavasya is a Poorna Tithi and should be therefore treated as auspicious just like Panchami, Dasami, and Pancha dasi (Pournami and Amavasi). No wonder that Panchami (5th), Dasami (10th) and Pancha dasi (15th; Pournami and Amavasi) are treated as extremely auspicious where as Rikta Tithis such as Chaturthi (4th), Navami (9th) and Chaturdasi (14th) are treated as inauspicious. 2) Sun is soul and Moon is Mind. A union of soul and mind should be treated as auspicious and is indicative of spirituality (a mind without confusion). Certainly this also makes Amavasi auspicious. 3) We Asuras (non-devas; non-vedic people) value our forefathers and tradition. Moon is the significator of parampara. Further even the puranas imagines stories such as forefather's reside in Chandra loka (in Moon!) etc. :) Dakshinayana (not davayana) is the period of the Pitryana (time of forefather's); similarly the Krishna paksha is the Pitrpaksha (time of forefathers). We value the advice of elders and forefathers than the assumed advice of gods - and is thus realistic. This also makes Amavaysa (the Poorna tithi in Krishna paksha, the day of the Pirts auspicious to us. It is a day dedicated to forefathers and family and NOT to devas (deities and gods). It is the day of the tantrics and not of vedics. This too makes Amavasya auspicious. 3) Due to the above reasons numerous Lunar year systems from far ancient period starts with Amavaya only. It is called Amanta systems (the other system is Purnamanta). Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak. For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality). The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law of the Tantrics! From the vedic perspective this rule cannot be true; from the Astrological perspective of a 'controlled and balanced happy family life', this cannot be true. Every thing should not be as per the flow (as per the family advice and mother's wish), own decisions based on a strong and CONTROLLED mind is needed to follow the ETHICS. And for this the Moon should be strong! And so a day on which Moon is weak CANNOT be auspicious especially in Karmakandi acharas and ritualistic god worship. It cannot be auspicious for vedic deity worship neither as per vedic perspective, nor as per astrological perspective. Because here the perspective differ!!! So the astrologer should better be practical and selective in suggesting the day. "No day is truly auspicious or inauspicious". The point is you are selecting which for what! If the day is asked for a family temple worship where forefather's are worshiped I will definitely suggest Amavasya as Muhurta day. If the day asked for is a Vedic yaga, homa etc then I will never suggest an Amavaya day for the same. If the day is asked for a Tantric spiritual devi worship then I will definitely suggest Amavaysa, but if it is the marriage of a Vedic brahmin I will never suggest amavasya for the Muhurta. Note: Astrologer is a social servant - and so his personal opinions DOES NOT matter much in such situations, but instead social beliefs matters. Hope this helps.Love and regards,Sreenadh , "Vishnu" <vishnumohanalj wrote:>> Dear List,> > There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking new events or work?> > What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?> > People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be good> > > Thanks and best wishes> > vishnu>

Guest guest

Dear Sreenadhji,A very good explanation.The classification of Bhadra,nanda,rikta ,poorna is the main reason behind its auspicious nature according to the belief in the section of people belonging to Tamilnadu.On a lighter note,Cine fields portray evil tantriks getting special powers do not start alone but start and complete their pooja on a amavasya day.In some films Pournami is also shown.On a serious note,i learnt that real yogis who do intense meditation in unknown lands frequently do japa more than 30 days without minding the tithis .Thanks and best wishesvishnu--- On Tue, 2/9/10, sreesog <sreesog wrote:sreesog <sreesog Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not? Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Dear Vishnu ji, There are multiple reasoning behind this -1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya( Victory)- Rikta(Empty) -Poorna(Full) " classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious. Amavasya is a Poorna Tithi and should be therefore treated as auspicious just like Panchami, Dasami, and Pancha dasi (Pournami and Amavasi). No wonder that Panchami (5th), Dasami (10th) and Pancha dasi (15th; Pournami and Amavasi) are treated as extremely auspicious where as Rikta Tithis such as Chaturthi (4th), Navami (9th) and Chaturdasi (14th) are treated as inauspicious. 2) Sun is soul and Moon is Mind. A union of soul and mind should be treated as auspicious and is indicative of spirituality (a mind without confusion). Certainly this also makes

