IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

(Jain School of astrology)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Neelam ji,==>> There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak of> vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc.<== I know and heard, but yet to have a copy or better a copy with commentry of the above texts; If you can help me in getting a copy of Suryvigyapti (Surya Prajnapti?), Chandravigyapti (Chandra Prajnapti?), and Kalkasamhita I would be much greatful. The following message may give you an idea about the known contribution of Jain astrologers. /message/372==>> Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and> astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,> Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar. <== I am yet to see or have a copy of any of works of Chandrasen, Mahaveerachara, Narchandra (Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika) or Atthakavi (Atthamat). I would be thankful about any further information about the same as well. ==>> Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> tribute to these learned souls.<== I truly agree with those words. Love and regards,Sreenadh , "neelam gupta" <neelamgupta07 wrote:>> Dear Sreenadh ji,> Thanks once again for interesting info. I am amazed at your knowledge about> various shastras.> It quite true that we can draw vast astrological knowledge from various Jain> shatras.> There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak of> vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc. There> was Kalkacharya, who probably wrote Kalkasamhita. Then there was Brahmagupt,> another famous jyotirvid of that era who is mentioned by Bhatotpal in his> commentaries. Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and> astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,> Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar. These> are a few famous names. Lot of literature is lying scattered, waiting to be> discovered.> Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> tribute to these learned souls.> Regards> neelam> On 29/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog wrote:> >> > Dear Neelam ji,> > ==>> > > I have of late got interested in checking Jain Shastras' take on> > astrology> > > (may be coz I'm a Jain by birth). If I am able to get something> > noteworthy,> > > I'll share it with the group.> > <==> > Thanks for the word about sharing info. :) The Jain has a great> > history - from the Vedic period itself. The first Teerthankara Rishabha deva> > is mentioned in Vedas itself. For the current nirayana astrology we discuss> > here we are indebted much to the Jain tradition. A detailed study of the> > history and astrological texts gives us the intuition that this ancient> > knowledge originated somewhere outside India (may be in Parthian kingdom, or> > under Zoroastrian rule, or from Sindhu-Sarsvati) but for sure later it is> > propagated to South India through Gujarat by the Jains for sure; and without> > the unique flow this knowledge would have been extinct by till date. Sage> > garga was a Jain as well as his son Rishiputra, whom Mihira mentions with> > much respect and quotes heavily.> > Because of all these, I have a great interest in Jain books of> > astrology, but like the Grandha script of south, most of the old Jain books> > are written in Prakrit, and it is one of the least researched areas -> > especially related to astrology. Usually I find that the approach of Jain> > scholars towards astrology is unique and the texts provide some unique info> > that is not found in other texts. For Jains too astrology was borrowed> > knowledge, the original source still in mystery; but for sure they> > elaborated it much.> > It is a sad fact that most of the Jains are not much interested in their> > great history, and is not trying to preserve the rare and worthy texts of> > their tradition. Even the history and texts after Mahaveera is getting lost,> > what to say about the texts before Mahaveera?!! Along with Bhadrabahu Mourya> > came to Karnataka leaving behind his great teacher Vishnugupta (Chanakya)> > who himself was an astrologer who is supposed to have written Vishnu gupta> > hora many quotes of which is available to us even today. Aryabhata the great> > astronomer from Kerala was for sure a Jain - as clear from the mention of> > Apasarpini-Ulsarpini Yuga system with Sushama-Dushma periods in it. I> > am pained by the fact that the texts and knowledge contribution of this> > great tradition is not getting proper attention. At least people like you> > should come forward to collect and preserve at least some of the ancient> > knowledge they had.> > Love and regards,> > Sreenadh> >> > , "neelam gupta"> > neelamgupta07@ wrote:> > >> > > Dear Sreenadh ji,> > > I had come across this text in the temple collections of Shri Mahavir ji> > in> > > rajasthan 4-5 years back. They have several manuscripts which are lying> > > unused. One of the acharyas was discussing the horoscopes of people and> > > referred to this text which he was holding in his hands. Looked like a> > hand> > > written manuscript in Prakrit language. It was called Pakshri or may be> > > Paakshri (if we write in English). He also mentioned that he was trying> > to> > > translate it. Since I was not a student of astrology at that time, I> > didn't> > > think of keeping the reference, but his words stuck in my memory. I> > > should've checked myself before quoting from an unknown source. I'll try> > and> > > collect the reference asap.> > > I have of late got interested in checking Jain Shastras' take on> > astrology> > > (may be coz I'm a Jain by birth). If I am able to get something> > noteworthy,> > > I'll share it with the group.> > > Thanks once again Sreenadh ji for showing us the scientific way of doing> > > astrology.> > > Regards> > > neelam> > >> > >> > > On 29/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog@ wrote:> > > >> > > > Dear Neelam Gupta ji,> > > > > *Jain Granth Pakshri* says that when retrograde, all planets are as> > > > strong as they are in> > > > > their Mooltrikon signs.> > > > Can you tell us something about this text "Pakshri" - who wrote it,> > > > what is the content dealt within, what is the period of the text, what> > are> > > > the unique infos the text provides and so on (a review) ?> > > > Love and regards,> > > > Sreenadh> > > >> > >> > > >>

Guest guest

Dear Sreenadh ji,Thank you for your encouraging words.As I told you, I am a very new entrant in this search. I've just started exploring the availability of these texts.I will surely let you know if I find any of these references.

Kalkasamhita is already lost it seems.Some of the texts are available in Jain Oriental Library, at Jain Siddhant Bhavan in Arra.I don't know how many of these have been translated or have commentaries.

In quest...NeelamOn 30/01/2008, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Dear Neelam ji,==>> There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak of> vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc.

<== I know and heard, but yet to have a copy or better a copy with commentry of the above texts; If you can help me in getting a copy of Suryvigyapti (Surya Prajnapti?), Chandravigyapti (Chandra Prajnapti?), and Kalkasamhita I would be much greatful.

The following message may give you an idea about the known contribution of Jain astrologers. /message/372

==>> Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and> astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,

> Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar. <== I am yet to see or have a copy of any of works of Chandrasen, Mahaveerachara, Narchandra (Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika) or Atthakavi (Atthamat). I would be thankful about any further information about the same as well.

==>> Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> tribute to these learned souls.<== I truly agree with those words. Love and regards,

Sreenadh , " neelam gupta " <neelamgupta07 wrote:

>> Dear Sreenadh ji,> Thanks once again for interesting info. I am amazed at your knowledge about> various shastras.> It quite true that we can draw vast astrological knowledge from various Jain

> shatras.> There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak of> vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc. There> was Kalkacharya, who probably wrote Kalkasamhita. Then there was Brahmagupt,

> another famous jyotirvid of that era who is mentioned by Bhatotpal in his> commentaries. Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and

> astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,> Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar. These

> are a few famous names. Lot of literature is lying scattered, waiting to be> discovered.> Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> tribute to these learned souls.

> Regards> neelam> On 29/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog wrote:> >> > Dear Neelam ji,> > ==>> > > I have of late got interested in checking Jain Shastras' take on

> > astrology> > > (may be coz I'm a Jain by birth). If I am able to get something> > noteworthy,> > > I'll share it with the group.> > <==> > Thanks for the word about sharing info. :) The Jain has a great

> > history - from the Vedic period itself. The first Teerthankara Rishabha deva> > is mentioned in Vedas itself. For the current nirayana astrology we discuss> > here we are indebted much to the Jain tradition. A detailed study of the

> > history and astrological texts gives us the intuition that this ancient> > knowledge originated somewhere outside India (may be in Parthian kingdom, or> > under Zoroastrian rule, or from Sindhu-Sarsvati) but for sure later it is

> > propagated to South India through Gujarat by the Jains for sure; and without> > the unique flow this knowledge would have been extinct by till date. Sage> > garga was a Jain as well as his son Rishiputra, whom Mihira mentions with

> > much respect and quotes heavily.> > Because of all these, I have a great interest in Jain books of> > astrology, but like the Grandha script of south, most of the old Jain books> > are written in Prakrit, and it is one of the least researched areas -