Amavasi auspicious. 3) We Asuras (non-devas; non-vedic people) value our forefathers and tradition. Moon is the significator of parampara. Further even the puranas imagines stories such as forefather's reside in Chandra loka (in Moon!) etc. :) Dakshinayana (not davayana) is the period of the Pitryana (time of forefather's) ; similarly the Krishna paksha is the Pitrpaksha (time of forefathers) . We value the advice of elders and forefathers than the assumed advice of gods - and is thus realistic. This also makes Amavaysa (the Poorna tithi in Krishna paksha, the day of the Pirts auspicious to us. It is a day dedicated to forefathers and family and NOT to devas (deities and gods). It is the day of the tantrics and not of vedics. This too makes Amavasya auspicious. 3) Due to the above reasons numerous Lunar year systems from far ancient period starts with Amavaya only. It is called Amanta systems (the other system is

Purnamanta). Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak. For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality) . The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law

of the Tantrics! From the vedic perspective this rule cannot be true; from the Astrological perspective of a 'controlled and balanced happy family life', this cannot be true. Every thing should not be as per the flow (as per the family advice and mother's wish), own decisions based on a strong and CONTROLLED mind is needed to follow the ETHICS. And for this the Moon should be strong! And so a day on which Moon is weak CANNOT be auspicious especially in Karmakandi acharas and ritualistic god worship. It cannot be auspicious for vedic deity worship neither as per vedic perspective, nor as per astrological perspective. Because here the perspective differ!!! So the astrologer should better be practical and selective in suggesting the day. "No day is truly auspicious or inauspicious" . The point is you are selecting which for what! If the day is asked for a family temple worship where forefather's are worshiped I will definitely suggest

Amavasya as Muhurta day. If the day asked for is a Vedic yaga, homa etc then I will never suggest an Amavaya day for the same. If the day is asked for a Tantric spiritual devi worship then I will definitely suggest Amavaysa, but if it is the marriage of a Vedic brahmin I will never suggest amavasya for the Muhurta. Note: Astrologer is a social servant - and so his personal opinions DOES NOT matter much in such situations, but instead social beliefs matters. Hope this helps.Love and regards,Sreenadh ancient_indian_ astrology, "Vishnu" <vishnumohanalj@ ...> wrote:>> Dear List,> > There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking new events or work?> > What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?> >

People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be good> > > Thanks and best wishes> > vishnu>

Guest guest

Sir, On the light note.

In dhayan experencing darkness has a special importance.

Tantra is the most misunderstood concept. RegardsKulbir Bains

Vishnu Mohan <vishnumohanalj Sent: Tue, 9 February, 2010 6:46:47 AMRe: Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?

Dear Sreenadhji,

A very good explanation. The classification of Bhadra,nanda, rikta ,poorna is the main reason behind its auspicious nature according to the belief in the section of people belonging to Tamilnadu.

On a lighter note,Cine fields portray evil tantriks getting special powers do not start alone but start and complete their pooja on a amavasya day.In some films Pournami is also shown.

On a serious note,i learnt that real yogis who do intense meditation in unknown lands frequently do japa more than 30 days without minding the tithis .

Thanks and best wishes

vishnu

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, sreesog <sreesog > wrote:

sreesog <sreesog >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?ancient_indian_ astrologyTuesday, February 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Dear Vishnu ji, There are multiple reasoning behind this -1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya( Victory)- Rikta(Empty) -Poorna(Full) " classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious. Amavasya is a Poorna Tithi and should be therefore treated as auspicious just like Panchami, Dasami, and Pancha dasi (Pournami and Amavasi). No wonder that Panchami (5th), Dasami (10th) and Pancha dasi (15th; Pournami and Amavasi) are treated as extremely auspicious where as Rikta Tithis such as Chaturthi (4th), Navami (9th) and Chaturdasi (14th) are treated as inauspicious. 2) Sun is soul and Moon is Mind. A union of soul and mind should be treated as auspicious and is indicative of spirituality (a mind without confusion). Certainly this also makes

Amavasi auspicious. 3) We Asuras (non-devas; non-vedic people) value our forefathers and tradition. Moon is the significator of parampara. Further even the puranas imagines stories such as forefather's reside in Chandra loka (in Moon!) etc. :) Dakshinayana (not davayana) is the period of the Pitryana (time of forefather's) ; similarly the Krishna paksha is the Pitrpaksha (time of forefathers) . We value the advice of elders and forefathers than the assumed advice of gods - and is thus realistic. This also makes Amavaysa (the Poorna tithi in Krishna paksha, the day of the Pirts auspicious to us. It is a day dedicated to forefathers and family and NOT to devas (deities and gods). It is the day of the tantrics and not of vedics. This too makes Amavasya auspicious. 3) Due to the above reasons numerous Lunar year systems from far ancient period starts with Amavaya only. It is called Amanta systems (the other system is