> > especially related to astrology. Usually I find that the approach of Jain> > scholars towards astrology is unique and the texts provide some unique info> > that is not found in other texts. For Jains too astrology was borrowed

> > knowledge, the original source still in mystery; but for sure they> > elaborated it much.> > It is a sad fact that most of the Jains are not much interested in their> > great history, and is not trying to preserve the rare and worthy texts of

> > their tradition. Even the history and texts after Mahaveera is getting lost,> > what to say about the texts before Mahaveera?!! Along with Bhadrabahu Mourya> > came to Karnataka leaving behind his great teacher Vishnugupta (Chanakya)

> > who himself was an astrologer who is supposed to have written Vishnu gupta> > hora many quotes of which is available to us even today. Aryabhata the great> > astronomer from Kerala was for sure a Jain - as clear from the mention of

> > Apasarpini-Ulsarpini Yuga system with Sushama-Dushma periods in it. I> > am pained by the fact that the texts and knowledge contribution of this> > great tradition is not getting proper attention. At least people like you

> > should come forward to collect and preserve at least some of the ancient> > knowledge they had.> > Love and regards,> > Sreenadh> >> > , " neelam gupta "

> > neelamgupta07@ wrote:> > >> > > Dear Sreenadh ji,> > > I had come across this text in the temple collections of Shri Mahavir ji> > in> > > rajasthan 4-5 years back. They have several manuscripts which are lying

> > > unused. One of the acharyas was discussing the horoscopes of people and> > > referred to this text which he was holding in his hands. Looked like a> > hand> > > written manuscript in Prakrit language. It was called Pakshri or may be

> > > Paakshri (if we write in English). He also mentioned that he was trying> > to> > > translate it. Since I was not a student of astrology at that time, I> > didn't> > > think of keeping the reference, but his words stuck in my memory. I

> > > should've checked myself before quoting from an unknown source. I'll try> > and> > > collect the reference asap.> > > I have of late got interested in checking Jain Shastras' take on

> > astrology> > > (may be coz I'm a Jain by birth). If I am able to get something> > noteworthy,> > > I'll share it with the group.> > > Thanks once again Sreenadh ji for showing us the scientific way of doing

> > > astrology.> > > Regards> > > neelam> > >> > >> > > On 29/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog@ wrote:> > > >> > > > Dear Neelam Gupta ji,

> > > > > *Jain Granth Pakshri* says that when retrograde, all planets are as> > > > strong as they are in> > > > > their Mooltrikon signs.> > > > Can you tell us something about this text " Pakshri " - who wrote it,

> > > > what is the content dealt within, what is the period of the text, what> > are> > > > the unique infos the text provides and so on (a review) ?> > > > Love and regards,

> > > > Sreenadh> > > >> > >> > > >>

Guest guest

Dear Neelam ji,

> Some of the texts are available in Jain

Oriental Library, at Jain Siddhant Bhavan in Arra.

Please provide some more info about this - where is Arra? How much

accessibility is possible to avail the copy of these text or better a list of

the available jain astrological texts in prakrit with commentary.

Love and regards,

Sreenadh , "neelam gupta" <neelamgupta07 wrote:>> Dear Sreenadh ji,> Thank you for your encouraging words.> As I told you, I am a very new entrant in this search. I've just started> exploring the availability of these texts.> I will surely let you know if I find any of these references.> Kalkasamhita is already lost it seems.> Some of the texts are available in Jain Oriental Library, at Jain Siddhant> Bhavan in Arra.> I don't know how many of these have been translated or have commentaries.> In quest...> Neelam> > > On 30/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog wrote:> >> > Dear Neelam ji,> > ==>> > > There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak> > of> > > vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc.> > <==> > I know and heard, but yet to have a copy or better a copy with> > commentry of the above texts; If you can help me in getting a copy of> > Suryvigyapti (Surya Prajnapti?), Chandravigyapti (Chandra Prajnapti?), and> > Kalkasamhita I would be much greatful.> > The following message may give you an idea about the known contribution> > of Jain astrologers.> > /message/372> > ==>> > > Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> > > with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and> > > astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,> > > Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> > > Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar.> > <==> > I am yet to see or have a copy of any of works of Chandrasen,> > Mahaveerachara, Narchandra (Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika) or> > Atthakavi (Atthamat). I would be thankful about any further information> > about the same as well.> > ==>> > > Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> > > tribute to these learned souls.> > <==> > I truly agree with those words.> > Love and regards,> > Sreenadh