Purnamanta). Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak.. For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality) . The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law

of the Tantrics! From the vedic perspective this rule cannot be true; from the Astrological perspective of a 'controlled and balanced happy family life', this cannot be true. Every thing should not be as per the flow (as per the family advice and mother's wish), own decisions based on a strong and CONTROLLED mind is needed to follow the ETHICS. And for this the Moon should be strong! And so a day on which Moon is weak CANNOT be auspicious especially in Karmakandi acharas and ritualistic god worship. It cannot be auspicious for vedic deity worship neither as per vedic perspective, nor as per astrological perspective. Because here the perspective differ!!! So the astrologer should better be practical and selective in suggesting the day. "No day is truly auspicious or inauspicious" . The point is you are selecting which for what! If the day is asked for a family temple worship where forefather's are worshiped I will definitely suggest

Amavasya as Muhurta day. If the day asked for is a Vedic yaga, homa etc then I will never suggest an Amavaya day for the same. If the day is asked for a Tantric spiritual devi worship then I will definitely suggest Amavaysa, but if it is the marriage of a Vedic brahmin I will never suggest amavasya for the Muhurta. Note: Astrologer is a social servant - and so his personal opinions DOES NOT matter much in such situations, but instead social beliefs matters. Hope this helps.Love and regards,Sreenadh ancient_indian_ astrology, "Vishnu" <vishnumohanalj@ ...> wrote:>> Dear List,> > There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking new events or work?> > What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?> >

People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be good> > > Thanks and best wishes> > vishnu>

Guest guest

Sir,

//On a serious note,i learnt that real yogis who do intense meditation in unknown lands frequently do japa more than 30 days without minding the tithis //.

Kindly find out about tantra panchang published from Kashi Ji. RegardsKulbir Bains

Lalkitab Kb <lalkitabkb Sent: Tue, 9 February, 2010 6:54:32 AMRe: Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?

Sir, On the light note.

In dhayan experencing darkness has a special importance.

Tantra is the most misunderstood concept. RegardsKulbir Bains

Vishnu Mohan <vishnumohanalj@ >ancient_indian_ astrologyTue, 9 February, 2010 6:46:47 AMRe: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?

Dear Sreenadhji,

A very good explanation. The classification of Bhadra,nanda, rikta ,poorna is the main reason behind its auspicious nature according to the belief in the section of people belonging to Tamilnadu.

On a lighter note,Cine fields portray evil tantriks getting special powers do not start alone but start and complete their pooja on a amavasya day.In some films Pournami is also shown.

On a serious note,i learnt that real yogis who do intense meditation in unknown lands frequently do japa more than 30 days without minding the tithis .

Thanks and best wishes

vishnu

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, sreesog <sreesog > wrote:

sreesog <sreesog >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?ancient_indian_ astrologyTuesday, February 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Purnamanta). Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak... For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality) . The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Guest guest

Dear Sreenadhji,//1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya( Victory)- Rikta(Empty) -Poorna(Full) " classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious//IF i am not wrong ,the day after amavasya comes under Nanda tithiBut this day is considered as highly inauspicious in TN .Any thoughts on the same?Thanks and best wishesvishnu--- On Tue, 2/9/10, sreesog <sreesog wrote:sreesog <sreesog Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not? Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Purnamanta). Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak. For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality) . The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law

Guest guest

Dear Vishnu ji, Currently no-idea. But I will come back to it. But before that, I would like to here the responses and reasoning from others, and a confirmation 'whether it is actually so from some one from tamilnadu'. Love and regards,Sreenadh , Vishnu Mohan <vishnumohanalj wrote:>> Dear Sreenadhji,> //1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya( Victory)- Rikta(Empty) -Poorna(Full) " classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious//> IF i am not wrong ,the day after amavasya comes under Nanda tithiBut this day is considered as highly inauspicious in TN .> Any thoughts on the same?> > Thanks and best wishes> vishnu> > --- On Tue, 2/9/10, sreesog sreesog wrote:> > sreesog sreesog Re: Poorna amavasya -Good day or not?> > Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 11:07 AM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >  > > > > > > > > > > > Dear Vishnu ji,>   There are multiple reasoning behind this -> 1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good or bad nature of tithi is to use "Nanda (Good)-Bhadra (Fire)-Jaya( Victory)- Rikta(Empty) -Poorna(Full) " classification. Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and Rikta inauspicious. Amavasya is a Poorna Tithi and should be therefore treated as auspicious just like Panchami, Dasami, and Pancha dasi (Pournami and Amavasi). No wonder that Panchami (5th), Dasami (10th) and Pancha dasi (15th; Pournami and Amavasi) are treated as extremely auspicious where as Rikta Tithis such as Chaturthi (4th), Navami (9th) and Chaturdasi (14th) are treated as inauspicious. >  2) Sun is soul and Moon is Mind. A union of soul and mind should be treated as auspicious and is indicative of spirituality (a mind without confusion). Certainly this also makes Amavasi auspicious. >  3) We Asuras (non-devas; non-vedic people) value our forefathers and tradition. Moon is the significator of parampara. Further even the puranas imagines stories such as forefather's reside in Chandra loka (in Moon!) etc. :) Dakshinayana (not davayana) is the period of the Pitryana (time of forefather's) ; similarly the Krishna paksha is the Pitrpaksha (time of forefathers) . We value the advice of elders and forefathers than the assumed advice of gods - and is thus realistic. This also makes Amavaysa (the Poorna tithi in Krishna paksha, the day of the Pirts auspicious to us. It is a day dedicated to forefathers and family and NOT to devas (deities and gods). It is the day of the tantrics and not of vedics. This too makes Amavasya auspicious. >  3) Due to the above reasons numerous Lunar year systems from far ancient period starts with Amavaya only. It is called Amanta systems (the other system is Purnamanta). > >  Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on Amavasya day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak. For Moon "Paksha bala" (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated one; but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in the path of spirituality) . The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong ones survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and dedicate yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the law of the Tantrics! From the vedic> perspective this rule cannot be true; from the Astrological perspective of a 'controlled and balanced happy family life', this cannot be true. Every thing should not be as per the flow (as per the family advice and mother's wish), own decisions based on a strong and CONTROLLED mind is needed to follow the ETHICS. And for this the Moon should be strong! And so a day on which Moon is weak CANNOT be auspicious especially in Karmakandi acharas and ritualistic god worship. It cannot be auspicious for vedic deity worship neither as per vedic perspective, nor as per astrological perspective. Because here the perspective differ!!! >  So the astrologer should better be practical and selective in suggesting the day. "No day is truly auspicious or inauspicious" . The point is you are selecting which for what! If the day is asked for a family temple worship where forefather's are worshiped I will definitely suggest Amavasya as Muhurta day. If the day asked for is a Vedic yaga, homa etc then I will never suggest an Amavaya day for the same. If the day is asked for a Tantric spiritual devi worship then I will definitely suggest Amavaysa, but if it is the marriage of a Vedic brahmin I will never suggest amavasya for the Muhurta. > Note: Astrologer is a social servant - and so his personal opinions DOES NOT matter much in such situations, but instead social beliefs matters. Hope this helps.> Love and regards,> Sreenadh>  > ancient_indian_ astrology, "Vishnu" <vishnumohanalj@ ...> wrote:> >> > Dear List,> > > > There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is auspicious for undertaking new events or work?> > > > What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious day?> > > > People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is believed to be good> > > > > > Thanks and best wishes> > > > vishnu> >>

Guest guest

Yes Srinath ji,The day after amavasya (pradamai thiti)is very bad for anything.Noone pay/do/travel.Senthil

Guest guest

Good reply....

rgrds/Bhaskar.

, " sreesog " <sreesog

wrote:

>

> Dear Vishnu ji,

> There are multiple reasoning behind this -

> 1) Amavasya is a Tithi. One of the major parameters to derive the good

> or bad nature of tithi is to use " Nanda (Good)-Bhadra

> (Fire)-Jaya(Victory)-Rikta(Empty)-Poorna(Full) " classification.