Guest guest

Dear Sreenadh ji,Arra is in Bihar. Complete address is Jain Oriental Library, Jain Siddhant Bhavan, Devashram-Mahadeva Road, Arra, Bihar 802301. I guess some of the books available there, or may be published by them are:

Narchandra Jyotish, Panchangphal,

Prashnopnishad, Gyanpradeepika, Kewalgyanhora by Muni Chandersen (this probably

is a misnomer and does not have astrology). A catalogue was published by them in 1997-98 (Ref: SHRI DEVAKUMAR JAIN ORIENTAL LIBRARY, Jain Siddhanta Bhavan, Arrah. – Catalogue of Sanskrit, Prakrit, Apabhramsa & Hindi Manuscripts - Jaina Siddhanta Bhavana Granthavali. The Jaina Antiquary – Jainasiddhantabhaskara 50-51 (1997-1998) i-xiii. 1-173. 1-309.)

Shri Subodh K. Jain is the Managing Director at present. http://jainmanuscripts.gov.in/arrah.aspx is the link for this library. The process of collection and digitisation is on but so far they've not introduced anything online.

All the Pracheen Jain temples are a very rich source of old manuscripts and books. This treasure is taken out only once during Jalyatra in the form of a procession and then kept inside the temple. This centre is trying to procure obscure material from such places and bringing it out. I'll let you know if I get anymore info on this.

Best regardsneelamOn 31/01/2008, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Dear Neelam ji,

> Some of the texts are available in Jain

Oriental Library, at Jain Siddhant Bhavan in Arra.

Please provide some more info about this - where is Arra? How much

accessibility is possible to avail the copy of these text or better a list of

the available jain astrological texts in prakrit with commentary.

Love and regards,

Sreenadh , " neelam gupta " <neelamgupta07 wrote:

>> Dear Sreenadh ji,> Thank you for your encouraging words.> As I told you, I am a very new entrant in this search. I've just started> exploring the availability of these texts.

> I will surely let you know if I find any of these references.> Kalkasamhita is already lost it seems.> Some of the texts are available in Jain Oriental Library, at Jain Siddhant> Bhavan in Arra.

> I don't know how many of these have been translated or have commentaries.> In quest...> Neelam> > > On 30/01/2008, Sreenadh sreesog wrote:

> >> > Dear Neelam ji,> > ==>> > > There are texts like Suryavigyapti, Chandravigyapti and Jyotishkarandak> > of> > > vedic times. As you've mentioned about rishi Garg, Rishiputra, etc.

> > <==> > I know and heard, but yet to have a copy or better a copy with> > commentry of the above texts; If you can help me in getting a copy of> > Suryvigyapti (Surya Prajnapti?), Chandravigyapti (Chandra Prajnapti?), and

> > Kalkasamhita I would be much greatful.> > The following message may give you an idea about the known contribution> > of Jain astrologers.> > /message/372

> > ==>> > > Chandrasen, Shripati, Mahaviracharya are all Jain sages along> > > with Aryabatt, who propounded various theories in maths, astronomy and> > > astrology. Padmprabhu Suri was a Jain acharya who wrote Bhuvan Deepak,

> > > Narchandra wrote Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika among others,> > > Atthakavi in south gave us Atthamat which was translated by Bhaskar.> > <==> > I am yet to see or have a copy of any of works of Chandrasen,

> > Mahaveerachara, Narchandra (Gyandeepika and Prashnchaturvarshatika) or> > Atthakavi (Atthamat). I would be thankful about any further information> > about the same as well.> > ==>

> > > Even if we could salvage a miniscule part of this goldmine, it could be> > > tribute to these learned souls.> > <==> > I truly agree with those words.> > Love and regards,

> > Sreenadh