> Nadna-Jaya-Poorna tithis are considered auspicious and Bhadra and

Rikta

> inauspicious. Amavasya is a Poorna Tithi and should be therefore

treated

> as auspicious just like Panchami, Dasami, and Pancha dasi (Pournami

and

> Amavasi). No wonder that Panchami (5th), Dasami (10th) and Pancha dasi

> (15th; Pournami and Amavasi) are treated as extremely auspicious where

> as Rikta Tithis such as Chaturthi (4th), Navami (9th) and Chaturdasi

> (14th) are treated as inauspicious.

> 2) Sun is soul and Moon is Mind. A union of soul and mind should be

> treated as auspicious and is indicative of spirituality (a mind

without

> confusion). Certainly this also makes Amavasi auspicious.

> 3) We Asuras (non-devas; non-vedic people) value our forefathers and

> tradition. Moon is the significator of parampara. Further even the

> puranas imagines stories such as forefather's reside in Chandra loka

(in

> Moon!) etc. :) Dakshinayana (not davayana) is the period of the

Pitryana

> (time of forefather's); similarly the Krishna paksha is the Pitrpaksha

> (time of forefathers). We value the advice of elders and forefathers

> than the assumed advice of gods - and is thus realistic. This also

makes

> Amavaysa (the Poorna tithi in Krishna paksha, the day of the Pirts

> auspicious to us. It is a day dedicated to forefathers and family and

> NOT to devas (deities and gods). It is the day of the tantrics and not

> of vedics. This too makes Amavasya auspicious.

> 3) Due to the above reasons numerous Lunar year systems from far

> ancient period starts with Amavaya only. It is called Amanta systems

> (the other system is Purnamanta).

>

> Thus the reasoning is well logical and reasonable. Now let us look at

> the other side of the coin. Amavasya is inauspicious because on

Amavasya

> day Moon would be weak; i.e. Mind would be weak. For Moon " Paksha

bala "

> (strength of fortnight) is important, and for Moon in Krishna paksha

> Paksha bala is weak, and it becomes extreme weak on Amavasya. The day

> could be good for spirituality and enlightenment for the dedicated

one;

> but could be misleading and corrupting to the non-dedicated one (in

the

> path of spirituality). The week seeds gets destroyed and the strong

ones

> survive - the fundamental law of Tantric cult! There is no 'saving all

> but saving none in reality' approach of Vedism; there is no false

> ethics. If you are inherently powerful (one with the soul) and

dedicate

> yourself to her (Bhavani's ) wish then you survive - otherwise not! If

> you follow the forefathers then you survive otherwise not! That is the

> law of the Tantrics! From the vedic perspective this rule cannot be

> true; from the Astrological perspective of a 'controlled and balanced

> happy family life', this cannot be true. Every thing should not be as

> per the flow (as per the family advice and mother's wish), own

decisions

> based on a strong and CONTROLLED mind is needed to follow the ETHICS.

> And for this the Moon should be strong! And so a day on which Moon is

> weak CANNOT be auspicious especially in Karmakandi acharas and

> ritualistic god worship. It cannot be auspicious for vedic deity

worship

> neither as per vedic perspective, nor as per astrological perspective.

> Because here the perspective differ!!!

> So the astrologer should better be practical and selective in

> suggesting the day. " No day is truly auspicious or inauspicious " . The

> point is you are selecting which for what! If the day is asked for a

> family temple worship where forefather's are worshiped I will

definitely

> suggest Amavasya as Muhurta day. If the day asked for is a Vedic yaga,

> homa etc then I will never suggest an Amavaya day for the same. If the

> day is asked for a Tantric spiritual devi worship then I will

definitely

> suggest Amavaysa, but if it is the marriage of a Vedic brahmin I will

> never suggest amavasya for the Muhurta.

> Note: Astrologer is a social servant - and so his personal opinions

DOES

> NOT matter much in such situations, but instead social beliefs

matters.

> Hope this helps.

> Love and regards,

> Sreenadh

>

> , " Vishnu "

> vishnumohanalj@ wrote:

> >

> > Dear List,

> >

> > There is a common belief among some section of people that Poorna

> Amavasya(new moon day) is a good day,by which i mean the day is

> auspicious for undertaking new events or work?

> >

> > What is the rationale behind conisdering Amavasya as a auspicious

day?

> >

> > People normally undertake new work in the waxing half as it is

> believed to be good

> >

> >

> > Thanks and best wishes

> >

> > vishnu

> >